Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

PBS Newshour posted:

Uhh.... dog eared?

is it ... A CLUE?!

:dogbutton:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Matrimony Maker

edit: vvv :eyepop:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I made that image my facebook banner and someone immediately commented with this

Fluke is a perfect name for this

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

mmmm :yum:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

This is a powerful avatar.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No Such Thing posted:

I heard on NPR that not only are "Cat Mystery Novels" a thing, but the writers get into heated arguments over whether or not the cats should talk.

I used to have them in my house on my parents' shelf of books. There was one called "The Cat Who Sniffed Glue."

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Was the twist that Glue was the name of another cat

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Really annoyed you just spoiled this for me.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Oh well

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FirstAidKite posted:

The cover has a bottle of glue with a skull and crossbones on it so... maybe??

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

quote:

Qwilleran, or Qwill as his friends call him, is the main human character in the books. He was born Merlin James Qwilleran, a fact explained by his mother (in a letter to Francesca Klingenschoen) as a product of reading King Arthur during her pregnancy.

quote:

Koko’s most notable characteristic is his sixth sense. On the surface, his actions are not that extraordinary; they are things that any energetic and healthy cat might do from time to time. He might dig up small pieces of evidence, for instance, or point something out to Qwilleran by acting extremely attracted to it. He has also been known to use seemingly random yowls or body language to communicate things, especially when a death is caused by foul play: he has both a "death howl" and a unique "death dance". Sometimes Qwilleran does not immediately recognize the significance of Koko’s actions, and sometimes will not recognize them at all (if they occur before Qwill has the slightest idea of any misdemeanor), at least not until the case has been solved. He also seems to have the power to trigger certain important events, such as causing a blackout by sitting in the middle of a pyramid.
[...]
Qwilleran believes Koko has his unusually strong sixth sense because he has 30 whiskers on each side of his face (60 in total), while most cats have 24 (48 in total). Whiskers are significant in the stories because, as mentioned earlier, Qwill often has a tingling sensation in his moustache when he is on the right train of thought when a case is involved, and a moustache can be called "whiskers."

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I tried to get into Witcher 3 again today, and again got bored about an hour in

In theory it's the kind of game I'd love, focus on characterization, plot etc and all that with effectively window dressing gameplay (on Easy anyway)

In practice it just doesn't hold me :shrug:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

quote:

In the latest mystery in the New York Times bestselling Cat in the Stacks series, librarian Charlie Harris and his Maine Coon cat Diesel must clear a friend when the evidence is stacked against her…

Springtime in Mississippi is abloom with beauty, but the library’s employees are too busy worrying to stop and smell the flowers. The new library director, Oscar Reilly, is a brash, unfriendly Yankee who’s on a mission to cut costs—and his first targets are the archive and the rare book collection.

As annoying as a long-overdue book, Reilly quickly raises the hackles of everyone on staff, including Charlie’s fiery friend Melba—whom Reilly wants to replace with someone younger. But his biggest offense is declaring all four-legged creatures banned from the stacks.

With enemies aplenty, the suspect list is long when Reilly's body is discovered in the library. But things take a turn for the worse when a threatening e-mail throws suspicion on Melba.

Charlie is convinced that his friend is no murderer, especially when he catches sight of a menacing stranger lurking around the library. Now he and Diesel will have to read between the lines, before Melba is shelved under “G” for guilty…

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Until now I thought Lilian Jackson Braun had a complete monopoly on the cat mystery concept, do you think she sends anonymous death threats to people who step in on her turf

also lol "bestselling author of Arsenic and Old Books yeah we get it, we get the joke

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

lets hang out posted:

is it ok for cats to eat cheesecake

If they don't have chocolate in 'em it should be.

As an occasional treat mind u. Besides the fat, dairy gives kitties gas and other intestinal problems when they eat too much, despite them really liking it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Prop Wash posted:

Until now I thought Lilian Jackson Braun had a complete monopoly on the cat mystery concept, do you think she sends anonymous death threats to people who step in on her turf
She died in 2011 at the age of 97, so I'd hope not! Otherwise we'll have to get a Cat Exorcist on the case.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FirstAidKite posted:

I can't believe quincy murdered gabe n

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70utG1L5bfU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz8HTPGQpBU

Watched this while playing rocket league :D

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Prop Wash posted:

Cat Who is scrub tier, my stepmom is super into this stuff and now she has a series of mystery books all themed on cats plus chocolate. Actually I think she finished those and went on to a series of cats plus playing cards. Also I think a series of cats plus colors plus kinds of dances

It sounds insane at first blush that there are so many mystery+cat+food books, but demographics prove otherwise

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ciaphas posted:

I tried to get into Witcher 3 again today, and again got bored about an hour in

In theory it's the kind of game I'd love, focus on characterization, plot etc and all that with effectively window dressing gameplay (on Easy anyway)

In practice it just doesn't hold me :shrug:

I made it about 25 hours in and once I realized that I was still in Velen and that this game was Never Going to End I kind of lost all momentum. Got to always have the light at the end of the tunnel.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The Kins posted:

She died in 2011 at the age of 97, so I'd hope not! Otherwise we'll have to get a Cat Exorcist on the case.

The cat who ghostwrote popular mystery novels

exquisite tea posted:

I made it about 25 hours in and once I realized that I was still in Velen and that this game was Never Going to End I kind of lost all momentum. Got to always have the light at the end of the tunnel.

What Witcher 3 does well though is that it stops awarding experience for lower level quests, which serves to push players away from lingering too long. In practice it's weird because I'll happily run through a dungeon for which I'm overleveled if there's some neat story at the end of it, and the level system is really janky anyway (do I really need to be Arbitrary Level 18 to literally be able to hold this sword). So the game lets you gently caress around as much as you want, it just makes it clear that you won't be rewarded for it.

I don't know if they expect you to play through it multiple times though, I feel like I'd be frustrated slogging through the mandatory main story quests just to run in a different direction in Velen this time.

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 29, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Unfunny Poster posted:

I used to have them in my house on my parents' shelf of books. There was one called "The Cat Who Sniffed Glue."

I caught my mom reading this exact book and gave her an odd look. She claimed it was a pretty much a straight up mystery series along the lines of the alphabet series ("M is for Murder" etc) but the main character is a crazy cat lady.

That fat cat mystery book needs to be made into a TV series though, I'd be all over that. Murder She Wrote meets Garfield I mean come on

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Just leave Velen if you don't want to be there anymore?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

By no longer playing the Witcher 3 I have, indeed, left Velen.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I bought the Hitman intro pack, and was still thoroughly surprised by how much I liked it, despite seeing it touted as Blood Money 2 for a while. I'm really glad that they carried over the contracts concept from Absolution, because it works so much better here. Replaying the maps is a blast, and it's a good sign to see value in what's essentially an Early Access AAA title. I got on GMG for twelve bucks, and it was super worth it.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
EDGE magazine visited Playtronic's office to discuss about the new Banjo-Kazo-- I mean Yooka-Laylee. Sounds like this won't be another Mighty No. 9.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am very excited for Yooka-Laylee. I've never played a banjo kazooie game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAoEzP9_uNo

If nothing else Ellen McLain is an amazingly cool lady for being game for this.

bloodychill posted:

I caught my mom reading this exact book and gave her an odd look. She claimed it was a pretty much a straight up mystery series along the lines of the alphabet series ("M is for Murder" etc) but the main character is a crazy cat lady.

That fat cat mystery book needs to be made into a TV series though, I'd be all over that. Murder She Wrote meets Garfield I mean come on

"Cozy mysteries" where the protagonists are non-threatening and all have some single gimmick to appeal to old women like knowing a lot about teddy bears or being gardeners or being crazy cat ladies and all the edges are sanded off are super popular. Honestly I'd rather my (grand)mother was into those instead of gross fetishistic portrayals of rape and murder on Criminal Minds and Law & Orders: SVU.

e.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

PBS Newshour posted:

To Skin a Cat - Its Silence of the Lambs, but you know, Buffalo Bill is a cat skinning cats
Man Zootopia 2 got real dark

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

VideoGames posted:

I've played two Banjo-Kazooie games and they make me cautiously pessimistic about Yooka-Laylee. The first one was okay but too bloated and reliant on gimmicks and special moves you only use a few times. Banjo-Tooie picked up where it left off and got even more bloated, while also making you do a shitload of busywork. If they learn from that and significantly scale back the number of abilities and complexity of fetch quests and focus more on the core platforming mechanics and making environments worth exploring it could be good. It probably depends on how they feel Banjo-Tooie turned out, but the closer they are to thinking it was an abject failure the more hope I have for the quality of Yooka-Laylee.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i'm 60 pages in and cat sherlock holmes is still just hissing at the hounds of baskerville. gonna stick with it though

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

HMS Boromir posted:

The first one was okay but too bloated and reliant on gimmicks and special moves you only use a few times.

hmm explain. go

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

oddium posted:

i'm 60 pages in and cat sherlock holmes is still just hissing at the hounds of baskerville. gonna stick with it though

I'm pretty sure at some point I saw a book where Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn were reincarnated as cats.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

oddium posted:

hmm explain. go

Now that I give it more thought, Banjo-Kazooie got okay use out of its special moves, although I certainly could've done with fewer of them, as well as fewer minigames and more actually exploring a cool world. Also there was this one loving attack that was useless except for the one time it was mandatory.

Banjo-Tooie, on the other hand, decided to more or less take everything from the first game and then build a second, equally large ziggurat of special moves on top of it, most of which have very specific uses. Then it adds such exciting worlds to explore as "factory that you can't even get into without loving around in other worlds, also getting a single jiggy in it takes like an hour". Banjo-Tooie is a bad game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I think it's pretty obvious that at that stage Rare was tired of making cutesy mascot collect-a-thon platformers which is why half of Banjo-Tooie is an FPS and why Twelve Tales: Conker 64 became Conker's Bad Fur day and why they haven't made another once since leaving Nintendo. Even Banjo-Threeie wound up being a weird physics-based vehicle building game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Guy Mann posted:

I think it's pretty obvious that at that stage Rare was tired of making cutesy mascot collect-a-thon platformers which is why half of Banjo-Tooie is an FPS and why Twelve Tales: Conker 64 became Conker's Bad Fur day and why they haven't made another once since leaving Nintendo. Even Banjo-Threeie wound up being a weird physics-based vehicle building game.

It doesn't really make sense to think of Rare as a single entity that got "tired" of doing certain kinds of games considering how every stage of the company you're describing corresponded to people leaving/new people being in charge. Conker's Bad Fur Day basically only exists as it does because one guy thought it'd be funny.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Playing Bastion for the first time and I have to say that while I liked the narration at first I really kind of want him to just shut up at this point. It's just, I don't know, trying way too hard.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

VideoGames posted:

There's no better time to start than the present! Banjo-Kazooie is an amazing game, and even Tooie is alright despite the bloat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Are there any JRPGs on PC that are actually good?

The Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy is great

• Locked thread