Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Don't even click that link unless you're done reading the web novel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I'm glad I read your post before doing so, though it is unfortunate that your warning isn't on the same page as his link.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the guy who posted the link said it had spoilers, what more do you need

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Specificity. Which Vanilla Mint Ice thankfully provided.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
To be pedantic there are different types of spoilers; spoilers up to current episodes, spoilers for future episodes, spoilers for light novel material and finally spoilers for web novel material. The spoilers in that link way excels everything else far and beyond. In terms of this show which is slated to run for two cours, it has spoilers for the fourth cours. In terms of the light novels it has spoilers into more than double the volume of what is currently published. And the way this material is written, broadly speaking for example something in 300th chapter can change your interpretation of the 200th chapter which previously changed your interpretation of 100th chapter so you ruin alot of the fun of the process by skipping all the way to the 300th.

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 29, 2016

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqmwQp8QgMo

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

While waiting, here's the preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y08BtAuzM6k

myanmyanmyanmyanmyan

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

nielsm posted:

myanmyanmyanmyanmyan

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I laughed but I feel bad about it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:argh: Tennis :argh:

https://twitter.com/Rezero_official/status/736724675410067457

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

a kitten posted:

myanmyanmyanmyanmyan
So you were the villain all along!!?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The japanese guy lost, next episode airs in 40 minutes (in japan, no idea when crunchyroll releases it).

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Subaru is the best protagonist in anime because he has generic attitude but actually well justified and bloody well deserved. Also feat. real human emotions and reactions including genuine fear. I love this anime.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh hey, it's out on CR.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Barusu = Balls

He's got some.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Herbotron posted:

The dog is a shaman.

Well then. I was pretty sure the dog was the vector for the curse but I did not expect this to be literally true. I look forwards the final battle between demon twins and a glowing dog ft. useless car.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Lestaki posted:

Well then. I was pretty sure the dog was the vector for the curse but I did not expect this to be literally true. I look forwards the final battle between demon twins and a glowing dog ft. useless car.

I felt pretty good about figuring out the dog as the vector, but yeah, I did not see this coming at all. Also, this means that besides Subaru/Subaru/Rem's deaths to the curse, there's been a village full of dead children every loop.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Subaru is the best protagonist in anime because he has generic attitude but actually well justified and bloody well deserved. Also feat. real human emotions and reactions including genuine fear. I love this anime.

Yeah, I know some people knocked early on because "Oh boy, it's Transported to a Fantasy World Story #3232356", but it is so, so much better than that. The suffering is loving real, and given what we've seen so far I really doubt that things are going to get better for Subaru. I don't like watching him suffer, specifically, but it's just so well-written that I can't resist.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

they spent way too much time with that dog for it to be anything but evil. i do like the idea that subaru engineered the calisthenics lesson so that the old lady would touch his butt, but no one else would.

The Lord of Hats posted:

I felt pretty good about figuring out the dog as the vector, but yeah, I did not see this coming at all. Also, this means that besides Subaru/Subaru/Rem's deaths to the curse, there's been a village full of dead children every loop.

the link between "go to village" and "rosewaal leaves for business" is so tenuous that i'm not willing to take anything as a constant.

e: i suppose it might have more to do with subaru being very enthusiastic and on top of things at the estate. still not satisfied with that though. personally, if you're doing a story about time travel or similar, the result of messing with causality either needs to be obvious or clearly explained.

coolskull fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 30, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

God drat, even with the built in reset mechanism this show keeps me completely on edge. That's impressive.

So, Rem and Ram are oni then? Horns. Red and Blue. Very strong.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

a kitten posted:

So, Rem and Ram are oni then? Horns. Red and Blue. Very strong.

Actually, in a surprise twist, they're rhinoceros.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Just binged through all nine episodes. This show is fantastic, probably going to be my number one show this season, despite how much I'm liking JoJo part 4. Depends on whether it can keep things going into whatever the next arc is, I guess.

I feel they did a better job than usual of making the protag likable. The fact that we get to see him die horribly gives him a lot more sympathy, and makes his dumb antics actually a bit understandable as opposed to just being cliche. Really, just in general it feels like the author actually put a lot of effort into writing this and is semi-competent at it, unlike most light novel series. This is basically what I was looking for in Overlord in terms of pathos.

Very glad it's two cour.

e: Since I need a new avatar, anyone got ideas for something from the show that would make a good animated one?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
something like this except animated

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Dog being the Shaman was unexpected but at least fits Knox's rules.

Considering Subaru survived past the first check point while still injured I have reasons to believe there isn't another loop here. As long as the villagers survive this loop then I think it meets all of his requirements for success.

Jackard posted:

something like this except animated

This is perfect.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Had a look at the combined web novel PDF, and with episode 9, the anime has covered the equivalent of 1014 pages, out of a total 10103 pages. This means one episode is around 1% of the material, so this season of anime will probably end up adapting about a quarter of what's currently available. So... three more seasons after this one?

For reference, volume 1 of the light novel edition takes 288 pages to cover 337 pages of the web novel PDF, so it's not a completely accurate estimation. Minus some for illustrations and whatnot, I guess.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Genocyber posted:

e: Since I need a new avatar, anyone got ideas for something from the show that would make a good animated one?

But really, some variation of the :darksouls: You Died would be perfect.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

they spent way too much time with that dog for it to be anything but evil. i do like the idea that subaru engineered the calisthenics lesson so that the old lady would touch his butt, but no one else would.

the link between "go to village" and "rosewaal leaves for business" is so tenuous that i'm not willing to take anything as a constant.

e: i suppose it might have more to do with subaru being very enthusiastic and on top of things at the estate. still not satisfied with that though. personally, if you're doing a story about time travel or similar, the result of messing with causality either needs to be obvious or clearly explained.

It could be a case of him just getting more trust in this loop, meaning Rosewaal feels secure in leaving the mansion with Subaru there. Going to the village wasn't the direct reason for him leaving, it was just that Subaru going there ended up with him being more trusted.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Going to the village probably didn't influence that directly. If anything changed Roswaal's opinion, it would be the nighttime talk with Ram.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Slime posted:

It could be a case of him just getting more trust in this loop, meaning Rosewaal feels secure in leaving the mansion with Subaru there. Going to the village wasn't the direct reason for him leaving, it was just that Subaru going there ended up with him being more trusted.

Except that I feel like Roswaal trusted him less on this loop, if anything. Except that he can't have been instructing Rem and Ram to kill Subaru (which *might* have happened on loop 2? I don't know why Rem would've killed him that time, otherwise), because they were willing to trust him on the whole village thing. Roswaal has to have something going on that we haven't seen yet, I can't think of another explanation.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Considering Subaru survived past the first check point while still injured I have reasons to believe there isn't another loop here. As long as the villagers survive this loop then I think it meets all of his requirements for success.

That's an interesting question, isn't it? Is it better to progress from here without a reputation as a hero and Rem's admiration/trust, or avoid the catastrophe of the barrier being broken/children kidnapped/etc? The way the show's been going so far, it feels more likely that he would reset again and come up with some way to avert the dogshaman incident altogether, losing the majority of the ground he had made up.

That being said, there are events (lap pillow/cry) in this timeline that seem unlikely to naturally come up again, and we've spent long enough on these four or five days in a very well directed and paced show, that he could easily enough get a new checkpoint.

Here's an interesting question for you- Why is Emilia on house arrest now when she was free to explore all of the nastiest and seediest back alleys of the major city just a few days previously? Anxiety over the Bowel Hunter perhaps trying to nab the tag again?

The Lord of Hats posted:

Except that I feel like Roswaal trusted him less on this loop, if anything. Except that he can't have been instructing Rem and Ram to kill Subaru (which *might* have happened on loop 2? I don't know why Rem would've killed him that time, otherwise), because they were willing to trust him on the whole village thing. Roswaal has to have something going on that we haven't seen yet, I can't think of another explanation.

Emilia informed RAM after the cry that she was sure that Subaru was a good guy and not to do anything rash in this loop. Presumably, they passed that assessment on to Roswaal as well. That seems to indicate that Emilia, at least, had some lingering doubts about him before that point, and might have changed Roswaal's opinion, too.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 30, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

Having Subaru pass out while injured is a highly convenient way to start a new checkpoint, really. It lets the author shuffle things behind the scenes and present a new scenario as soon as our clueless protagonist wakes up, one that also conveniently requires a fair level of exposition to explain what he missed.

I think this will probably be the winning loop just because there aren't enough swerves left to drop in IMO, and there's no fun in having Subaru just victory shuffle his way through a loop he's already figured out.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

madmac posted:

I think this will probably be the winning loop just because there aren't enough swerves left to drop in IMO, and there's no fun in having Subaru just victory shuffle his way through a loop he's already figured out.

There is a major swerve though: Choose between trying to force himself down this same path to be genuinely trusted by everyone else, or save everyone before anything happens and neglect the relationship growth that he's made. Either choice makes him feel like poo poo.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I fuckin called that dog from the first time it appeared. I knew that thing was bad news.

I think I might have figured part of the colored words at the end title screen out though I'm not 100%. I think it has to do with the main character of that episode, the focus that isn't Subaru.

Episode 1 is a greyish purple color which kind of matches with Emilia's hair. 2 is Felt since she has golden blonde hair. 3 is obviously Reinhardt the redhead. 4 is Roswaal L. Mathers, the lord, who has dark blue hair. 5 is Rem since she's got teal hair. 6 is Ram since she has pink hair. 7 is Beatrice who has bright yellow hair. 8 is probably either Puck or Subaru, I don't really know. 9 is Rem again, though it's a darker teal than before.

The meaning of the words might describe the character in that episode or future episodes, I'm really not sure. The colors seems to line up though so I think that's probably right but I'm not sure how the meaning is connected, if at all. I also don't really think there's some big ARG reveal coming up with these, I think it's most likely a descriptor of that episode's character or theme. Either way I'm gonna keep at it because it's easy and fun. I'm going to keep going left to right with episode 1 on the left to the newest on the right. If I knew how to read it I'd try mixing them up or some other way of manipulating them.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 31, 2016

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master
Alright. Psycho-Rem is actually kind of terrifying.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brownieftw posted:

Alright. Psycho-Rem is actually kind of terrifying.

Terrifyingly beautiful.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Is the web novel translated?

Can I get my Re:Zero fix anywhere other than the anime?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Webisode for this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH5yht3o4jc

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

khy posted:

Is the web novel translated?

Can I get my Re:Zero fix anywhere other than the anime?

It appears the LN and manga have been licensed, but you're looking at July at the earliest, so.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Episode 10 preview
Looks like he will have one more loop on this? But this time get both maids out to the cursed woods. Well as long as it's really the last one I'm okay.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Episode title spoilers
Ep 11 is called Rem, the next arc starts with ep 12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So apparently South Park did it too. :D

• Locked thread