Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Space loot is so far adding a lot of extra enjoyment to every activity for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Section Z posted:

No, see, a Cobra MKIV hounding you Milspec ship like the terminator until you desperately escape into a station as it takes the combined might of the station guns and security forces to kill it just means you need to raise your skill ceiling, stop mindlessly grinding, and saying anything otherwise just means you are a salty.

Is this a thing? How bad did they gently caress up elite dangerous?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Elite? Too dangerous

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
That's the part that sorta salts the wound for me. I didn't buy Horizons after buying into the original Beta because I wasn't happy with how the game developed (namely: a bunch of things that I assumed were placeholders turned out to be fully implemented according to the developers!). Now I don't get the Engineers mechanic because FDev decided the Engineers needed to live solely on planets. Kinda lovely, but I guess I can live with not getting future updates after not buying into the expansion.

...except I'm still playing a version of the game where all of those things exist and are being used by NPCs and other players against me, including role-defining upgrades like Advanced Thrusters and mass-lock weapons that totally change the capabilities of a ship. It's like an MMO raising the level cap in an expansion and then just dumping the new level 70 content into the 60 zone or something.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Voyager I posted:

That's the part that sorta salts the wound for me. I didn't buy Horizons after buying into the original Beta because I wasn't happy with how the game developed (namely: a bunch of things that I assumed were placeholders turned out to be fully implemented according to the developers!). Now I don't get the Engineers mechanic because FDev decided the Engineers needed to live solely on planets. Kinda lovely, but I guess I can live with not getting future updates after not buying into the expansion.

...except I'm still playing a version of the game where all of those things exist and are being used by NPCs and other players against me, including role-defining upgrades like Advanced Thrusters and mass-lock weapons that totally change the capabilities of a ship. It's like an MMO raising the level cap in an expansion and then just dumping the new level 70 content into the 60 zone or something.

This, but the level 70 content is also in the same place where the level 1 newbie zone is and people don't know what any of the buttons or mechanics do.

We have people - veterans - in fairly top end combat ships having trouble with the new AI in their engineer enhanced ships. I can only imagine the nightmare for a brand new person in their E-fit Hauler or D-fit Viper Mk III who just wants to earn from cash for that sweet Cobra Mk III.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Actually I think you'll find it's like Dark Souls in space and they need to git gud :smuggo:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
The engineers update is pretty bad. How's this for a meltdown?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_6HjebZFYs

Some kind of RoF bug + AI having infinite ammo, energy and no heat buildup from shooting = hello plasma accelerator multicannon! This probably explains those "my Python just instantly melted" videos :v:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Voyager I posted:

Oh, there are mass-lock weapons!?

That explains a whole lot of my deaths....

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Seems like I should just stay out in the black wit these god-mode npcs. My d spec cobra will likely be vaporized

Are there a lot of interdictions just traveling around?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MoraleHazard posted:

Seems like I should just stay out in the black wit these god-mode npcs. My d spec cobra will likely be vaporized

Are there a lot of interdictions just traveling around?

There's just as many interdictions as ever, but random interdictions don't appear to be much harder to run from than usual. NPCs will absolutely gently caress your poo poo up if you go ressing or pick fights with system security, but the real nasty high-ranking stuff doesn't usually show up as random pirate encounters, and your Cobra should still be able to outrun anything that can kill it quickly. The only times I've been seriously threatened by a NPC is when I alt-tabbed out as I departed a mailslot and alt-tabbed back in to find out a powerplay NPC had started attacking me and had me halfway to dead by the time I noticed. Hostile NPCs show up everywhere now.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
USS ships are not to be trifled with. They either appear to be novice pickings or a threat 0 honeypot that can go south for you fast.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Colonial Air Force posted:

Oh, there are mass-lock weapons!?

That explains a whole lot of my deaths....

There are two engineer mods for mines that knock out thrusters and FSD, one Frag mod that reduces ENG pip effects and pulse laser mod that causes hull damage to make random modules malfunction. You probably won't see the mines used by NPCs so much though. They are terrifyingly effective when used in a nimble as gently caress iggle against larger ships, I shat all over all kinds of ships coming into Farseer during the beta with them.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Right now there looks to be two major npc weapons bugs. The laser frag bean of death and the rapid infinite Pac or install dump pac shots. Both are way most people are dying so easily to some npcs and really illustrating to everyone how the npcs work much differently then they think. Not counting the npcs now willingly ramming you at any expense to themselves.

Shadow_333
May 2, 2016

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Right now there looks to be two major npc weapons bugs. The laser frag bean of death and the rapid infinite Pac or install dump pac shots. Both are way most people are dying so easily to some npcs and really illustrating to everyone how the npcs work much differently then they think. Not counting the npcs now willingly ramming you at any expense to themselves.

NPC's are playing a lot like players now. Using dirty tricks, and going yolo when your shields go down.
Too bad they fixed the bug where upgraded components were taken off your rebuy.
Had a maxed vette with rebuy of a python for a while..

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
This is the first community goal I've participated in, and the difference between the try-hards and the not-trying-at-alls is incredible. I've delivered a humble 1 kiloton of cargo out of 1.7 million tons delivered, and yet I'm still in the top 10% of contributors so far.

I donno if I'm going to keep at it, but drat.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Conskill posted:

This is the first community goal I've participated in, and the difference between the try-hards and the not-trying-at-alls is incredible. I've delivered a humble 1 kiloton of cargo out of 1.7 million tons delivered, and yet I'm still in the top 10% of contributors so far.

I donno if I'm going to keep at it, but drat.

Most people deliver 1 load in whatever they are flying then go back to whatever they are doing.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ32a8wg7x4 further proof the AI cheats like hell. Seriously, :frontear: needs to fix this ASAP or they'll turn off all brand new players, as they have been turning off current players just for the AI difficulty from "casual" to "dark souls is easy by comparison"

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

On the upside I think they might have actually fixed sessioning because I'm actually seeing other players out in space now? :shrug:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

IAmTheRad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ32a8wg7x4 further proof the AI cheats like hell. Seriously, :frontear: needs to fix this ASAP or they'll turn off all brand new players, as they have been turning off current players just for the AI difficulty from "casual" to "dark souls is easy by comparison"

Yes hi I would like to buy a couple of c3 Scatter Beams please. :stare:

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

Arrath posted:

Yes hi I would like to buy a couple of c3 Scatter Beams please. :stare:

:frontear: Sure! Just grind this rep with this faction and....

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Zest posted:

:frontear: Sure! Just grind this rep with this faction and....

I thought you were going to start fresh in Evocron Mercenary?

you might have to fly places in that game too though the :ohdear:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Skynet only gives the very best realistic immersion.

Just read any forums, so many people thinking it's legit can't be wrong!

timn
Mar 16, 2010
The way factions message you about reputation changes now, it's like they're updating your credit rating or something.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Did they remove Bi-weave shields? Why would they do that?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

nightwisher posted:

To make sure the AI would definitely kill you. :frontear:

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 29, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

nightwisher posted:

Well, they confirmed they are gone at least.

https://twitter.com/Frontier_Help/status/736590422215151616

The answer itself makes it all the more :frontear:

Oh, I'm sorry. I mean makes players all the more :salt:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

My ship still has its bi-weaves.

Extra paranoid about selling them now... :ohdear:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I'm guessing they made them engineer exclusive maybe? I mean they are modified shields :shrug:

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Yeah good point, there's probably a grade 5 engineer recipe to turn a shield into a bi-weave or something like that. I am definitely looking forward to flying a Vulture all across the bubble just to fit my ship out like it used to be!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Wait, haven't Bi-weaves been available in the game for ages? That tweet makes no sense to me.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I did lots of RES ratting before 2.1 / 1.6 hit, now I've switched (back?) to mining. Dabbled with it before, but reading up on it a bit and doing the right things(TM) had me go from a Type 6 to a decently setup Asp in a few hours.

The whole Engineers thing seems like the most retarded poo poo. Why not make this stuff a bit more accessible on the whole? Flying all across the bubble to hunt down stuff just because lore says so is not good gameplay.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

TTerrible posted:

Wait, haven't Bi-weaves been available in the game for ages? That tweet makes no sense to me.

He clarified on Reddit that the shields were still in the beta before it closed, but removed when the beta became the final live patch.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

He clarified on Reddit that the shields were still in the beta before it closed, but removed when the beta became the final live patch.

I thought they'd been in plain jane Horizons since launch they way people spoke about them :shrug:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

The thing that doesn't make sense is "They were for testing in 2.1 beta" but they existed in the 2.0 beta and the 2.0 release.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

TTerrible posted:

I thought they'd been in plain jane Horizons since launch they way people spoke about them :shrug:

They were. They have been in the live game for a long time.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
All gripes aside, at least we finally have a way to store equipment we're bought and modified. Could you imagine how tedious and frustrating it would be if we couldn't store modules we spent hours grinding RNG on?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

IAmTheRad posted:

The thing that doesn't make sense is "They were for testing in 2.1 beta" but they existed in the 2.0 beta and the 2.0 release.

This is what is confusing me. What the gently caress, Frontier? :psyduck:

Fishreds99
Jul 8, 2009

Beep Boop
As someone who is good at combat in the game and who has routinely thought to myself "heh, get good" when i've seen people bitch about the difficulty of the game, I admit that high ranked npcs seem overtuned relative to the reward you receive from destroying them. Aside from the blatant bugs, risk/reward seems way out of whack. High ranked npcs should be rare and worth millions of credits to kill, kind of like elite mobs in mmos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I guess if you want to Customize your missiles you need to haul 200 ton of landmines.

This was after making you complete a courier mission to a 250K LS Station.

• Locked thread