Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

This does not appear to be a flip yet it appears to be good???

The funny thing about that gif is that I remember reading that they paired Vader with Shamrock so Vader would learn to not stiff people. Not the best logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

I counted two moves that would "do" anything in the sequence, both headscissors nonsense that were cartwheeled out of. Before and after there was a bunch of random flips punctuated with a double handspring flying nothing. They were nice flips, to be sure, but what was the point of any of it?

Part of the excitement for the match up is that they are the top flyers in the world. One would think that there would be some showing off because the two are competitive in everything. It's why that sequence happened early in the match. Both guys were having fun trying to one up the other guy. Once things got serious, the two were swearing at each other and throwing head butts and CTE-inducing kicks.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The funny thing about that gif is that I remember reading that they paired Vader with Shamrock so Vader would learn to not stiff people. Not the best logic.

It's the other way around. Shamrock was still new to WWF and working way too stiff up to that point so they paired him with Vader because Vader wouldn't take it without giving it back.

Here's the story according to Vader:

quote:

In Ken Shamrock's WWF pro-wrestling debut, he fought Vader in a 'No Holds Barred' match which was the most adapt gimmick name for a pro-wrestling match I care to remember. There's a myth attached to the match that Vince chose Vader to fight Shamrock to punish him for being stiff against (almost) the entire locker room, more like Vince knew that Vader-Shamrock would make for a classic match, and it was. Not knowing how to work a match, Ken was as stiff as hell, "I didn't realize how stiff I was in there with him. I wondered why Vader broke from the script at that point because I didn't realize that I'd actually hurt Vader and, as a result, Vader was PISSED," Shamrock later said, due to Vader bailing from the ring. If you watch the match closely, you can see Vader telling Shamrock (and the ref!) to ease up, ease up." Shamrock broke Vader's nose in four places and the Mastodon couldn't walk for several days after the fight. Few seconds before the end Vader was finally fed-up with Shamrock and hit him with a hard clothesline, almost knocking him out, which awakened Ken. After that point Shamrock finally eased up for good and the match finished smoothly.

MagicCube fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 29, 2016

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MagicCube posted:

It's the other way around. Shamrock was still new to WWF and working way too stiff up to that point so they paired him with Vader because Vader wouldn't take it without giving it back.

The main reason they were paired up is Vader had experience with shoot style. Shamrock was being portrayed as a different kind of wrestler.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

The main reason they were paired up is Vader had experience with shoot style. Shamrock was being portrayed as a different kind of wrestler.

I'd heard that story a bunch of times but didn't think to look up Shamrock's match history. I didn't know that was his first real match in the WWF so it makes sense that they paired him with Vader for that reason instead of the myth that he was working too stiff up to that point.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

well i didn't see vader's other tweets and i guess his take on the anime sequence did not stop there. he is just a big old idiot. sorry and god bless u Marquis de Pyro

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

In terms of "lacking moves that would do damage," in acrobatic sequences, you can easily justify it as attempts at intimidation and one-upsmanship, no different than pushups, flexing or trash talk spots, or it could be an attempt to feint/misdirect the opponent into a position for a more devastating move which didn't happen. Its up to the performers in the ring to convey what they were attempting to do after the sequence is complete and/or for the announce team to come up with an explanation.

In this case, they DID make clear what the point of the exchange was, in that they started the sequence with Rico unexpectedly landing on his feet and sending Will a visual challenge when he turned, and ended the sequence on a stare down. Doing damage wasn't the point of the exchange, it was a psychological tactic to get into the other guys head by showing he was the decisively superior flyer. They came out even so the staredown was a high-tension one with neither looking happy with the outcome, which I assume then transitioned the match to a more serious phase.

Its pretty easy to tell when dudes are doing flips for flips sake and when there's a reason for it IMHO.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

https://twitter.com/DeathToAllMarks/status/736818764080140288

lol

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Also Ricochet's superhero landing is one of his signature spots, he even does it in Lucha Underground.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Writer Cath posted:

Why can't we have flippy hoss offs?

If only Bam Bam Bigelow and Kevin Owens were wrestling in the same fed at the same time.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

This does not appear to be a flip yet it appears to be good???

Hitting people for real in a fake sport smdh

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Blast Fantasto posted:

What kind of moron only wants there to be one type of wrestling match

Vince McMahon

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Anyways, my original point was watch the whole match before judging it:

Solus posted:

Richochet getting kicked in the face is impressive.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Writer Cath posted:

Why can't we have flippy hoss offs?
We do they are called Chris Hero matches

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I wish Vader could drop 30 years of age and wrestle in today's world

Vader vs Kevin Owens

Vader vs John Cena

Vader owns even if he's now old and dumb

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Vader is the Man.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Charlotte finally loses the Women's title when she opens the wrong lockbox.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Time to debut the Reverse Surivor Series match (match starts as 1vs1, for every pinfall scored you add a member to your team, first team with 5 members wins) and the 'Z-Pak on a Pole'-match.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I dont mind the spot but thinking about it in the terms of how a wrestling match is to go...by the end both of them "should be" too worn down for that sequence...or that sequence should be somewhere toward the early mid as the thing that leads to the heat or the shine (i hate using match terms but i dont really know how to explain it.) for whoever comes out on top of it

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

AkumaHokoru posted:

I dont mind the spot but thinking about it in the terms of how a wrestling match is to go...by the end both of them "should be" too worn down for that sequence...or that sequence should be somewhere toward the early mid as the thing that leads to the heat or the shine (i hate using match terms but i dont really know how to explain it.) for whoever comes out on top of it

It was at the beginning of the match, something that's been pointed out multiple times

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
To be fair to Russo, at least he never tried to book his children into lovely storylines.

I think, at least.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

TinTower posted:

To be fair to Russo, at least he never tried to book his children into lovely storylines.

I think, at least.

He wrote himself off of TNA tv by having his kids beg him in a video to come home and be their daddy again. He used them again to turn himself babyface using the same deal.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Welp, that's not gonna be topped, thread's about done

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Germansimp posted:

Time to debut the Reverse Surivor Series match (match starts as 1vs1, for every pinfall scored you add a member to your team, first team with 5 members wins)

I'd probably watch the poo poo out of this if it were in an Elimination Chamber type of thing. Every pinfall unlocks another of your team's chambers... first team to unlock all their chambers wins. I'm in the right thread.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Geoff Peterson posted:

I'd probably watch the poo poo out of this if it were in an Elimination Chamber type of thing. Every pinfall unlocks another of your team's chambers... first team to unlock all their chambers wins. I'm in the right thread.

I wanna see it just to see if anyone bothers to come up with something for the last guy out to do since the match ends with their entrance.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Geoff Peterson posted:

This seems like whoever got the first pinfall and therefore had the two on one advantage, with the fresh man as well, should pretty much automatically win the match.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

oldpainless posted:

This seems like whoever got the first pinfall and therefore had the two on one advantage, with the fresh man as well, should pretty much automatically win the match.
Provided that the outnumbered wrestler doesn't hit some crazy spot off the top of the chamber that takes out both guys, or the two teammates don't have some beef that keeps them from working effectively together.

I'm picturing a heel team getting two pinfalls, being overconfident while it's 3-on-1, the face in peril sneaking a pinfall and the new guy coming out like it's a hot tag. Again, I'm aware that I'm posting this in the right thread.

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

I wanna see it just to see if anyone bothers to come up with something for the last guy out to do since the match ends with their entrance.
You've seen the 6'9" white guy on a basketball bench that only seems to play for two minutes every other game? Same concept.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
At this point we're all dancing around the fundamental truth that they should bring back War Games.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Maxwell Lord posted:

At this point we're all dancing around the fundamental truth that they should bring back War Games.

Isn't that something that HHH has wanted to do?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Geoff Peterson posted:

You've seen the 6'9" white guy on a basketball bench that only seems to play for two minutes every other game? Same concept.

Please do not remind me of Jim McIlvaine.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
I remember reading somewhere back in that sudden spurt of former WWE writers appearing on podcasts that apparently WWE wanted to do a War Games match to blow off the Invasion but scrapped it because of 9/11.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

a retard posted:

I remember reading somewhere back in that sudden spurt of former WWE writers appearing on podcasts that apparently WWE wanted to do a War Games match to blow off the Invasion but scrapped it because of 9/11.

Not that anything could've saved the invasion at that point, but I'd sure as hell remember it a lot fonder if that was the blowoff to it. They had the perfect roster for it at the time.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

TL posted:

Not that anything could've saved the invasion at that point, but I'd sure as hell remember it a lot fonder if that was the blowoff to it. They had the perfect roster for it at the time.

To be fair, the Survivor Series Elimination Tag is a fantastic match and has one of the best hype videos WWE has ever made to set it up. War Games is War Games, but they did alright.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Its time for another Tag Team Elimination Chamber match!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I mean they're half right in that the WWE creative staff should be canned asap.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Skinty McEdger posted:

He wrote himself off of TNA tv by having his kids beg him in a video to come home and be their daddy again. He used them again to turn himself babyface using the same deal.

I stand corrected (like I'm wearing orthopaedic shoes :itisalawlerjoke:), but that's relatively sane given that Vinnie Mac has been trying to get Steph and Shane to gently caress for the past twenty years. :v:

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Benne posted:

It was at the beginning of the match, something that's been pointed out multiple times

oh we might be talking about a different sequence? not the one where they both landed in the crouch but the finishing combination. (the one with the corkscrew spinkick to the back of the head for the end)

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

TinTower posted:

I stand corrected (like I'm wearing orthopaedic shoes :itisalawlerjoke:), but that's relatively sane given that Vinnie Mac has been trying to get Steph and Shane to gently caress for the past twenty years. :v:

Honestly it would've been a fairly tame segment, albeit a direct retread of one he ran with Flair in WCW, if not for when he wrote about how his family was subject to abuse by his critics in his book "How WCW Killed Vince Russo". He makes a big thing out of how he never brought them into the public eye or used them as part of his product when you know he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Josh Mathews has a new blog that will probably end up being a fixture in this thread.

http://impactwrestling.com/ringside-blog-mathews-looks-at-pick-your-poison/

quote:

While both are keeping their choices close to the vest, rumor has it Drew Galloway is leaning towards selecting a fellow Brit to face Lashley.

Isn't Drew Scottish? I'm certainly no expert on the UK but I don't think Scottish people like being called Brits.

quote:

Lashley. Where to start? His MMA background? The fact that he was going to spear me last month and I couldn’t do anything about it and the fear I was feeling? The fact that he has won 2 World Titles? Or that he can snap bones like most people snap their fingers? This dude is legit. Scary legit.

SHUTT UPPPPP

quote:

I love this concept of “Pick Your Poison” as it adds a level of intrigue to what has been a rivalry building for weeks. The fight in the MMA gym? Amazing. Lashley actually found Drew in a gym and attacked him. Who does that?

Yeah, a fight in an MMA gym? poo poo that never happens.

quote:

I am just happy that a camera crew was there to capture the fight.

Unironically agree, given the state of TNA's production.