Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AlmightyBob posted:

The comixolgy ceo says the only first volumes in unlimited is on purpose to drive sales. gently caress that poo poo.

Has anyone found a complete series yet? They said their plan was to rotate poo poo in and out so I wonder if the model is to have full runs move in and out while keeping early volumes always available.

However if it is like it is now, yeah it's not even worth the six bucks. Any brand new people to comics that get hooked in by CU are going to quickly find that with comics you want the whole thing.

Too bad too, I was really hoping they'd come out with something cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

zoux posted:

Has anyone found a complete series yet? They said their plan was to rotate poo poo in and out so I wonder if the model is to have full runs move in and out while keeping early volumes always available.

However if it is like it is now, yeah it's not even worth the six bucks. Any brand new people to comics that get hooked in by CU are going to quickly find that with comics you want the whole thing.

Too bad too, I was really hoping they'd come out with something cool.

A number of mini series or small series are complete. Bomb Queen was one.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Swords of Glass is a short, albeit complete series on Comixology Unlimited. Four "volumes," ~200 pages total, eye candy for miles.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It would be a good ~goon project~ to mention poo poo you see that is a full run on CU, but I don't know where the best place to curate it would be. Who reads ops anymore?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

zoux posted:

It would be a good ~goon project~ to mention poo poo you see that is a full run on CU, but I don't know where the best place to curate it would be. Who reads ops anymore?

Who updates them anymore?

It really is going to be an introduction service to get people hooked.

Edit: signed up for that hoopla and only get 4 borrows a month.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 25, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Mr Hootington posted:

Who updates them anymore?

I updated this one twice this week!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uthor posted:

Awww :(

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Once because you shared Nightcrawler!

I mean, if there's something that ought to be added, I'm more than happy to do so. But I don't really have the interest to keep a possibly rotating list of comics only available on a single service. I feel the OP is more important to give an overview of digital comics to a new reader. And, frankly, I think it's a little bloated as is.

I doubt there's enough interest to spin off this thread into a "comiXology Unlimited" thread. Or that there will be a constant influx of new readers requiring a "greatest hits" type OP. Posting interesting runs here or in the recommendation thread will probably suffice.

If something grows organically, I'll support it, but :effort: at the moment.

Am I wrong? Disagree? Let me know!

Uthor fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 25, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Uthor posted:

You might be the only person on SA. Thank you for your service.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hey, I update my Valiant OP quite frequently thank you very much.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
And I update my Star Wars: The Old Republic OP frequently even though I barely play anymore!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, sounds like comiXology Unlimited is aimed toward getting new buyers on board. I don't see it becoming a big source of income for them if there is little reason to continue your subscription beyond a month or two.

http://comicsalliance.com/comixology-unlimited-david-steinberger-interview/

quote:

Comics Alliance: You mention comic stores there. How is Unlimited intended to sit alongside — or separate to — the existing business model of selling books individually, on Comixology and elsewhere?

David Steinberger: So our goal is, and what we tried to shape the program to achieve, is introducing people to a lot of amazing content that is ongoing or that is collected into trades, both on the physical and digital sides. We’re happy either way. Obviously we’re connected to Amazon, and we have our retailer affiliate model as well as digital. But we’re a retailer, so we have all the right reasons to get people super-engaged in reading the content — and hopefully they find some books that they really love and want to continue reading.

And we will be adding content to the program as we go, we’ll probably be cycling some of the content out as we go, to keep things fresh and exciting.

If you look at the launch group of content, particularly on the new buyer side, what we might call an ‘affinity’ audience, somebody who is into the movies or TV shows or animation or anime; let’s take the example of Attack on Titan. You can connect with somebody who’s watched the anime and is totally into it, and get them hooked into the original comic, and then we’ve got 10 or 12 other manga series for them to sample and enjoy.

Comics Alliance: Having looked at the Unlimited selection, it does seem to be skewed towards the first collection, or the first batch of issues, of a series. Is that an intentional decision?

DS: The aim is to create new buyers of comics and new fans of comics, as well to expand the reach and engagement of core fans. And the best way to do that is to provide the starting point for many different series.

Now, am I saying we will never have full series on there? No, not at all. In fact we currently have some full graphic novels available, and we have varying amounts of volumes for different publishers. We have five volumes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight, for example, which is a huge amount of content.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm really surprised Comixology unlimited isn't part of prime.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Lol at that Buffy example

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Uthor posted:

Yeah, sounds like comiXology Unlimited is aimed toward getting new buyers on board. I don't see it becoming a big source of income for them if there is little reason to continue your subscription beyond a month or two.

http://comicsalliance.com/comixology-unlimited-david-steinberger-interview/

Setting that bar high for DC if they decide to do an unlimited. Which they need to. I want to read Young All-Stars drat it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

hadji murad posted:

Lol at that Buffy example

To be fair, that's impressive for Dark Horse. You're lucky if they discount more than the first volume of a series or put more than that into things like Humble Bundle. The only time I've seen them do more was when they were losing the Star Wars licence.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Okay that sounds fair. They had a great sale last November with everything cheap. Got all the Usagi Yojimbo singles and UY Sagas really cheap.

So once a year maybe :/

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

hadji murad posted:

Okay that sounds fair. They had a great sale last November with everything cheap. Got all the Usagi Yojimbo singles and UY Sagas really cheap.

So once a year maybe :/

Yeah I bought a ton of Hellboy when dark horse firat came to comixology and everything was on sale

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AlmightyBob posted:

Yeah I bought a ton of Hellboy when dark horse firat came to comixology and everything was on sale

I did the same during the half off sale last year and I balked at buying a whole bunch if BPRD too and it's really the only time I regret not spending like $200 on comics

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.comixology.com/redeem?code=DCRebirthGotham

Comixology is giving away 2.5K copies of DC: Rebirth #1. Click the link to get it automatically added to your library.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

OhFunny posted:

https://www.comixology.com/redeem?code=DCRebirthGotham

Comixology is giving away 2.5K copies of DC: Rebirth #1. Click the link to get it automatically added to your library.

Well that's awfully nice. Time so see what the shitstorm is all about.

EDIT: oh my gently caress DC what are you doing :stare:

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 26, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It would have been nice if that had come out BEFORE I paid for it. I mean, I'm not mad. It was a perfectly Geoff Johns comic and 80 pages, so I knew what I was getting into.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Well that's awfully nice. Time so see what the shitstorm is all about.

EDIT: oh my gently caress DC what are you doing :stare:

Well. It won't be boring.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Probably stupid question:

On both Comixology and DC Digital, they have two listings for each Rebirth title. (See this page: https://www.comixology.com/DC-Universe-Rebirth/list/10739)

Logically, they should be the same (i.e. Superman Rebirth #1 / Superman 2016 #1), but it's unclear which I should subscribe to. Any clarification?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rebirth #1s are one-shots to introduce the series like #0 issues, then they go to regular #1s.
e: I'm getting site errors going into them, but it looks like they're both covered under the same series page, so your subscription should get both.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 26, 2016

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Is there any kind of reading order that can be assembled with those Age of Apocalypse trades on sale now?

Also, how is Jughead?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

'X-Men: Age of Apocalypse Vol. 1: Alpha' is the only thing from the original event. It looks like it contains the lead up crossover, opening chapter and first issues.

'X-Men: New AOE' is a mid-2000s revisit. No experience with it, but it seems poorly received https://www.amazon.com/X-Men-New-Ag...e+Of+Apocalypse

'AOE: The X-Terminated' is the first trade of the 2012 series that launched off of the excellent Uncanny X-Force, which had an arc where the team warped into that world.
I thought it was pretty good, but you should start with Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force.

'Warzones' is a miniseries tie-in to last year's Secret Wars. One of many other minis that took inspiration from old storylines and did reimagined versions. Didn't read.

e:
https://www.comixology.com/Fraction-DeConnick-Sale/page/10859?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 27, 2016

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Rebirth #1s are one-shots to introduce the series like #0 issues, then they go to regular #1s.
e: I'm getting site errors going into them, but it looks like they're both covered under the same series page, so your subscription should get both.

Thank you.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Almost all of this is great! (haven't read Satellite Sam, but hear good things)

Is anyone getting comiXology emails? I haven't gotten a promotional email from them in quite a while, over a month at least. They would send out a few a week announcing current sales. I'd at least expect one about comiXology Unlimited.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Uthor posted:

Almost all of this is great! (haven't read Satellite Sam, but hear good things)

Is anyone getting comiXology emails? I haven't gotten a promotional email from them in quite a while, over a month at least. They would send out a few a week announcing current sales. I'd at least expect one about comiXology Unlimited.

I'm still getting emails from them pretty much daily, definitely got one announcing Unlimited.

Satellite Sam seemed to be a pretty by the numbers Chaykin book despite the fact that Fraction wrote it, it really didn't seem remarkably different than another series of Black Kiss or The Shadow.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm sure this has been asked but I'll take a punt.

So I got myself a Kindle Paperwhite (gen 7) the other day and I got a couple of comics to try it out and it works great. I'm wondering if there's any way to convert the backups I get from Comixology to the same comic format for the Paperwhite.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I did a quickly Google search and it seems that the Paperwhite reads PDFs. You should be able to get PDFs from comiXology. Does that work?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Uthor posted:

I did a quickly Google search and it seems that the Paperwhite reads PDFs. You should be able to get PDFs from comiXology. Does that work?

Hum. Maybe. I was hoping to just have them be the native kindle format as that was the big improvement since the last time I owned a kindle (kindle 3) and all the guides section to be from then.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uthor posted:

I didn't know you could, actually. So can you keep like backups on a hard drive that you can read if your internet goes out or does comixology require you to be connected for DRM reasons?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

I didn't know you could, actually. So can you keep like backups on a hard drive that you can read if your internet goes out or does comixology require you to be connected for DRM reasons?

Some publishers allow you to download .cbr or .pdf copies from Comixology, no DRM involved. Neither of the Big Two do it, and neither does Dark Horse, but a lot of the other big indies do, like IDW and Archie.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm sure this has been asked but I'll take a punt.

So I got myself a Kindle Paperwhite (gen 7) the other day and I got a couple of comics to try it out and it works great. I'm wondering if there's any way to convert the backups I get from Comixology to the same comic format for the Paperwhite.

I think Calibre can manage that.

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#what-formats-does-app-support-conversion-to-from

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Some publishers allow you to download .cbr or .pdf copies from Comixology, no DRM involved. Neither of the Big Two do it, and neither does Dark Horse, but a lot of the other big indies do, like IDW and Archie.

Basically everyone 'cept for Marvel, DC, DH and the manga houses allow for downloading PDF, CBR or CBZs of their stuff.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just got a nice new tablet and decided to move to digital! I've merged my Amazon account with Comixology. Just confirming, if I buy something through the Kindle App or on Amazon, it'll show up on my Comixology and visa versa? And do they ever do sales on one service but not the other? The sales are Steamlike from looking at what my friend's been buying on his account.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
AFIK if it's on Comixology it'll show up there when you buy it on Kindle but the reverse does not apply.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, if an item on the US Amazon store has 'read on Comixology' listed by it, then it'll sync, but they don't do the reverse with buying on Comixology direct.

Also, yes, the sales are separate. Some are pretty brutally Steam-like in how heavy they discount