Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Jeza posted:

Something I really dislike about Pharah is that her concussive shot doesn't seem to impart any vertical momentum, so you can't use it like Junkrat's mine. Maybe they didn't want to make her overly mobile or something, but it still kinda irritates me. Although I just learned it does massive shield damage and no health damage, so that's interesting.

use a rocket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt2niKKnx2M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Sanctum posted:

I just got this and mouse acceleration, vsync, and motion blur are all disabled by default. :3:

Can someone explain the dva suicide thing? I swear I saw someone jump out and launch their mech into my teammates, I was just getting out and running like hell. I love that the class that can fly around the map is the as wide as a barn. Do different not-melee classes deal different melee damage? I was getting a lot more luck with melees flying around as the demoratman guy.

D.Va's ultimate is setting her mech to self destruct and anyone within its range and line of sight will get blown to bits. Generally, it's used with conjunction with her boost ability to drive it into the enemy team and she can get away safely, otherwise she can get caught up in the blast and die too. Allies are OK though.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 29, 2016

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Lucio is indeed the most rad hero. Being able to heal while also shooting people in the face lets you carry so hard sometimes.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

lazorexplosion posted:

Lucio is indeed the most rad hero. Being able to heal while also shooting people in the face lets you carry so hard sometimes.

Well his damage is pretty low but the point is he can do it while healing his whole team. And he's hard as gently caress to kill, given the constant regen if he has heal boost up and the extra speed if he's speed boosting and also he can wall run away which can make it real hard to stop him getting away or just allows him to juke around like crazy. And then if you get close he right clicks you.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I just got a Mercy potg too, but it's literally me ressing 1 person on an empty street then using the boost beam on a widowmaker that missed all her shots.
I guess the game likes to throw some crumbs at us Mercy players once in a while.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I have yet to see a single POTG that isn't Bastion, or Junkrat/76 simply popping their ultimates.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

My 76 ult quad kill just got out POTG'd by a widowmaker with two normal kills so :shrug:

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

in my own humble opinion, they should just nerf the poo poo out of lucio's passive healing and movespeed boost entirely so that the only time he can really heal/buff is when he presses E. currently lucio is basically a mandatory pick on every koth map because of how ridiculously well he can keep his entire team topped off while still doing some decent damage to the enemy clump with his m1. you essentially end up with with 2 unkillable turd lucios on opposing sides, both healing away any chip damage from their own teams and pressing E when an engagement happens. what's the point of the passive 12.5 HP/s health regen when both teams are going to have it constantly throughout the entire match? having the passive health regen doesn't give you an advantage over the enemy team, it just lets you actually fight them on an even playing field.

so i say gut lucio's boring passive healing and buff his fun stuff. maybe the passive regen should only be 5/hp sec so there's a real reason to use the speed mode in combat. maybe the passive regen should be higher, but it should only activate when the hero has not taken any damage in the last few seconds. i don't know

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Some dude last night just absolutely wrecked my team in every match with Zenyatta. He paired up with a Hanzo like they were a goddamn sniper recon team and they just shut us down while their Reinhardt pushed forward. AND the fucker got potg.

I play as Zenyatta and get shredded.

Fruitsniffer
Feb 1, 2016

What a great day to be trash!
I've been trying to get into Genji in the last couple of days and even though he's a lot of fun, I can't seem to get any good plays with his ult.
Whenever I activate it and try to chop down some fools, I get killed immediately. If I'm lucky, I might get one kill. Any advice?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Jump more.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

poptart_fairy posted:

I have yet to see a single POTG that isn't Bastion, or Junkrat/76 simply popping their ultimates.

I got one as Toblerone last night. It was me repairing a turret, popping molten core, and jumping off a ledge and chasing down Tracer but not killing her.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Every time KOTH comes up now I pick symmetra straight away and see how much of a dick I can be before someone kicks me off the point

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Zenyatta seems really good. At least as far as my day 1 impression goes he's like made of paper but the way he heals you never have to be in harms way and that discord thing roughly doubles the damage received which is so good at loving up absolutely anything except slippery assassin dude and the shield guy. At least the players lit with double damage never seem to realize it.

Discord is really spammable and auto-tracks even around corners. :shrug:

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Fruitsniffer posted:

I've been trying to get into Genji in the last couple of days and even though he's a lot of fun, I can't seem to get any good plays with his ult.
Whenever I activate it and try to chop down some fools, I get killed immediately. If I'm lucky, I might get one kill. Any advice?

- Start from a flanking position, like behind your enemies, or even better, wallrun up a wall and then ult before dropping down on your enemies. Smart players will typically still turn around and look for you the instant you ult, but at least it'll take them a moment longer to find you.
- Kill the squishiest/scariest targets first. Soldiers, Hanzos, Widowmakers and McCrees will just shoot you down if you leave them alive, so go for them first. If there's a Mercy, you essentially have to kill her first or she will rez her entire team after you're done killing them.
- You get a new swift strike whenever you kill a target. Your sword does 120 damage. For 200 HP targets, hit the guy twice then dash to your next target and hit them twice, then dash onto your next target and so on. 250 HP heroes are best killed with 1 swift strike and 2 slashes. Roadhogs, Reinhardts and Wnstons are incredibly tanky so don't bother trying to kill them unless they're the only ones left or if they're already low HP
- Keep double jumping, it'll make it harder for dudes to shoot you down and it also makes it easier for you to follow your targets and even hit multiple guys
- Be aggressive and twitchy. It's better to keep swinging even if you are low HP. Just yesterday I ulted with 4 HP and still killed two dudes.
- Deflect can really save you during your ult. People usually unload everything they have on you the instant they see you with your sword up

I've posted this webm a couple of times already but here's me killing 5 guys on my own with the ult: http://webmshare.com/QzQaJ You can see some of the techniques I described there

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Minorkos posted:

- Keep double jumping, it'll make it harder for dudes to shoot you down and it also makes it easier for you to follow your targets and even hit multiple guys

Is this actually true? One of the most common tips for TF2 was to never doublejump because it made your movement predictable.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Can Genji deflect direct Pharah rockets or is it hitscan only? Never really been able to tell.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

He does a flip and compacts his body, so it can be more difficult to hit a Genji than a scout.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Lady Naga posted:

Is this actually true? One of the most common tips for TF2 was to never doublejump because it made your movement predictable.

Afaik you don't want to double jump in TF2 because Scout is really fast and can juke back and forth while firing his hitscan gun. This applies to Genji as well, but only in similar situations, like when you're staying at medium/long range and throwing shurikens. Genji has to be in melee range to attack with his ult, so there's basically no reason not to be double jumping in that situation. Genji is also much slower than Scout, so for him the best way to suddenly move really fast is to double jump. What's better, juking to the left or right up in melee range, or jumping completely over your enemy and disappearing entirely from their screen for a split second?

So basically:

- if you are moving straight forward, like running straight towards a health pack at low HP, you want to double jump
- if you are close enough to jump over your enemy or at least break LoS with him, you want to double jump

Otherwise, juking left and right might work better

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 29, 2016

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

A Magical Lamp posted:

Can Genji deflect direct Pharah rockets or is it hitscan only? Never really been able to tell.

Yes, if it hits you directly. You still take damage from explosions that happen by your feet but any projectile that you get hit with directly you can toss back.

Including some ults.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Lucio and Reinhardt are shaping up as the 'so you want to win pub games' picks for me.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

That is cool, I never combined both before although I suppose I should have tried it. But I still would like your alt fire to give some vertical. At the moment it seems a little niche, and it would make it slightly cooler imo.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Temple of Anubis pub play is miserable, if I see Symmetra and Junkrat on the other team it's basically a 90% chance of it being a loss. Attack/Defense as a whole is kinda like that, in KOTH and Payload you can sorta do your own poo poo and win.

Also I'll assume that Blizz tries to match you with other premade groups if you're grouping, right? Every time I play with my brother and his friend we get "tryhard" people (like, actually coordinating ults and pushes) and long-rear end queues between new games.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dias posted:

Temple of Anubis pub play is miserable, if I see Symmetra and Junkrat on the other team it's basically a 90% chance of it being a loss. Attack/Defense as a whole is kinda like that, in KOTH and Payload you can sorta do your own poo poo and win.

Also I'll assume that Blizz tries to match you with other premade groups if you're grouping, right? Every time I play with my brother and his friend we get "tryhard" people (like, actually coordinating ults and pushes) and long-rear end queues between new games.

The point capture maps are somehow more chokepointy than the payload maps. Hanamura is a miserable slog for attackers where they just get cut the gently caress down by widowmaker.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Sanctum posted:

Zenyatta seems really good. At least as far as my day 1 impression goes he's like made of paper but the way he heals you never have to be in harms way and that discord thing roughly doubles the damage received which is so good at loving up absolutely anything except slippery assassin dude and the shield guy. At least the players lit with double damage never seem to realize it.

Discord is really spammable and auto-tracks even around corners. :shrug:

Zenyatta seems really good but if the opposing team has a good flanker or god forbid a widow maker you are three kinds of hosed

I also think his ulti might be the worst out of the supports because you have to rely on your teammates to move into it

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Every time KOTH comes up now I pick symmetra straight away and see how much of a dick I can be before someone kicks me off the point

:hawaaaafap:

welp, time for me to try to replicate this, fail miserably, and lose the game for my team

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Slime posted:

The point capture maps are somehow more chokepointy than the payload maps. Hanamura is a miserable slog for attackers where they just get cut the gently caress down by widowmaker.

To be fair, it doesn't take but two good teamfights to win the whole of Anubis, really. Attackers get some 9 minutes to do that.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Slime posted:

Yes, if it hits you directly. You still take damage from explosions that happen by your feet but any projectile that you get hit with directly you can toss back.

Including some ults.

Including Pharah's ult. If they deflect enough to kill you before the ones hitting the ground around them kills genji.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Roadhog questions:

It would seem that I'm an EU top 100 Roadhog on Master Overwatch (deheheheheeeeeeee) but the hero mechanics still feel super inconsistent. Sometimes hooking (especially when it's from max distance) doesn't seem to prevent the guy from using his escape ability before I mouse 1 them in the face which is incredibly loving stupid and aggravating. Does the stun not last long enough when you hook from far away? Is it a my ping vs their ping thing? Were they using the skill right before getting hooked?

Also, the way the target is hooked to you is often super wonky and awkward (sometimes they come in a curve, sometimes you don't even see them in your screen for some reason) and to my knowledge there's still no consensus on where you should shoot, head or body. You'd think on tanks it should be head because most if not all the pellets should hit at that distance, but on everyone else it's like whatever. I've hooked Reaper in 2 identical situations, both times he's at full life, my reticle covers his chest completely, but the first time my hook-mouse1-melee combo leaves him at 10hp, the second time he dies even before my melee hits him.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Kawabata posted:

Does the stun not last long enough when you hook from far away?

No.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

abigserve posted:

Zenyatta seems really good but if the opposing team has a good flanker or god forbid a widow maker you are three kinds of hosed

I also think his ulti might be the worst out of the supports because you have to rely on your teammates to move into it

every time I ult on Zen, I say "push", hit Z to explain why, wait a second for it to register, then ult and push forward

my team, invariably, stays where they are behind the chokepoint, gawping at the pretty golden light with wondrous awe

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Roadhog's stun starts when the hook lands, but the further away you hook them from the longer it takes to pull them towards you. That can mean a long range hook lets them get a moment to act. They might hit you back, move slightly out of optimal shooting position etc. That's probably what's spoiling your hooks.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Minrad posted:

probably pretty high

this loving rng... getting duplicates when I have a hundred fifty items out of a thousand items total... what are the fucken odds!

3 duplicates out of 4 draws when you have 150/1000 items is a one in two thousand chance so, yeah, good job

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Kawabata posted:

Roadhog questions:

It would seem that I'm an EU top 100 Roadhog on Master Overwatch (deheheheheeeeeeee) but the hero mechanics still feel super inconsistent. Sometimes hooking (especially when it's from max distance) doesn't seem to prevent the guy from using his escape ability before I mouse 1 them in the face which is incredibly loving stupid and aggravating. Does the stun not last long enough when you hook from far away? Is it a my ping vs their ping thing? Were they using the skill right before getting hooked?

Also, the way the target is hooked to you is often super wonky and awkward (sometimes they come in a curve, sometimes you don't even see them in your screen for some reason) and to my knowledge there's still no consensus on where you should shoot, head or body. You'd think on tanks it should be head because most if not all the pellets should hit at that distance, but on everyone else it's like whatever. I've hooked Reaper in 2 identical situations, both times he's at full life, my reticle covers his chest completely, but the first time my hook-mouse1-melee combo leaves him at 10hp, the second time he dies even before my melee hits him.

Far as I know, the hook is a timed stun. The further away, the more the stun's duration is during the pull.

For a Reaper, you shoot the body because you get more damage that way. Ostensibly, this works for Roadhog, too - go to the Training Center and test on bots to see what part of the body is more reliable damage.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

a cat on an apple posted:

To be fair, it doesn't take but two good teamfights to win the whole of Anubis, really. Attackers get some 9 minutes to do that.

Well...you kinda need to team up and coordinate efforts for that tho. Most times you're just dying over and over in those 9min because your team refuses to follow the tank, the tank wants to be a DPS and the support is getting ganked by their Widowmaker. You don't (and you shouldn't) balance games around solo queue but maaan I feel like I'm playing Turbine sometimes.

Also I'm like the #300 Soldier, so don't think my complaints are based on me being skillful and poo poo. I'm just happy I'm getting a 2.0 K/D for the first time in an FPS.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

blastron posted:

3 duplicates out of 4 draws when you have 150/1000 items is a one in two thousand chance so, yeah, good job

Wow!!!!! He better head out and buy a powerball, stat!!!!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How do I :gitgud: with Zenyatta? I love his concept but so far I've avoided playing him because I don't feel like I'm contributing much when I do.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

I got one this morning as Winston just flinging myself through the enemy team and killing a bunch of them with my zapper while they were trying to capture the point

It was my first one and I felt very happy :shobon:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Harrow posted:

How do I :gitgud: with Zenyatta? I love his concept but so far I've avoided playing him because I don't feel like I'm contributing much when I do.

You generally hang back and pick a partner. You can hit people with the heal orb and orb of shame from so far away, and hanging back lets you take advantage of the fact that a majority of your health regens while circumventing that you have one of the lowest health caps. The orb of shame turns people into paper for your teammates to rip apart, and you're a walking glass cannon, so your purpose is to be support from afar. Playing like this lets you build up your ultimate very quickly and help with a lot of pushes. Your biggest threats are people who can flank you or shoot you from a distance like Widowmaker or Tracer, though.

It's important to note that Zenyatta is more of a support role that just so happens to be able to heal, rather than a dedicated healer, so much sure you and your team is aware that he's not comparable to Lucio or Mercy and is more supplemental to a team with one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

flashman posted:

Wow!!!!! He better head out and buy a powerball, stat!!!!

I have literally no explanation for why this specifically is a thing worth being a cock over.

Like imagine if you were just talking to one of your friends and they were like "geez they said there weren't going to be showers yesterday but the minute I left my house it started raining! What are the odds!?" and you responded with "oh yeah real fuckin weird you dumb idiot bitch"