Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mature style Mika looks good as well!

Mika in general just has top-tier VISUALS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
But even more melodrama and this loving music is bugging me.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like, I don't mind drama.

Mio's drama was something I liked because her reactions were enjoyable, and three characters - Rin, Producer, and Mio - all noticeably grew from that experience. But I don't feel that with Mimura or Chieri.

And having drama episodes back to back is...

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What happened to the sunshine? What happened to cheerful music?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God loving dammit I hate this woman.

We have a word for people like her in Korea.

Parachute.

I guess the English equivalent is revolving door. Or maybe nepotism.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Mio's drama was something I liked because her reactions were enjoyable, and three characters - Rin, Producer, and Mio - all noticeably grew from that experience. But I don't feel that with Mimura or Chieri.

I guess the intention is that they stopped being afraid of people in general, which is a pretty career-limiting problem, but that doesn't particularly come across either in that episode or any other.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Last time to tried to recruit a princess, she went to another castle, director.

Castle in this sense refers to event, not production company.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Polsy posted:

I guess the intention is that they stopped being afraid of people in general, which is a pretty career-limiting problem, but that doesn't particularly come across either in that episode or any other.

Yeah, my problem is that I literally don't recall much about either. Chieri especially, since Kanako has the sweets gimmick.

But Chieri is Yukiho taken to the max. Her entire gimmick feels like being nice - a pretty lackluster gimmick since more of the girls are kind - and being hella nervous.

You take that away, and she's bland.

You leave it be, and you revert back to the status quo.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You know what would be nice?

A Ranko episode.

We got any of those in the pipelne?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh, this is a really good topic.

The question of idols as variety entertainers versus idols as singers.

I'll talk more about it later but iM@S was more about the latter while CG feels a lot more like the former.

I talked about it briefly before when discussing concepts, but concepts and character play a very large role in varieties.

With Mishiro's plans for artificially creating concepts for idols based on business as opposed to their natural personality, this is something that would be really fun to type about.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mio you lovable scamp.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh God.

Are we gonna have family drama.

Miria jealous about her baby sibling taking up mom's attention?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
UUUUUUUGH SCHOOL DRAMA.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
AWWWW poo poo RIKA WITH THE SCATHING BURN.

HIT THOSE FUCKERS RIGHT IN THE PRIDE!!!!!!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My opinion of Rika has gone up and will continue to go up if she can deliver more zingers.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

You know what would be nice?

A Ranko episode.

We got any of those in the pipelne?

fraid not, the episodes kind of lean away from the Cinderella Project at least in part because of Mishiro interference

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Polsy posted:

fraid not, the episodes kind of lean away from the Cinderella Project at least in part because of Mishiro interference

Blegh.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Um, Rika, given what I've seen of episode 18, this is not the case.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Seriously what is that cat.

WHAT IS THAT CAT?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
To be honest I'm not very fond of this "make these chicks wear kindergarten clothes" thing. It just seems pretty weird.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
We might not get a Ranko episode but at least we got a glimpse of Ranko, which is more than I can ask for at this rate.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
.... Seriously?

The baby crying as soon as Miria comes to tell her mom the good news?

Again?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Seriously what is that cat.

WHAT IS THAT CAT?

I'm not sure Pinya's technically a cat, but I wouldn't like to guess what it is either

To be honest I'm not very fond of this "make these chicks wear kindergarten clothes" thing. It just seems pretty weird.

I don't even know what you do with that setup as a variety show, but it conveniently works for the plot point

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm sorry if I come across as very bitchy and complainy but this really annoys me.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Polsy posted:

I'm not sure Pinya's technically a cat, but I wouldn't like to guess what it is either

I know that OP has it as his avatar and it comes out as a cameo in that Grandblue Fantasy game you play.

Polsy posted:

I don't even know what you do with that setup as a variety show, but it conveniently works for the plot point

They did it in iM@S as well if I recall, for their weekly show, and it was weird then too.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

graybook posted:

"I am an American girl who dreams of love
My favorite food is a hamburger"
-ancient American proverb

This is me except the girl part and the dream part.

I only dream of electric sheep so I can make electric mutton skewers.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

They did it in iM@S as well if I recall, for their weekly show, and it was weird then too.

I remember Yayoi and.... Iori? Dressing up like that? And Azusa as the teacher?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

.... Seriously?

The baby crying as soon as Miria comes to tell her mom the good news?

Again?

Miria slams the front door and wakes it up, it's the only thing that makes sense.

I remember Yayoi and.... Iori? Dressing up like that? And Azusa as the teacher?

Yeah, that sounds familiar now you mention it. I really need to rewatch that.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Polsy posted:

Miria slams the front door and wakes it up, it's the only thing that makes sense.

Yeah I was gonna make that joke if it happened a third time.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mika....

;_;

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's telling that Rika doesn't want the clothes that Mika used to wear, but the clothes that Mika is currently wearing and doesn't like.

It's about emulating Mika, and not the style that Mika represents.

Even if the style changes, Mika is still the end goal.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mika is pissed.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ah, yes, Miria riding alone while you see a mother and child riding together.

I mean, this is a pretty often used technique and it's generally pretty effective I guess but in context of this episode it's not really doing me any favors.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Miria expressing my feelings.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
At least the sky is blue.

Gotta find that silver lining somehow!

I am nothing if not positive.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Pinya is love, Pinya is life.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That said, my complaining aside, I can sorta see Rika's point.

The biggest reason for the conflict in S2 is that one side wants to create artificial characters, while the other side wants to create things based around the inherent characters.

But this new program forces the idols into loving weird kindergarten uniforms. Which already sets this tone of childishness, coloring the viewer's perception,

Granted, this doesn't relieve Rika from the responsibility of giving it her all, especially when all the other idols are also doing their best. In fact, the other idols are still able to show off their personalities and characters while doing so. Like the haughty chick. Or Abe Nana and her I'm always 17 thing, which works great with a straight man.

But Rika's thing is being young, energetic, and also wanting to model herself after her sister. But the problem is that the last aspect isn't something that shows up easily. When Mika was wearing gal-style clothing, Rika was all about wanting to be sexy and cool, leading to what she claimed to her classmates. But now that Mika's mature, that's what she wants to be now. You can't really translate that well into a variety or as a celebrity, because just trying to emulate someone makes you a shittier version of them. It still works for her cause she's young and also related to Mika, but it's not something that you can keep on doing, I think. At some point you gotta grow into your own.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Anzu is a cool city girl.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ah, yes, this is why they focused on Mika's fingernails while she was drinking coffee.

So we could be like, hey, Rika also has colored fingernails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What kind of hosed up genes give birth to a pink haired idol and a blonde idols?