Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

XBenedict posted:

Welp, if you've done all that, and they don't have UTI or Kidney Stones, it's time to...

Shave my head and get even more cats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

toplitzin posted:

I don't think i can catte owner anymore.

I'm so unbelievably tired of constant messes followed clean bills of health from the vet.

I have one cat who will pee outside the box and another who loves to leave surprise shits in/on my bed. (worst is when she unmakes the bed, shits on my sheets and then buries it under the blanket vs just making GBS threads right on top. I only find that when its bedtime and all you want to do is sleep.

I've got multiple littler boxes, scooped 2x a day, tried different litters. I cleaned and changed both boxes yesterday and was rewarded with a bed poo poo for my troubles.
They go for checkups far too often since we've drilled that skipping a litterbox may be sick cat, but it's not.
I've had these guys for 4 years now and it just never ends. I'd understand if it was just hairballs, but it's not.
I might get 3 weeks without a mess, but it's really getting old.
I mean, they're cute and very much loving, but the constant additional housekeeping is really wearing on me.

Part of me wants to tie them up with a little bow and re-home them, part of me just wants to drop them off at the SCPA.
I've done every list of good cat owner things and it doesn't end.
Maybe i'm just exhausted, i don't know. Why can't they just behave. This is their only rear end in a top hat behavior but it's a terrible one.

Help?

Is the pooping only on the bed? If so maybe it's passive aggressive territorial behavior? The bed is highly sought after territory as it is where the humans exist and has the most human smell. What kind of cat furniture do they have in the bedroom? Do you have a UV light? Even if you can't smell it there could be residual cat urine in the bedroom causing territorial issues. You have to use stuff like vinegar and baking soda to actually get rid of the urine.

Thank you so much for putting up with this for 4 years now. Most people dump cats at the shelter immediately after any litter box issues.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
the only thing i might chime in with is that Reik has a good point the only time cats ever started expressing that here, (outsides normal pet messes which never really go away) was generally when they were acting out about something. but that long term nature of it gives me pause which one is the alpha?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Reik posted:

Is the pooping only on the bed? If so maybe it's passive aggressive territorial behavior? The bed is highly sought after territory as it is where the humans exist and has the most human smell. What kind of cat furniture do they have in the bedroom? Do you have a UV light? Even if you can't smell it there could be residual cat urine in the bedroom causing territorial issues. You have to use stuff like vinegar and baking soda to actually get rid of the urine.

Thank you so much for putting up with this for 4 years now. Most people dump cats at the shelter immediately after any litter box issues.

No, it's bed pooping, soft thing on the floor pooping (towels, dirty laundry [but not in the hamper {YET???}]), carpet in the living room pooping, roommate's bed/bathroom/closet.
(soft turds, full turds, and muddbutt, hell i even had to hold one mid shart so she wouldn't leave the tile floor [i literally grabbed her off the roommates bed as she started to squat and lift the tail)
I've cleaned with Natures Miracle, Hoover/Bissel "pet mess" detergents, vinegar, soap, bleach, blends of the previous 3, hydrogen peroxide, oxy clean, and professional carpet cleaners.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

toplitzin posted:

No, it's bed pooping, soft thing on the floor pooping (towels, dirty laundry [but not in the hamper {YET???}]), carpet in the living room pooping, roommate's bed/bathroom/closet.

I've cleaned with Natures Miracle, Hoover/Bissel "pet mess" detergents, vinegar, soap, bleach, blends of the previous 3, hydrogen peroxide, oxy clean, and professional carpet cleaners.

Do both cats have their front claws?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Reik posted:

Do both cats have their front claws?

Yes, and i can trim them without struggle/cat burrito/my own evisceration/death.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

toplitzin posted:

Yes, and i can trim them without struggle/cat burrito/my own evisceration/death.

What is your scented candle melted wax or general smell diffuser situation like? I'm talking about stuff humans like not feline pheromone diffusers.

Also, have you tried feliway?

Reik fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 23, 2016

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Reik posted:

What is your scented candle melted wax or general smell diffuser situation like? I'm talking about stuff humans like not feline pheromone diffusers.

Also, have you tried feliway?

No scent action in this house. there is a air filter/ionizer in the bedroom from when the litter box was in the closet.
(i do smoke weed but its only in one room and they haven't done anything more than hairballs in there)

Vent/bathroom fan in the bathroom i share with the upstairs litterbox, and the downstairs is in the laundry room behind a flapless cat door.

I have a bottle of feliway spray that i use when things are going to change or stress levels are going to go up. (vet, carrier, sequestered in a room when repairmen come, etc). The pee cat will still stress pee on most car rides involving her carrier, regardless of feliway levels. (she rode accident free in the hatchback of a GTI from KS to NC over 3 days. No crate, but large pet cage/locked in the back)

I had a diffuser when i adopted them and had a small (under 800 sq ft) apt, but covering this house (1800sq ft, across multiple floors) in feliway diffusers would break the bank.

Edit: I forgot, the litterbox is sometimes self cleaning because the dog likes the poo candy covered in pee flavored sprinkles.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 23, 2016

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

toplitzin posted:

(i do smoke weed but its only in one room and they haven't done anything more than hairballs in there)

Have you tried smoking weed in other rooms?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

toplitzin posted:

No scent action in this house. there is a air filter/ionizer in the bedroom from when the litter box was in the closet.

Vent/bathroom fan in the bathroom i share with the upstairs litterbox, and the downstairs is in the laundry room behind a flapless cat door.

I have a bottle of feliway spray that i use when things are going to change or stress levels are going to go up. (vet, carrier, sequestered in a room when repairmen come, etc). The pee cat will still stress pee on most car rides involving her carrier, regardless of feliway levels. (she rode accident free in the hatchback of a GTI from KS to NC over 3 days. No crate, but large pet cage/locked in the back)

I had a diffuser when i adopted them and had a small (under 800 sq ft) apt, but covering this house (1800sq ft, across multiple floors) in feliway diffusers would break the bank.

Edit: I forgot, the litterbox is sometimes self cleaning because the dog likes the poo candy covered in pee flavored sprinkles.

Have you ever seen the dog go looking for poo candy while it is occupado?

We converted a closet in to a litter box area and hung up a shower curtain to increase privacy, and they seem to really like it. I have to install another curtained off cat bathroom for the other cats because they would hold it in until they could access the converted closet bathroom. Maybe that could help?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Reik posted:

Have you ever seen the dog go looking for poo candy while it is occupado?

We converted a closet in to a litter box area and hung up a shower curtain to increase privacy, and they seem to really like it. I have to install another curtained off cat bathroom for the other cats because they would hold it in until they could access the converted closet bathroom. Maybe that could help?

No, she leaves them their space unless they are both sharing a piece of furniture.
The dog waits for them to reach the right level of desiccation before she feasts.

The more barriers for entry the more often they will choose someplace else. I even gave them an entire bathroom to themselves and they still would skip it. (i lived in a 2/2 on my own and gave them the "master bath")
The cats have an uber private one downstairs behind the cat door to the laundry room.
The only closet space i have that would take a litter box is my bedroom closet and then both my room, my clothes, and my sleeping self get infused with eau de litterbox

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
You could try quarantining the cats to a room or area when they can't be supervised or at night until they start using the litterbox normally again.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Try put the litterbox on your bed til they get the idea and slowly move the box away?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Try put the litterbox on your bed til they get the idea and slowly move the box away?

"Put the litterbox on your bed"

catowners.txt

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah, I would try keeping them to one room and slowly allowing them greater access as they use only the box. Since the bed is the worst place why not keep them out of your bedroom altogether unless supervised?

Meanwhile, my new cat has finally settled in enough to let me pet her a bit, but she has a habit of suddenly turning and whacking me with a paw. Sometimes I know it's because I've startled her (she wants pettings but she doesn't want to see my hand move towards her) but sometimes I can't predict that she's about to do it at all. She's not trying to hurt me but she's used to whacking other cats so she has her claws out a little bit and it often draws blood if she connects as I don't have any fur to cushion the blow.

I've been trying to convince her not to do it by immediately stopping petting her and going to do something else but I'm wondering if that's even worth doing? She's about two and a half years old so she's way past kitten and she got most of her socialization with other cats. I can't really do the loud yelping thing because she mostly wants to be petted in the early morning and late at night which means one or other of my housemates is inevitably asleep.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

duckfarts posted:

You could try quarantining the cats to a room or area when they can't be supervised or at night until they start using the litterbox normally again.

this.

and like with all changes in animal routine they might get scratchy and loud so earplugs.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

SneakyFrog posted:

this.

and like with all changes in animal routine they might get scratchy and loud so earplugs.

That's the thing, it's not constant enough. I'll get a few weeks without a problem sometimes, other times it's once or twice a week.
Knowing my luck they'd use it perfectly in quarantine then the minute they get back out i'd find a mess and they'd just stay in there again using the box all nice and sweet.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Aaaaaaand fats just unloaded her bladder on the carpet, and I literally just scooped the box.

I'm so loving done, I really am.
Anyone in the triangle, nc area want two cats?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

toplitzin posted:

Aaaaaaand fats just unloaded her bladder on the carpet, and I literally just scooped the box.

I'm so loving done, I really am.
Anyone in the triangle, nc area want two cats?

http://www.opawtime.org/

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Wish I could be posting under better circumstances, but here I am :( Sorry for long post.

I've got a cat who's had a chronic spraying problem (male, neutered, 3.5 years old) ever since I got him at the local shelter two years ago - he was released by his old owner for the same problem. He only seems to be spraying in the basement, except my mother (who is the owner of the house and extremely fed up with the cat and with me for not taking him back to the shelter immediately) recently found a spot upstairs he'd sprayed on. She's put her foot down and told me I have to take him back, but I'm trying to buy him a little more time.

I keep his two litter boxes super clean, scoop twice daily on a schedule, use two different kinds of litter he likes, change the litter weekly, wash them out completely every 2-3 weeks. He's the only animal in the house, indoor only (though I take him outside for an hour supervised most days, so he can get some air). He only sprays the couch and some areas around the wall, which I promptly clean with distilled vinegar.

He's got a vet appointment for Tuesday, which was the earliest I could get him in, but literally every interaction with my mother right now is some variation on "you care more about the cat than me" or "I don't feel free in my own home anymore" guilt-tripping etc to the point where I'm afraid she'll force me to take him back before we can even make it to Tuesday. Spoilered for personal, even though it's her house, the reason I'm not taking her into more consideration is because she's an abusive piece of poo poo who's using the cat as an excuse to make me feel even guiltier about me being a failure as a human being but this is PI not E/N so I'll leave it at that

I'm really emotionally torn because the cat's been through 2 or 3 homes before this one and he's really obviously happy here, he sleeps everywhere and is affectionate and is generally just so far gone from the cat he was 2 years ago who would immediately hide from everyone as soon as we showed up in a room. I feel like I'd be abandoning him just as he felt like he'd found a home.
Oh, and I'd have to return him to a kill-shelter. Cherry on top.

tl;dr I'm trying to find some methods to get the cat to stop spraying for AT LEAST a few days (ideally forever) until I can get him in to his vet appointment and check for UTI or something. He's perfectly happy with stepping and pissing on tin foil, I haven't tried double-sided tape because tape is one of his favorite flavors and is constantly trying to eat it if it's lying around (what the gently caress), moving the litter box to that spot hasn't helped.

problem catte in question

Also feel free to tell me I'm being a dumb idiot and should listen to my mom more

melodicwaffle fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 27, 2016

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
IF medical issues are out of the way, I'd look into what might be causing stress in the environment. But it sounds like you are doing all the right things. Are there stray animals outside the house ever? Is your mom nice to the cat? all of these things CAN be factors.

oh and Feliway

try that as well.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Keep cat in room until you move out?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Release your mother to the shelter?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

JohnnyCanuck posted:

this too

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

JohnnyCanuck posted:

This sounds fine. She's already given me poo poo about making a vet appointment, she thinks doctors for animals is a waste of time and money & if an animal gets sick that just means "it's their time to go." I'm unemployed and paying for his medical stuff out of my savings, which sucks but is necessary.

She isn't mean to the cat unless she finds fresh spray. Then she does the exact opposite of what I've been asking her to do and immediately screams at the cat and rubs his nose in the carpet. That's why I've been trying to clean up poo poo before she can find it. Besides that she's usually pretty nice to him, babytalks him or pets him.

This entire situation with her is loving weird and she probably shouldn't own an animal which is why sometimes I wonder if the cat really would be better off back at the shelter. :(

Gonna pick up some Feliway from the store when I go out today, it's probably gonna be overpriced as poo poo at the local petsmart but I can't wait on amazon prime to get it to me before the end of the weekend. This is pretty much my last chance to save this cat unless it really is a physical problem.

e: I mean I could probably also quarantine him in the bathroom for a while but idk, I feel kinda cruel doing that for an extended period of time

melodicwaffle fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 27, 2016

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I am also the owner of a couch-pisser. We put the couch cushions up whenever we aren't using them. It doesn't look great but it keeps them clean.

You also probably want to use something like Nature's Miracle instead of vinegar. Cat pee has a smell that lingers, so if it's not 100% gone your couch will still smell like a toilet to the cat.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

melodicwaffle posted:

This sounds fine. She's already given me poo poo about making a vet appointment, she thinks doctors for animals is a waste of time and money & if an animal gets sick that just means "it's their time to go." I'm unemployed and paying for his medical stuff out of my savings, which sucks but is necessary.

She isn't mean to the cat unless she finds fresh spray. Then she does the exact opposite of what I've been asking her to do and immediately screams at the cat and rubs his nose in the carpet. That's why I've been trying to clean up poo poo before she can find it. Besides that she's usually pretty nice to him, babytalks him or pets him.

This entire situation with her is loving weird and she probably shouldn't own an animal which is why sometimes I wonder if the cat really would be better off back at the shelter. :(

Gonna pick up some Feliway from the store when I go out today, it's probably gonna be overpriced as poo poo at the local petsmart but I can't wait on amazon prime to get it to me before the end of the weekend. This is pretty much my last chance to save this cat unless it really is a physical problem.

e: I mean I could probably also quarantine him in the bathroom for a while but idk, I feel kinda cruel doing that for an extended period of time

Could you keep the cat in your room? That would be much better than risking a kill-shelter.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

As someone said, distilled vinegar isn't good enough you have to use enzymatic cleaner like natures miracle or whatever brand you like. Anything else, and he will still be able to smell it.

Screaming and rubbing his nose in the carpet can only make it worse. That is a huge stress factor to his life.

I would go absolutely nuts with the enzyme cleaner on everything he sprayed, then keep him confined if you can until he sees the vet. I hope everything works out for your kitty.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

This was the end of my pee-kitty nightmare. I had a sprayer. We keep our windows open in the spring, and he could smell the ferals around the house.

Odoban worked for me. YMMV

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Update: I went out and bought a bottle of Nature's Miracle. Holy poo poo that stuff really blocks out the eternal smell of piss. I also placed an order for Feliway since petsmart wanted $50 and my firstborn child for a diffuser and I'd forgotten amazon prime does Sunday shipping so I'll just have to keep a close eye on the cat until I can try that out. The mother has only harassed me once about the cat today and that was this morning before I sprayed everything, so I'm hopeful??

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone, I feel a bit more confident that I can save Apollo now. :3:

e: Forgot to ask. Is it possible that the cat is smelling the neighbors' dogs from inside the house? One of them's always kept indoors and the other one's kept to its own yard by a fence, but sometimes I can hear them barking at each other or at Apollo when he's in the backyard. I wouldn't think that would be what's causing him any territorial anxiety because he always completely ignores them when they bark, but I dunno.

melodicwaffle fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 27, 2016

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Does this look like a bite wound?

One of my cats has been playing progressively more rough with the other, and while I've yet to see (or hear) anything bad, I'm guessing the other is getting tired of it and biting.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Given the bare patch, I would guess excessive scratching, possibly from allergies. My cat used to get bare spots and sores like that until we switched to grain free food.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Mango Polo posted:

Does this look like a bite wound?

One of my cats has been playing progressively more rough with the other, and while I've yet to see (or hear) anything bad, I'm guessing the other is getting tired of it and biting.

yeah that looks like back claws on own face type stuff there. actual bites are pretty solid deep punctures.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Well gently caress, off to the vet at the next opportunity then.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
Random question: a long time ago(9 years) when I first got my cat she was 8 weeks or so and gave her a flea bath there was a significant red tinge to the water when it washed off her which looked like blood and certainly wasn't the soaps color or dirt and she why screaming the whole time (later found out she is just a whiner) I freaked out and brought her straight to the emergency vet where they checked her thoroughly and found no injuries. So i brought her to my actual vet assuming they missed something they never had an explanation either. Anyone have an idea what it could have been?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grody posted:

Random question: a long time ago(9 years) when I first got my cat she was 8 weeks or so and gave her a flea bath there was a significant red tinge to the water when it washed off her which looked like blood and certainly wasn't the soaps color or dirt and she why screaming the whole time (later found out she is just a whiner) I freaked out and brought her straight to the emergency vet where they checked her thoroughly and found no injuries. So i brought her to my actual vet assuming they missed something they never had an explanation either. Anyone have an idea what it could have been?

There was probably a lot of flea poop in her fur. Flea poop is mostly dried blood, so when it gets wet it is bright red.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Organza Quiz posted:

Meanwhile, my new cat has finally settled in enough to let me pet her a bit, but she has a habit of suddenly turning and whacking me with a paw. Sometimes I know it's because I've startled her (she wants pettings but she doesn't want to see my hand move towards her) but sometimes I can't predict that she's about to do it at all. She's not trying to hurt me but she's used to whacking other cats so she has her claws out a little bit and it often draws blood if she connects as I don't have any fur to cushion the blow.

I've been trying to convince her not to do it by immediately stopping petting her and going to do something else but I'm wondering if that's even worth doing? She's about two and a half years old so she's way past kitten and she got most of her socialization with other cats. I can't really do the loud yelping thing because she mostly wants to be petted in the early morning and late at night which means one or other of my housemates is inevitably asleep.

Are her nails trimmed regularly? That would at least keep her from drawing blood.

She might just need some time to get used to you and for you to read her her body language. With my cat I've noticed that with new people she may use some claws to show she's annoyed or on edge, but if you consistently treat her respectfully, she gradually uses as little as needed to get the message across (a clawless bop, or a feint, or just a glare).

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

Are her nails trimmed regularly? That would at least keep her from drawing blood.

She might just need some time to get used to you and for you to read her her body language. With my cat I've noticed that with new people she may use some claws to show she's annoyed or on edge, but if you consistently treat her respectfully, she gradually uses as little as needed to get the message across (a clawless bop, or a feint, or just a glare).

It's taken six months for her to let me pet her at all and I've only just managed to get a collar on her so I haven't even tried to clip her claws. She mostly has been feinting at me but the other day she just turned around and got me pretty hard. I guess she's doing that less often though and like everything else it's a case of let her get comfortable with me slowly.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Organza Quiz posted:

It's taken six months for her to let me pet her at all and I've only just managed to get a collar on her so I haven't even tried to clip her claws. She mostly has been feinting at me but the other day she just turned around and got me pretty hard. I guess she's doing that less often though and like everything else it's a case of let her get comfortable with me slowly.

eh you just are socializing her slowly. You are doing fine. Some just are more aggressive and non touchy at first. They usually all come around sometimes reluctantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
So we just adopted two more cats, surrenders by a coworker who couldn't keep them, and they're both pretty chill and settling in well after only a day or so. But one of them, Athena, is a weirdo. She's friendly, not very skittish, loves pets, sleeps a lot, explores, and growls constantly. She's not showing any signs of agression, like I said she's really chill for having just moved in, she just growls. It's really confusing, and hard not to flinch away until you get used to it.

Anybody ever heard of this? I've never met a cat that growls when happy and calm. Could it be a weird purr, or confused reaction to being in a new house? We have other cats which she can smell signs of but hasn't met face to face yet. She only seems to growl when interacting with people so far.

It's only been a day, so we don't know her yet, but wow how strange.