Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

enb is the only "popular" dark souls guy who talks about lore without acting like a dumb ape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

GulagDolls posted:

enb is the only "popular" dark souls guy who talks about lore without acting like a dumb ape

Kay Plays is pretty good, especially in her ds1 videos when she's playing a souls have for the first time.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Don't watch any videos. Enjoy solidarity and draw your own conclusions :geno:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Shannow posted:

Kay Plays is pretty good, especially in her ds1 videos when she's playing a souls have for the first time.

If we're talking about people devoid of personality...

ENB uses -san because it's more natural to him after living in Japan/marrying a Japanese girl. He only speaks Japanese with his daughter as well. So not so much just an anime fan adopting cultural affectations.

Anyway, his main appeal is that he doesn't have the over the top personalities of most streamers but is still informative since he's worked on the guide and with From themselves. If that more understated approach isn't for you, fine. Twitch is full of people with bigger personalities.

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014

Cactus posted:

I watched some epicnamebro videos because apparently he's the poo poo when it comes to dark souls videos. I don't think I've ever listened to a youtuber so devoid of personality. Also the way he name-drops the dark souls main producer guy and insists on putting -san after his name makes him sound like a simpering wee bow.

for what it's worth, enb speaks Japanese and lived in Japan for a while, worked on guides for Bloodborne and Dark Souls II, and has met Miyazaki numerous times, so if anyone's gonna namedrop him and have the authority to do so, why not enb?

the das3 playthrough is a little slow compared to some of the others (the last dark souls 1 playthrough, while even slower, is maybe the best playthrough of a game I've seen) cuz it's blind, but it's still a good playthrough. I'd stick with it tbh, he'll grow on you.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzWWoG0C1ns

Watch that and PvP videos and you're set.

Just skip the sad part where twatty bidé-a spergs out about loreshit in the catacombs episode. Jesus..

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 29, 2016

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Ok I concede he's actually immersed in Japanese culture and I didn't know that. Fair enough.

e: I like Kay the best. Her sense of humour is so subtle and dry it agrees with me.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 29, 2016

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I enjoy Kay Plays because her only interaction with the games is when she plays them in the mornings before work. No mention of Miyazaki or PvP meta or memes, no looking over at a stream chat window. Even her video comments are relayed to her second-hand. She has nothing else to do with Dark Souls and its community.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

^^yeah that too.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Ok, if, like, ANY of you have not seen the Adventures of Edwad Emberpants and the Sunbros, you need to uh...you really, really need to get on that.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'll google it. Sounds pretty fuckin random.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
On the flip side, the IGN 'prepare to try' series is strangely entertaining in how awful the guy playing is.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Shannow posted:

On the flip side, the IGN 'prepare to try' series is strangely entertaining in how awful the guy playing is.

Yeah they nailed taking the piss to the extreme without being cruel about it. That guy really does ask for it though, and he knows it.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Bugblatter posted:

If we're talking about people devoid of personality...

ENB uses -san because it's more natural to him after living in Japan/marrying a Japanese girl. He only speaks Japanese with his daughter as well. So not so much just an anime fan adopting cultural affectations.

Anyway, his main appeal is that he doesn't have the over the top personalities of most streamers but is still informative since he's worked on the guide and with From themselves. If that more understated approach isn't for you, fine. Twitch is full of people with bigger personalities.

No, dude, Japan isn't real. It's made up by anime, and if you ever, EVER, know someone from "Japan" and try to be polite to them, it's because you're some fuckin anime wee bow piece of poo poo.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

so on the subject of the majority of the rings having their benefits neutered and their penalties enhanced in pvp, what rings are worth using for a regular sword fighter man in pvp? it seems like chloranthy is decent, possibly havel's if you really need some specific fashion set-up, hornet ring is obvious. does the bloodring or the prisoner's chain also double the damage penalty you take in pvp (the video linked didn't mention those rings specifically)? possibly estus ring or life ring just to try and maximize your health and limit how much better the host's estus situation is?

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

homeless poster posted:

so on the subject of the majority of the rings having their benefits neutered and their penalties enhanced in pvp, what rings are worth using for a regular sword fighter man in pvp? it seems like chloranthy is decent, possibly havel's if you really need some specific fashion set-up, hornet ring is obvious. does the bloodring or the prisoner's chain also double the damage penalty you take in pvp (the video linked didn't mention those rings specifically)? possibly estus ring or life ring just to try and maximize your health and limit how much better the host's estus situation is?

Life Ring and Ring of Favor are the two best. Hornet Ring and Leo Ring are crazy good if you are meeting either of their criteria even occasionally in duels. Cloranthy is really solid, 20% faster regen at +2. Havel's is good if you need it for fashion/equipment. Sage Ring if you are doing any casting, Lingering Dragoncrest if you are relying on buffs (most of the percentage based buffs like Deep Protection, Sacred Oatch, etc, don't work well in PvP either, so stick to weapon buffs and Iron Flesh). Lloyd's Shield Ring and Sun Princess Ring have a neat interaction with Life Ring in that if you get hit (reduced by Lloyd's Shield), then swap Life Ring for Sun Princess, you will be nearly at full hp again (since your max has dropped) and will get another tick of Lloyd's if you can avoid damage long enough to regen back up. That's kind of advanced maneuver stuff though so don't sweat it. Oh and Untrue Dark Ring is S-tier for fashion of course.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Untrue Dark Ring is the most important one.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Mostly because trying to swap yourself to human on the fly actually causes horrific glitches this time.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Even if you're not ring-swapping lloyd's shield ring is still worth about an extra hit worth of damage in PVP which makes worth it if you have a slot for it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

carthus bloodring+armor of thorns is the most obnoxious thing

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Ineffiable posted:

Because it's not a dysfunctional product like everyone makes it out to be. It's just how this game plays a little differently.

:words:

Tl;dr the poise issue is a stupid issue.

People always seem to try to turn it into an argument that the game is playable/better/whatever without it. Ok. That isn't especially relevant, though, as the game is/was obviously built with poise in mind. Say for example they just borrowed the UI it couldn't figure out how to remove the Poise field without mangling everything horribly. Ok. Great. They made up values for the sake of looks for armor. Why does the wolf ring exist then? Why are there shields that say they affect poise?

You can make the argument that the game is better without it. You might be right. But poise was clearly gutted, intentionally or not. And in a late, ham-fisted way, to boot, because they nerfed or completely invalidated items in the process.

And the least they could do is not try to fool people into thinking it works by having the description say something that doesn't occur.

I'd personally like to see poise enabled. But I'd be a lot less annoyed about it if it just didn't appear on anything.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Anyone else think those weird-rear end baby things in the dungeon look like proto-oceiros? Maybe they were rejected experiments before he perfected whatever technique let him become what he is.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Anyone else think those weird-rear end baby things in the dungeon look like proto-oceiros? Maybe they were rejected experiments before he perfected whatever technique let him become what he is.

thats exactly what it says in their item descriptions (tail bone weapons)

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I didn't even know they dropped poo poo. Well, mystery solved. Good job everyone!

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Manatee Cannon posted:

carthus bloodring+armor of thorns is the most obnoxious thing

It struggles to do well against high poise builds because you can ignore several hits while hitting them with your Ultra Great Swords; I recommend trying out some heavier armor to counteract that playstyle :)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NTT posted:

It struggles to do well against high poise builds because you can ignore several hits while hitting them with your Ultra Great Swords; I recommend trying out some heavier armor to counteract that playstyle :)

Lol if you ever let yourself get hit with a great weapon, doubly so if you're wearing the Bloodring.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I put quite a few hours into SL1 soul of cinder. No dice. I've gotten him to his second phase a few times. In the first phase, the key seems to be to try to avoid him when he's in his lance and dex phases and punish him a ton in his magic phase, as you can just get behind him and stagger. Second phase he has less HP, but you have to be able to bait the jump attack. If you don't, he can just rush you and it's gg.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I watched a streamer plunk probably five hours into SL1 Soul of Cinder. That fight is no joke.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

RyokoTK posted:

I watched a streamer plunk probably five hours into SL1 Soul of Cinder. That fight is no joke.

I think challenge runs are just harder in this game then in the earlier games. I did a run like this in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, and there were less bosses that were just an enormous pain. I'd say flamelurker and maneater in the first, and four kings in the second. Also in Dark Souls SL1 was kind of broken because pyromancy had no leveling or scaling, so anyone could get the same damage output regardless of level. Four kings was mainly just a test if you could roll perfectly, and not be unlucky enough to get certain magic attacks used against you.

This game you have so many bosses that are pretty complex. Soul of Cinder, Pontiff, Oceiros, Twin Princes, Dancer, Armour (to some extent), Nameless King (haven't even touched that fucker), Abyss Watchers all have multiple phases, which is pretty insane.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Hate to be making GBS threads this thread up even more, but has anyone had frequent CTDs not related to bonfires? I tried setting the light quality to low but the game crashed again within 10 minutes. Seems like a driver issue, the screen freezes and then goes black, eventually I crash to the desktop with a message that the display adapter recovered from a crash. The game is still 'running' but non-responsive.

I haven't been able to find any solutions for DS3 crashes other than ones relating to the bonfire issue.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Thanks for whoever recommended Prepare to Try, I love semi-guided blind playthroughs and these dudes (with the benefit of editing) are pretty funny.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
So I decided to experiment with two weapons tonight: Moonlight Greatsword and the Winged Knight Twinaxes.

The former is pretty solid post-buff; very reasonable stat requirements for a sorcerer to meet and a respectable AR if you've hit 60 int. It's a little on the short side as far as greatswords go, but it does seem to have phantom range. I haven't really gotten a feel for the hyper armor, although I observed it does have it. The weapon art is kind of useless because it comes out too slow, dunno how you'd ever catch anyone with it. The sword beams with charged R2s are fun. They don't eat a terribly huge amount of durability and they can be handy from time to time, although I wish they had just a little more range on them. I'm disappointed in its lack of glow though, it looks rather plain.

The latter is a rather neat weapon. Why don't I ever see anyone using them? Their AR seems about on par with other twin weapons, they're actually quite fast, and I think you might be able to combo into the weapon art. I guess they do lack range, but that goes for pretty much all the twin weapons.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

so the mangrub staff is more or less a joke weapon, right? i know the testing on the fextralife wiki seems to indicate that it actually deals more damage than a comparable catalyst with the same INT, but on the other hand you have to invest points into LUCK to cast, and still invest at least enough points into INT to be able to use the spells. there's no way to obviate needing a minimum number of points in INT to even cast spells in the first place, is there (outside scholar's ring, i guess)? it just seems like there's little reason to dump 60 points into LUCK to cast when you'd also have to put something like 48 points in INT to use CSS anyway.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

homeless poster posted:

so the mangrub staff is more or less a joke weapon, right? i know the testing on the fextralife wiki seems to indicate that it actually deals more damage than a comparable catalyst with the same INT, but on the other hand you have to invest points into LUCK to cast, and still invest at least enough points into INT to be able to use the spells. there's no way to obviate needing a minimum number of points in INT to even cast spells in the first place, is there (outside scholar's ring, i guess)? it just seems like there's little reason to dump 60 points into LUCK to cast when you'd also have to put something like 48 points in INT to use CSS anyway.

I'm assuming so, because it's dumb. I hope they add more covenant rewards at some point.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Caught some easy wins with the Lucerne last night. I've always liked this weapon so I'm glad they finally made it worth a drat.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

actionjackson posted:

I think challenge runs are just harder in this game then in the earlier games. I did a run like this in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, and there were less bosses that were just an enormous pain. I'd say flamelurker and maneater in the first, and four kings in the second. Also in Dark Souls SL1 was kind of broken because pyromancy had no leveling or scaling, so anyone could get the same damage output regardless of level. Four kings was mainly just a test if you could roll perfectly, and not be unlucky enough to get certain magic attacks used against you.

This game you have so many bosses that are pretty complex. Soul of Cinder, Pontiff, Oceiros, Twin Princes, Dancer, Armour (to some extent), Nameless King (haven't even touched that fucker), Abyss Watchers all have multiple phases, which is pretty insane.

demon's souls has a lot of really easily cheese-able bosses. maneater's the only one I can think of that doesn't have a way to fight it without it ever touching you. doesn't hurt that the sl1 classes in demon's and dark souls 1 are the strongest in their respective games either

the soul of cinder having two full health bars probably doesn't help

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Do small shields (not just the special parry shields) have different parry timings compared to medium shields? Like it worked in DS2.

Edit: I'm asking because I like the fashion of the Llewellyn shield, wondering if I get a parry advantage while using it as well.

Smol fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 29, 2016

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Is there any weapon that innately scales really nice with Faith, the way Moonlight Greatsword scales with Int?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

homeless poster posted:

It could theoretically be useful for a Luck/Int build, where you focus on Anri's and buff it with CMW. Thus having a staff that scales with Luck and Int would probably let you sorc decently. But apparently the luck scaling does not affect weapon buffs so lol.

Insurrectionist posted:

Is there any weapon that innately scales really nice with Faith, the way Moonlight Greatsword scales with Int?

Nope! All the weapons with innate scaling have garbage scaling, either due to a low scaling value or too low base elemental damage. You'll have to go with some weapon that just infuses well with lightning.

A good weapon for pure faith builds is actually a raw Dragonslayer axe, especially since it received some AR alterations in a recent patch, lowering its scaling but buffing the physical and lightning base damage. You'll get the most out of the physical AR by making it raw, and then with the pretty decent innate lightning AR you can make lightning blade work really well. You'll end up with like ~500-ish lightning AR when buffed with an additional ~20o-ish physical AR, maxed out.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dragonslayer swordspear caps out at c scaling in faith. not sure if anything else goes higher than that