Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007
How does one link a crash log? Never actually had a consistent crash before, and this one is hitting me literally every time I try to leave Snake in Trunk.

Is this it? https://crawl.jorgrun.rocks/morgue/doctordoom/?file=crash-doctordoom-20160528-053414.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

ThePineapple posted:

How important is rPois to doing swamp and snake? I've got a good MiBe going with some pretty good equipment, but I haven't found any rPois anywhere. I've cleared Lair, Orc, and D:15, and the first three floors of swamp, and I'm not sure if I should try for the swamp rune, try to clear out the first levels of snake, or do something totally different.

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/Sent/Sent.txt

In my limited experience, swamp is fine if you have an ok amount of cure potions but I think snake might be pretty rough, try the first couple floors and see how you feel.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

You're gonna want to be really careful around swamp drakes and dragons though, those shoot up to the top of the threat priority if you have no rpois.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nanomashoes posted:

In my limited experience, swamp is fine if you have an ok amount of cure potions but I think snake might be pretty rough, try the first couple floors and see how you feel.

I'd say rPois is more important in Swamp than in Snake. Poison spit does very little and black mambas die quickly. Parrow will hurt more than without it and you'll need to knock out ritualists quickly to avoid OTR though. The number 1 resistance needed in Snake is rElec because gently caress shock serpents.

Swamp on the other hand has swamp drakes that confuse you with mephitic breath in an area full of deep water and poison cloud spamming swamp dragons which will put you in lethally poisoned level surprisingly quickly.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, I've been through snake once but spider like 4 times, so I'm not as knowledgable about it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
They always take off a hefty chunk of my HP, but with a decent character I've never had much trouble killing shock serpents without rElec before they kill me-just gotta be careful about engaging them with other enemies. Meanwhile, I've been hosed by OTR and died multiple times due to being taken off guard by how much damage a Guardian Serpent's venom bolt does without rPois(a lot, instead of a light tickle), so I'm more likely to care about whether I have rPois.

Also rPois is common while rElec is rare, so saying "bring rElec" doesn't make as much sense because most of the time you don't have a say in whether you have rElec

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

SirSamVimes posted:

Swamp on the other hand has swamp drakes that confuse you with mephitic breath in an area full of deep water
Confuse drowning was removed in the latest version, so the only thing swamp drake breath does is confuse you for some turns.

Meanwhile I am having the weirdest game. Decided to roll up a CeHu with crossbows, found Okawaru on D:3 and despite that I ran out of bolts around D:7, to the point that I picked up a bow and started training it because there was ~50 arrows lying around. Now I'm at D:12, cleared Orc and Lair and have some nice Arbalests/Longbows and still only have ~50 arrows and bolts each. What the heck, Okawaru???

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I started playing Circus Animals as a joke but somehow I'm now level 17, playing HaAs of Ashenzari.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

RIP drowning deaths (go gently caress yourself, drowning deaths)

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Hey devs, I was thinking that it would be nice to have more in-game information concerning the different armor categories and armor skill.
I'm in a position to choose between plate, GDA and CPA, and I have to keep in mind not only AC, EV and ego, but also GDR and the encumbrance rating accuracy penalty. Should I get my Armour skill up? My STR?
If I have a few 15-runes under my belt and I'm floundering, what hope does the average player have of making an informed, meaningful choice?
What could really help here would be adding to armor "with your current Armour skill, wearing armour of this type would cause you to miss [one in ten] attacks against a 10 EV enemy", or something of the sort. What do you think?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You should basically never let the encumbrance rating accuracy penalty affect your decisions. Just pretend it doesn't exist.

If you have at least enough strength to wear all the armors you're considering(aka at least STR=encumbrance), wear the one that gives you the most AC+EV, unless one has a resist you really want. If you don't have enough strength to wear an armor, only work towards getting the strength required if it's really dope armor(high enchant/resist you really want) and it's not super far away in STR.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 12:28 on May 28, 2016

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

changelog posted:

Make the lamp of fire and fan of gales not create elementals

And strengthen their other effects - make the fire clouds last longer and
deal more impact damage, and increase the distance of the fan knockback. Also
base knockback distance directly on the wind blast's power rather than on
evocations skill, which affects the Storm card too.

i dislike this

e: also, RIP tremor rock, but who even used that thing?

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 28, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Won't miss the stone, pretty unsure about the loss of elementals.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I liked the rock.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Can Of Worms posted:

Confuse drowning was removed in the latest version, so the only thing swamp drake breath does is confuse you for some turns.
Even if drowning deaths were removed swamp drakes still try to keep you perma-confused. Worst enemy in swamp.

Maha posted:

Hey devs, I was thinking that it would be nice to have more in-game information concerning the different armor categories and armor skill.

If you're not casting spells than only worry about the ac and ev and your strength. Accuracy and GDR aren't worth thinking about.

Also regarding evoker stuff... Why? They take a decent amount of XP to recharge, so we're supposed to keep the lantern for it's use as a one-time rod of clouds? The fan change could be ok but it sets a lovely precedent. What about phial? anything change with that? That one was kinda dumb but it and stone both had their uses.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I also liked the stone of tremors and was about to use it in Elf 3 when I saw my inventory now included a "removed stone of tremors" :(

I inscribed it and threw it into a lake, I think it would have liked it that way.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yay! gently caress drowning deaths.

e: Dunno about the elementals. I like the power boost to better separate their functions from one another and can see uses. But gonna miss the elemental friends. :(:

Social Studies 3rd Period fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 28, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It may be intended as an overall nerf to evocables, since evocations in general is very powerful right now.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The fan change is pretty minor for when I use it most, where the knock back is the important part, but getting even one air elemental early-mid game is pretty strong and losing that is a big hit. Lamp of fire without elementals is basically garbage, worse than stone of tremors which was situational but better than its reputation. It would have to fill the screen with fire to be worthwhile, the accuracy on it is terrible, you can't rely on the non-elemental parts of it for anything. Seriously, it's so bad. If you have 27 evocations you can count on it to hit an enemy immediately next to you. If you're only getting one fire spout you might as well aim it in a random direction for all the difference it will make.

E: lol, the phial keeps the water elemental summons but has reduced impact damage. What the hell, that's like the complete opposite of why you use those evocables. The lamp is useful for the summons, the phial is useful for its single target damage.

BeyondRad posted:

Even if drowning deaths were removed swamp drakes still try to keep you perma-confused. Worst enemy in swamp.
Meph cloud is resisted by HD, so by the time you are doing swamp you should be level 15+ and resist the confusion pretty regularly.

Darox fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 28, 2016

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
Is there any reason to train throwing beyond javelin mindelay on a normal size species? I know it used to scale like unarmed, but is that still the case with the recent reform?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Well, Needle effectiveness is effected by Throwing. From bots:

quote:

For needles other than poison and curare: You have a flat 2% chance of affecting monsters with HD14 or less. In all other cases, or if this 2% chance fails, you will only affect a monster if 2+ 1d(4 + Throwing Skill + Blowgun enchantment) is greater than the monster's HD.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp
Ukayawu is actually way cooler than the description sounds. I really like the build piety and use it in every fight thing -- nicely different from other gods, and the basically encouraging you to fight as many things at once is great. I love how I can take a pack that would kill a normal character hit the first one a few times run through the rest doing damage and confusing them and then get the random paralyze to kill the last couple. I haven't gotten to the point where I can use the insta-kill thing but I can see it being useful. I really like gods that are sort of automatically useful in situations where you most need help.

Also s/he does this cool thing where it links the health of all the enemies around, it often does this right before paralyzing enemies who you can then get a stab on which then one-shots enemies linked with the one you stabbed.

oneof3steves fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 28, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Amulet of Hubris just got even better, shame on anybody who isn't using it at this point imo

quote:

It used to give +25% to all damage; now it gives +30% to damage the wearer
deals and +20% to damage the wearer receives. Hopefully this will be enough
to make players find it useful.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
I know this is nothing new, but it's the first time I've ever managed it:

Never gotten any kind of stabber off the ground, but this one is going pretty good.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

you can still die if a flightform (bat, dragon, wisp) expires over deep water/lava, but hopefully we'll have another patch for that soon.

agreed

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Just got blinking from a sky beast corpse, the guy who said always eat sky beasts was right.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Darox posted:

The fan change is pretty minor for when I use it most, where the knock back is the important part, but getting even one air elemental early-mid game is pretty strong and losing that is a big hit. Lamp of fire without elementals is basically garbage, worse than stone of tremors which was situational but better than its reputation. It would have to fill the screen with fire to be worthwhile, the accuracy on it is terrible, you can't rely on the non-elemental parts of it for anything. Seriously, it's so bad. If you have 27 evocations you can count on it to hit an enemy immediately next to you. If you're only getting one fire spout you might as well aim it in a random direction for all the difference it will make.

E: lol, the phial keeps the water elemental summons but has reduced impact damage. What the hell, that's like the complete opposite of why you use those evocables. The lamp is useful for the summons, the phial is useful for its single target damage.

Meph cloud is resisted by HD, so by the time you are doing swamp you should be level 15+ and resist the confusion pretty regularly.
This is pretty much how I feel. Might as well take Lamp out entirely if you're going to make it that useless. The flame clouds barely even matter late in the game, and early on(when your evo will naturally be lower) the aim is too random to be useful.

But hey, at least Phial is 'more distinct' now. :shepface:

Still not great, but at least it's semi-usable until you get a better amulet. Like Reflection, the Objective Best Amulet.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Isn't lamp of fire without elementals just a worse fire proc from rod of clouds?

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Haifisch posted:

Still not great, but at least it's semi-usable until you get a better amulet. Like Reflection, the Objective Best Amulet.

Oh good. I was always feeling like I could be using something better than reflection, but watching Cyclopes bean themselves with their own large rocks was just too funny.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

apple posted:

Isn't lamp of fire without elementals just a worse fire proc from rod of clouds?

Apparently the fire spouts do impact damage when they get fired, but it's so minor and unreliable to not be worth mentioning.

If the number of fire spouts got multiplied significantly, like x4 (so 4~ shots at low evo and 12~ at max) I could see maybe using it as a burst damage tool, but right now I can't see why you would want to ever use a lamp.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

code:
1513773 Hork the Axe Maniac (level 27, 273/273 HPs)
             Began as a Hill Orc Fighter on May 21, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Okawaru.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on May 28, 2016!

The game lasted 11:26:06 (92416 turns).

Hork the Axe Maniac (Hill Orc Fighter)             Turns: 92416, Time: 11:26:06

Health: 273/273    AC: 43    Str: 31    XL:     27
Magic:  26/26      EV: 24    Int: 16    God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   5792       SH: 25    Dex: 18    Spells: 0 memorised, 26 levels left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis +    F - +4 war axe {freeze, rF++ rN+ MR- Str+3}
rCold  + + .      Gourm    .    I - +10 scale mail "Xepugid" {+Inv MR++}
rNeg   + . .      Faith    .    j - +4 shield "Ytukloch" {rPois rF+ Int+6}
rPois  +          Spirit   .    H - +5 helmet "Hinkus" {rElec rC+ Dex+3}
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    u - +2 cloak {MR+}
rCorr  .          Reflect  +    U - +2 pair of gloves {Str+3}
SustAt .          Harm     .    h - +2 pair of boots {run}
MR     +++++      Rnd*Rage +    i - amulet "Suaxiose" {Reflect rElec MR+ Int+2 SH+4}
Stlth  ..........               M - ring of see invisible
                                s - ring of protection from cold

@: very slightly contaminated, hasted, very quick, almost entirely resistant to
hostile enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: berserk 2, blurry vision 1, clumsy 1, low mp 1, screaming 1, MP-powered wands
a: Heroism, Finesse, Renounce Religion, Evoke Invisibility
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: decaying, serpentine, silver
Beat the game for the first time. I made some dumb mistakes but a melee build with a melee-focused race is extremely forgiving.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Well, that was unexpected! Pretty sure Golden Dragon simulacra aren't supposed to use that tile.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
Edit: Nevermind, apparently counting is not my strong point this morning. Mutations!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Any suggestions for an eventual dragonform draconian? I'm mostly having issues with god choice. I mean, Makhleb or Chei seem the safest as usual, but I'm kinda bored of them and would rather try something different.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Maxmaps posted:

god choice

quote:

bored
Xom.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Maxmaps posted:

Any suggestions for an eventual dragonform draconian? I'm mostly having issues with god choice. I mean, Makhleb or Chei seem the safest as usual, but I'm kinda bored of them and would rather try something different.

Ru, Fedhas, maybe Hepliaqlkana? Start Tm and just hope to find the spell - it's definitely not worth taking Sif Muna.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hey, now that we've gotten rid of drowning death can we drop paralysis too? Those deaths are always super disappointing.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Maxmaps posted:

Oka is the most common choice for unarmed dudes like Tm. Doesn't really solve the "bored" problem though.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
I've come back to crawl after taking a break for a few versions and have been thinking about the mutation system. How about if it was changed so that the mutations inflicted are temporary unless the source is killed within a certain number of turns, otherwise they become permanent? This should still be more interesting than the old system hoping you find a source of resist mutation, or the current one in which you hope to have found enough cure mutation pots.

I imagine something like this has already been suggested and rejected, but I was wondering if there were any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
RIP Decks of Wonders (and Helix cards and Focus cards)

Who remembers when those were gift-able by Nemelex (and you could skew the odds towards him doing so via sacrificing the right type of item) and contained stuff like experience cards that gave you EXP and an experience level, cards that opened up portals to labyrinths/ice caves/bazaars, and all sorts of other permanent benefits?

• Locked thread