Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

There's no better time to start than the present! Banjo-Kazooie is an amazing game, and even Tooie is alright despite the bloat.

Sadly I don't have the required console to play it on :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Banjo Kazooie and Tooie and DK64 are all awful .

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w72kj20YNA0

I don't know why British developers loved isometric graphics so much but I'm glad Super Mario 64 came out and made them realize how bad an idea that was for a platformer.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

In Training posted:

Hey! you take that back. Only DK64 was awful.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Nate RFB posted:

Playing Bastion for the first time and I have to say that while I liked the narration at first I really kind of want him to just shut up at this point. It's just, I don't know, trying way too hard.

You sound salty that you didn't get the Play of the Game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Prop Wash posted:

Until now I thought Lilian Jackson Braun had a complete monopoly on the cat mystery concept, do you think she sends anonymous death threats to people who step in on her turf

also lol "bestselling author of Arsenic and Old Books yeah we get it, we get the joke

that name pisses me off because it's not even a pun. replacing a word with books is not clever

OF MICE AND BOOKS

ROMEO AND BOOKS

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Nate RFB posted:

Playing Bastion for the first time and I have to say that while I liked the narration at first I really kind of want him to just shut up at this point. It's just, I don't know, trying way too hard.

It's different strokes, Bastion's narration is a really great aspect of its design, but I will say that the narration never really lets up. If Logan Cunningham's incredible voice does not delight you, you'll probably not like the rest of the game. Although, you do get all the most fun weapons in the middle-to-late game.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I saw on Twitter a few days ago an info graphic listing the development costs of Mighty No 9 compared to other games. (I remember Overwatch being in there.) Can anyone help me out and find me that image?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Apparently the $150 Xbox One controller has QC problems. Any of you dudes know anything about it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gzj0f9SrBs

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://giant.gfycat.com/SorrowfulFriendlyAmurratsnake.webm

If the animations looking like the dudes are throwing themselves over the railings like bad actors in a b-movie is intentional then Mirror's Edge 2 is brilliant. If not, lol.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's different strokes, Bastion's narration is a really great aspect of its design, but I will say that the narration never really lets up. If Logan Cunningham's incredible voice does not delight you, you'll probably not like the rest of the game. Although, you do get all the most fun weapons in the middle-to-late game.
The voicework is fine it's just like does he have to chime in on every god drat thing that happens. Like I was grinding in Who Knows Where, I already know the kid's sob story, you don't need to tell it to me every time.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Guy Mann posted:

If the animations looking like the dudes are throwing themselves over the railings like bad actors in a b-movie is intentional then Mirror's Edge 2 is brilliant. If not, lol.

Given how po-faced the rest of the game seems, it's probably not.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nate RFB posted:

Wrong.

In Training posted:

Wronger. (Though DK64 is indeed bad)

Guy Mann posted:

mo-capping is the worst thing in video games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

This but every single Rare game

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I don't know it may be intentional, this is the game where the slimy corporate suit main villain's design was based off of EA's current CEO after all.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 29, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mordja posted:

Given how po-faced the rest of the game seems, it's probably not.

Hopefully it's moddable so you can at least add a slide whistle, Howie Long scream, and/or cutaway to a dummy being dropped off of a building each time.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sakurazuka posted:

*barrels into this post with a thunderfist*

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Actually I lied, Snake, Rattle & Roll and Pinbot were good

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sakurazuka posted:

Sniped, but post-Battletoads it seems most of what they made was games that didn't age well, but were looked up to at the time. Except the Kinect poo poo, that didn't age well AND nobody respected it

And of course they were both popular and sloppily programmed, so they've made a lot of speedrun games. I still can't stand to watch a Banjo/DK64 run cause it's so loving grueling

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Dr Cheeto posted:

Apparently the $150 Xbox One controller has QC problems. Any of you dudes know anything about it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gzj0f9SrBs

Doesn't this have the same quality parts as the normal controller making this not surprising

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I thought Tooie was actually pretty good, its extensive moveset and interconnected levels gave it an odd puzzle-y metroid-y feel that really hasn't been replicated.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Some Rare games were really good in their time but in others you can kind of see beginnings of the modern grindy collectathon. I never finished Jet Force Gemini because of that stupid thing where you have to find all the koala bears to reach the second half of the game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CrashCat posted:

Sniped, but post-Battletoads it seems most of what they made was games that didn't age well, but were looked up to at the time. Except the Kinect poo poo, that didn't age well AND nobody respected it

And of course they were both popular and sloppily programmed, so they've made a lot of speedrun games. I still can't stand to watch a Banjo/DK64 run cause it's so loving grueling

Someone who doesn't consider the first 2 Donkey Kong Countries some of the best games ever made is a person I can't imagine actually existing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i don't like the way special moves are implemented in Banjo. i want to be able to do all my bear and bird techniques anytime instead of just when there is the appropriate pad on the ground. otherwise i like the games.

Mr E posted:

Doesn't this have the same quality parts as the normal controller making this not surprising

yeah its just a case mod with magnetized swappables. internals are identical

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lurdiak posted:

Someone who doesn't consider the first 2 Donkey Kong Countries some of the best games ever made is a person I can't imagine actually existing.

They were okay but I loath pre-rendered sprites and the mushy imprecise feel they give everything.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I like how as the series went on they started giving Kazooie long eyelashes and half-lidded eyes just so you were absolutely sure that she was a girl bird.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I like the latter two SNES DKC games best tbh

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/736686755139719168

:unsmith:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
DKC2 was the poo poo. Nothing felt better than collecting every goddamn DK coin and being number one on the spot.

Plus sending K Roll back into the depths of hell was great (even though he escaped, yet again)

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

I really really liked Bastion, and I don't think I'm alone with that -- oddly enough, I did get slightly annoyed with the VO in the beginning before realizing that "look play this fuckin badass cool looking game that plays great while this old dude spins you a yarn the entire time about what's happening" was the whole thing.

Then I remember deciding that the writing for the VO was worth listening to while you played. It's "about" storytelling in a way that's probably more common now than it was in 2011; I get that this isn't some deep mystery, but, yeah. It is a thing.

My whole thing is, Bastion would be a drat fine game if you just muted it and listened to music... I'm curious what people think of a comparison to Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, which has a very similar voiceover scheme and is also a really good game.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 29, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Jon Do posted:

My whole thing is, Bastion would be a drat fine game if you just muted it and listened to music... I'm curious what people think of a comparison to Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, which has a very similar voiceover scheme and is also a really good game.
This didn't bother me in Bastion but it definitely fits Gunslinger more because it goes for a historical narrative that you know from movies and books so it rings the bells that you're familiar with.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Why do all CRPGs think it's really cool to not let you have infinite inventory space and make you spend accumulated hours putting things in and out of storage.

I never once thought while playing Chrono Trigger as a kid "this'd be way better if Crono started complaining about holding too many potions"

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Because limitations are a core component of games of any form and people genuinely enjoy making decisions about how to manage those limitations?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No one actually likes inventory management

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Some types of games are a lot more interesting when you have to decide what to bring with you and what to leave behind. Like in Stardew Valley my rather small inventory was full and I found a geode, so I had to determine whether it was worth trashing a small stack of plants that had definite value in place of carrying the geode that might have more value.

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't like inventory management

please don't generalize, tia

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Some games made you make tough choices about what you take with you once, and people got the wrong idea I guess? Plus a lot of crpg players quietly enjoy tedium because it gives them a slightly inflated sense of accomplishment for an utterly meaningless task. For a good example reference Fallout 4 survival mode, where people love that fast travel is disabled and you have to occasionally interact with a bed and make the screen go dark or you get a penalty.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Sakurazuka posted:

RE4 says hi.

edit: :hfive:

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 29, 2016

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Sakurazuka posted:

Resident Evil 4.

e: ^^:monocle:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Apart from Resi 4 I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
There's games where it definitely makes sense as a mechanic, like survival sims and certain types of horror game, where the point is like opportunity cost and having to choose between a healing item or another clip. At that point you're basically picking what kind of difficulty you want, letting the player tailor for a certain playstyle or to roleplay a certain type of character, etc.

In most games it's just annoying. Usually in RPGs it feels like a technical limitation or a thing that exists because ancient editions of D&D were very uptight about the concept of encumbrance, rather than because anybody considered what it added to the experience.

• Locked thread