Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
It's nice to see that they are finally getting into the base game. Unfortunately, they're using the terrible Sector Imperalis designs. Are they floors? Are they walls? Nobody knows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So I tried out that Distress Crackle Rock Candy paint for ice effects on my bases for Frostgrave. Here's the result.

Some random thoughts on it:

This is just a normal lipped base. I'm not sure how it would work on bases that aren't lipped, since the goo will kind of spread out.

I need to tweak the wash so it's not as deep a blue. More of a turquoise would be ideal.

Before applying the Distress goo, I painted the base a sky blue. I think next time a pale grey might be better.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Geisladisk posted:

Painted this 'lil dude up last night. He's a Warmachine Idrian Skirmisher. I like his color scheme - Lots of earthy browns, because he's a guerilla fighter from the desert, but his red and black skirt ties him into the color scheme of the rest of my army. Also, it turns out that he's wearing poofy pants which are stuffed into his boots, and his knees are not bare like I thought when I started painting him. So now he's wearing weird flesh colored pants, I guess.

I feel like my painting is improving pretty rapidly, especially when I take my time. I'm still not satisfied, but it's nice to see some obvious progress. I've yet to work up the guts to paint eyes, but I'm getting there.

I like him.

I didn't notice the fleshpants until you said anything. If it bothers you then hit them with another, slightly darker wash.

I don't always bother painting eyes on my troopers. It's not really noticeable on the table. Characters and solos get a little more effort, depending on the sculpt.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
About 15 or so years ago I was into painting Warhammer figures, but I wasn't great at it. Mostly drybrushing stuff, and while it was certainly fine for playing on the table, I never truly looked at it with any pride. Last year I picked up a paint brush for the first time since then, and had a go at some of the Imperial Assault miniatures (mostly thanks to watching some of the Sorastro series on Youtube). They turned out well enough that a friend of mine asked if I'd be interested in painting up a couple Space Wolves figures. He wants them as close to the picture on the packaging, so I didn't have a lot of room to get creative, but I figure that's actually a good thing since this is the first time I've painted for someone other than myself.

First up is Ulrik The Slayer:

I don't have a good camera or a light box, so I was fiddling with the settings, apologies for the image qualities. Overall I'm really happy with how it turned out. I did most of the painting prior to assembling, and the only part where that was an issue was on the cloak because it comes in two parts, which is a horrible design decision on GW's part, but whatever. I was going to do a bit more to highlight the stitching on the inside of the cloak, but I had already spent far far far too many hours on this model considering that I was only charging 20 bucks. Still, it's on the best paint jobs I've ever done and while I'm sure I could have gotten away with doing a much more basic job, my friend was floored with how nice the final product turned out.

I'm hoping to get started on the next model, Wolf Lord Krom, sometime this week.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Does anyone have good examples/inspiration for jungle bases? I'm starting to plan out how I want to do my bases for my Kukulkani, but they aren't coming together like I'd hoped. The theme is "Mad Max-style wasteland being rapidly terraformed into jungle", so I've got lots of skulls/corpses, mechanical junk, brass etch foliage, and static grass. The foliage is my biggest issue, since I want it to look appropriately jungley while avoiding the dreaded "I just glued some aquarium plants to my bases" look.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I think the best way to avoid them looking like aquarium plants is to give them a subtle coat of paint. Even a couple washes on the center of the leaves/stem and light drybrush should be enough.

For inspiration, find a Buffalo Chicken post and click the question mark.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I believe you can get to scale leaves made from treated seed husks or something. Get some of those and some wire of your choice, almost instant vines on the floor. Also consider the green Citadel texture paint. I know it's more expensive than sand etc, but the scale of the beads is spot on for ground texture..

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Well, I already have brass etch foliage as mentioned, which is a much better scale than most aquarium plants. So far, the hard part is in putting it all together in a way that a) looks natural, and b) doesn't spill way out over the edges.

Sadly, most of BuffaloChicken's old Catachan pics appear to have vanished.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Avenging Dentist posted:

Does anyone have good examples/inspiration for jungle bases? I'm starting to plan out how I want to do my bases for my Kukulkani, but they aren't coming together like I'd hoped. The theme is "Mad Max-style wasteland being rapidly terraformed into jungle", so I've got lots of skulls/corpses, mechanical junk, brass etch foliage, and static grass. The foliage is my biggest issue, since I want it to look appropriately jungley while avoiding the dreaded "I just glued some aquarium plants to my bases" look.

Wash them and dullcote them to take the shine off. If you're really keen you could pick out some details like the stems or add some browned/yellowed edges to them maybe?

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I did a quick post on moving my citadel paints into better bottles if anyone has thought of doing it before:

http://lethemonster.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/reviving-and-repotting.html

verdict is two thumbs up, covered in paint.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Lethemonster posted:

I did a quick post on moving my citadel paints into better bottles if anyone has thought of doing it before:

http://lethemonster.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/reviving-and-repotting.html

verdict is two thumbs up, covered in paint.

How important is it to use distilled water instead of tap

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

Big McHuge posted:

About 15 or so years ago I was into painting Warhammer figures, but I wasn't great at it. Mostly drybrushing stuff, and while it was certainly fine for playing on the table, I never truly looked at it with any pride. Last year I picked up a paint brush for the first time since then, and had a go at some of the Imperial Assault miniatures (mostly thanks to watching some of the Sorastro series on Youtube). They turned out well enough that a friend of mine asked if I'd be interested in painting up a couple Space Wolves figures. He wants them as close to the picture on the packaging, so I didn't have a lot of room to get creative, but I figure that's actually a good thing since this is the first time I've painted for someone other than myself.

First up is Ulrik The Slayer:

I don't have a good camera or a light box, so I was fiddling with the settings, apologies for the image qualities. Overall I'm really happy with how it turned out. I did most of the painting prior to assembling, and the only part where that was an issue was on the cloak because it comes in two parts, which is a horrible design decision on GW's part, but whatever. I was going to do a bit more to highlight the stitching on the inside of the cloak, but I had already spent far far far too many hours on this model considering that I was only charging 20 bucks. Still, it's on the best paint jobs I've ever done and while I'm sure I could have gotten away with doing a much more basic job, my friend was floored with how nice the final product turned out.

I'm hoping to get started on the next model, Wolf Lord Krom, sometime this week.

For $20 the dude got a bargain. That's a nice job, and real neat

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

signalnoise posted:

How important is it to use distilled water instead of tap

I'd imagine that depends on your local tap.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm painting noted chill pilot with the callsign "Wampa"

Messed up on the pink background splash. I originally had it more textured with moist but not throughly diluted paint, and then I started blending the lighter pink and off-white on top by accident. Woops.

Earlier shot:

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 29, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Lethemonster posted:

Where'd you get the dropper bottles?

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I bought these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MNBO2HQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Citadel pots are 12ml and P3 ones 17ml so I went for the 20ml ones.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I enjoy reading your blog, Le monster. I liked the posts about airbrushing since I'm getting into it soon.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

GoodBee posted:

I'd imagine that depends on your local tap.

Yeah, water nerd here, certain areas have more trace metals and minerals in the tap water that might interact with various pigments. I've never had it happen, but a friend on Salt Spring Island used his sulfur-rich well water to paint some minis, which now smell faintly like eggs.

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm painting noted chill pilot with the callsign "Wampa"

If I were an imperial pilot, he'd be my go-to guy for where to find space weed.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Crying into my Charadon Granite to get it to reconstitute into a usable paint

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Finished up a Bloodbowl team for a customer.

I've no idea what company made the Lizardmen here, but their quality is...not so great. A bunch of flash and hard chunks of pewter, with some things not being fully cast at all. Some details are soft where they don't need to be, and the scales are pretty ugly. I'm happy with the overall finished product, but it wasn't an enjoyable experience.

I also got a semi-new camera off a fellow goon, and the quality is much better than my old camera. I need to futz around with my lights to get rid of the harsher shadows, possibly getting a third light to shine from above.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
Once upon a time I painted 3000 pts of space marines, then glued on basing material. Is there a relatively easy way to paint all that without having to be careful? Usually I prime my models with the bases down already then paint all together. This seems like it is going to suck and I'm going to get basecoat brown all over everybody. Maybe there are no shortcuts here. Everything I can think of (remove models, paint, re-glue/mask everything/just leave unpainted) has serious drawbacks...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Lethemonster, thanks again for the color list you used on your screamers! I applied them to a Hydra for this month's Oath thread and I'm super happy with how it's coming along. (I'll cross-post when he's done.) It's also going to see use on Cold Ones and Corsair cloaks, which contrasts and complements my my usually drab and natural-ish color schemes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Is finecast safe to paint strip?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I've started rebottling my new Citadel paints and it really does highlight how little paint you get

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Painted two more Guild Ball minis this weekend. Tower of the Masons (who is, amusingly, a literal Mason) and the mercenary Decimate.

I'm pretty happy with these two overall, though each has bits that didn't come out well. Decimate's leather boots/gloves/mantle didn't work with the ink wash I gave them, so I might redo that. Tower meanwhile I like how his skin came out, but I'm a bit dissatisfied with his face, but I know I'm being overly critical of myself.

Of course, the merciless camera reveals so many tiny flaws. :v:

My team is coming along. I'm only missing three or four players and two of those haven't arrived yet.

Tempted to redo some of the others though. I've grown disatisfied with the blue on everyone before Tower. Even basic two-color highlighting looks better than the wash the others have.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

signalnoise posted:

I've started rebottling my new Citadel paints and it really does highlight how little paint you get

Honestly I'm doubting that you even get 12ml and wonder if they've gotten away with just saying the pots are 12ml but the contents aren't.

Depotting a P3 paint fills up my dropper bottle but a full citadel paint goes up to half, less if its any that dried a bit.

I've started putting a ball bearing in every bottle that has a new citadel paint in because they separate like hell. My Rakarth flesh started separating after a couple of hours in its new dropper home.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Lethemonster posted:

Honestly I'm doubting that you even get 12ml and wonder if they've gotten away with just saying the pots are 12ml but the contents aren't.

Yeah I've seen it pointed out before that the pots are 12ml but the paint content is about 10ml. I should measure it, I have a bunch of empty Citadel pots from my dropper bottle swaps.

Also, you don't mention using stainless steel ball bearings, so I hope you did that, don't want your paints ruined from rust.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Picking up an old Mordheim Undead warband, need to paint about 10 zombies, a necromancer, a vampire and some wolves. I have no paints, so need some good color and brand recommendations, I am fine with paying for Citadel paints, but not opposed to Vallejo if they are of equal quality(seems they are).

I watched Sorastro's Zombie painting tutorial, so I think i will be using his awesome Army Painter quickshade method, and finishing all my models with the Testor's Dullcote. Im really just looking for a nice starter set of paints for the dark dank city of Mordheim.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

always be closing posted:

Picking up an old Mordheim Undead warband, need to paint about 10 zombies, a necromancer, a vampire and some wolves. I have no paints, so need some good color and brand recommendations, I am fine with paying for Citadel paints, but not opposed to Vallejo if they are of equal quality(seems they are).

I watched Sorastro's Zombie painting tutorial, so I think i will be using his awesome Army Painter quickshade method, and finishing all my models with the Testor's Dullcote. Im really just looking for a nice starter set of paints for the dark dank city of Mordheim.

I'm more of a fan of Reaper's paints (not least of which because I got a ton of them in a trade), so if you can get access to them I recommend looking over their triad selection. Off the bat, Vampiric Skintone, Undead Skin, and Dark Elf Skin triads would work well for zombies. Starting off with the darker colors, you can drybrush the other two over them and then finish off with the quickshade to get a set of models done very quickly, and with minimal skill investment.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Asking for advice here. Should I use green or another color to fill in the B11 at the bottom? I'm thinking something like cubism just to fill the inside and make the B11 more defined. I'm thinking of blending in the opposite direction, so the dark to light in corners opposite to the red one.

What color would be best for the eyes? Should I make it more black? The brown looks a bit goofy but that might be due to making it too large, but my consideration there is also making it look distinct from further away for game viewing purposes.

Add yellow somewhere to the blue or just highlight the blue? I haven't finished filling in the basecoat yet since I'm undecided about adding yellow in between the ice fragments.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

always be closing posted:

Citadel, P3, Vallejo and Reaper are all good paints. There are probably a couple more nice brands I'm forgetting too.

If I were starting buying paints from scratch, I'd probably go with paints that come in dropper bottles. What I actually do is buy whatever paint I think looks kind of cool.

If you're matching a tutorial, you can use the exact paints their using if you want to match. I think that would be a good way to start painting from scratch.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

GoodBee posted:

If I were starting buying paints from scratch, I'd probably go with paints that come in dropper bottles.

Yeah, after Lethemonster's tutorial I'm tempted to pick up some dropper bottles to house my grown collection of paints I'm picking up now that I'm getting back into painting.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I've got a bunch of empty dropper bottles but so far I've only repotted my P3 matte medium because it's original dropper bottle got messed up. I've also got one for plain water and one with watered down dish soap for washes.

I'm torn on a lot of my paints whether I want to repot them or just replace them with an equivalent Vallejo paint in the future.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

GoodBee posted:

I've got a bunch of empty dropper bottles but so far I've only repotted my P3 matte medium because it's original dropper bottle got messed up. I've also got one for plain water and one with watered down dish soap for washes.

I'm torn on a lot of my paints whether I want to repot them or just replace them with an equivalent Vallejo paint in the future.

Ive just repotted quite a few paints that I thought were dead and saved myself a nice lump of cash, as well as making them easier to use. I spent a lot less money moving them across than I would have replacing all of them, and I'm always on the side of preventing waste :P

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

GoodBee posted:

Citadel, P3, Vallejo and Reaper are all good paints. There are probably a couple more nice brands I'm forgetting too.

If I were starting buying paints from scratch, I'd probably go with paints that come in dropper bottles. What I actually do is buy whatever paint I think looks kind of cool.

If you're matching a tutorial, you can use the exact paints their using if you want to match. I think that would be a good way to start painting from scratch.

Scale75 is another option. With all the talk about Citadel not filling their bottles I figure I should mention that Scale75 fills their dropper bottles completely. As in, they are under pressure and you'll lose a few drops when you break their seal with a needle. They are so full you can't even shake them properly before you open them up, there is no room for the paint to go anywhere.

I've only tried the metallics, but they are wonderful. Has anyone tried their other colors?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

KPC_Mammon posted:

Scale75 is another option. With all the talk about Citadel not filling their bottles I figure I should mention that Scale75 fills their dropper bottles completely. As in, they are under pressure and you'll lose a few drops when you break their seal with a needle. They are so full you can't even shake them properly before you open them up, there is no room for the paint to go anywhere.

I've only tried the metallics, but they are wonderful. Has anyone tried their other colors?

The normal colours I've used (not many) are better than the metallics, which are thin and separate like crazy.

Well, the white isn't great, but what white is?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

sassassin posted:

which are thin and separate like crazy.

This is true. I have to mix whatever is on my palette whenever I load up my brush.

They look better and provide better coverage than the P3 and vallejo metallics I was using before, but I guess that isn't high praise.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

"Looking better" is really the highest praise you could give to paints.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Avenging Dentist posted:

"Looking better" is really the highest praise you could give to paints.

"Easy to use" imo.

Rainy Grey qualifies as that for me. Moonstone Alchemy and Old Copper do not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

The normal colours I've used (not many) are better than the metallics, which are thin and separate like crazy.

KPC_Mammon posted:

This is true. I have to mix whatever is on my palette whenever I load up my brush.

Weird. Mine don't separate on my palette at all. They really need a black/brown undercoat if you want them to cover properly though.
It's good paint IMO, the gold set has pretty much replaced Vallejo's Liquid Gold for me.