Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Cronenberg once described them as a "vestibule". I've always been in favor of that- in the theater, you've already seen a bunch of ads and previews for other things, it helps to have some way to shift you into the mindset of what you're watching now. Credits aren't the only way to do this but I feel like there's a difference between movies which find other ways of establishing themselves (Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc.) and movies that just kinda start.

Also,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfc_CrwiE4Y

(Edit: It seems like Cronenberg's recent movies have also abandoned credits, which is why I'm wondering if this is mostly the filmmakers' decision or if studios are actively saying "don't have credits at the start of your movie." Like, if a director really wants an opening title sequence, is it something they have to fight for?)

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

So, there's all these horror movies like Arachnophobia and Frogs and all that about killer vermin and insects and other small animals. Leeches, slugs, worms, etc etc.

But has anyone ever made a horror movie about ticks? They just seem like such natural fodder for insect horror but I've never heard of any.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

So, there's all these horror movies like Arachnophobia and Frogs and all that about killer vermin and insects and other small animals. Leeches, slugs, worms, etc etc.

But has anyone ever made a horror movie about ticks? They just seem like such natural fodder for insect horror but I've never heard of any.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ticks_(film)

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Yes. It's called Ticks and it's about ticks that grow giant because weed growers spray their plants with steroids to make them grow faster.

edit: Beaten.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Deadpool had a great opening credits sequence for getting people into the mood of the film.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Just watched Panic Room and in one scene Fincher does that thing where the camera approaches then "pushes through" an inanimate object (a stair railing) while the background remains constant. Is this a simple thing to create on film?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

socketwrencher posted:

Just watched Panic Room and in one scene Fincher does that thing where the camera approaches then "pushes through" an inanimate object (a stair railing) while the background remains constant. Is this a simple thing to create on film?

Panic Room has a bunch of cool shots like this. I can't imagine any of them were easy. But maybe. It's been awhile, so I don't remember if they just CGIed it.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Snak posted:

Panic Room has a bunch of cool shots like this. I can't imagine any of them were easy. But maybe. It's been awhile, so I don't remember if they just CGIed it.

Thanks Snak. Yeah there are a lot of interesting shots and I have no idea how they're actually put together if they're not CGied.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
They're CG.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Toebone posted:

They're CG.

Yep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdbpCc3OLgA

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Toebone posted:

They're CG.

If you watch now it's pretty dated, shoddy looking CG too.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

socketwrencher posted:

Pretty sure Fincher has one of those in most (all?) his films

https://vimeo.com/90519890

Every Scene a Painting has a pretty good analysis of Fincher's use of camera:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPAloq5MCUA

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Pretty sure Fincher has one of those in most (all?) his films

https://vimeo.com/90519890

Every Scene a Painting has a pretty good analysis of Fincher's use of camera:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPAloq5MCUA

Very cool- thanks for the vids.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I remember reading about Panic Room about a year before release and how Fincher wanted to have all of these tracks inside the walls with multiple cameras attached so they could move freely through the apartment. I guess they quickly realized how much easier CG would be. I also think Maynard from Tool was Fincher's first choice for playing the Dwight Yokam character. That movie went through a lot of changes.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

cheerfullydrab posted:

No one likes opening credits, even when people were "trained" to be used to them. Give me my movie, give it to me now.
Somebody needs to watch Goldfinger (1964).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I am sorry for my poor taste and repent of my sins against cinema. I still don't need a vestibule. There are plenty of unentertaining rooms to sit and wait in in this world already.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Maxwell Lord posted:

Cronenberg once described them as a "vestibule". I've always been in favor of that- in the theater, you've already seen a bunch of ads and previews for other things, it helps to have some way to shift you into the mindset of what you're watching now. Credits aren't the only way to do this but I feel like there's a difference between movies which find other ways of establishing themselves (Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc.) and movies that just kinda start.

Also,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfc_CrwiE4Y

(Edit: It seems like Cronenberg's recent movies have also abandoned credits, which is why I'm wondering if this is mostly the filmmakers' decision or if studios are actively saying "don't have credits at the start of your movie." Like, if a director really wants an opening title sequence, is it something they have to fight for?)

Cronenberg is not working in the studio system. His films are all independently made. He can do whatever he wants with credits. If he's dispensed with opening credits it's because he chose to.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cheerfullydrab posted:

I am sorry for my poor taste and repent of my sins against cinema. I still don't need a vestibule. There are plenty of unentertaining rooms to sit and wait in in this world already.

Here's another great opening credit sequence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqLIo7M-G7w

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 30, 2016

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

cheerfullydrab posted:

No one likes opening credits, even when people were "trained" to be used to them. Give me my movie, give it to me now.

You are wrong:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=875R8kHxzrA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBQJjqnG1iI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QML28YQBvyc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kccafOf4O6Q

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

Cronenberg is not working in the studio system. His films are all independently made. He can do whatever he wants with credits. If he's dispensed with opening credits it's because he chose to.

Maybe for his last couple but Eastern Promises was a Weinstein joint. (And it's not like independent investors never make any creative demands, they're just *less* meddling in general.)

Like right now it seems equally plausible as a style trend (in particular the Dark Knight seemed to set off a bunch of movies not even showing the title until the end, because "NOW he's the Man of Steel/John Carter of Mars/etc.") and as something that commercial wisdom says you should do.

On top of the transitory element, I do think one problem is it's making end credits sequences longer and- this is kind of a sticking point for me- you have to show the acting credits twice and the first time it's usually just the actor's names with no indication of who they played. (Though some end title sequences show you the roles or, in the case of a few of the Marvel movies, show you a related image/icon.)

Like end credits for major films are already pretty long because you have to list all the visual effects companies and all the names of the animators/renderers/etc. (which is good), and of course Marvel's flicks all have the monk's reward at the end, etc.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

A deity solemnly glides across a cloud-filled sky:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk5TNiv8lRI
Before swallowing you.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Heck yeah

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Maxwell Lord posted:

Maybe for his last couple but Eastern Promises was a Weinstein joint. (And it's not like independent investors never make any creative demands, they're just *less* meddling in general.)

Like right now it seems equally plausible as a style trend (in particular the Dark Knight seemed to set off a bunch of movies not even showing the title until the end, because "NOW he's the Man of Steel/John Carter of Mars/etc.") and as something that commercial wisdom says you should do.

On top of the transitory element, I do think one problem is it's making end credits sequences longer and- this is kind of a sticking point for me- you have to show the acting credits twice and the first time it's usually just the actor's names with no indication of who they played. (Though some end title sequences show you the roles or, in the case of a few of the Marvel movies, show you a related image/icon.)

Like end credits for major films are already pretty long because you have to list all the visual effects companies and all the names of the animators/renderers/etc. (which is good), and of course Marvel's flicks all have the monk's reward at the end, etc.

I'm telling you, he can do what he wants with credits. I've been involved in negotiating his director deal; I know what he is accustomed to. (I'm even
In the main credits of A Dangerous Method!). Eastern Promises might have been distributed by TWC in the US but they had nothing to do with producing the film.

We are focussing on Cronenberg but almost every decent indie director could have front credits if they wanted. It is not the kind of thing that producers or financiers would really care about.

therattle fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 30, 2016

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Hey, does anyone know who the voice over guy was for old grindhouse type movie trailers?

This dude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsH8Y5wpDSs

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

Hey, does anyone know who the voice over guy was for old grindhouse type movie trailers?

This dude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsH8Y5wpDSs

Victor Caroli?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0139026/

Edit: all I can find about him is Transformers poo poo, but I'm sure it's him at the start of his career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9Xb7QQeHfc

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 31, 2016

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is there an aggregator for film essays? Something that compiles film essays from the likes of The Dissolve and AV Club.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

xcore posted:

Is there an aggregator for film essays? Something that compiles film essays from the likes of The Dissolve and AV Club.

I keep tabs on the 35mm on vimeo. You get a decent amount of stuff there, but only things that would be on vimeo. Aside from that, I just follow every frame a painting, nerd writer, now you see it, and no small parts on YouTube.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

couldcareless posted:

I keep tabs on the 35mm on vimeo. You get a decent amount of stuff there, but only things that would be on vimeo. Aside from that, I just follow every frame a painting, nerd writer, now you see it, and no small parts on YouTube.

I love me some video essays and I'll definitely check out 35mm (I really need to create a Vimeo account so I can save some Favourites) but I was wondering about print essays/columns.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PriorMarcus posted:

If you watch now it's pretty dated, shoddy looking CG too.

It's not too terrible. The great thing about Fincher and CG (and I loving love his use of CG) is that his contrast dingy lighting themes usually let even old CG play pretty well. I mean you can tell it's CG, but for some reason it rarely takes me out of the story. Which also speaks to how well he uses it to tell a story.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Jurassic Park: Do they ever explain why the Triceratops was sick? Laura Dern assumes it's the lilacs, but when she inspects the pile of poo she doesn't find any, and the vet says it happens every six weeks. Does it have something to do with the sex-changing? Or the fact that the Brachisaurus is sick also?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Jurassic Park: Do they ever explain why the Triceratops was sick? Laura Dern assumes it's the lilacs, but when she inspects the pile of poo she doesn't find any, and the vet says it happens every six weeks. Does it have something to do with the sex-changing? Or the fact that the Brachisaurus is sick also?

The explanation was cut from the movie, but it's in the book. Triceratops (and the stegosaurus in the book) have a gizzard to help digest their food, so they need to swallow stones to help with grinding every 6 weeks or so. The triceratops was accidentally eating some of the poison berries when it would pick up new stones. There's a bit of a hint at it with Laura Dern picking up and looking at some of the stones.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

ninjahedgehog posted:

They cut it from the movie, but in the book, the illness is caused by eating rocks (to use as gizzard stones) that are near the lilacs.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Toebone posted:

The explanation was cut from the movie, but it's in the book. Triceratops (and the stegosaurus in the book) have a gizzard to help digest their food, so they need to swallow stones to help with grinding every 6 weeks or so. The triceratops was accidentally eating some of the poison berries when it would pick up new stones. There's a bit of a hint at it with Laura Dern picking up and looking at some of the stones.

It's also reinforcing the theme of the park not working because it cares about appearance over practicality; the lilacs are poisonous but they planted them in the park because they looked good and the dinos suffered as a result.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Guy Mann posted:

It's also reinforcing the theme of the park not working because it cares about appearance over practicality; the lilacs are poisonous but they planted them in the park because they looked good and the dinos suffered as a result.

Equating the lilacs to the dinosaurs (and the miniature elephant), also. They are not living ornaments.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but it's weird that she doesn't find any in the droppings, since THEY ARE EATING THEM. Eating them by accident shouldn't stop them from pooping them out?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Snak posted:

Yeah, but it's weird that she doesn't find any in the droppings, since THEY ARE EATING THEM. Eating them by accident shouldn't stop them from pooping them out?

They figure it out because the rocks on the ground are essentially polished, so they realize the dinosaurs are throwing them up - and the lilac berries are being thrown up alongside. So the poison still enters the dinos bodies, but the berries don't come out in their stool.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 2, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
But then why did they have to inspect Jeff Goldblums poops in a later scene?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

But then why did they have to inspect Jeff Goldblums poops in a later scene?

Sexual fetish.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

They figure it out because the rocks on the ground are essentially polished, so they realize the dinosaurs are throwing them up - and the lilac berries are being thrown up alongside. So the poison still enters the dinos bodies, but the berries don't come out in their stool.

Oh that makes perfect sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

In the book they find another poison plant near swimming pool at the resort where they hold out during the raptor attack. It is some sort of poison ivy on steroids, can kill children. They didn't just skip checking what harm plants could do to the dinosaurs, they skipped checking what harm plants could do period.