Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Hey I'm tryin to play witcher 2 after hearing 3000 ppl tell me how good 3 is

does the game pick up after flotsam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I would say it picks up during Flotsam, towards the end. Just do everything, and make sure you understand that act 2 is completely different based on your decisions in act 1 so, choose carefully.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Both versions of act 2 are rather awesome though.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Odd question, but do any of the facial hairs grow out more over time, or is it just the stock beard?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

Odd question, but do any of the facial hairs grow out more over time, or is it just the stock beard?

Anything other than clean shaven or the trim is completely static unfortunately

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do the DLC hairs have hairworks on by default? They don't look so different as the two base haircuts do with HW on and off.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

hemophilia posted:

I would say it picks up during Flotsam, towards the end. Just do everything, and make sure you understand that act 2 is completely different based on your decisions in act 1 so, choose carefully.

As in there are literally two different versions of Act 2 based on that choice, so keep a save near the end of act 1 if you really want to check out the other option if the one you picked isn't doing it for you.

I finally picked up W3 since its $50 on Steam for the game + all expansions and while I wait for the 1070 to come out what if any are the ease of use mods for Witcher 1/2? I was going to spend the next few weeks replaying the first two because while my 560Ti can run the game at a solid 30 fps at medium-low I'd rather wait to run it on ultra and get a better experience.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

pentyne posted:

As in there are literally two different versions of Act 2 based on that choice, so keep a save near the end of act 1 if you really want to check out the other option if the one you picked isn't doing it for you.

I'm about to wrap up Witcher 1 and this is good to know, since I'm jumping right into Witcher 2 after that.

Really glad for the input I got on playing the first one. I've been having quite a bit of fun, although did anybody else feel like resolving the Human-Vodyanoi conflict in Act IV was a little...subdued? My resolution was to literally ask for a token of peace from Julian(?) and the Vodyanoi priest, turn the items in to the Lady of the Lake, and presto, problem solved. It didn't really seem like there was much of a conflict. Nothing like the Scoi'atel/Order issue, at least, and most of the humans seemed more preoccupied with things like the wedding than with whatever issue was transpiring between the two groups.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 29, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Just as a heads up end of Act 1 is like right after the Kayran fight.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Accordion Man posted:

Just as a heads up end of Act 1 is like right after the Kayran fight.

Got it, I'll make a note of that.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I've never read a Witcher book or played either one of the first two games so I went into this blind, and I'm pretty sure its the best game ever made. And I'm only about 11 hours in and just mucking about in Velen. Genuinely quite interested in reading the books now too, especially if they're as character driven as this.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

pentyne posted:

I finally picked up W3 since its $50 on Steam for the game + all expansions and while I wait for the 1070 to come out what if any are the ease of use mods for Witcher 1/2? I was going to spend the next few weeks replaying the first two because while my 560Ti can run the game at a solid 30 fps at medium-low I'd rather wait to run it on ultra and get a better experience.

For Witcher 2 get the two skill points per level and zero weight mod.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Gorn Myson posted:

I've never read a Witcher book or played either one of the first two games so I went into this blind, and I'm pretty sure its the best game ever made. And I'm only about 11 hours in and just mucking about in Velen. Genuinely quite interested in reading the books now too, especially if they're as character driven as this.

Post your reactions as you progress through the Bloody Baron / Family Matters main quest line :v:

Also, if you haven't done so, visit the troll on the island just to the west of Oxenfurt. Trolls are amazing comic relief and it's a lighthearted break from Velen: Peasant Misery Simulator.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pellisworth posted:

Post your reactions as you progress through the Bloody Baron / Family Matters main quest line :v:

Also, if you haven't done so, visit the troll on the island just to the west of Oxenfurt. Trolls are amazing comic relief and it's a lighthearted break from Velen: Peasant Misery Simulator.

Also, let the troll have paint.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Gorn Myson posted:

Don't read anything other people suggest about specifics and just play the game. It's like an interactive fairy-tale adventure! Have fun.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Cor blimey, so I guess that's how these big quest lines end then? I just finished up the Baron's questline. So earlier I'd faced a choice where I was tasked by the Crones to kill that tree demon, and it begged me to free it. Initially I killed it, went back, and found out the Crones were horrible child-eating monsters. I reloaded, saved the demon instead, and the children were spared. Good on! But now, at the end of the Baron's line, by saving the children I got Anna cursed, which led to both she and the Baron dying. I feel like the game's playing this as a bad end, but I'm not so sure. Baron's probably better off, as is Anna. Tamara's got issues ten miles deep and religion will give her someplace to vent them fine. I don't think this is the "ideal" outcome for this questline, but it's surprisingly satisfying. It feels realistic. Things happened, it ended lovely, what did you expect? It's Velen.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Cor blimey, so I guess that's how these big quest lines end then? I just finished up the Baron's questline. So earlier I'd faced a choice where I was tasked by the Crones to kill that tree demon, and it begged me to free it. Initially I killed it, went back, and found out the Crones were horrible child-eating monsters. I reloaded, saved the demon instead, and the children were spared. Good on! But now, at the end of the Baron's line, by saving the children I got Anna cursed, which led to both she and the Baron dying. I feel like the game's playing this as a bad end, but I'm not so sure. Baron's probably better off, as is Anna. Tamara's got issues ten miles deep and religion will give her someplace to vent them fine. I don't think this is the "ideal" outcome for this questline, but it's surprisingly satisfying. It feels realistic. Things happened, it ended lovely, what did you expect? It's Velen.

Yup and it's one of the high points of the game. Not that there are many low points, it's consistently excellent writing throughout. But the Baron questline pulls off worldbuilding and poignant character development incredibly well.

The question of the best outcome is one of the most common discussions in this thread. There's three outcomes afaik:

Kill the tree spirit and the Crones eat the orphans, the village is spared, Anna is still insane but the Baron leaves to take her to healers and seek a cure.
Free the tree spirit and it rescues the orphans from being eaten by the Crones, but destroys the village of Downwarren who are Crone followers. Anna is cursed and Baron kills himself.
Sequence break and free the tree spirit before meeting the Crones and it rescues the orphans and destroys the village, but the Crones aren't pissed at you and Anna is not cursed.

I think a lot of goons argue that the third sequence-breaking option is the best one, assuming the tree spirit isn't a powerful evil itself.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Pellisworth posted:

Yup and it's one of the high points of the game. Not that there are many low points, it's consistently excellent writing throughout. But the Baron questline pulls off worldbuilding and poignant character development incredibly well.

The question of the best outcome is one of the most common discussions in this thread. There's three outcomes afaik:

Kill the tree spirit and the Crones eat the orphans, the village is spared, Anna is still insane but the Baron leaves to take her to healers and seek a cure.
Free the tree spirit and it rescues the orphans from being eaten by the Crones, but destroys the village of Downwarren who are Crone followers. Anna is cursed and Baron kills himself.
Sequence break and free the tree spirit before meeting the Crones and it rescues the orphans and destroys the village, but the Crones aren't pissed at you and Anna is not cursed.
I'm going into late game spoilers so don't go over it unless you beat the game but, I'd say freeing the spirit is the worse outcome because the spirit is also evil and destructive but gets away with everything unlike The Crones who get all killed by Ciri depending on the ending.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Spoilers about the ghost in the tree.

There's a book about it. The ghost in the tree is the 'mother' of the crones. A long time ago she went batshit insane, even by crone standards, so her daughters killed her and buried her body in the bog.
Since she wouldn't leave them alone even after that, they sealed her soul in the tree.

Knowing this, releasing the thing is a terrible loving idea in my opinion.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Brumaldo posted:

Spoilers about the ghost in the tree.

There's a book about it. The ghost in the tree is the 'mother' of the crones. A long time ago she went batshit insane, even by crone standards, so her daughters killed her and buried her body in the bog.
Since she wouldn't leave them alone even after that, they sealed her soul in the tree.

Knowing this, releasing the thing is a terrible loving idea in my opinion.

The book also says the Crones are benevolent and kind rulers of the land. It's quite likely it's Crone propaganda.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The book also says the Crones are benevolent and kind rulers of the land. It's quite likely it's Crone propaganda.

And the tree spirit does keep her word to Geralt and takes the orphans somewhere safe instead of just drowning them in a shallow puddle. That's a nice feather in it's cap.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I just found the cow gwent card. Missed that last time i played. 0 archer that does nothing. Seems like a good troll if this were a real game but kind of odd in a single player game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Is this the right thread to ask for quest help for the Witcher: Enhanced Edition.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Lurdiak posted:

Is this the right thread to ask for quest help for the Witcher: Enhanced Edition.

This thread is for all things Witcher. Fire away

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I got Dandelion's lute back for him but now I can't find him. I keep going back to the inn at various hours and I can't find the fucker. Does he need it or not?

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009

Supreme Allah posted:

And the tree spirit does keep her word to Geralt and takes the orphans somewhere safe instead of just drowning them in a shallow puddle. That's a nice feather in it's cap.

Yes, the tree spirit does save the 6 orphans like it promised it would. Then it goes two blocks over and razes the entire village that servers the crones to the ground. They might not be entirely innocent, but there were plenty of people in that town too. Adding another vengeful abomination into the world is probably a bad idea.

Besides, I liked taking the crones down myself

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

captain innocuous posted:

Yes, the tree spirit does save the 6 orphans like it promised it would. Then it goes two blocks over and razes the entire village that servers the crones to the ground. They might not be entirely innocent, but there were plenty of people in that town too. Adding another vengeful abomination into the world is probably a bad idea.

Besides, I liked taking the crones down myself

Those villagers were enabling & perpetuating systemic orphan-snacking and besides, you get to take the ladies down yourself either way, or most of them

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

gently caress everyone who served the crones and if I could skyrim it when you return later on, I would kill everyone at the festival for enabling them.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I sure hope I get to kill them, but I do not think this is that kind of game.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I sure hope I get to kill them, but I do not think this is that kind of game.

Boy oh boy

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

hemophilia posted:

I just found the cow gwent card. Missed that last time i played. 0 archer that does nothing. Seems like a good troll if this were a real game but kind of odd in a single player game.

See what happens when the cow goes to the discard pile.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Lurdiak posted:

never had a problem with it. You got the lute back from the girl right? He should be left of the entrance at the inn

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I have a quest that tells me to go to this shoreside ruin, a lighthouse I guess, but the drawbridge is up. Is this something that I unlock later? I tried swimming around it but nothing caught my eye.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So I have a quest that tells me to go to this shoreside ruin, a lighthouse I guess, but the drawbridge is up. Is this something that I unlock later? I tried swimming around it but nothing caught my eye.

If it is the place I am thinking of (with a place of power at the base), then there is an underwater cave near the place of power you can go into. It is not really obvious, but it is there if you look around and from it you can climb into the tower.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I killed a wyvern or something that flew at me from the Tower and then the drawbridge automatically lowered. It seemed weird.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Is the 1.20 patch dropping with blood and wine on the PC or what?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

MikeC posted:

never had a problem with it. You got the lute back from the girl right? He should be left of the entrance at the inn

I have the lute, and he's just not there. :( Can I console command him back in somehow?

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

hemophilia posted:

Dunno. Some of the stories about the patch implied it would be coming out right before the expansion launches or called it a "pre-patch," but I don't know where they were getting that. It might have been a mistranslation or forum rumors or something.

It'd be really nice if it dropped tonight since I have tomorrow off, but eh.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

hemophilia posted:

With or very slightly before (since BaW is dropping tomorrow evening EST and it's like 4 AM in Poland right now, there isn't much of an alternative is there?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The steam page for Blood and Wine says it unlocks in 19 hrs for me, I'm guessing it'll be the same the world over, so eastern Australia should get it about 8am tomorrow.
I'm guessing the patch could come with the expansion for those that pre-ordered it or separate for those that haven't.