Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwellsdemon
Nov 12, 2007
meh
Grimey Drawer
Got my first play of the game as a dead Torbjörn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Like as a decent widowmaker all it takes to shut me down is one aggressive and sneaky flanker or Winston, it doesn't matter if I can down his barrier in like two charged shots if he's right on top of me and juking around because he doesn't need to aim at all. A widow who can take on a Winston 1v1 in close range is a drat good player.

Yep. And even if the widow can get away, she'll still probably be at half health or less. Wait for her to take another shot then do it again. Winston is the complete package, baby. Go ape.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Like as a decent widowmaker all it takes to shut me down is one aggressive and sneaky flanker or Winston, it doesn't matter if I can down his barrier in like two charged shots if he's right on top of me and juking around because he doesn't need to aim at all. A widow who can take on a Winston 1v1 in close range is a drat good player.

Yeah, I've been playing since open beta and I don't mind dealing with widows. Dva does the job just fine. Fly and shield when she aims at you, unload with your canons. Worst case scenario she kills the mech and then you turn into a hard to hit headahotting machine.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
Out of desperation, I played Bastion for the first time today in the last 2 minutes of a game . We won and I got PotG. :smug:

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

but honestly, why would i play any other support when lucio exists

Afraid of Audio posted:

because mercy owns

Mercy + Lucio is cancer

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Put the shield on, drop the car wash on side points and rev up the lazer chainsaw.

And most importantly, always be hopping.
Seriously, even Tracer does not stand a chance as long as you try to keep her in front of you.
Your beam grows stronger the longer you keep it on a target. If you switch targets, it will retain it's damage (and drop off for each second it is not hitting an enemy).

Hop and kill. Hop and kill. HOP AND KILL.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 29, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Headshot 1 Shot on Tanks? Fine with me.
Headshot 1 Shot on amped Lucio? Fine with me.
Body Shot 1 Shot on everything below 200 Hp? Fine with me.
Wallhack Ulti? No problem.

0.1 Recharge damage amp rate and no between-shot cooldown in sniper mode and higher stats than a support/assassin on a ranged character who is literally NEVER in the middle of a fight? Get out of here.

The amount of 0 brain play it takes to completely annhiliate an enemy team 2 people less to push atleast 2 stations or capture 1 point with this character is beyond me how Blizzard thought it was a good idea to have a quickshot Sniper with a pathetic 0.1 sec recharge rate increased damage shots in a game where 1 single dead teammate can mean the lose of a game.

"BUT MUH U JUST HAVE TO FLANK HER" Have fun trying to move around on some maps while 5 other people try to stop you before Widowmaker sees you and legshots u instakill.
"BUT MUH GENJI" Too bad your E has 10 sec cooldown while Widow can quickfirescope you with her entire map by the time you are done respawning.
"BUT MUH WIDOWMAKER COUNTERPICK" So you say I should pick a totally unfitting character for my team`s situation, just so I can MAYBE counter an OP character while potentially losing my team other important objectives?

If you want Widowmaker to 1 shot everything in the game, I don´t mind. What I mind is a character who can take more punishment than a close quarter support and get away with it while having more damage than Pharas entire ult in 1 shot.

Either reduce her hp by 100 so there is an actual CHANCE to kill this thing or reduce her sniper mode completely and rethink your character balances Bliz.

Sincerely, a "salty no skilled scrub who cant counter pick" - Quote Widowmaker player

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Verranicus posted:

0.1 Recharge damage amp rate and no between-shot cooldown in sniper mode and higher stats than a support/assassin on a ranged character who is literally NEVER in the middle of a fight? Get out of here.

The amount of 0 brain play it takes to completely annhiliate an enemy team 2 people less to push atleast 2 stations or capture 1 point with this character is beyond me how Blizzard thought it was a good idea to have a quickshot Sniper with a pathetic 0.1 sec recharge rate increased damage shots in a game where 1 single dead teammate can mean the lose of a game.

"BUT MUH U JUST HAVE TO FLANK HER" Have fun trying to move around on some maps while 5 other people try to stop you before Widowmaker sees you and legshots u instakill.
"BUT MUH GENJI" Too bad your E has 10 sec cooldown while Widow can quickfirescope you with her entire map by the time you are done respawning.
"BUT MUH WIDOWMAKER COUNTERPICK" So you say I should pick a totally unfitting character for my team`s situation, just so I can MAYBE counter an OP character while potentially losing my team other important objectives?

If you want Widowmaker to 1 shot everything in the game, I don´t mind. What I mind is a character who can take more punishment than a close quarter support and get away with it while having more damage than Pharas entire ult in 1 shot.

Either reduce her hp by 100 so there is an actual CHANCE to kill this thing or reduce her sniper mode completely and rethink your character balances Bliz.

Sincerely, a "salty no skilled scrub who cant counter pick" - Quote Widowmaker player

Wow you sound cool.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Verranicus posted:

source your quotes

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Verranicus posted:

Team situation is that Widowmaker is being a pest, so yes a widowmaker counter is a good idea.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Wow you sound cool.

It's not the way I would've said it, but that's (mostly) what I had to say about Widowmaker anyways.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Dr. Carwash posted:

Out of desperation, I played Bastion for the first time today in the last 2 minutes of a game . We won and I got PotG. :smug:

When the other team goes all bastion at the end of a match and you still smoke them it feels really good

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I mean, after hearing your side of the story I think that widow maker player was right on the money lol.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Playing Symmetra is pretty challenging. If you can find just the right spot for the turrets she's amazing. On route 66 just around that first bend by the doorway is a sweet spot. They get blasted and don't know what's hitting them.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Somehow managed play of the game with Symmetra due to a quad-kill entirely off of laser turrets. I didn't even see a single one of the kills because it was around the other side the big train car thing at the start of Route 66.

Grammaton posted:

Playing Symmetra is pretty challenging. If you can find just the right spot for the turrets she's amazing. On route 66 just around that first bend by the doorway is a sweet spot. They get blasted and don't know what's hitting them.

e: ahahahaha

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Verranicus pastes bad posts from other forums it's what he does

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
the junk piles around the smashed train are also good for turrets.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Haha Symmetra buddy.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Here's how to effectively counter 90% of anything in the game. Get a Reinhardt. You know him, he's that big dude with the hammer. He has this magical thing called a shield, and get this, because it's really important, it stops people killing you.

I mean, seriously, when you stand behind it, 99% of all incoming projectiles are stopped dead in their tracks and not only that, but it gets even better :siren: YOU CAN SHOOT THROUGH IT :siren:

This means if you stand on one side (the side behind the Reinhardt) and they're on the other side, you can shoot them and they can't shoot you. This is a game changer.

See exhibit A and B:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCMYEsqGL_c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSuMXBHf2I8

Reinhardt is literally the only proper actual tank in the tank category in that he effectively soaks up damage for both himself and his team. The only other tank who comes close is Winston, and even he's not as good as Don Quixote here and is more of an aggressive playmaker who creates openings by pushing the enemy team back rather than pushing your team forward (like Reinhardt does)

Likewise, get a Mercy too. Resurrect is legit the most powerful ult and we probably wouldn't have won in the second video if it wasn't for her and her magical healing beam. Lucio's good, but he's no substitute for a good Mercy.

Another general point: Don't break formation. If you've got the enemy to retreat, that's good, they're no longer a threat, and you should treat them as if they're dead. Chasing them down like an idiot is a stupid move because they're running back to their team, and if you run after them, you've now got to face their team alone because you decided to lone wolf it.

tl:dr Reinhardt and Mercy win games. Except KOTH, where others may be more effective (winston and lucio)

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Grammaton posted:

Any room with a health pack is usually a good choice for Symmetra turrets.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Ddraig posted:

tl:dr Reinhardt and Mercy win games. Except KOTH, where others may be more effective (winston and lucio)

Reminds me of the "magic rectangle" image. I think I have it lying around...

On an unrelated note, this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo3z7gtix4s

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Reinhardt and Widowmaker, the only probable aimbot I've seen was a Widowmaker who headshotted like 3 people while standing inside Reinhardt. No wallhacks, couldn't see poo poo and still headshot half of our team :whitewater:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I just started playing and Reinhardt is easily my favorite. People seem to purposefully shoot at that shield. Got play of the game using his ultimate and then rushing for a quad, and soaked up like 18,000 damage total. Love this hammer guy.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Ddraig posted:

Likewise, get a Mercy too. Resurrect is legit the most powerful ult and we probably wouldn't have won in the second video if it wasn't for her and her magical healing beam. Lucio's good, but he's no substitute for a good Mercy.

Please protect Dr. Mom if there is one on your team. She will save your life if you save hers.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
I love Reinhardt. His attacks are so fun. Knock everyone on their rear end and start swinging. Charge another Reinhardt and then hammer him to death. Oh and did you know he also has a projectile attack? I've killed snipers and other dps'ers with it a few times. So satisfying. Oh and also protecting the team, yeah that's cool too.

A lot of people were complaining about this game on Gamespot's review but I feel like I've already gotten my $40 worth of fun out of it.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I just started playing and Reinhardt is easily my favorite. People seem to purposefully shoot at that shield. Got play of the game using his ultimate and then rushing for a quad, and soaked up like 18,000 damage total. Love this hammer guy.

Always shoot the shield, it goes down fast with concentrated fire.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Verranicus posted:

http://i.imgur.com/XDQB9GA.webm

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shooting the shield is good. The shield goes down quickly under sustained fire. If your entire team focuses on it then it will go down and be down for a surprisingly long time. Don't do it by yourself but if it's your entire team stopping a push wreck that fukkin' shield.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
There's literally no reason not to shoot the shield if you don't have anything better to do because ammo is unlimited.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Widowmaker is rock. Mccree is scissors. Genji, Pharah, Soldier, Reaper, and Tracer are paper. D.va is mushroom.

Rock beats scissors, scissors beats paper, and paper beats rock, that is, until Rock gets its ultimate, and then it beats paper too, and it would beat scissors, but scissors headshots it from 30 yards out.

This is what's known as... Balance.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
why is pharah on your list of widowmaker counters

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is there anything more satisfying than raising an ice wall when Reinhardt charges at you

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
People kept popping out to shoot the shield and it would break sometimes but like 5 seconds later it would be back (although with less than it had before). It was funny to me because they would ignore everyone else to fire on this big blue shield while they were getting murdered. The only big counter they used to it was someone got another Reinhardt and would charge me.

I also liked playing hook man. Little teleporting lady would try to get away but nobody can run from this hooker.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Help Im Alive posted:

Is there anything more satisfying than raising an ice wall when Reinhardt charges at you

Using the alternate one at just the right time to send him careening 50ft up in the air and off a cliff maybe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Because Pharah can shoot her with rockets, trivially escape her snipes with her boost up and use her knockback to knock widowmaker off whatever perch she's standing on, frequently to her death?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the Sym advice, guys. Main problem with the game is trying to break the mindset that I can only be one character for an entire match. Switching up my approach is needed, but first I need to purge those bad habits.

Your Computer posted:

Speaking of Reinhardt and Widowmaker, the only probable aimbot I've seen was a Widowmaker who headshotted like 3 people while standing inside Reinhardt. No wallhacks, couldn't see poo poo and still headshot half of our team :whitewater:

I keep seeing a ton of Hanzos who "randomly" fire off arrows and just happen to get headshots. poo poo's annoying - even his goddamn Ultimate seems to have a wonky hitbox. :byodood:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Countblanc posted:

what other heroes exist? those are the only ones I see in quick queue

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Countblanc posted:

Pharah can counter Widowmaker if you're able to consistently Conc boost close enough for her to not have enough time to do a reaction shot. It's very map/position specific, in my experience. You're otherwise a sitting duck midair.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Pharah isn't a counter to Widowmaker at all. On the ground maybe but Pharah has absolutely no aerial advantage and once she flies up she's effectively painted a huge target on herself and will die.

poptart_fairy posted:

I keep seeing a ton of Hanzos who "randomly" fire off arrows and just happen to get headshots. poo poo's annoying - even his goddamn Ultimate seems to have a wonky hitbox. :byodood:

Hanzo's arrows have got a hitbox the size of a mack truck so yeah this isn't surprising. Snipers who can't aim choose Hanzo because the game aims for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ImpAtom posted:

Because Pharah can shoot her with rockets, trivially escape her snipes with her boost up and use her knockback to knock widowmaker off whatever perch she's standing on, frequently to her death?

being in the air is like the worst possible thing against a widow