Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

being in the air is like the worst possible thing against a widow

Hovering in the air is the worst thing. You don't need to hover. Just boost up and knock her off the ledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Hovering in the air is the worst thing. You don't need to hover. Just boost up and knock her off the ledge.

Instead, you'll fall in a predictable trajectory that can be easily calculated by a decent Widowmaker.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
https://gfycat.com/RegularMetallicGordonsetter

https://gfycat.com/InformalAnotherBlackmamba

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

ImpAtom posted:

Because Pharah can shoot her with rockets, trivially escape her snipes with her boost up and use her knockback to knock widowmaker off whatever perch she's standing on, frequently to her death?

This is why it's futile to earnestly attempt to discuss game balance on forums.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

ImpAtom posted:

Because Pharah can shoot her with rockets, trivially escape her snipes with her boost up and use her knockback to knock widowmaker off whatever perch she's standing on, frequently to her death?

Pharah, the super shiny easy to spot out super loud hero that can't one shot Widow and gets one shot by Widow is her counter?????????????????????

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I'm assuming the scoring gives elimination credit for all forms of kill assists and that's why the KD ratio always seems high no matter how badly I'm losing?

Just had a round where I did 34% of my teams damage. :raise:

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
lol people saying widow is OP

get gud

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I like that widowmaker's assault rifle is nearly as good as soldier 76.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
finally got undying in a genji pick with 30 seconds left in a match

3 ults in one minute, they just kept coming and dying in the perfect loving sequence in overtime :eyepop:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Pharah is a legit good counter to widowmaker if you have a path to her that's not in her usual FOV. Basically as soon as you hit her once she's going to be bouncing all over the shop and will be unable to one-shot sniper you unless she's some sort of FPS ~master~

The problem is this move requires a huge amount of skill, coordination and sometimes map design for it to work in favor of the pharah

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lant posted:

Pharah, the super shiny easy to spot out super loud hero that can't one shot Widow and gets one shot by Widow is her counter?????????????????????

Shockingly there are ways to counter heroes beyond just killing them and a Widowmaker who relies on strong positioning to have good shots can in fact have her position disrupted by Pharah's incredibly strong knockback?

Also at no point did I say "Pharah is the only counter to Widowmaker, pick her or fail!!!" or something.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Hard Counters and Soft Counters
A hard counter is something that beats its counterpart even with inferior investment.
A soft counter usually beats its counterpart, but may lose with inferior investment.
We prefer not to use these terms on this wiki. They are ambiguous and there are many edge cases. For example, in ZvZ, 9 pool is usually considered a hard counter to 12 hatchery. However, if you can keep the 12 Hatchery alive, and still make the right decisions to carry the larvae advantage into a win, then obviously 9 pool was not a hard counter to 12 hatchery.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
The only time you're not going to notice Pharah screaming and yelling while firing her rocket jumps or put yourself in a situation where she can easily flank you without getting shot up by your teammates while you're Widowmaker is if you're a bad Widowmaker.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Minrad posted:

A hard counter is something that beats its counterpart even with inferior investment.
A soft counter usually beats its counterpart, but may lose with inferior investment.
We prefer not to use these terms on this wiki. They are ambiguous and there are many edge cases. For example, in ZvZ, 9 pool is usually considered a hard counter to 12 hatchery. However, if you can keep the 12 Hatchery alive, and still make the right decisions to carry the larvae advantage into a win, then obviously 9 pool was not a hard counter to 12 hatchery.

Truer words were never been spoken

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

ImpAtom posted:

Shockingly there are ways to counter heroes beyond just killing them and a Widowmaker who relies on strong positioning to have good shots can in fact have her position disrupted by Pharah's incredibly strong knockback?

Also at no point did I say "Pharah is the only counter to Widowmaker, pick her or fail!!!" or something.

You'll disrupt her position for all of the one second it takes her to grapple back to where she was I guess.

I played a whole bunch of Widow today because gently caress it, if you can't beat em join em. I was regularly on fire for most of the games and getting plenty of uptime on the wallhack. And I loving suck! Several times I would gently caress up a shot but hey I can just take another one immediately, so no problem. Genji and Tracer would only slightly lower my effectiveness because I would see them coming a mile away and just relocate. I only started doing actually lovely when the enemy team went double Widow.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Minrad posted:

A soft counter is like soft serve ice cream.

It's good.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Spanish Manlove posted:

I like that widowmaker's assault rifle is nearly as good as soldier 76.

170 to 130, it's pretty close. 76 Has a higher total damage output though because his clipizine is bigger.

Widow does have an advantage in that she doesn't have falloff though.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 30, 2016

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I don't know the numbers but 76 probably has better effective damage at mid-range due to less spread (and better falloff range?) Obviously just comparing w/ widowmaker's unscoped rifle.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

totalnewbie posted:

I don't know the numbers but 76 probably has better effective damage at range due to less spread (and better falloff range?)

WM doesn't have falloff damage, the spread is worse at farther ranges though.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
One thing that seems to be common in videos and clips of people doing really well is that they aren't being shot. They're running around (sometimes right in the middle of mayhem) shooting everyone around them but they aren't actively being attacked by anyone. I find that I am constantly being attacked by someone, so my time to live is typically very brief. I'm not sure how other people can go unattacked for long periods of time so they get the chance to use their skills.

It's the main reason I took to picking Winston and just flinging myself into the middle of the enemy team over and over again since I was going to get melted anyway. I did manage to get a few good plays out of that strategy since when he drops in he gets alot of attention which ideally means the rest of your team gets a break.

The last character I tried was Symmetra but needing to be literally right in front of an enemy to hit them with the beam resulted in getting one shotted by... everyone? It seemed any character I attacked could instakill her. I wound up scattering turrets around and popping orbs off in random directions.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
There is something wonderful about playing bastion and turning into a turret in midair as you jump somewhere and surprise the enemy team by landing ready to go right next to them and pew pew

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Dick Trauma posted:

The last character I tried was Symmetra but needing to be literally right in front of an enemy to hit them with the beam resulted in getting one shotted by... everyone? It seemed any character I attacked could instakill her. I wound up scattering turrets around and popping orbs off in random directions.

Symmetra is a support, don't try to 1v1 people.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Dick Trauma posted:

One thing that seems to be common in videos and clips of people doing really well is that they aren't being shot. They're running around (sometimes right in the middle of mayhem) shooting everyone around them but they aren't actively being attacked by anyone. I find that I am constantly being attacked by someone, so my time to live is typically very brief. I'm not sure how other people can go unattacked for long periods of time so they get the chance to use their skills.

It's the main reason I took to picking Winston and just flinging myself into the middle of the enemy team over and over again since I was going to get melted anyway. I did manage to get a few good plays out of that strategy since when he drops in he gets alot of attention which ideally means the rest of your team gets a break.

have you tried not standing directly in front of people while shooting them with the most powerful but short range gun in the game?

Lady Naga posted:

lol no you can beat almost every hero in a straight 1v1

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

If you're getting shot you're probably running out at bad opportunities or otherwise being super obvious.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

The best counter to widowmaker is to use bastion and pin down where she's positioned. Spend a few minutes climbing up stairs and sneaking up behind her undetected and then wait for her to scope and start picking off your teammates.

When you're sure she's distracted get right behind her, switch to turret mode and shoot her right in the fanny. If you can keep the crosshair on her for about 0.9 seconds, she'll drop like a rock every time.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Lady Naga posted:

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

:(

One of the main things I think about is engagement range. I get the worst results in a bad matchup of range, like I find myself at long distance with a Hanzo targeting me while I'm a mid or short range character. So with someone like McCree I try to stick to side passages so that if I run into someone it's within my best range. Whether or not it's theirs too I can't worry about.

Sometimes I get it right, and switch to a character with the proper engagement range for the current situation, like Soldier 76 when I can reach out and zap a Roadhog who is beyond hook distance.

But like someone suggested I'll just try Bastion for a while. I see alot of people play him like a turret but that seems wrong because his weaknesses are mobility and that crit spot on his back. If you don't keep moving from place to place a Hanzo or widow will pop you long range, or a Reaper will float over and waste you. I'll stick to him until I either get better or give up.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Tom Gorman posted:

The best counter to widowmaker is to use bastion and pin down where she's positioned. Spend a few minutes climbing up stairs and sneaking up behind her undetected and then wait for her to scope and start picking off your teammates.

When you're sure she's distracted get right behind her, switch to turret mode and shoot her right in the fanny. If you can keep the crosshair on her for about 0.9 seconds, she'll drop like a rock every time.

fanny means vagina

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

well where i'm from it means a butt which is where I specifically aim on all of my targets

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

If you're playing someone like Reaper, wait until the enemy has something else to focus on. If they're focusing on you it is because they are not distracted by something else, like for example a push from your team.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Lady Naga posted:

Her laser chainsaw ramps up in damage to ridiculous numbers. If you can juke she can beat out most heroes.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Szcwczuk posted:

lol people saying widow is OP

get gud

Posting poo poo like this should come with the requirement that you also must post your hours played as Widowmaker.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

The only characters with worse damage than a fully charged Symmetra are a Genji doing nothing but throwing stars, Zero Suit D.Va, Lucio, Mei's primary fire, Mercy, and Reinhardt but ok.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 30, 2016

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Luigi Thirty posted:

If Mei's melee attack did bonus damage to frozen targets she would be the greatest character in FPS history

Meilee Kills should be a thing

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I always shoot reinhardts shield when there's not much else I can hit because it will eventually break and then he's easy meat. I don't care if he gets a gold medal for it after his team loses.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Tom Gorman posted:

take one character out of the fight for minutes at a time to set up a convoluted trap while hoping that she's forgotten she can see through walls

got it

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Sharzak posted:

Meilee Kills should be a thing

:golfclap:

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

take one character out of the fight for minutes at a time to set up a convoluted trap while hoping that she's forgotten she can see through walls

got it

it totally works though!

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Posting poo poo like this should come with the requirement that you also must post your hours played as Widowmaker.

why? who gives a gently caress you can play one of the many heros that poo poo all over her or post here bitching about her it's up to you.

There you go. Do I have enough hours for my post to be invalid yet? For real all of you are bitching about a hero that can easy get hosed by things like reaper, d va, Tracer...etc.

GET GUD

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
all melee damage is the same right? with V i mean not like rein's m1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Also unlike half of the characters I just listed and more or less every other character in the game Symmetra has no means of increasing her DPS in a straight-up fight.