Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

RFC2324 posted:

In five thousand years, archaeologists will look back at this time and think the US was a warrior culture where everyone trained ceaselessly for way, only interrupted to have gay sex or a sex change.

Nah, they'll look back on us as a culture that worshiped Minions as reverent gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

SpliffClavin posted:

Don't judge me Mexican word of the Day

Looks like FSensitivity is feeling pretty sensitive about this topic.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tracula posted:

:911: Isn't that what REAL AMERICANS do every day anyways? :freep:

No, on special days we blow poo poo up.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Krispy Kareem posted:

I wonder if Facebook patriots cry when people disrespect stick flags. Like where's the cutoff?

A few years ago my brother and I were at a college football game that was the weekend of Veterans Day. There was a stick flag on every seat (50k seats) and people waved them proudly during the game but upon heading out after the game, flags covered the ground and we saw two trash cans that were overflowing with conceivably hundreds of these cheap stick flags. People were walking all over them too without giving a thought.

My very drunk brother for about 5 minutes thought this was an affront to all that is America and began to pick up dozens of these flags. After I told him they were nothing more than cheap Chinese made flags that probably cost the sweatshop 3 cents to make, he threw them all on the ground in the middle of a herd of fans and no one one seemed to give a gently caress as they walked all over these, too. We definitely didn't see any faux Facebook rage that day.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

American word of the day posted: just in case you thought Dia de los Muertos was another excuse to paint your face

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

mrmcd posted:

Personally, I think Memorial Day should take a page from the Australians and Anzac Day: All the vets and people who like that thing get up at 4am for sober dawn services, then everyone else rolls in around 10am and gets drunk and gambles all day.

That's pretty much how it is already, the people posting these memes don't celebrate Memorial Day beyond clicking the share button.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

china bot posted:

American word of the day posted: just in case you thought Dia de los Muertos was another excuse to paint your face

That's not quite as sexy as the latest Bond movie would suggest.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Are the people who post this ARE TROOPS :bahgawd: garbage ever actually veterans, or just obnoxious soldier-worshiping creeps who never served and don't actually know what soldiers go through?

Of the ones posting on my wall, two are vets and two are the children of vets. Children of vets are the worst, by the way, speaking as one myself.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Palisader posted:

Of the ones posting on my wall, two are vets and two are the children of vets. Children of vets are the worst, by the way, speaking as one myself.

My dad was a Vietnam vet in the sense that he went to Vietnam and sat in an office building in Saigon. He instilled a deep cynicism about hero-worship early on.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm a vet and I'm skipping the grilling in honor of that lady. Heading straight for the hooch.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
My grandma's husband's brother-in-law was a bombardier during WWII. That's as good as you get when you live in a country that's been (officially) neutral since 1809ish.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
My grandfather fought in WWII, and all I got was this lousy newspaper

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
Some people can survive multiple battles during a bloody war. Others can't handle the Dundee Roadway.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

china bot posted:

My grandfather fought in WWII, and all I got was this lousy newspaper

They sent him to WW2 and then sent him to Monroe? Poor bastard.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The saga continues:

The Confederate flag IS ONLY about Southern Pride, NOT RACISM! LIEberals are the REAL racists!

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Boywhiz88 posted:

My dad was a Vietnam vet in the sense that he went to Vietnam and sat in an office building in Saigon. He instilled a deep cynicism about hero-worship early on.

My grandfather was the only vet in my family who saw for real action, and he refused to discuss it. He was always proud of the military though, he even spent some time as commandant of a military school out in nowhere, NC.

My father was in the Marines for 10 years during the 80s and he came out with a healthy skepticism for the military (he threw a fit when I tried to join the Navy) and a really intense interest in WWII. Every other former military person I know is kind of HOO-RAH ARE TROOPS.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Gross Dude posted:

Some people can survive multiple battles during a bloody war. Others can't handle the Dundee Roadway.

:drat:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Desk Lamp posted:

That's pretty much how it is already, the people posting these memes don't celebrate Memorial Day beyond clicking the share button.

I'm pretty sure that's how its always been. People seem to remember some alternate reality where we spent that last Monday in May heads bowed in deep respect and not confusing the meaning behind Veterans Day, Memorial Day, and Labor Day Its the one with dead people.

The last ancestors of mine to die in uniform were killed by the U.S. Army. Can I still celebrate?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Hot take alert.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

That flag never caused controversy before! I mean, there was that one time between 1861 and 1865, but other than that...

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Hot take alert.

I'm more upset by their source using the words "drug around."

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
It always amazes me that people would even wave the Confederate flag. It's like... you fuckers lost. The south will not "rise again." It never rose in the first place. Just deal with the fact that Johnny Rebel lost a long time ago.

And to quite Dennis Miller "If the Confederate Flag is a sign of heritage than the Swastika is just a plus sign doing cartwheels."

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The saga continues:

The Confederate flag IS ONLY about Southern Pride, NOT RACISM! LIEberals are the REAL racists!

It just always blows my mind the overreaction to poo poo like this. Of course he was a dick for the damage he did but, I dunno, make him do a shitload of community service or pay a fine or whatever. But that's too rational. Lets just jump to literal murder, and of course the two proposed ideas are lynching (not racist) and dragging behind a truck (also not racist)

Tracula has a new favorite as of 04:35 on May 30, 2016

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Tracula posted:

It always amazes me that people would even wave the Confederate flag. It's like... you fuckers lost. The south will not "rise again." It never rose in the first place. Just deal with the fact that Johnny Rebel lost a long time ago.

There's a lot of old grudges sparked by the treatment of the South postwar; The confederate states were super screwed over in a lot of ways, and their economy totally ruined. They went from being a super prosperous and powerful society to an oppressed laughingstock, and Northerners since then have made the South the butt of all kinds of jokes. People cling to the flag as a symbol of cultural pride because they don't feel they have a lot else.

It's a poo poo symbol representing a time of evil, but it's what they have.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Tiggum posted:

That flag never caused controversy before! I mean, there was that one time between 1861 and 1865, but other than that...

The famous X pattern was never the flag of the Confederate States, and was in fact rejected during its constitutional convention because it resembled a set of suspenders.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Puppy Time posted:

There's a lot of old grudges sparked by the treatment of the South postwar; The confederate states were super screwed over in a lot of ways, and their economy totally ruined. They went from being a super prosperous and powerful society to an oppressed laughingstock, and Northerners since then have made the South the butt of all kinds of jokes. People cling to the flag as a symbol of cultural pride because they don't feel they have a lot else.

It's a poo poo symbol representing a time of evil, but it's what they have.

FYI most of that prosperity was built on the premise of treating human beings like literal livestock.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
So someone I know tangentially is having some kind of meltdown I guess?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I think the people sharing this are upset they can't drink and then drive on Memorial Day weekend because of the mean ol' cops.

So much wrong with this next one. It's stdh, from tumblr, and it's "poo poo I wish I overheard" from someone who's never heard six-year-olds talk before.

Somebody has a new favorite as of 06:05 on May 30, 2016

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

loving Sovereign Citizen bullshit. My favoite thing is when cops just don't play and things go really bad for them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv4dEVaVn0Q
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b8d_1413049025

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Tracula posted:

loving Sovereign Citizen bullshit. My favoite thing is when cops just don't play and things go really bad for them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv4dEVaVn0Q
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b8d_1413049025

That can't be real.

"Now you have busted my window and now you are going to detain me. You are illegally getting into my vehicle and now you have taken my [muffled as camera/phone/whatever falls to the ground]"

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Karma Monkey posted:

So someone I know tangentially is having some kind of meltdown I guess?

Imma go on a limb here and guess that one of his friends just started dating a guy who isn't him

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Garrand posted:

That can't be real.

"Now you have busted my window and now you are going to detain me. You are illegally getting into my vehicle and now you have taken my [muffled as camera/phone/whatever falls to the ground]"

These are mild compared to some of the things I've seen. Best part of the second video is that the cop totally looks like a slightly older T-1000 from Terminator 2.

Plom Bar posted:

Imma go on a limb here and guess that one of his friends just started dating a guy who isn't him

I'd wager the same. Also sympathy baiting hoping people will go all "awh, what happened" and he gets to go "no it hurts too much I can't talk about it."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Seems like his problem will sort itself out promptly.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

So, funny man with jokes is now posting naked anime people? Looks like anime dude has a hernia.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Bored posted:

So, funny man with jokes is now posting naked anime people?

Shoulda been two smooching minions.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Desk Lamp posted:

Internet activism is poo poo, full stop. This shouldn't be a surprise.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hey pal I'll have you know internet activism got Family Guy brought back from cancellation

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Why does that map of "Confederate states" include New Mexico and maybe Arizona?

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Palisader posted:

My grandfather was the only vet in my family who saw for real action, and he refused to discuss it. He was always proud of the military though, he even spent some time as commandant of a military school out in nowhere, NC.
Yeah, similar lesson here. My dad was a Marine, and once I learned what medals were (like 7 or 8 years old, probably from a video game), I started asking him about them. He made it really clear that he didn't want to talk about that poo poo. "People who won medals got people killed." Otherwise a really well-adjusted, highly-educated dude. He talks about it sometimes, but very rarely, and never in glamorous terms.

I do remember once when one of my granddads talked about Italy in WW2. He had Alzheimer's and was quite possibly drunk as poo poo, but damned if he didn't kill the gently caress out of that I-talian who collapsed his lung with a bayonet. Only time I really remember him saying anything about it. I was either entirely too young to hear this story, or exactly the right age.

Vets mostly rule. They'll teach you how to listen. Their fan club sucks balls.

AtraMorS has a new favorite as of 19:00 on Jan 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.