Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

inkjet_lakes posted:

A whole three minutes of Sabine so far, otherwise it's been all Evans & LeBlanc. Not a great deal of chemistry is there?

Not a great deal of challenge either. They drove to Blackpool for no reason, not even a £5 bet. The challenges always had some sort of "challenge" so there would be a reason to win so a bit of character comes out. This was just two polite strangers going on a road trip TV shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The only way this could have been worse was if Evans had got his cock out live on tv.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

"Oasis - loving in the bushes" during the Ariel scene. Great track, haven't heard that in ages

edit: Guardian, who hates Jeremy Clarkson more than Jeremy Clarkson hates foreigners, has this to say:

quote:

“Delirium was beginning to take hold” says Chris Evans in the voiceover, after approximately two minutes of entirely event-free footage of two people driving cars on a road.

This is so weird. It’s like a third-generation photocopy of a Top Gear Challenge film. The music is the same, the editing is the same, the entire look and feel of the whole thing is exactly the same. But it doesn’t have any jokes or stakes or knotty camaraderie or point. It’s empty calories, and now it’s finished.

I hate that this is making me miss Jeremy Clarkson.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/live/2016/may/29/top-gear-chris-evans-and-matt-leblanc-launch-new-series-live

Ola fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 29, 2016

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
wow excellent Chris, way to ruin everything cool about the last segment by being super obnoxious and shouty about how cool it was.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Twozzok posted:

Evans is more shouty than I thought he was going to be, it is awful.

I think once LeBlanc loosens up a bit he might actually be pretty good.

Matt is terrible in the studio : stilted and autocue, but I think he's very good in the filmed sections.

Why is Evans shouting all the time? Plus, he appears to be reading old scripts of Jeremy's

There's no chemistry between them at all.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

spog posted:

Tell you what: Gordon Ramsey should have been offered the presenter gig.

With Tiff Needell, plus Brian Johnson from AC/DC as a May replacement (he needs a job apparently...)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Chris Evans' voice is unlistenable. How does he have a career in radio? Or in front of a lense?

edit: that was pretty bad.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015
If someone could make a supercut of each episode with all Evans' parts removed, this might not be a total loss?

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015
Sadly the most interesting part of all that for me was the various aircraft in the background. I'm warming to LeBlanc though.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

inkjet_lakes posted:

If someone could make a supercut of each episode with all Evans' parts removed, this might not be a total loss?

It wouldn't be very long or make much sense, unfortunately.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I think if the producers forced Chris Evans to do horrible acts every week, maybe like drive a car that is completely filled with human poo poo lengthwise through England, then the audience would begin to sympathize a little with Chris' plight and win them over.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I think this twitter person speaks for everyone in the world.

https://twitter.com/keeleyjane1989/status/737015181738414080

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
New top gear was kinda-bad for the first segment, but the way they announced the stig just tanked it. It never recovered.

LeBlanc was actually not bad, but Evans is just terrible.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Linux Nazi posted:

New top gear was kinda-bad for the first segment, but the way they announced the stig just tanked it. It never recovered.

LeBlanc was actually not bad, but Evans is just terrible.

Americans are doing top gear better then top gear.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Did anyone watch extra gear? Is it decent?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Holy poo poo this is a colossal misfire. I'm only 4 minutes in but its actually quite funny how bad this is.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's glorious seeing people find out that no, the forum Brits weren't joking about Chris Evans.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It's sad seeing what they did to my favorite TV show. The new take on the interview segment is terrible, the new track even worse, all the studio stuff seems really forced, and Chris Evans is really loving annoying.

I liked the first season of top gear us more than this.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

InitialDave posted:

It's glorious seeing people find out that no, the forum Brits weren't joking about Chris Evans.

Evans' only redeeming value is that he encouraged Jeff Lynne to appear at Hyde Park in 2014 and subsequently release new material.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Sabine was in the studio for Extra Gear but didn't appear at all in (studio segments of) Top Gear :psyduck:

E; Top Gear was bad, but Extra Gear was surprisingly OK. It's got a track review of the new Atom, a feature about the new rallycross circuit, the news(!), an interview with Chris Ramsay (not Gordon) that's got some banter, a feature on Sabine's car/home and best of all there's no Chris Evans. Probably should have dropped a video from the main show and put one of these in instead.

blunt fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 30, 2016

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It's really hard to get a sense of schadenfreude from their cars being lovely when they're just given them rather than the actors picking/being proud of them.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

This is just painful to watch.

I had a cursory knowledge that Chris Evans was bad but holy poo poo.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Having never seen Evans in anything, he was not awful for the first 30 seconds and I began to really dislike him the longer the show went on.

LeBlanc was great in the films, awful in the voiceovers/studio stuff.

Sabine was incredible, is she a host or not?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I like expensive disasters so this was fantastic. Nice move not giving the drag queens or the strongman/mapkid helmets. Really helps point out how much effort is being laid into making a poo poo like Evans seem likable. Literally disregarding the basic safety so only Chris and Matt can have their 'cheeky' grin-into-dashcam-shots with big silly helmets.

I hope they run afoul of health and safety laws like they've already run afoul of the war monument-respecting laws.

What a disaster. Its like getting a hug from some maniac wearing the bloody skin suit carved off a dead relative.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Gotta say that it's amazing how obviously scripted the show is when you don't have charismatic hosts to ham up all the sections.

Hope this poo poo dies in the arse, too bad for Chris Harris getting his name associated with this fisting when his web series was so entertaining.

shadow puppet of a posted:

Its like getting a hug from some maniac wearing the bloody skin suit carved off a dead relative.

stone fucken cold

Spades fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 30, 2016

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Now watch The Grand Tour be all the stuff from old new top gear everyone liked without all the poo poo the BBC forced in like SIARPC.

Subbz
Nov 4, 2008
Watched it just to see how bad it was. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. As a brit, I think Evans is a twat anyway and this is just proof. Matt LeBlanc was suprisingely good, writing for VO and studio wasn't great, once he settles in I think he'll be pretty good.

They should honestly just do away with Evans and let LeBlanc run with it. Not watched Extra Gear yet, though.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It's hilarious what the British will call a mountain.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Toe Rag posted:

The British definition of mountain is 2,000 feet, twice the accepted minimum in much of the USA.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
LeBlanc was good. Evans was awful. How is that guy a radio host?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So everyone agrees that problem with this is Chris Evan's right, I wanted to punch him in the face from the first moment.

LeBlanc was really good in the films, the studio stuff was bad but that seems to either be the writing of the fact he isn't a stagework guy.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Toe Rag posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Sunflower

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I didn't realize there was 3300 feet of elevation change across Kansas.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
My player crashed around 10 minutes and I didn't bother to restart it.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_(CDP),_Wisconsin

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I thought it was alright and I'll keep watching. Chris Evans was pretty annoying but it was pretty good for their first go at a Top Gear Episode. Unlike most other spergs, I'm not going to compare this to the height of the other Top Gear because that is totally unfair. The other guys had over 20 seasons to build up to an amazing show, I don't expect these guys to do it in one episode and I'm not going to say "Wow, it's total poo poo, none of those guys were Clarkson, Hammon, OR may" for internet cool points.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
somebody told him to be high energy and he took it too far

i'm two minutes in and it's bad. really bad.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Having watched Extra Gear, fire Chris Evans and let Rory Reid, Chris Harris, Matt Leblanc and Sabine host it.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

logikv9 posted:

somebody told him to be high energy and he took it too far

i'm two minutes in and it's bad. really bad.

He reminds me of a camp counselor trying to get bored teenagers hyped up about knife safety. Not the worst episode of a Top Gear-branded show, but not the triumphant return they were hoping for either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Cojawfee posted:

The other guys had over 20 seasons to build up to an amazing show, I don't expect these guys to do it in one episode and I'm not going to say "Wow, it's total poo poo, none of those guys were Clarkson, Hammon, OR may" for internet cool points.

Except where he is paid like a top drawing host and has decades of experience. This isn't another Trevor Noah situation where fawning fans will give a cheap unknown 8 months of defensive apologies for being garbage. This series needs to sell internationally to survive in its high budget incarnation. The stakes are too high to pretend Evans isnt just trash at his job. Its a failure to cast the role, coupled with a failure to deliver.