Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

In my first game back playing as Bastion on King's Row I rarely died, we won, and I got the PotG. Although we didn't win much after that match I didn't do my usual dying over and over. I tried to get sneaky and pick my engagements, I used the crouch to be a little quieter while moving when I knew there were lots of flankers and I managed to be in the right spot at the right time for my team a few times. Even managed to repeatedly take out one of those players that seemed addicted to hunting me down. I changed positions regularly and used a quick shift to reload when I knew action was imminent.

The only long range positions I took with Bastion were when the enemy was close to delivering the payload and I wanted to keep breaking their Reinhardt's shield. That worked well and he was forced to run around in the open and stop protecting his team.

nice job :)

it is good fun to have a good game and do well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jimbot posted:

Symmetra definitely is bottom of the barrel tier. I've tried the tips people gave but it still doesn't do anything against people with eyes and below average reflex. Her turrets can give you an indication where people are coming from, but it's hardly any consolation for the damage they do, how long they last and how long it takes for them to refresh. Her ultimate is limited use on top of the fact that you don't build it up while you have a transporter up which is really bad design choice. Her E is busywork, simple as that. Useless to boot. Her only saving grace is her alt fire but if I wanted to spam my alt fire down a causeway I'd play Widowmaker and shot-shot everyone with hitscan rather than a slow moving orb.

I tried, guys, I really did. You may score some kills, your transporter does some good and I've had a few POTG but that was due to the fact that the team I played with were phenomenal and when you have that kind of team any hero you play as would shine. She really needs a new kit, something that's worth a support role and not a mishmash of ideas that are no good.

She's plenty good on the first point defense of certain maps. Playing her elsewhere is generally you proclaiming your team can win 5v6.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

In my first game back playing as Bastion on King's Row I rarely died, we won, and I got the PotG. Although we didn't win much after that match I didn't do my usual dying over and over. I tried to get sneaky and pick my engagements, I used the crouch to be a little quieter while moving when I knew there were lots of flankers and I managed to be in the right spot at the right time for my team a few times. Even managed to repeatedly take out one of those players that seemed addicted to hunting me down. I changed positions regularly and used a quick shift to reload when I knew action was imminent.

The only long range positions I took with Bastion were when the enemy was close to delivering the payload and I wanted to keep breaking their Reinhardt's shield. That worked well and he was forced to run around in the open and stop protecting his team.

Congrats on the win!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

fanny means vagina

In England everything means vagina.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I'm watching the "#4 ranked NA D.Va" on twitch and I've come to the conclusion that D.Va sucks

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So hacks already exist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJyeefkSDag

GG game was fun while it lasted I guess

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ddraig posted:

So hacks already exist

Well, we know it was going to happen to the point that Blizzard said cart blanche that any hacking/cheating will be met with a outright ban full stop.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I'm watching the "#4 ranked NA D.Va" on twitch and I've come to the conclusion that D.Va sucks

Yeah same. But the "fun game to carry" game with seagull

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Symmetra definitely is bottom of the barrel tier. I've tried the tips people gave but it still doesn't do anything against people with eyes and below average reflex. Her turrets can give you an indication where people are coming from, but it's hardly any consolation for the damage they do, how long they last and how long it takes for them to refresh. Her ultimate is limited use on top of the fact that you don't build it up while you have a transporter up which is really bad design choice. Her E is busywork, simple as that. Useless to boot. Her only saving grace is her alt fire but if I wanted to spam my alt fire down a causeway I'd play Widowmaker and shot-shot everyone with hitscan rather than a slow moving orb.

I tried, guys, I really did. You may score some kills, your transporter does some good and I've had a few POTG but that was due to the fact that the team I played with were phenomenal and when you have that kind of team any hero you play as would shine. She really needs a new kit, something that's worth a support role and not a mishmash of ideas that are no good.

Symmetra is a boss. You just have to play her in the right places and have the right team comp to work. As was mentioned, she's pretty much first point defense only. Your teleporter is an absolute game-changer and if your turrets are well placed and/or you microwave/orb someone, you build it super quickly. But you NEED to still have a healer and you NEED a team that actually does some front-line fighting because you're already spending 2 people on support. The result on that is really binary. If you've got scrappy front-liners who can hold them and take advantage of your turrets, your teleport will make the defense nigh-unbreakable. Otherwise they'll just shove right in and kick your non-fighty asses before you can ever use the teleport.

Context: I have a 52.5% win rate. With Symmetra it's 2/3.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
Hello just popping in to say that it's been a real joy grouping with goons and not having to face a group of awful pubbies who don't seem to grasp the concept of a payload. You have greatly enhanced my Overwatch experience. Looking forward to many more games in the future.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Ddraig posted:

So hacks already exist

Declaring a game dead because of hackers is already pretty questionable, it becomes even more laughable leveled at a game made by a company that's pretty renowned for it's anti-cheat record.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Lady Naga posted:

Declaring a game dead because of hackers is already pretty questionable, it becomes even more laughable leveled at a game made by a company that's pretty renowned for it's anti-cheat record.

I was being facetious, but are Blizzard really known for their anti-cheat stance? Starcraft was rife with cheating, as was World of Warcraft. Diablo 3 is also rife with that poo poo.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Ddraig posted:

So hacks already exist

This'll be fun with the POTG system, over performing will just get'em exposed asap.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Ddraig posted:

I was being facetious, but are Blizzard really known for their anti-cheat stance? Starcraft was rife with cheating, as was World of Warcraft. Diablo 3 is also rife with that poo poo.

From what I see they send out bans for multiboxers/hackers in WoW pretty often :shrug:

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

LordZoric posted:

Hello just popping in to say that it's been a real joy grouping with goons and not having to face a group of awful pubbies who don't seem to grasp the concept of a payload. You have greatly enhanced my Overwatch experience. Looking forward to many more games in the future.

What's the official PS4 group?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Countblanc posted:

She's plenty good on the first point defense of certain maps. Playing her elsewhere is generally you proclaiming your team can win 5v6.

Torbjorn is better: he's a proper defensive hero. As a support she's below mediocre, likewise she's mediocre at defense. Her ultimate is great but like I said you can't build up your meter if you have one up - which is really stupid. Even then, no other hero falls off the usefulness chart like she does. Every hero is relevant through the entire match, except her. Some may have dips but she falls down a drat-near straight line. It would be one thing if she could zip around the map and put these little traps in places but she runs at the speed of Mercy but without the shift to get her from hero to hero.

On paper she sounds great, as people with more optimistic posts have quoted me, but in execution she just doesn't cut it. Maybe at one point she was the best in the game and her abilities turned the tide the likes of which even a good Mercy resurrection has never seen, but as she is now, she just announces to the match that you're not playing a 5v6.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 30, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
In a game with literal wallhacks and aimbots built into the mechanics what kind of loving loser do you have to be to buy a hack for it? It seriously blows my mind.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Ddraig posted:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bli...ters+-overwatch

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
People probably don't even care about these anymore, but I'm proud of them. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVOyaq7LWXI

I got really pissed at a Reinhardt for some reason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TJFNwOqJgc

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Hopefully the fairly significant price point will keep hackers from coming back. Anyone who's played CS:GO learns to avoid ladder matches for a few weeks after it goes on sale because suddenly people are walking on the ceiling or soloing the entire enemy team as they turn a corner.

They've taken a pretty hardcore policy with cheating for OW. I hope they stick to it. The PDM they're hiring for eSports really needs to make sure that's a priority if they want to keep the game alive competitively.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I suck with Reinhardt but there's very little more satisfying than swinging your hammer and pasting a Mercy across the wall.

In another life we could have been friends, Liebling, but for now I must protect my team.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Edmond Dantes posted:

People probably don't even care about these anymore, but I'm proud of them. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVOyaq7LWXI

I got really pissed at a Reinhardt for some reason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TJFNwOqJgc

I care because I only just got around to figuring out how to record and upload gameplay and want somebody else to watch my excellent plays with my lovely wives. I know how to press Q.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hh68Il8ok8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKI6MeExOzk

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

They will probably do what they do in other Blizzard games, first strike will be a warning where they reset your progression back to 0, then next time around you get the banhammer

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Count Chocula posted:

PC only for me I'm afraid.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

EMC posted:

They will probably do what they do in other Blizzard games, first strike will be a warning where they reset your progression back to 0, then next time around you get the banhammer

Nah, they should just straight up delete your battle.net account.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
lmao if anyone actually thought there wouldn't be hacks and botting in this game.

e: not because of this game or Blizzard but because it has happened for literally every game ever made

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

EMC posted:

Nope. Overwatch cheaters will be banned outright on the first offense.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20743596231

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Count Chocula posted:

goonerwatch

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah

yeah over a decade late

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Jimbot posted:

shes pretty much a gimmick hero and her gimmick is snowballing point A on def

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
symmetra's gimmick of consistently being picked on hybrid defense maps and occasionally on offense is almost as gimmicky as reinhardt's shield gimmick and widowmaker's sniping gimmick. hell, the whole healing gimmick of lucio + mercy probably needs a balance pass while we're at it.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
So I jut got the game and I'm realizing that after over a decade of not playing PC shooters I utterly suck with the mouse and have no more reactions.

Which hero should I work on first till I shake off some rust? I've been using Pharah, D.Va, and Reaper because they seem to require less aiming ability but still so far I'm 1/10. I want to focus on one hero till I at least learn the maps.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Minrad posted:

symmetra's gimmick of consistently being picked on hybrid defense maps and occasionally on offense is almost as gimmicky as reinhardt's shield gimmick and widowmaker's sniping gimmick. hell, the whole healing gimmick of lucio + mercy probably needs a balance pass while we're at it.

In Overwatch, everything is a gimmick.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Nitramster posted:

So I jut got the game and I'm realizing that after over a decade of not playing PC shooters I utterly suck with the mouse and have no more reactions.

Which hero should I work on first till I shake off some rust? I've been using Pharah, D.Va, and Reaper because they seem to require less aiming ability but still so far I'm 1/10. I want to focus on one hero till I at least learn the maps.

Junkrat. He requires no skill. I don't mean that in a bad way, a good Junkrat will destroy you but he doesn't require precise aiming and his explody balls can bounce off walls and around corners and stuff

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

We ran into a team of 5 Bastions and a Mercy defending on Hollywood. It was intense pain and also hilarity.

We combined into Pharah, Mercy, Widowmaker, Genji, and D.Va and ended up winning, but it took a lot of careful skill rotation and managing to clean up any Bastion that was in a so-so position before pushing each point + payload, but it was a very silly game. We did all die right out of spawn though due to 3 Bastions in front of the door.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Tenzarin posted:

In Overwatch, everything is a gimmick.

Gimmickwatch

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nitramster posted:

lucio because even if you suck and never hit anything, you have a passive buff aura that either heals or speeds up any nearby teammates

support classes are always a good slow start for getting into a shooter imo because they don't need precision aiming to contribute to the team so you still feel like you're doing something

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
More play of the game nonsense but honestly, I am pretty proud of both these.

Line them up, Reinhart knocks them down.
https://gfycat.com/JauntyImpressiveIndianpalmsquirrel

And absolutely the fastest play of the game I am ever going to get.
https://gfycat.com/BelatedBountifulAnhinga

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Can Highlight Reel Intros drop from crates? I haven't seen any so far.

Important thing to remember about Zarya: While her barrier makes you invulnerable, it's only good for 200 damage. Which means that no, you can't use your shield to tank Bastion.

I got the Car Wash achievement tonight, it took two tries, both on Anubis. The first nest was set up in the health pack room just inside the gates, which didn't work because of a Winston shield. We still held them off though, and I set up another nest on the point side of the bridge. Parts of it were occasionally taken out, but finally, a Pharah walked right under and I used my M1. Then a McCree using High Noon walked under right afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Can Highlight Reel Intros drop from crates? I haven't seen any so far.

yep