Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
NJ State Police retracted the statement that the pilot was okay, they now list him as missing.

quote:

New Jersey State Police said at around 9 p.m. the pilot had been rescued and was being taken to the hospital with minor injuries, but NYPD Deputy Chief Rodney Harrison said in a news briefing a short time later that the pilot remains unaccounted for and that New Jersey State Police's report that he was rescued was "inaccurate."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SeaborneClink posted:

NJ State Police retracted the statement that the pilot was okay, they now list him as missing.

:ohdear: Then maybe it wasn't mechanical failure :(

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

SeaborneClink posted:

Yeah, he ended up not making it :(

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Enourmo posted:

Wait til Falcon Heavy starts flying and they're landing 3 per launch.

I hope after they manage a few of those they do the obvious PR thing and put the barges near enough to each other that a single shot can show all three landing, preferably at the same time.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

SpaceX landed their rocket, again. I think they've got it down.

A video sped up like 5x:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jEz03Z8azc

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

I was expecting more flying cars, but living in the future can be pretty awesome sometimes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The best part, IMO, is that it being used for mail, of all things.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

:aaaaa:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

MechJeb has really come a long way :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

EightBit posted:

MechJeb has really come a long way :v:

:ssh: You'll make Kerbal purists cry

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

The best part, IMO, is that it being used for mail, of all things.

The military did test ICBM mail delivery (worked, hideously expensive) back in the late '50s.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Party Plane Jones posted:

The military did test ICBM mail delivery (worked, hideously expensive) back in the late '50s.

The only time anyone ever found a use for the Regulus (other than as target drones).

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 29, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

wolrah posted:

I hope after they manage a few of those they do the obvious PR thing and put the barges near enough to each other that a single shot can show all three landing, preferably at the same time.

I believe the side boosters will almost always be going low and slow enough that they'll return to land. Could be mistaken though.

The center core would land far, far away from the boosters regardless; it'll drop off way later just like on the Delta IV Heavy.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
They fished the P-47 that went into the Hudson out. Looks like the pilot probably drowned.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The P-47 gives no fucks.

"Bad luck about my pilot, but Nazis used to run out of ammo trying to shoot me down. Not even the toxicity of this shitwater will keep me from being airworthy again in a month."

Fredrick
Jan 20, 2008

BRU HU HA HA HA
Wow, that is impressively intact, even for the Jug. I wonder if he tried to ditch in the Hudson because he figured that it might survive?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Fredrick posted:

Wow, that is impressively intact, even for the Jug. I wonder if he tried to ditch in the Hudson because he figured that it might survive?

Well depending on how high he was there really isn't any other option. Teterboro or Newark are your only bets on the Jersey side (even then TEB is a few miles inland), and if you fall short it's pretty much narrow residential streets.
But, armchair piloting etc.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I really want to make US Airways 1549 "We're gonna be in the Hudson" jokes but someone actually died :(

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
How cold is the Hudson right now? If this guy wasn't wearing a life preserver, or went under with the plane and got disoriented, that could easily spell the end. Looks like he made a deliberate attempt to ditch cause the blades intact and his flaps are down.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I wonder if that canopy was open before they recovered his body. If not it's a shame to think that he ditched and got stuck. I'm p sure you're supposed to partially open your door/canopy before ditching.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bob A Feet posted:

How cold is the Hudson right now? If this guy wasn't wearing a life preserver, or went under with the plane and got disoriented, that could easily spell the end. Looks like he made a deliberate attempt to ditch cause the blades intact and his flaps are down.

Those blades are most decidedly NOT intact. The engine was windmilling, at least, if not running.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Those blades are most decidedly NOT intact. The engine was windmilling, at least, if not running.

How do you figure? I only see one bent blade in the hoist picture; the others look fine. What am I missing?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The blades are probably the most easily sourced replacement part of that whole plane.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

The blades are probably the most easily sourced replacement part of that whole plane.

It's in poor taste given the circumstances, but the most easily sourced replacement part of any plane is the pilot

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Yeah they aren't feathered but they aren't bent back either. A windmilling prop on a ditching landing would make him land really hard.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Bob A Feet posted:

Yeah they aren't feathered but they aren't bent back either. A windmilling prop on a ditching landing would make him land really hard.

One of them is absolutely bent backwards. It does look remarkably intact otherwise though.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Given how intact the aircraft is, I am really curious as to why the pilot didn't make it.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

The Locator posted:

Given how intact the aircraft is, I am really curious as to why the pilot didn't make it.

Knocked unconscious on impact?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

People train specifically for getting out of upside down aircraft in water, it's very difficult. The flip can be very violent. He could've been knocked unconscious or just got confused and stuck.

Btw, I'm pretty sure the P-47 can't feather its prop.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
It can be tricky getting out of a kayak when upside down in certain situations, and that's definitely a large design focus for whitewater boats. A plane where upside down exits are a tertiary concern is going to be a clusterfuck, especially after ditching.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbixjnhpt-U

Quality isn’t great, but you can get an idea of the speed the plan hit the water at.

EvilJoven posted:

I wonder if that canopy was open before they recovered his body. If not it's a shame to think that he ditched and got stuck. I'm p sure you're supposed to partially open your door/canopy before ditching.

a witness posted:

You could see him trying to get out of the harness of whatever - whatever he was strapped to, the seatbelt or harness or whatever, but he couldn’t get out.

I also read that the canopy was open, not sure where, though.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Man that sucks. I know what it's like to have to deal with flipped sailboats and stuff and ya poo poo can get disorienting and dangerous real quick. I can't imagine flipping a plane.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
All Navy/USMC aircrew do helicopter egress training every few years for stuff like this. They have huge pseudo helicopter hulks in pools to train you for it. It's awesome if your comfortable in the water. It's terrifying if you're scared of it. I know people who've lost flight orders cause they couldnt pass it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Local NYC news here reported an eyewitness that saw the pilot struggling with the belts but it went under almost immediately.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Bob A Feet posted:

All Navy/USMC aircrew do helicopter egress training every few years for stuff like this. They have huge pseudo helicopter hulks in pools to train you for it. It's awesome if your comfortable in the water. It's terrifying if you're scared of it. I know people who've lost flight orders cause they couldnt pass it.

Do they actually do the dunking each time? The USAF only does that part once, but you have to get a refresher on the rest of the water survival training regularly. It's too expensive to maintain the dunker and the pool everywhere, or send everyone through repeatedly.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Another factor is that the Hudson' salt water. Even if the structure is undamaged, that plane's gonna take a lot of work.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Phanatic posted:

Another factor is that the Hudson' salt water. Even if the structure is undamaged, that plane's gonna take a lot of work.

depends on the tide, it is an outflowing river, after all

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

VikingSkull posted:

depends on the tide, it is an outflowing river, after all

It's brackish all the way up to the dam, 150 miles upriver. The tides keep it pretty well mixed. The peak salt concentration depends on the tide, but the whole thing is salty below Federal Dam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Godholio posted:

Do they actually do the dunking each time? The USAF only does that part once, but you have to get a refresher on the rest of the water survival training regularly. It's too expensive to maintain the dunker and the pool everywhere, or send everyone through repeatedly.

Yeah. Three evolutions, one with black out goggles, and the qual per TMS is good for three years. Or four. Id have to look. I'm about to do it again this month. It really is valuable training. Doing it all upside down can be a total mind gently caress. Not to mention you must wait until all violent motion stops before releasing your restraints. Upside down. Under water. In the dark.

There is a big push for all embarked personnel from Marine Expeditionary Units (Marines on boats) to do it as they ride on to and off of Navy ships onboard rotary wing aircraft. My last MEU however only like half the people got training due to timing and funding.

Thankfully, last rotary wing crash with passengers was off of DJ in 2014. Somehow the CH-53 floated or flipped and then floated with the cargo ramp open so everyone was able to swim out with ease. I know both of the pilots (we shared a hangar with the parent squadron) and everyone agreed it was a miracle.