Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Man, the only advice I was given was 'If you don't want scraps, trying not living in a place 3000km away from a continent' for getting into video game stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's not totally VO related but I'm playing two parts in a community theater Avenue Q. It's the first thing I've done as far as voice for public consumption so I'm all excited.

WarpedNaba posted:

Man, the only advice I was given was 'If you don't want scraps, trying not living in a place 3000km away from a continent' for getting into video game stuff.

Gonna second that so far I've mostly heard you have to be close to the studios to get anything reliably, or perhaps at all. But then I'm currently in a full time job so I'm probably not in the right place to pursue it that much.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Holy gently caress, Avenue Q? Wicked jell, buddy, I saw the official act in Auckland and it kicked enormous rear end. Pity they'll never come back.

Seconded on the full-time job angle, although it does provide me with the means to spring gifts on the missus/family every now and again.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I really should read this thread more. Missed both sunday schools.

Also, should I re-record my Summerset Hills Demo?

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Titling my next email to my email list something like "How I walked in off the street for a tour at the biggest video game audio production facility in the city" because I just did and it was the best experience I've had so far this week. This conference experience has been...magical so far.

WarpedNaba posted:

Aaaaargh this is so frustrating!! You can get your start in voice acting from *literally* anywhere with the right approach. People need to stop giving bad advice.

And yeah, I try to be pretty diplomatic, but that is flat out bad advice. I understand it, but it's bad advice.

Okay, think about it: If you're just getting into video game VO (or VO in general), you're not going to start out by working with AAA developers or major ad agencies. Heck, I'm about ten years into my VO career and I'm just getting there now. You WILL start out working with those a few steps earlier in their careers--indie developers, small businesses, students, etc. And those folks are EV-ERY-WHERE. I recorded my first video game voiceover job in South Korea--with a client in Australia, with whom I connected online. You don't have to be in NYC or LA or SF or even the US to get started in this. Blarhagrhagrh that's probably my misconception pet peeve (and why I taught that online class recently).

I could write a book on this. I'm seriously thinking about it, actually. So many people just assume they can't work in games because they don't live wherever it is they think they need to live and it's just. not. true. People need to be empowered with the right information and this isn't really where my focus is heading with my performance career really taking flight right now but dammit, SOMEONE needs to get some good information out there.

For now, it's a blog since I have plenty to soapbox about and, well, that's what blogs are for, isn't it?

dscruffy1 posted:

It's not totally VO related but I'm playing two parts in a community theater Avenue Q. It's the first thing I've done as far as voice for public consumption so I'm all excited.

Congrats!! Non-VO acting work is totally VO-related as far as I'm concerned. It's all acting, after all!! Some of the finest voice actors have their backgrounds in theatre. I come from a musical theatre background myself. Very exciting! Where do you live/where will you be performing so anyone who may be local can see it? :)

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'm active duty military in Ramstein, Germany. So if anyone is in the Kaiserslautern area, come see it at the end of May/start of June :v:

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Hi this happened today

(That's Dee Bradley Baker, he voices everything and is amazing, ahjegjwghfkwaeglwejghkj)

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Well, I'm a dope. I live in the bay area and I just missed out.
Superrrb.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

First time I've used my Yeti since Christmas

Summerset Hills Audition

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

blinkeve1826 posted:

I MET MOCKINGQUANTUM I met MockingQuantum out here at GDC and it was cool and good :3:

We totally did, and it totally was. We're besties now.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Huh. Lords of Xulima's getting a sequel. Don't suppose they're reprising roles?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

WarpedNaba posted:

Huh. Lords of Xulima's getting a sequel. Don't suppose they're reprising roles?
Are you asking me specifically?? Way, way too early to think about. They're still in the concept phase and currently working on another game.

I'll be in touch if/when it's time. I assume they'll be doing another large crowdfunding campaign first.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Oh. I was more speculating than actually asking, but that answers it!

Cheers, Joe.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Oh. I was more speculating than actually asking, but that answers it!

Cheers, Joe.
There could potentially be upcoming work for their current game being developed but I haven't heard anything as of yet.

Indie VO usually only happens when:

1. 90% of the game is already completed
2. There's anything left in the budget

If I have roles to fill (for any project), I usually contact proven talent from here first.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure, a game that I'm handling voice casting for (and had the pleasure of hiring BlinkEve & JossiRossi to voice a couple parts) just launched their KickStarter, check it out:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/777841902/gibbous-a-cthulhu-adventure

EDIT: Oh and Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=656449513

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Apr 8, 2016

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

The Joe Man posted:

Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure, a game that I'm handling voice casting for (and had the pleasure of hiring BlinkEve & JossiRossi to voice a couple parts) just launched their KickStarter, check it out:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/777841902/gibbous-a-cthulhu-adventure

EDIT: Oh and Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=656449513

The trailer sounds awesome!! This came out really well :) Congrats!!

Sorry for the delayed reply, I've been in LA these past few days literally living in a dream come true, working on my first major feature film--a scene with Matt Damon in Alexander Payne's next film, Downsizing. nbd. jk totally a big deal you guys totally know an almost super-famous person :aaaaa:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Woooooo!!!! That's awesome, blinkeve!

Hahah I'm volunteering with my local community theater group and running sound for their play. I composed a short piece of electronic music for them and created a pre-show announcement voiceover. It makes me chuckle every time I fire it off before the show starts because I got to write the text myself. Boom, more voiceover work.

For folks looking to get into voiceover work there are loads of things you can do to get practice. Go and help out at your local church, act as an MC for a charity auction or do anything else where you get to read text to people. If you can, story time at a library is fantastic.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

CuddleChunks posted:

Hahah I'm volunteering with my local community theater group and running sound for their play. I composed a short piece of electronic music for them and created a pre-show announcement voiceover. It makes me chuckle every time I fire it off before the show starts because I got to write the text myself. Boom, more voiceover work.

For folks looking to get into voiceover work there are loads of things you can do to get practice. Go and help out at your local church, act as an MC for a charity auction or do anything else where you get to read text to people. If you can, story time at a library is fantastic.

Yesssssssss that's the way to do it!! Seriously! My first few commercial VO opportunities came about when someone in my VO class wrote, produced, and shopped around some commercials he wrote himself. I'm such a huge advocate of creating your own work.

Not only that, but getting experience in other areas of the industry, even theatre, is great too. Running live sound for theatre must be really interesting! At different times for various productions in the theatre world, I produced, directed, assistant directed, cast, ran props, ran sound, ran the light board (possibly even my favorite? There was something so fun about running the board), ran the spotlight, and even stage managed. In the film/TV world, I've done some of the same (directed, produced, cast, PAed). CuddleChunks' suggestions are great ones! Just spend as much time in the world in which you want to be, or as close to it as you can, as you can. You will meet incredible people and learn a TON. "Even" community theatre. Community theatre actors can go on to be in movies with Matt Damon. ;)

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

CuddleChunks posted:

Oooh. What are you using to run sound? Qlab?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

blinkeve1826 posted:

Just spend as much time in the world in which you want to be, or as close to it as you can, as you can. You will meet incredible people and learn a TON. "Even" community theatre. Community theatre actors can go on to be in movies with Matt Damon. ;)
This over and over again. If you want to get into an industry then go find people that do that stuff and see how you can help out. I'm a lucky guy and have managed to be in the right place to do all sorts of things because I hung out with people in the industry. I haven't reached Damon-level star power yet, but thanks to this thread and places like LibriVox I've transmitted my voice all over the world. That's pretty dang neat.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Oooh. What are you using to run sound? Qlab?
http://www.jinglepalette.com/ It's a little fussy but basically exactly what I was looking for on a windows platform. I've got a goofy little Acer netbook that I haul over to the show and plug in to the sound board. I'm triggering a few sound effects for the show, the pre-show announcement and music cues to cover scene transitions. Beep boop, press butan and get sound. I've used it on the last couple shows I've done and it has worked out great. Wish I had something like this when I was doing my radio show.

Then again, I wouldn't have gotten experience cutting my own reel-to-reel tape and mixing down onto carts and other questionably useful skills in this digital world. :haw:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Hi I'm really new to the world of Voice Over and I was wondering if anyone could give me some critiques on my self produced demo? I made it more for practice than actually trying to get jobs. It's a commercial demo, because I figured I'd start in the genre that (at least appears to) have the most paid work before I branch out into things I really want to do like video game and animatioN VO. I don't know if posting it here is appropriate or if I should just PM people? Additionally I made it all on a flippin blue snowball, but Im upgrade to an XLR AT2020 so I can at least pretend to be professional.

Also any info on the audiobunny site? I see a lot of reviews on it from when it was launched in 2012 and it looks to be not well received, but its been a few years so I dont know how its changed?

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 24, 2016

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Unmature fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 25, 2022

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Ebay screwed up my order, and sent me a replacement of "Voice Actor/Voice Over," but then the original package somehow arrived? So I have an extra copy, if anyone wants to purchase it?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Has there been any talk of Voice Bunny in this thread?

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
I'm on it, but I'm never home or right about to go to bed whenever I get emails from them about work so I usually miss it.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

New trailer I voiced just launched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNeQK-ZhSkg

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

TheComicFiend posted:

I'm on it, but I'm never home or right about to go to bed whenever I get emails from them about work so I usually miss it.

Same. They haven't sent me poo poo and now suddenly send me things at 6am or midnight. I just got a notification for an audition that I could finally do but their lovely website wouldn't let me upload it for some reason even though I was the 2nd person to upload. Really considering just ignoring that site because it doesn't seem possible.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

It doesn't seem very good, same with Voice123.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The Voice Realms has been pretty good fwiw. Cheap for a p2p site and the pay is good. Havent had a ton of auditions posted though. Im basically gonna rock an account their and on Voices.com for now.

Congrats, sounds great.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
I was at a convention last year where I watched a voice actor panel and one of the panelists suggested looking for unpaid work to cut your teeth on at Voice Acting Club. Has anyone had any experience with this site?

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I was at a convention last year where I watched a voice actor panel and one of the panelists suggested looking for unpaid work to cut your teeth on at Voice Acting Club. Has anyone had any experience with this site?

I've had some back-and-forth with a few people on VAC, but haven't landed anything there. I've gotten most of my unpaid character stuff on BTVA and CastingCallClub.
A lot of it is folks (kids?) wanting to create their own fandub of something, and a smaller percentage of that is original scripts. The fandubs can go.. either way, I guess.

That being said, I landed the role of "Jack" in this thing and I'm pretty happy with it:
https://soundcloud.com/fablesradio/fables-radio-chapter-one-old-tales-revisited

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I kinda walked out on BTVA, I couldn't really find much stuff that was worth auditioning for. Got cast for over 50% of my roles, though, which buffed up my self confidence a little. Even did the fandub of the Suicide Squad movie.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

After you guys mentioned BTVA I decided to audition for a role on there and landed it! Thanks guys!

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Congrats! What'd you get?

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

An abridged/fan redub of an anime called Sword Art Online. I'll be voicing the character Klein!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

I kinda walked out on BTVA, I couldn't really find much stuff that was worth auditioning for. Got cast for over 50% of my roles, though, which buffed up my self confidence a little. Even did the fandub of the Suicide Squad movie.

fandub? Was it in a non-english language or was it some kind of rifftraxy parody type thing?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Nope, straight up re-doing the voices of the movie. I had Black Spider and Alfred.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Calling out a lurker in this very thread who took advantage of a recent opportunity I posted to my email list to snag his first (I think it's his first, anyway, but he's free to correct me) video game VO credit this weekend! Fun fact: He was the only one on a list I provided for developers participating in a game jam this weekend who hasn't yet trained/worked with me, but for a relative beginner his stuff was so impressive I had to include him. I'll let him post a bit about his experience if he wants but I just wanted to say I'm super proud of him for going for it :3:

omegaflash4
Jan 18, 2015
Oh hi it seems I was called out sorry for the late reply. Hi all I'm omegaflash4 I've been a voice actor and audio editor for four years now, but only started working at a professional capacity this year. I excel at male and female character acting and commercial work and enjoy lurking around the forums like a general creep. Thank you for your compliments and I thank you for the oppourtunity. ^-^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Pleasure.

I would thank you to keep the anime emoticons to a minimum. Otherwise, welcome abroad.