Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Genocyber posted:

Continue forwards, it's available later.

Cheers, didn't want to waste any more time with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
This game really dropped the ball by not having your weapons glow when infused. Or look different at least. This is the third and "final" one. Pull out all the stops.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Huh. Yeah, they could have pretty easily done that.

Make a damageless copy of Lightning Blade, set duration to infinite, slap it on any Lightning-infused weapon, done. Maybe make the effect more subtle.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Bonus points if it only shows up or looks stronger when you charge up a strong attack.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Blacktoll posted:

This game really dropped the ball by not having your weapons glow when infused. Or look different at least. This is the third and "final" one. Pull out all the stops.

knowing FROM they'd do something bizarre like have your weapon's elemental infusion display the correlated damage type sfx on your model (for no damage, but still) every time you attacked an enemy. then there'd be vague patch notes about how infused weapon parameters have been "influenced" and the next time you loaded the game the damage sfx would be increased 600% and cover the entire viewable area of the screen.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Bonus points if it only shows up or looks stronger when you charge up a strong attack.

That's one of the reasons why the Profaned Greatsword is my favourite UGS with the Cathedral Knight Greatsword because it's weird combo of Strike/Trust damage.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

Huh. Yeah, they could have pretty easily done that.

Make a damageless copy of Lightning Blade, set duration to infinite, slap it on any Lightning-infused weapon, done. Maybe make the effect more subtle.

I miss dark souls 2 infusions that could be buffed as well. I can't make my lothric Knight great sword with innate lightning damage and be infused with lightning and buffed with lightning blade lol.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Just had an invasion where the host was hidden somewhere, probably with the obscuring ring, while I looked around his giant-seeded world for 10 minutes before I finally got shot off the rafters by a silver knight. I tried looking everywhere but couldn't locate him no matter what. :bang:

Edit: Ran into a new thing where someone was two-handing a halberd and after he hit me, he'd transition into a spinning move that guaranteed 2 additional hits. What do I do against that? I tried parrying the initial strike but couldn't land it, and I was stunned for both the second and third hits without any time to try parrying the 4th one so I'd have no choice but to roll out of it. It chewed me up really hard.

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 29, 2016

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Cyberventurer posted:

Just had an invasion where the host was hidden somewhere, probably with the obscuring ring, while I looked around his giant-seeded world for 10 minutes before I finally got shot off the rafters by a silver knight. I tried looking everywhere but couldn't locate him no matter what. :bang:

Why they didn't have some means for the invader to track down the host, I have no idea. Sometimes it's awful even when they aren't deliberately hiding.

Sanctum posted:

Hate to be making GBS threads this thread up even more, but has anyone had frequent CTDs not related to bonfires? I tried setting the light quality to low but the game crashed again within 10 minutes. Seems like a driver issue, the screen freezes and then goes black, eventually I crash to the desktop with a message that the display adapter recovered from a crash. The game is still 'running' but non-responsive.

I haven't been able to find any solutions for DS3 crashes other than ones relating to the bonfire issue.

A friend of mine started running into this recently where previously they had no issues at all. What model of graphics card are you using and what driver version? Might be able to figure out what the root cause is.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Man I only just realized how gimped a Miracle-focused build really is in NG. I mean, you have no offensive options at all. Lightning miracles suck until NG+, and even if they didn't, you get your first one in the swamp which is a decent bit into the game, and then you basically get nothing else until endgame - sure if you know exactly how to get GLS AND are willing to do the sunbro grind and take on Dancer early, you CAN get it earlier. But in practical terms it's an enormous pain in the rear end to get at all, much less soon.

Okay, so offensive Miracles suck, but you should be using Miracles as support right? Just kill things with a weapon boosted by buffs and heals! Well, you also get not a single weapon in the game that scales even slightly decently with your chosen stat. Time for infusion...except you can't even get it until you reach Aldritch which is quite a way into the game! Lightning Blade? Same thing. Literally EVERY SINGLE source of decent damage in a Faith build is in the final third of the game.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Insurrectionist posted:

Man I only just realized how gimped a Miracle-focused build really is in NG. I mean, you have no offensive options at all. Lightning miracles suck until NG+, and even if they didn't, you get your first one in the swamp which is a decent bit into the game, and then you basically get nothing else until endgame - sure if you know exactly how to get GLS AND are willing to do the sunbro grind and take on Dancer early, you CAN get it earlier. But in practical terms it's an enormous pain in the rear end to get at all, much less soon.

Okay, so offensive Miracles suck, but you should be using Miracles as support right? Just kill things with a weapon boosted by buffs and heals! Well, you also get not a single weapon in the game that scales even slightly decently with your chosen stat. Time for infusion...except you can't even get it until you reach Aldritch which is quite a way into the game! Lightning Blade? Same thing. Literally EVERY SINGLE source of decent damage in a Faith build is in the final third of the game.

Baiting people into close range with great lightning spear then using lightning skewer when they roll in to you never gets old and lightning storm just rules. People always underestimate the range of the aoe on that.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Insurrectionist posted:

clearly you're supposed to use your RAW rear end to punish because of straight sword superiority. who cares about build diversity when the best sword in the game and the gem needed to infuse it are found 15 minutes into the first zone? :downs:

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Cyberventurer posted:

I'm **** K***ht on PS4 and this is my favorite thing to do so.

There are 4 very good hiding spots that I know.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Obligatum VII posted:

Why they didn't have some means for the invader to track down the host, I have no idea. Sometimes it's awful even when they aren't deliberately hiding.

There's actually an unfinished item in the files that, judging from the description, would of allowed invaders to track the host. I dunno why they didn't include it. The invasion points in this game are pretty lovely in a lot of areas so figuring out what part of the level the host is in can be a chore.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Internet Kraken posted:

There's actually an unfinished item in the files that, judging from the description, would of allowed invaders to track the host. I dunno why they didn't include it. The invasion points in this game are pretty lovely in a lot of areas so figuring out what part of the level the host is in can be a chore.

the invasion points are either nowhere near the host, or they're camped by the gank squad. it's amazingly elegant in its simplicity.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

double nine posted:

Is it possible to get the weapon that the undead settlement peasants use? Like in this image:

It is only available in bloodborne, where it is a starting weapon

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

This is the first time i've messed around with PVP in a souls game (after 4 games you'd think I'd tried it but welp) and I have two questions:

1) why do mobs sometimes aggro to me as a red phantom and sometimes they don't?

and

2) AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO SOLOS PVE? Christ, everyone I invade has at least two sunbros with them.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

homeless poster posted:

the invasion points are either nowhere near the host, or they're camped by the gank squad. it's amazingly elegant in its simplicity.

Weirdly, the game seems to prioritize you away from where the host is. Host is by the boss, get summoned to the spawn point near the bonfire. Host is at the bonfire, get summoned to the spawn point by the boss. Thus giving the host plenty of time to boot you/summon three phantoms. :darksouls:

Paul Zuvella posted:

This is the first time i've messed around with PVP in a souls game (after 4 games you'd think I'd tried it but welp) and I have two questions:

That means the host used a seed of giants, which allows you to be aggro'd by the enemies. Can be helpful, since it lets you lead enemies to cowardly hosts.

quote:

2) AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO SOLOS PVE? Christ, everyone I invade has at least two sunbros with them.

It's going to seem a bit lopsided if only because you're prioritized towards hosts with summons. You can invade solo hosts but it's much rarer.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Paul Zuvella posted:

and

1. There's an item called "Seed of a Tree Giant" you can get from the top of Firelink Shrine randomly. The chance to get one goes up by 10% every time you get invaded, until you get one, which then resets the chance to 50%. The item makes enemies react to invaders as if they were the host/phantom

2. Hosts are the biggest babies in this game. Never fight a host that has a phantom, because he WILL pull the internet cord once you beat his dumb rear end

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Internet Kraken posted:

This reminds me, what are the glowing orbs that look like eyes that I see floating around sometimes? They don't belong to any spell I've seen, and tend to only show up when I invade people.

Insurrectionist posted:

I wound up using a raw dragonslayer's axe anyway even after I had access to all the faith weapons and lightning infusion.

While I do agree that trying to actually complete NG with miracles kinda sucks, once you get your stuff three quarters of the way into the game, I mostly love what they've tried with miracles. A melee focused caster who can trade with unfaltering prayer and win is a build they've never had in the games so far and is really fun to play. I feel like you're supposed to use healing miracles/be more tanky to mitigate that incidental damage, but between 60 faith/30 att you just don't have enough points left to do that. And some stuff like the cast time on Wrath of the Gods is just inexplicable. Sure you can use sunlight talisman to cast it, but you'll get killed literally 100-0 in the time it takes to cast.

On the upside Archdragon Peak is like your victory lap, just a nice cruise through a sunny castle to say "congratulations for using offensive miracles".

hampig fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 30, 2016

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
It feels like there is a lot less weapon diversity among players in this game. I was invading the prison and not once, twice, but three times I ran into groups running with only fume ugs and dragonslayer swords. Also ran into two farron greatswords. Kind of a bummer. At least I just didn't run into the same bunch of curved greatsword/halberd users just spinning around to win.

Just as an aside, I really think the prison is the best invasion spot. Easy to counter groups or people using the same dumb weapons all the time. And there are plenty of enemies to unleash on the host/allies of host. Nothing as an invader is quite as satisfying as killing a host in front of there helpers. This may not really balance out the fact that so many players always seem to run around with help, but it's worked out well for me.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Beat Nameless King on my first try. This was after banging my head against King of The Storm for 2 hours, and that fight is only hard because you're basically forced into first person mode for that fight. Seriously, what were they thinking when they designed that? Such a cool fight, utterly ruined by having to fight the lovely camera instead of the boss.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

hampig posted:

This reminds me, what are the glowing orbs that look like eyes that I see floating around sometimes? They don't belong to any spell I've seen, and tend to only show up when I invade people.

when a sentinel/darkmoon is summoned to a world you're invading, that eye spawns near you and floats towards the direction of the blue phantom's spawnpoint. the blue phantom also has an eye that floats towards you.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ugh Pontiff Sulyvan is no joke as a caster either. By the time a spell's ready he is chopping me to bits. Aldrich was a bit better since i didnt need to be up close and could read his poses. Yhorm was surprising because my chaos fireballs were doing next to no damage. My bleed melee build destroyed him in seconds but this time around he flattened Siegward then me.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Paul Zuvella posted:

and

1. seed of a giant tree. google it or look it up on the wiki or blame yourself or god

2. invasion mechanics in this game intentionally try to match invaders to worlds that have hosts with friendly phantoms, all other things like SL and equipment level held constant. it's very unlikely that you'll invade a 1v1 scenario, especially at the extreme high and low ends of pvp, or in zones that have becomes "pvp zones" like lothric highwall or road of sacrifice or irithyll post pontiff, because people know how the mechanics work and purposely form gank squads to push invaders' poo poo in. best bet is to invade random zones as mound pounder so you can kill phantoms instead of hosts and still get invasion credit, or else invade with the territory covenants (if they work for you) like wolfbros/blue cops/aldrich because they tend to balance out a little better around the invader - iirc you can have 2x wolfbros/aldrich in their given area even if the host hasn't smelled his fingers.

edit:

hampig posted:

typically that's bluecops being summoned to come push your poo poo in. anecdotally, you can follow those orbs in whatever direction they're floating and you seem to have a good chance of finding the bluecop spawn point. i've managed to kill more than a fair few this way before they're even loaded in enough to react to what i'm doing.

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 30, 2016

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
So my plan before fingering/seeding/hiding after the pontiff was to run through the level and put prism stones next to every enemy and decorate the walls, etc. I had some left over so I was going to spell out "but hole" in the arena area but I didn't have enough stones so I just did "BUTT". I went back up to the balcony to look at my handiwork and thought "I thought I did a better job on the bar on that B" so I put what I had left down and my prism stones are disappearing, I have like "bl TT". Run through the level and they're all gone. It only keeps like the last 20 or so.

PS4, v 1.04, reg 1.07. Known bug?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Speaking of dried fingers, some of the absolute most fun you'll have in this game is rolling around with either Way of the Blue or a single phantom buddy and the dried fingers active as you progress through areas. You'll get a constant clusterfuck of 2v2 scenarios and it's just a lot of fun.

Also fun: finding difficult to reach spots, popping the dried finger, and then actively taunting invaders as they try to reach it. For example, that roof that has the +1 fleshbite ring in High Wall, right nearly the snakesplosion hollow, above the winged knight courtyard. I had a phantom try the jump once and then apparently get so frustrated that they crystaled out. Talk about lack of dedication. The Darkmoon that had been summoned managed the jump in one try.

homeless poster posted:

typically that's bluecops being summoned to come push your poo poo in. anecdotally, you can follow those orbs in whatever direction they're floating and you seem to have a good chance of finding the bluecop spawn point. i've managed to kill more than a fair few this way before they're even loaded in enough to react to what i'm doing.

Alternatively, the more humorous option, do the patches squat right behind where they spawn in facing to give them a scare.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 30, 2016

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

MarshyMcFly posted:

I miss dark souls 2 infusions that could be buffed as well. I can't make my lothric Knight great sword with innate lightning damage and be infused with lightning and buffed with lightning blade lol.

I forget what it was called but there was a poison katana you got before the castle that you could do the same thing with

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
You have been invited to join the group "I drink estus, you drink semen".

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

My favorite times in this game have been just after the Pontiff. Summon one friendly phantom, wear Way of the Blue, bend a Finger and break out a Seed. It's chaos and I love it. I only wish that Reds and Goo Guards got credit off each other somehow, like Mads can.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

So, not only does the bug that removes the hitbox for the Sword Master work on all phantoms, but it works on multiple phantoms at once.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The funny thing about the blue sentinel orb is that in my experience grinding ears, it was useless half the time. By the time I loaded in the orb had already spawned and flown through a wall preventing me from seeing it. I get more use out of it as a red, as sometimes the blue doesn't spawn next to the host and instead spawns on the other side of the map. When that happens I try to murder them before they can join up with the host.

Though a lot of the time they get killed by the enemies near their spawn point because blue boys are mostly terrible.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I am a very boring person but of course, the closest thing to a "gimmick" build I'd want to run needs more VIT than even I'm comfortable with to midroll, particularly without Havel's ring.

God bless all the brave souls cosplaying as Smough. Because even something as mundane as Normal Lothric Knight cosplay needs about 34-35 VIT to barely midroll if you bring a shortbow and chime along for the ride (and bigger rings sending you over). Or "just" 27ish range with Havel's ring.

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Beat Nameless King on my first try. This was after banging my head against King of The Storm for 2 hours, and that fight is only hard because you're basically forced into first person mode for that fight. Seriously, what were they thinking when they designed that? Such a cool fight, utterly ruined by having to fight the lovely camera instead of the boss.

Same :saddowns::hf::saddowns:

Thank god for whoever it was suggested the Knight's Crossbow for the first phase to me.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

actionjackson posted:

I forget what it was called but there was a poison katana you got before the castle that you could do the same thing with

The Manslayer was its name and it was really fun paired with an offhand Spotted Whip

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Insurrectionist posted:

The only saving grace of my miracle run was the blessed weapon buff. I cheesed the Dancer with the invincible Weapon Master glitch and bought enough firebombs to kill the bridge dragon infected feet so I could have blessed weapon really early, and it made a the run up to the chapel and Carthus a breeze. It sucks if you only get it near the end of the game though.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Filthy Hans posted:

The only saving grace of my miracle run was the blessed weapon buff. I cheesed the Dancer with the invincible Weapon Master glitch and bought enough firebombs to kill the bridge dragon infected feet so I could have blessed weapon really early, and it made a the run up to the chapel and Carthus a breeze. It sucks if you only get it near the end of the game though.

It is kinda weird how you don't get blessed weapon before the catacombs unless you kill dancer, especially since it feels like the 'beginner buff' for faith. Also any unupgraded bow will handily kill the infected dragons as well.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Started new game ++ with my SL125 quality luck build. Iudex was in phase 2 before he stood up and dead immediately after his first post transformation leap with a rouged Anri's straight sword. :catstare:

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer

homeless poster posted:

clearly you're supposed to use your RAW rear end to punish because of straight sword superiority. who cares about build diversity when the best sword in the game and the gem needed to infuse it are found 15 minutes into the first zone? :downs:

Zweihander and heavy gem aren't found in the first zone. :confused:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Both can actually be obtained in Firelink Shrine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Someone tell me a fun/strong PVE build that uses fast weapons (that aren't just a broadsword)! This is for NG+ so everything is available.