Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The big problem about the missing bi-weave shields is support is only saying they were removed for purchase. They are just stating the obvious. Developers have been mute on the issue.
They probably shouldn't have launched this on a Thursday so they could take the weekend off and be completely silent.
Give a reason why bi-weave shields were removed.
Give a reason why AI can cheat with infinite heat capacity, infinite chaff, infinite shield banks, infinite ammo, making flak and plasma fire faster than a multicannon. Why they get engineer modules for free when players can't get the engineer modules without killing the NPCs that carry the components you need to upgrade components. I'm not talking about how the AI reacts to the player inputs, that's done to save processor cycles.
Almost as if they didn't even test combat. They didn't test the grind. They just went "welp, you can use fish to test the modules!" instead of seeing how stupid it was to get the grind done.

The brown sea just goes "get gud". That's not a solution to cheating AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

IAmTheRad posted:

The big problem about the missing bi-weave shields is support is only saying they were removed for purchase. They are just stating the obvious. Developers have been mute on the issue.
They probably shouldn't have launched this on a Thursday so they could take the weekend off and be completely silent.
Give a reason why bi-weave shields were removed.
Give a reason why AI can cheat with infinite heat capacity, infinite chaff, infinite shield banks, infinite ammo, making flak and plasma fire faster than a multicannon. Why they get engineer modules for free when players can't get the engineer modules without killing the NPCs that carry the components you need to upgrade components. I'm not talking about how the AI reacts to the player inputs, that's done to save processor cycles.
Almost as if they didn't even test combat. They didn't test the grind. They just went "welp, you can use fish to test the modules!" instead of seeing how stupid it was to get the grind done.

The brown sea just goes "get gud". That's not a solution to cheating AI.

Well, at least a dev has responded to the instakilled python video:

:frontear:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
That person has never played Elite Dangerous.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

hobbesmaster posted:

Christ :cripes:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Mining update : 1.3 Mil / 96 tonnes in 50 minutes, moderate cherry picking in a pristine metallic belt.

Seems legit, need to look into some mibing missions next.

Or just grind up enough to make a space madness Asp EX and go towards the core :v:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
This is loving hilarious to watch. They are reaching peak :frontear:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

TTerrible posted:

This is what is confusing me. What the gently caress, Frontier? :psyduck:
Now you know how we felt back at launch when everyone was wondering where all the Overcharged/Focused/Stealth weapons went. :v:

This is just a repeat of that, isn't it? :frontear:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I was in beta/gamma but I never got out of a hauler :v:

Fishreds99
Jul 8, 2009

Beep Boop
The entire beta through roll out of this patch is just a microcosm of the legitimate criticism leveled at Frontier as a developer. It's just strange they continue to make the same mistakes despite every opportunity to avoid them.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Fishreds99 posted:

The entire beta through roll out of this patch is just a microcosm of the legitimate criticism leveled at Frontier as a developer. It's just strange they continue to make the same mistakes despite every opportunity to avoid them.

The game has solid core mechanics because Braben is a talented game designer. Everything else sucks, likely because he's hired other people who are not talented at all.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 30, 2016

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Fishreds99 posted:

I was really hopeful for this one too because Braben himself admitted how much of a disappointment powerplay was, so I thought that maybe they understood why it sucked and how to fix it.

Turns out they thought that doubling down on the dumb was the way to go.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Nostalgia frequently hits the nail on the head for what many of us keep thinking.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It is. And the fact that they seem to be doubling down on it is demoralizing.

I'm completely gaybones for this game and I'm getting worn down by the bad decisions.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

You know what would make these AI changes tolerable?

NPC wingmen.

Or a LFG mechanic.

Or if being in a wing didn't diminish your payouts.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

NPC wingmen.

Or a LFG mechanic.

I kinda wish the AI played by the same rules as us.

Imagine playing a X3 where the Xenon had infinite laser energy.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

NPC wingmen.

Or a LFG mechanic.

At this point, I don't think it's the AI learning to be ace pilots that is the issue.

Even a mediocre player would not be too afraid of a wing of NPC adders, if they only had standard equipment and followed anything approaching to player limitations.

I get the need for concessions so AIs can so much as function. But the degree of it has always been silly (I shot out their sensors!... oh they can still target me with their turrets just fine okay then), and now even more so than before with them enjoying new heights of game genie.

Any NPC wingmen they see fit to allow us to have, will be bog standard unless we shell out millions of credits per hour for them.
Winging up with players with a functional basic MMO infrastructure won't help much, when even setting yourself to 4 pips in systems means you get blown away once the AI decides to open fire with cheat engine.
etc.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 30, 2016

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

My bros in the Space Police have helped me get into the Top 5 CMDRs for the combat CG, 3 top spec Condas and a bunch of Eagles as backup, I'm minting credits.

Not nearly as fun as actually being able to hunt and kill worthy opponents on your own, but hey! Well done Frontier.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Astroniomix posted:

I kinda wish the AI played by the same rules as us.

Imagine playing a X3 where the Xenon had infinite laser energy.

Yeah, I have no issues with the AI being good, but still constrained by the same ruleset (ship physics, maneuvering etc). The way it is now? ugh.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

My bros in the Space Police have helped me get into the Top 5 CMDRs for the combat CG, 3 top spec Condas and a bunch of Eagles as backup, I'm minting credits.

Not nearly as fun as actually being able to hunt and kill worthy opponents on your own, but hey! Well done Frontier.

yes abusing the poo poo out of cops in highrez's has gotten me to the top 10% of the cg

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Are you guys aligned to a pp faction?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Looks like my cunning plan to dock at Jaques Station, sell my exploration data, trade in the Asp for a basic Sidewinder, blow it up and insurance-scam my way home isn't going to happen.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

Are you guys aligned to a pp faction?

Not unless Galcop becomes one.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
The naval rank mechanic would be the perfect way to introduce NPC wingmates and actually make the horrific rank grind worth something. I'm a goddamn Rear Admiral in the Fed's equivalent of a national guard, the least you could do is give me discretionary command of a Vulture pilot or two.

Coincidentally, I'm cruising around blowing up cargo ships for those sweet, sweet mats and through some glitch I've picked up a wingman of sorts. There's this Zachary Hudon allied Eagle which drops into normal space with me every time no matter what and just sits there silently, watching. I don't know whether I should feel :3: or :tinfoil:

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I'm an idiot who accepted a trading mission instead of blowing stuff up (though to be fair it sounds like you really can't blow stuff up right now).

I can tell what systems export an item I need, but is there a way in game to easily tell which stations actually sell the commodity, besides checking each one individually on the system map (which in peak :frontear: requires 5 clicks per station plus loading times if it's on a surface)?

Also I got interdicted by a loving NPC anaconda that immediately opened fire on me. gently caress this piece of poo poo game

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

hobbesmaster posted:

That's rich.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Elite Dangerous: Not Very Smart...

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

MisterZimbu posted:

I'm an idiot who accepted a trading mission instead of blowing stuff up (though to be fair it sounds like you really can't blow stuff up right now).

I can tell what systems export an item I need, but is there a way in game to easily tell which stations actually sell the commodity, besides checking each one individually on the system map (which in peak :frontear: requires 5 clicks per station plus loading times if it's on a surface)?

Also I got interdicted by a loving NPC anaconda that immediately opened fire on me. gently caress this piece of poo poo game

Inara.cz's market tool is really useful for this kind of thing.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Anyone have a good guide on planetary prospecting for materials etc? Do I need to be out of the bubble to find a metal-rich world with other than 'low resources'..? I tried landing on a planet and tooled around for a half-hour in the scarab following the radar blips - found a whole 3 outcrops in all that time. That could have been another 3-4mil in a hires :mad:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Toops posted:

Elite Dangerous: Not Very Smart...

It's better: that is the woman who works on AI.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Hahaha goddamn, SJA didn't even watch that video did she?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Anyone have a good guide on planetary prospecting for materials etc? Do I need to be out of the bubble to find a metal-rich world with other than 'low resources'..? I tried landing on a planet and tooled around for a half-hour in the scarab following the radar blips - found a whole 3 outcrops in all that time. That could have been another 3-4mil in a hires :mad:

There's a lot on this but the sources are all spergs on the brown sea because none of this is documented anywhere else, or sourced from Frontier. So instead I'll give you the tl;dr version.

The rocks you shoot to get elements from are all meteorites - not native to the planet. From my own observations, planet type seems to have very little to do with anything. What's definitely true is that each planet has a 3-2-1 spawn table: 3 common, 2 rare, 1 very rare elements always spawn on any planet, along with a smattering of ultra common materials. Once you've found out that planet's 6, you can rest assured nothing else will spawn there. There are 25 elements in total, 5 of which are the super common ones not on the 3-2-1 table.

Unfortunately this means that short of doing your own surveying, all you have to go on is other people's lists of what spawns where. There are quite a few of those on barnacle systems because they used to be the prime places at which to farm for the materials, as you never had to move away from them.

Once down on a planet, focus on the scrapey sounds, and not the clicking ones. These will be the Mesosiderites, Outcrop variant 2 and Metallic Meteorites - use this as a reference. These rocks have their spawns tables biased to drop the rarer materials more often. Ignore everything else unless you need a ton of the crappier ones.

Edit: Here's the list of all the elements - scroll down a bit to see them.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 30, 2016

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Hexenritter posted:

Inara.cz's market tool is really useful for this kind of thing.

Thanks for this.

Pretty dumb that there doesn't seem to be any way ingame to do this short of literally visiting every station in a system, but that's E:D for you I guess.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Are there instructions for this update? Started the game, res looks different, finding weird things and I have messages that I am supposed to go to some systems 75 to 160ly from where I am and I don't know wtf.

Also, npc are probably 2x harder now.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016
Elite is finally dangerous it seems :) Died for the first time ever due to NPC combat.

100LY outside the bubble tootling around exploring an Elite Python jumps me. I killed after about 10 minutes, but it left me with 25% hull, a destroyed canopy, wreaked fuel scoops and only half a tank of fuel.

25 mins of air and not enough fuel to make it home! I had enough materials to synth a 50% FSD boost, plotted an economic course to the nearest base and hi-tailed it.

I made it to the second last jump before me fuel ran out and all I could do was watch my last few minutes of air run out. Click rebuy!

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Whenever I do space truckin' in my Type 7 I will get interdicted once out of every ~4 systems. Usually, whatever it is can pull me down to ~80% hull before I can finish charging my slow-rear end space brick. I am looking forward to having to dick with this in my cobra or type 6 if the little npc fuckers get the sup'd up thrusters and shotgun lasers.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

MisterZimbu posted:

Thanks for this.

Pretty dumb that there doesn't seem to be any way ingame to do this short of literally visiting every station in a system, but that's E:D for you I guess.

Yeah, I agree. I pretend it does by using the steam overlay

King of Cheeses
Jul 25, 2007
Crusty on the outside, smooth and creamy on the inside.

timn posted:

Not sure if pinning a recipe was meant to tilt the odds in your favor, but jesus christ they really ought to make it that way. They already do a similar thing for the surface missions.

The different ways to get materials are fun, and the description hints for specific materials are reasonable, but being at the mercy of the RNG to get the right type of USS or surface POI is just too much. The closest I've gotten to having some degree of control was repeatedly visiting a persistent "Seeking Weapons" source and murking the respawning Type-9's for chemical processors/fabricators/whatevers.

I tried Anarchy system nav beacons and shot down various hauler type ships for chemical processors. Also found one at a wreck site on a planet. Later found that ASPs are quite likely to drop them so options there in a RES if they are wanted. I also (eventually) remembered the Contacts pane is good to see and target what a ship drops after you blow it up.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The Diamond Frog CG is now at Tier 3 with rewards of 4.5M/3M/2.25M/1.5M/750K and 300K.

Remember, every little helps.

King of Cheeses
Jul 25, 2007
Crusty on the outside, smooth and creamy on the inside.
Thoughts on Engineers:

There's still money to be made transporting and smuggling from outposts in Engineers. I never did Robigo but instead chose Sothis. Ceos is close by and missions between the two help you build up rep with the locals quickly and so get better missions. Better missions also come with trade rank, and that can be a grind. I made over 8 million with a single jump cargo mission from Ceos to Sothis last night. Quite a surprise. I followed up with a 6 million cargo transport from Sothis to somewhere around 300+ Ly away. +14 million in an hour. I think the RNG Gods shone on me though.

I'm not finding engineers materials too hard to find at the moment, but the early blueprints don't require many materials plus I already had some minerals from planetary exploration that I needed. I've boosted my FSD twice although only one result was worth actually committing to.

AI is way too overpowered. I'm now using turrets which previously I had ignored. Single small ships are still giving me a hard time. I'm spending time picking up materials while hunting in a RES just to let my shields recover between engagements.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Any station that's fairly far away from the bubble will generate missions that give shittons of cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow_333
May 2, 2016

King of Cheeses posted:

Thoughts on Engineers:

There's still money to be made transporting and smuggling from outposts in Engineers. I never did Robigo but instead chose Sothis. Ceos is close by and missions between the two help you build up rep with the locals quickly and so get better missions. Better missions also come with trade rank, and that can be a grind. I made over 8 million with a single jump cargo mission from Ceos to Sothis last night. Quite a surprise. I followed up with a 6 million cargo transport from Sothis to somewhere around 300+ Ly away. +14 million in an hour. I think the RNG Gods shone on me though.

I'm not finding engineers materials too hard to find at the moment, but the early blueprints don't require many materials plus I already had some minerals from planetary exploration that I needed. I've boosted my FSD twice although only one result was worth actually committing to.

AI is way too overpowered. I'm now using turrets which previously I had ignored. Single small ships are still giving me a hard time. I'm spending time picking up materials while hunting in a RES just to let my shields recover between engagements.

At least it seems they have buffed turrets a bit. At this point i have little to no chance with a fixed/gimbal outfit similar to what i used in 2.0
I get hammered on by viper mk4's and anaconda's. Last time i flew any of those, they did not outperform a maxed corvette by that much?

On a side note; huge mc's = <3

• Locked thread