Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

The best change Valve has made in Team Fortress 3 is making the turret not have loving knock back.

but then they'd be useless in the wake of ubers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Torb's turret is a joke compared to the Engineer's.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

Akumos posted:

Nah, Reaper is a lot more like Spy than Genji, Tracer is more like the Scout. But yeah, Reaper has weird shotguns for meatshotting like Scout did, but his purpose seems to mostly be similar, get up close from unexpected angles/locations to instagib people, mostly threats that are harder to take out for your further away team.

Genji can kill one person with a team around them a lot more reliably than a Reaper can. He's the best choice for taking out a support with ult before your team pushes in. To do the same thing, Reaper has to get close without anyone noticing, without invisibility, but a Genji just has to land a solid M1 and press shift. Both of them work well if the entire enemy team is distracted, but Reaper is much better in skirmishes and Genji is much better at getting one big pick off.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!
e: double post

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Internet Kraken posted:

When I hear the MOLTEN COOOOOREEEEEEEE call I am terrified of a loving midget hammering my nutsack with white hot molten slag, not his pissy little shitblaster.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah even during Molten Core it's not nearly as good as the TF2 level 3 is all the time.

But then again Torbjorn is actually good at fighting and doesn't just babysit his turret all day.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Killing a Tracer 1v1 with Mercy is so satisfying

Also - Winston and Soldier 76 are super underrated and most teams I play with don't like them for some reason? I usually win a lot on teams with at least a Winston.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cock hero flux posted:

Yeah even during Molten Core it's not nearly as good as the TF2 level 3 is all the time.

But then again Torbjorn is actually good at fighting and doesn't just babysit his turret all day.

Gunslinger Engineer was by far the most fun way to play him though.

Torb's turret is specifically designed to not be something that will ever hold a point on its own. I think one of the tips even says you won't be able to repair damage faster than it accumulates most of the time. Torb himself is a decent fighter but its still frustrating when you can't get a single turret up cause he's a lot less effective without your autoaim distraction.

Also it annoys me that you can't rotate the turret which makes placing it in certain areas really annoying.

Harlock posted:

Also - Winston and Soldier 76 are super underrated and most teams I play with don't like them for some reason? I usually win a lot on teams with at least a Winston.

In my experience Winston either does really good or is totally ineffective.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Harlock posted:

Soldier 76 is considered boring and plain by a lot of players compared to being a double jumping dashing ninja or a high noon cowboy or a teleporting shotgun ghost. Which is a shame because off all the classes he's the only true frontline fighter in offense and will help a team much more then a third flanker class

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bolivar posted:

What's a "get out of free jail" card :tipshat:

Well once you've freed jail, you'll get something out of it

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Professor Wayne posted:

Is there a character more satisfying than Reinhart? Here's a play of the game I got with him tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7i3E64DxhE

I play healer just to aid in Deviant getting disgustingly brutal POTGs as Reinhart. They're always ten times more interesting than any other character.

Speaking of, has Blizzard ever talked about POTG re-tooling or does it just not rate next to more important things in the game? It feels a little lame to see someone on the team clear out an objective as Tracer for the win, but the POTG is Widowmaker getting two kills in 5 seconds.

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

tf2's sentries definitely deal more damage, but between the fact that overwatch turrets having infinite range, and the fact that tf2 has ubercharges, im honestly more bothered by torb's turrets

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It'd be nice if it was at all reasonable to see a Zenyatta PotG but it seems like you'd need a full-ult plus like three kills and also for the rest of your players to do nothing impressive for it actually to happen.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Only 27 eliminations out of 124 direct rocket hits :sigh:. I feel like she really needs a direct hit damage buff or slightly more splash.
At least I got Pharah's sweet gundam getup.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Did a lot more Mercy'ing tonight to practice being on point with healing, boosting, and knowing when to just shoot a sucka

I don't know what that Hanzo expected but it probably wasn't an angry nurse following a pharah up a ledge to plug him. I didn't get the killing blow but I like to think I confused him a little before flying off to actually do my drat job

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Soldier 76 is considered boring and plain by a lot of players compared to being a double jumping dashing ninja or a high noon cowboy or a teleporting shotgun ghost. Which is a shame because off all the classes he's the only true frontline fighter in offense and will help a team much more then a third flanker class

I'm decent with 76 so if I'm doing especially poorly in a match with a more specialized character I occasionally switch to 76 just for some simple power and mobility. I just don't find him terribly fun or interesting to use. I'd rather spend the time getting better with other characters I enjoy more, even if I might perform a little worse.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I want to practice Genji more since I got his sick Nomad skin but there's rarely ever a need for a lovely newbie Genji

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It'd be nice if it was at all reasonable to see a Zenyatta PotG but it seems like you'd need a full-ult plus like three kills and also for the rest of your players to do nothing impressive for it actually to happen.

I even bought one of the highlight reels because it looks so good with the Ifrit skin :negative:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Just had to figure out how to leave voice cause some guy was literally eating some kind of wet, disgusting food loudly over mic and breathing heavily, also he picked Roadhog

Can you mute people?

Hit P during a match to bring up the 'social channels'. It lets you disable both voice and chat.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I want to practice Genji more since I got his sick Nomad skin but there's rarely ever a need for a lovely newbie Genji

The weekly brawls seem a bit more suitable for "practising" stuff. For instance, their win/loss doesn't show in your character stats. The current weekly brawl is also a good practice range due to double HP.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

Gunslinger Engineer was by far the most fun way to play him though.

Torb's turret is specifically designed to not be something that will ever hold a point on its own. I think one of the tips even says you won't be able to repair damage faster than it accumulates most of the time. Torb himself is a decent fighter but its still frustrating when you can't get a single turret up cause he's a lot less effective without your autoaim distraction.
My favorite early realization about Torb was that the Scrap meter only existed for throwing armor buffs to people.

I guess considering you have to go out and get that scrap, a lot of Torbs probably will barely throw out any to their teammates the entire time. Even if they remember they have a gun.

Meanwhile (When I'm not making a loving embarrassment of my already middling skill level) I'm making free throws to toss armor up to hanzos on ledges because I've already thrown armor to the entire team and there are two more unused armor pickups.

You know you are doing something right when you see teammates start veering towards in case you have a gift for them.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 30, 2016

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

bara godzilla posted:

but between the fact that overwatch turrets having infinite range

Uh

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bolivar posted:

The weekly brawls seem a bit more suitable for "practising" stuff. For instance, their win/loss doesn't show in your character stats. The current weekly brawl is also a good practice range due to double HP.

Guess I'll give it a shot.

I just sort of avoided it because I expect it to be a hell of infinite ice walls and pulse bomb recall carpet bombings

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Section Z posted:

My favorite early realization about Torb was that the Scrap meter only existed for throwing armor buffs to people.

I guess considering you have to go out and get that scrap, a lot of Torbs probably will barely throw out any to their teammates the entire time. Even if they remember they have a gun.

Meanwhile (When I'm not making a loving embarrassment of my already middling skill level) I'm making free throws to toss armor up to hanzos on ledges because I've already thrown armor to the entire team and there are two more unused armor pickups.

It's a fun mini-game. Though sooner or later I'm gonna die to some widowmaker one-shot when I'm "just going to get that piece of scrap there thank you very much"...

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Guess I'll give it a shot.

I just sort of avoided it because I expect it to be a hell of infinite ice walls and pulse bomb recall carpet bombings

There aren't any more Meis than in the standard game, and at least to me the cooldowns are not totally overblown.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Hey don't discriminate against me because I'm L15; discriminate against me because I'm bad.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

Hey don't discriminate against me because I'm L15; discriminate against me because I'm bad.

:yeah:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

You shouldn't use brawl to practice in, since it drastically changes how play actually is. Not only does your character play differently, but so does every opponent. Timing for your cooldowns and getting a good judge of how much hp people have left after hitting with ninja stars is very, very important for genji. A mode that is changing cooldowns and hp is going to gently caress all that up.

You pretty much just need to admit to yourself that you're going to lose a bunch of games as you play, and just try not to sweat it too much. Ignore your team if they're getting all super salty about it. Try to think about why stuff is working or not working, try to look at ways you mess up and how to improve. Especially with genji, basically every time you die it is your fault. Did you stay too long, or use up your dash so you couldn't escape, or use deflect at a bad time, or go in at a bad time, etc.

I find it helpful to set yourself some sort of goals. Like you're going to try to reflect kill widowmaker, or reflect kill mccree during high noon, or go kill mercy every time your ult is up.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Don't sweat quick play, so you lose a bunch of games, big deal. How else are you going to learn?

In a few weeks (haha) we'll have ranked and QM will be forever the casual mode to gently caress off and play whatev.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Having Arcade be the launch week brawl was the dumbest descision you could possibly do, when you had a mode already that would teach people the heroes in the random hero on death one.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3yWnWHxeLg

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Having Arcade be the launch week brawl was the dumbest descision you could possibly do, when you had a mode already that would teach people the heroes in the random hero on death one.

I'd like to have that one next and not some gimmick poo poo with 4 heroes to choose from.

The great thing with "random hero" brawl is also that for once I don't need to think about team composition, I can be that lovely Hanzo for as long as I stay alive.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I got rocked :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CsYdx1R-44

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Ormi posted:

Genji can kill one person with a team around them a lot more reliably than a Reaper can. He's the best choice for taking out a support with ult before your team pushes in. To do the same thing, Reaper has to get close without anyone noticing, without invisibility, but a Genji just has to land a solid M1 and press shift. Both of them work well if the entire enemy team is distracted, but Reaper is much better in skirmishes and Genji is much better at getting one big pick off.

Maybe I play Reaper different but I find it much easier to get picks using sneaky tactics as a Reaper than zerging in to kill a guy as Genji. I mean you can pretty much suicide dive on any char if you get close enough I guess, I just seem to be able to reliably sneak around maps easier with Reaper because of his teleport, and if you can come around a corner or drop down you can almost always 2 shot someone.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Torb's turrets have a range of 40 meters, it's just that the maps don't have super-long sight lines like some TF2 maps had, so you'll rarely see a turret outside range.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I skipped a couple of minutes into it and the first thing I heard was "SJW retards".

Class act.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I like this game. I think it is a good game.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Your Computer posted:

I skipped a couple of minutes into it and the first thing I heard was "SJW retards".

Class act.
He is literally the whitest man on earth

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
My favourite hero right now is probably Zarya, she's cool and cute and tough and literally every ability on her owns and she has a high enough skill floor that pubs hate playing her so I'm free to style with her without anyone crowding me. I still have to beat the tendancy to pre-emptively shield out of my head and I still don't think she's as fun as early beta D.Va though.

On another tack are there any good Overwatch Youtubers or am I stick watching Surefour and Seagull's stream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Plan Z posted:

I play healer just to aid in Deviant getting disgustingly brutal POTGs as Reinhart. They're always ten times more interesting than any other character.

Speaking of, has Blizzard ever talked about POTG re-tooling or does it just not rate next to more important things in the game? It feels a little lame to see someone on the team clear out an objective as Tracer for the win, but the POTG is Widowmaker getting two kills in 5 seconds.
I imagine because it would be a nightmare to code for a more elaborate PotG that isn't just a murder spree.

It definitely evaluates everyone. The highlight section on the main menu is basically what your play of the game would have been if it got picked.