Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It seems people are incredibly angry about it being apparently both too similar and too different to the old series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I've not liked Chris Evans since ages back but apparently there's a big Murdoch plot to assassinate him so I guess...
Anyone watching new Hollow Crown? I've not been keeping up.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
People were never going to like it. If you're the fan of a thing, you're never going to like it when a big part of it gets replaced. But then it's not like that show hit the ground running either.

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004
Top Gear was just a bit dull.
Watch it on iplayer later on and just fast forward the boring bits.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Would genuinely love if Top Gear became a full time concern for Evans and he gave the keys to his Radio 2 show to Sara Cox because she gets radio so much better than he does

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Everything Le Blanc said just seemed so forced for me.

Obviously the show has always been heavily scripted but at least the other three sounded natural.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It might yet turn into decent brainless entertainment if they can get another couple of years and a third person who can be rude to the other two; and it'll get it as long as the international sales keep printing money for them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Would genuinely love if Top Gear became a full time concern for Evans and he gave the keys to his Radio 2 show to Sara Cox because she gets radio so much better than he does

I don't really enjoy her so much when she's in for him in the mornings, although I suppose that's because I'm just accustomed to Evans. If she replaced him full time, I imagine I'd get used to her; I didn't think I would get used to Evans after Wogan left. Still, better than Richard Madeley when he's filling in, I suppose.

I think my favourite presenter the Beeb has on the radio at the moment is actually Craig Charles.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

As someone who likes cars but was completely checked out on Top Gear by the time Clarkson and co left I enjoyed the new one. Matt does feel a little forced, but I don't think he's ever done any actual presenting before so it's outside his comfort zone. Hopefully he settles in over time. I like that they've kept very little from the old show, if they'd come back and tried to do the same show with the same look it would've felt extremely forced. They do need a 3rd studio person I feel though, I was hoping Chris Harris would've been that 3rd since he's a solid presenter in his Youtube show.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Although he was a little stiff, LeBlanc's deadpanning was better suited than Evan's Excited-Child style. Also, considering how many presenters they announced, it was too much of a duo instead of a trio.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't really enjoy her so much when she's in for him in the mornings, although I suppose that's because I'm just accustomed to Evans. If she replaced him full time, I imagine I'd get used to her; I didn't think I would get used to Evans after Wogan left. Still, better than Richard Madeley when he's filling in, I suppose.

I think my favourite presenter the Beeb has on the radio at the moment is actually Craig Charles.

I like Ken Bruce and his infinite supply of dad humour, and Charlie Sloth is going to be a breakout star. My main problem with Evans, and this really only applies to his radio show, is that it gives the impression of improvised spontaneity but is regimented and scripted to a tee.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Steve2911 posted:

So I guess people don't like the new Top Gear?

I don't know. I watched a little bit of it and it seems like the old one except without Jeremy Clarkson. Removing Jeremy Clarkson from anything seems like a bit of a step up. :shrug:

I think cars and their associated programming are poo poo though so what do I know.

It really was a piece of cringe worthy loving trash. Personally I think Top Gear should about three mates on a road trip taking the piss out of each other, however their new show will soon be upon us and will give me exactly that.
I think the only people who celebrated last nights episode of Top Gear now work for Amazon Prime.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
LeBlanc has hosted some BBC America Top Gear compilation shows but those were scripted links

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Evans said anything less than 5 million viewers would be a disappointment.

They got 4.34 million.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Like most radio deejays Evans is a personality vacuum if you scrape away that wafer-thin layer of middle-aged-lad shtick.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I like Ken Bruce and his infinite supply of dad humour, and Charlie Sloth is going to be a breakout star. My main problem with Evans, and this really only applies to his radio show, is that it gives the impression of improvised spontaneity but is regimented and scripted to a tee.

I like Ken Bruce well enough. I quite enjoy Simon Mayo as well. It's him and Bruce who fit my idea of a Radio 2 presenter. My least favourite daytime Radio 2 shows are Jeremy Vine's one (not because I dislike Jeremy Vine or anything - it's just that there's nothing to spoil your lunch quite like people having a whinge at each other about politics) and Steve Wright (because I'm not really keen on his presenting style, which is like Evans trying to be Bruce).

I sometimes listen to U105, which is one of the main Belfast Metropolitan Area stations, but their shows with male presenters always have seem to have the bass turned way up, which is makes for unpleasant listening when you factor in that all the male hosts have rather thick Belfast accents.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Iggy Pop does two hours a week on 6 Music, am I allowed to pick him as my favourite?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Well someone's on the defensive already

https://twitter.com/achrisevans/status/737278291346903041

https://twitter.com/achrisevans/status/737278995729895424

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They would've done a lot better if they'd used my idea to have the cast of Red Dwarf (Charles/Barrie/Llewellyn/John-Jules) as the presenters. :smug:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

I like Ken Bruce and his infinite supply of dad humour, and Charlie Sloth is going to be a breakout star.

I'd have a lot more time for Charlie Sloth if he didn't keep using that loving airhorn effect every 30 seconds.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I've seen a lot of nervous breakdowns on Twitter and that is one of them.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

I'd have a lot more time for Charlie Sloth if he didn't keep using that loving airhorn effect every 30 seconds.

he's come up on Five Live's Fighting Talk recently and he's been pretty good there. Combo him with Dougie Anderson and it's almost radio gold. And the airhorn must have been left behind when Westwood (for he has no first name) was let go

Steve2911 posted:

I've seen a lot of nervous breakdowns on Twitter and that is one of them.

I'm imaging this will get a load of play tomorrow on the radio, so I'm loading as many Fabric CDs as I can into my car so I can avoid it

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Wheat Loaf posted:

They would've done a lot better if they'd used my idea to have the cast of Red Dwarf (Charles/Barrie/Llewellyn/John-Jules) as the presenters. :smug:

That's not a bad idea at all - I know that Llewellyn and Barrie are into cars and I think John-Jules is a biker (when not punching binmen) and Charles can talk about music and not doing crack or corrie anymore.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Doubtful Guest posted:

That's not a bad idea at all - I know that Llewellyn and Barrie are into cars and I think John-Jules is a biker (when not punching binmen) and Charles can talk about music and not doing crack or corrie anymore.

It is a good idea for British telly, so it'll never happen.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doubtful Guest posted:

There's precedent for it because last time Jeremy Clarkson was replaced as a presenter, they hired Craig Charles.

(Everyone forgets that Jeremy Clarkson was the presenter on the first series of Robot Wars.)

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 30, 2016

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Doubtful Guest posted:

Hell, Llewellyn and Charles have both presented shows about being irresponsible with machinery.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Barrie's mostly into classic motors and Llewellyn's more of a big fan of engineering in general, though he does have a thing for electric cars. I'm not sure any of them could do the "serious" modern car journalism, but then Top Gear's not had that for a while.

I also can't remember if they all still like each other.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Their Twitter accounts were full of them all taking the piss out of each other when they did their most recent bit of Red Dwarf filming (there's going to be more and it's still going to be terrible), so at the moment it appears to be "yes", and there's no reason why they couldn't have been great at presenting a comedy show with cars in.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Alexei Sayle might have been a good choice as well.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
theres some new Alan Partridge thing on Sky Atlantic right now that I had no idea was being made

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

This Russel T Davis Midsummer Night's Dream is pretty bad. Since he couldn't do the dialogue, he went all out and made everything else the most RTD thing ever.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Top Gear was massively popular because the British public are mainly terrible and like laughing at Clarkson, Hammond and May travelling around the world being a pack of racist, misogynistic, homophobic cunts. The Beeb were never gonna allow that om the new Top Gear so of course people hate it.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

theres some new Alan Partridge thing on Sky Atlantic right now that I had no idea was being made

It was ok, not his best work. It does get points for reminding viewers that David Cameron hosed a dead pig though.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

This Russel T Davis Midsummer Night's Dream is pretty bad. Since he couldn't do the dialogue, he went all out and made everything else the most RTD thing ever.

Oh, that was his?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

StoneOfShame posted:

Top Gear was massively popular because the British public are mainly terrible and like laughing at Clarkson, Hammond and May travelling around the world being a pack of racist, misogynistic, homophobic cunts. The Beeb were never gonna allow that om the new Top Gear so of course people hate it.

I also love all the people talking about how Top Gear was supposed to be this hilarious anarchic laugh and how the new one is scripted and awful, as if every word that left Clarkson, May and Hammond's mouths weren't written by committee to appeal to The Lad Demographic.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone else enjoy that Clarkson, the ultimate Europhile, is most widely beloved by the folks who want Nigel Farage to be PM?

I reckon if David Cameron was serious about winning this referendum, he should have asked Clarkson to be a Remain spokesman.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I also love all the people talking about how Top Gear was supposed to be this hilarious anarchic laugh and how the new one is scripted and awful, as if every word that left Clarkson, May and Hammond's mouths weren't written by committee to appeal to The Lad Demographic.

They were talking about Top Gear on Radio 4 the other day. The first series is/was apparently SO BAD that it has been expunged from all the usual sources. These programmes take a while to bed in and the original Top Gear was no different. I haven't watched the new series, I'm not sure if I can be arsed but I felt the same way when it was the old line up.It ceased being funny to me several series ago...

edit- You can get some episodes on Youtube but they look like they were filmed with a potato and are cropped to hell. I guess that is to get round copyright issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knULaFwpv4k

Rondette fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 31, 2016

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Squalitude posted:

It was ok, not his best work. It does get points for reminding viewers that David Cameron hosed a dead pig though.
It surprised me too, though his twitter account did announce it a few days ago but I guess not many people follow it since it hasn't tweeted in like three years or something. I thought it (Scissored Isle) was really good and had some genuinely funny moments. I had to pause it a couple of times because I was laughing so hard. I'm super glad there's still new Partridge stuff being made as they've been promising a new series of Mid Morning Matters for a couple of years now and it's been quiet since. Supposedly they're making another AP movie though which is sweet.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Watched the first part of Henry VI in the Hollow Crown series - really good adaptation IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Angrymog posted:

Watched the first part of Henry VI in the Hollow Crown series - really good adaptation IMO.

I worked on that back in 2014. Sophie Okenedo is a huge fucker but Gambon is sound as hell and does not give a gently caress.