Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also I liked the remixed FFX soundtrack overall

Same. It's got some stinkers but I liked the new takes on some of my favorites from the original like the Besaid Island theme. I went with it over the original because I'd already listened that a million times and wanted to see what it was about and was for the most part pretty happy with my decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Anyone still playing final fantasy explorers? I heard that game is easy to solo but I wouldn't mind doing it with goons. Just picked up a copy cheap, they're under 20 dollars on Amazon now.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

What the heck, whose idea was it to give you Rikku over 10 hours into FFX at literally the same power level she had in the intro? This sure is encouraging me to try the new character out.

Obviously training everyone in FFX is almost free and it won't be a problem, but that sure deflated my excitement about having new party member fast. I understand not autoleveling her, because customization's the whole point of the sphere grid, but couldn't she come with like 20 free levels?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Rikku was already a few levels above Tidus and like you said, leveling is literally just having Rikku do something during battle.

She's one of the best party members because she's the fastest member, auto-kills mechs with steal, and generally has the best overdrive.

This ain't Fire Emblem Fates where they give characters like 20 levels lower than your party (while also giving you another party member in the same mission 15 extra levels)

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Trio of 9999 is amazing for when you can't be hosed to grind out levels and just want to end the game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well, while we're on the subject, should I look up Mixes, or can I just mess with it and expect results?

Similarly, is there any way (in game) for me to find out what can be stolen from everything and where the good poo poo is you'd never see without being extremely lucky or grinding steals forever? Well, assuming the game has rare steals, but what FF doesn't.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

If you have Holy by the time you got to Yunalesca you should be able to beat her easily though

Also I liked the remixed FFX soundtrack overall

Yeah, I was just disappointed that I could only beat her instead of making a mockery of the fight.

Amppelix posted:

Well, while we're on the subject, should I look up Mixes, or can I just mess with it and expect results?

There are far too many combinations for experimentation to be effective. Just look up the useful ones and go with that.

Also there are rare steals, but they're not that rare. I think it's just 75/25 for common/rare, and your first steal is always successful.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

FFX went the complete opposite of FF9 in the steal department. Nothing you get is that good other than getting material for crafting abilities, and you ain't getting much out of bosses that way.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, I was just disappointed that I could only beat her instead of making a mockery of the fight.

The real way to mock Yunalesca is to customize both Zombieproof and Deathproof onto a single armour (Candles of Life for Zombieproof can be stolen from the Zanarkand Dome enemies, and Deathproof can be gotten by capturing all the enemies in the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth). Yunalesca pretty much can't touch that character (other than Confusion).

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The remastered version of the Gagazet theme is P good

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Can't wait until Steam has another SqaureEnix sale where I can buy some of these other FFs I missed out on.

I put in a few more hours of FF: Lightning Returns. Pretty baffling they turned a series dominated by progressing the story via combat, to a game that focuses on primarily fetching quests. This game is 90% questing - 10% combat. What little combat there is, is good and fun, but the game pretty much discourages it unless it's part of the quest itself. Another thing I like is that there's more strategy involved in the combat due to being able to equip more stuff that makes a difference. That and also different equipment actually looks different, something that JRPGS suck at. The previous two FFs you had a choice of weapons and choice of 1 to 2 accessories. The weapons themselves only change in appearance via skins, which was pretty lame.

Whelp, hopefully the game is more combat involved for the last half.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ijii posted:

Can't wait until Steam has another SqaureEnix sale where I can buy some of these other FFs I missed out on.

I put in a few more hours of FF: Lightning Returns. Pretty baffling they turned a series dominated by progressing the story via combat, to a game that focuses on primarily fetching quests. This game is 90% questing - 10% combat. What little combat there is, is good and fun, but the game pretty much discourages it unless it's part of the quest itself. Another thing I like is that there's more strategy involved in the combat due to being able to equip more stuff that makes a difference. That and also different equipment actually looks different, something that JRPGS suck at. The previous two FFs you had a choice of weapons and choice of 1 to 2 accessories. The weapons themselves only change in appearance via skins, which was pretty lame.

Whelp, hopefully the game is more combat involved for the last half.

You absolutely should be fighting as fighting earns you points to spend for extra time and additional abilities and gets you closer to extincting enemies.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Really depends on the zone you're in. Hardly any fighting in the cities, while areas like the dunes is mostly fighting.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

So like, is anyone ever gonna ask Rikku what she was doing piloting a giant killer robot, or why she wants to come with on the pilgrimage, or what the heck she's been doing the last few weeks and what the deal with the Al Bhed is, or in fact anything at all about her? No? In fact everyone's going to accept her like she was always there because the writers couldn't think of a better way to do it? Yup, thought so.

I'm sure this plot point will come up later when someone finally gets curious about her at an arbitrary point in the story where it is convenient.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
It all gets revealed and does kinda make sense (in the way that anything in FF "makes sense"), the Al Bhed are misunderstood, not evil.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

NonzeroCircle posted:

It all gets revealed and does kinda make sense (in the way that anything in FF "makes sense"), the Al Bhed are misunderstood, not evil.

Of course they aren't evil, how could they give me a heavy-handed racism aesop otherwise?

I'm just annoyed at the way in which nobody in the story seems to care, at all. This (that is, characters joining the party in completely nonsensical circumstances where it only seems to happen because the party had to gather somehow) is a pretty common trope and I always dislike it whenever it reads its head.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rikku has reasons for joining the pilgrimage and it will be revealed in a rather extended plot twist event a few hours from where you're at. That's one of the least nonsensical aspects of FFX's plot, actually.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
In fact, everyone in FFX has a reason to be on the pilgrimage. Even the characters who look like they are just tagging along.

Augus posted:

Expert Sphere Grid is cool because you don't need to wait to the endgame to send characters down weird paths.
The remixed soundtrack is kinda pretty bad.

It's wonderful because I started the game doing Strength Yuna, and the game was NOT balanced around Yuna being able to send Bahamut to do 60k in a punch

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If you read carefully, you'll see I have no problem with Rikku or her mysterious motivations. What I do have a problem with is how, after we establish that she was antagonising us just a minute ago, the very next scene is her joining us and then we go on our merry way and nobody brings it up ever again. Where was the part where Tidus grills her about that? Where is anyone doubting her for even a second? Why is nobody interested in finding out what on earth she was actually doing with Yuna? Etc. That scene just makes no sense. They could have just left out the part where we find out she was actually with the other Al Bhed kidnappers and everything would have been fine, too.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

:shrug: She's a family member to one of your main party members, and saved the life of the other party member when they first got to Spira, that probably buys you a lot of leeway. The only one who obviously distrusts her is the one that doesn't know the above, which kinda makes sense.

Edit: I actually don't remember when that plot point got revealed, so I spoilered it just in case. It's a mild reveal, but obviously don't read it until you know Rikku's "deal".

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 30, 2016

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Auron said it's cool she joins the party and nobody's going to question loving Auron about it because he's god drat Auron.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Also I think Tidus is the only one who knows she was piloting the robot? I don't know, it's been a while since I played it

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Scrap Dragon posted:

Also I think Tidus is the only one who knows she was piloting the robot? I don't know, it's been a while since I played it

He is. Tidus is the only one who knows, and he's not going to rat out the person who saved his life. Auron knows she's an Al Bhed, and Yuna requested her to be her guardian after having a private conversation.

For anything you can criticize the games story on, that's not it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Gologle posted:

There is a Sarah in Final Fantasy Dimensions, who was a warrior princess and her lover was the lead knight of her royal guard and also a paladin, arguably the best job for the light warriors besides seer.

It's too bad Final Fantasy Dimensions kind of sucked.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I beat the Luca Goers for the first time in like 5 playthroughs since the game came out. Yevon bless the 4X speed booster, makes it so much less painful.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I actually beat them my first ever try, in my introduction to Blitzball (beyond the tutorial anyway). Lady luck repaying me for all those deaths in Dark Souls 3 I'm sure!

E: That said so far Blitzball has seemed kind of weirdly separate from the rest of the game after that. Just putting it into the save spheres just feels really awkward and I haven't tried a single game since...

E2: I just got Rikku in my party proper, and while I was prepared for her to be low level from the previous discussion, I don't get why she needs 450 AP to get her first level??? This is bullshit, game!

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 30, 2016

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

More World of Final Fantasy screenshots here.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

What the gently caress is this poo poo.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Mega64 posted:

Exactly the same reaction everyone had when this was shown before unveiling final fantasy 7 remake.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It looks extremely cute, I hope it's good

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mega64 posted:

Please be kind to my friend Vivi.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mega64 posted:

This is a game you would literally make, I guess you hate yourself?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

It looks extremely cute, I hope it's good

i'm prob gonna buy it, it looks cute and that means a lot

hopefully there will be costumes

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Mega64 posted:

Vivi is a kind and gentle soul Mega64, and having more of him is only a good thing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Why do the characters have stubs for limbs?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Scalding Coffee posted:

Why do the characters have stubs for limbs?

It's the artstyle they're going for, chibi look for all of the human characters except the main characters that can switch between chibi and regular looking.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Any mention that chibi dolls game will be ported to Steam, in that site?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Vita and PS4 only as far as anyone knows.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

IIRC it was revealed as "first on Playstation" which means it isn't exclusive at least. So anything can happen past the release date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

E: That said so far Blitzball has seemed kind of weirdly separate from the rest of the game after that. Just putting it into the save spheres just feels really awkward and I haven't tried a single game since...

Blitzball is useful for getting some stuff for wakka