Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah I was gonna say I picked it up level 2.

But actually even just regular plasma shots take down their shield really quick, at least on UV I just power right through them with plasma bullets without any problem, assuming there's only one.

Or you just strafe them.

Seriously though I never did take the stun bomb, and have never really had a problem with them. Those who do, I honestly wonder - how much worse does it get for you when you start fighting pinkies, since those are functionally just beefier shield dudes?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Chainsaw also works for the shield guys.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Wanderer posted:

I know there's one real rear end in a top hat of a secret in the Foundry that's seriously just a hard-to-reach control room in that little bit of ductwork about halfway down the map. It doesn't really have anything in it, either.
If that's the one I'm thinking of it has an early rocket launcher. Also IIRC it's possible to enter and exit that room in a way that you can bypass the "you discovered a secret" trigger so it'll flag itself as not found.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
circle strafe is pretty effective i mean, its doom after all

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

echronorian posted:

circle strafe is pretty effective i mean, its doom after all

The reason I hate them is not becauase they're hard to take out, but I only seem to run into them in corridors or accidentally backing up into them, so they auto-shotgun a huge chunk of health off. :argh:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Okay, two charged shots against their gun arm with the pistol kill them. They drop quick with the assault rifle too if you aim at the gap in their shield. They also just seem to spend a lot of time... not blocking at all? Any elevation change also causes them to put their shield away for a bit.

But the easiest solution is just "regular plasma rifle fire until they die" from my current testing, assuming you can afford the ammo they won't fire while they're attacking you.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

GreatGreen posted:

The shield guys are awful. Barons are the only enemies in the game that scare me as much. Here's some ways to take them out.

1. Grenade behind them
2. Rocket behind them
3. Plasma Stun then then finisher
4. Gauss Cannon

Problem is when you see them you just think gently caress gently caress gently caress instead of which of the previously listed, totally effective strategies you'd most like to employ.

Honestly I haven't had a problem with them on nightmare. Just hit a explosive shotgun shot behindown them is an instant gib.

Take advantage that their move speed is really slow and they are only a threat at close range. Deal with the other bigger baddies and then shotgun explode them. Easy peezy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Morter posted:

The reason I hate them is not becauase they're hard to take out, but I only seem to run into them in corridors or accidentally backing up into them, so they auto-shotgun a huge chunk of health off. :argh:

Yeah that was my problem with them as well. It was mostly solved when I took the stun shot though.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah I was gonna say I picked it up level 2.

But actually even just regular plasma shots take down their shield really quick, at least on UV I just power right through them with plasma bullets without any problem, assuming there's only one. Does a fully charged pistol actually knows out their shield too? Just an idea.

Or you just strafe them.

Seriously though I never did take the stun bomb, and have never really had a problem with them. Those who do, I honestly wonder - how much worse does it get for you when you start fighting pinkies, since those are functionally just beefier shield dudes?

Pinkies don't have ranged attacks to whittle you down with, so funny enough Pikies are often an easier problem to deal with.

Also, their shields are apparently twice as durable as a hell knight on HMP.

Of all my stupid deaths, a shield guy has not been one of them. But you have to Remember, the usual suggested methods are all way less accessible in the early game where they are the most frequent.

Grenade recharge is abysmal, and if you botch the toss you are out of luck for a good 30 seconds even if you get the first recharge asap. Early game plasma stun requires foreknowledge, and you still have to hope it doesn't wing something else playing secret service on the way (And again, early game levels of upgrades on waiting for another shot). Chainsaws have limited fuel, popping off an explosive shot with the shotgun and not quite landing it close enough to take them out from behind leaves you with early game rechare and early game ammo supply, etc.

Above all though, their shields are WAY too durable to reasonably consider "LOL just shoot it!" in any way an option. And by the time you have the rocket launcher, you should already be built up past the point where they pose a threat beyond annoyance due to having so many options to use if one wiffs.

I just swung back into Hurt Me Plenty with my maxed out doomguy. You talk up how "easy" it is to destroy their shields, so I'm sure you can guess how many maxed out with cluster bomb direct hit shotgun grenades it took me to kill a shield guy by shooting their shield. right?

Well, I don't know. Because I stopped bothering after 4. It took 4 direct, maximum power grenade shots to break their shield. Then, thinking I had killed them due to how BBQ crisped they were after eating more firepower than a hell knight in HMP can survive, I got to see them finish reeling back and pop up a brand new fresh shield two seconds later.

For reference, two direct hits with cluster grenade shot on HMP sets a hell knight up for a glory kill.

Break it with a pistol? Wowie zowie.

GlyphGryph posted:

Okay, two charged shots against their gun arm with the pistol kill them. They drop quick with the assault rifle too if you aim at the gap in their shield. They also just seem to spend a lot of time... not blocking at all? Any elevation change also causes them to put their shield away for a bit.

But the easiest solution is just "regular plasma rifle fire until they die" from my current testing, assuming you can afford the ammo they won't fire while they're attacking you.
Oh okay you're of the mindset of using Robocop like precision as the solution to a basic early game enemy.

Yes, you CAN land curveballs to explode them. But that still doesn't change the fact their shield is still twice as durable as a Hell Knight, and will swiftly recharge on top.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 30, 2016

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

When do you first run into the shield guys? Isn't it like at the end of level 2? Unless my memory is tricking me, I remember finding a plasma gun in a secret in 2, and either a drone to get the stun bomb right away, or at least in 3. I certainly remember making the connection that shield guys (and everyone else) are weak to stun bombs.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I just throw a frag grenade past them.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Morter posted:

When do you first run into the shield guys? Isn't it like at the end of level 2? Unless my memory is tricking me, I remember finding a plasma gun in a secret in 2, and either a drone to get the stun bomb right away, or at least in 3. I certainly remember making the connection that shield guys (and everyone else) are weak to stun bombs.

They first show up in the end of level 2, in the home stretch to the Vega terminal.

Earliest chance at stun bombs is picking up an early plasma gun in level 2, saving the drone for that level until you get the plasma gun. Really, the most optimal path through the level, getting all the secrets has you saving the drone for the assault rifle or plasma rifle, since you're going to be running past it at least one more time after unlocking the security station to get at the secret right next to the drone.

Like, you're already getting one shotgun mod in the first level, so you might as well hold onto it to mod something else after unlocking the yellow key doors.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I think I actually did just that because I didn't want the charged shots mod for the shotgun, after having already gotten the noobtube.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Does anyone know if its possible to have a trigger in snapmap change the effect of the current room? like change it from dark to nightvision, or cold, or whatever when a button is pressed? The logic stuff of snapmap is so complex, I can't barely make a terminal open a door.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Man, I hit restart level and it somehow reset some of my progress on the two levels before it. If you weren't so enjoyable, game, I might be more mad. :V

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Samurai Sanders posted:

Having looked at a lot of spectrograms in grad school (of people's voices though) I am really not sure how someone can do that.

people do it all the time, Aphex Twin hid his face in one of his tracks

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm replaying the Advanced Research Complex and just realized it foreshadows something from the ending of the game.

At the very end of the game, Samuel Hayden takes the Crucible from you and "ignites" it, revealing that it's a sword with a huge blade. Earlier in the game, in Samuel Hayden's office in the Advanced Research Complex, is a stone carving depicting the Crucible with the blade ignited.

I didn't notice it on my first playthrough.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Xenomrph posted:

I'm replaying the Advanced Research Complex and just realized it foreshadows something from the ending of the game.

At the very end of the game, Samuel Hayden takes the Crucible from you and "ignites" it, revealing that it's a sword with a huge blade. Earlier in the game, in Samuel Hayden's office in the Advanced Research Complex, is a stone carving depicting the Crucible with the blade ignited.

I didn't notice it on my first playthrough.

I only noticed that on my second playthrough also and I wish I would've seen it the first time around. It would've made a great game even better.

I think funny enough though that if they would have hung it up somewhere like right behind Samuel's Desk on the window, or somewhere much more prominent, it might have been too obvious.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

gently caress.
The very last level (Argent D'Nur) is literally impossible for me to play thru. Since I crash-to-desktop about 5 minutes in.
Happens once I kill a Summoner and the sound of it screaming plays really loud, like it's right next to me, a couple of times then the game crashes :catstare:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

wayne curr posted:

gently caress.
The very last level (Argent D'Nur) is literally impossible for me to play thru. Since I crash-to-desktop about 5 minutes in.
Happens once I kill a Summoner and the sound of it screaming plays really loud, like it's right next to me, a couple of times then the game crashes :catstare:

Setting the rendering scale to the minimum of 50% solved my crashing issues when they happened during big fight scenes. Maybe give that a shot?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
My map is done, half the scripting broke and I kind of just stopped caring so here:

SnapMap ID: DRL4JD7V

You get to play as a Baron of Hell.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOAGjzyrp80

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3l-beM7lg0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEFbz50PK74

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

lmao @ "Doom is a repetitive shooting gallery"

e: I found that guys issue. He just runs through the levels. He only has like 4 guns at the argent tower level. He probably doesn't explore anything at all.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 30, 2016

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Michaellaneous posted:

e: I found that guys issue. He just runs through the levels. He only has like 4 guns at the argent tower level. He probably doesn't explore anything at all.
Making the player look upwards is one of the absolute hardest things a 3D game developer can try to do.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Michaellaneous posted:

Someone get that guy a job at Polygon!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Linguica posted:

the Doom Slayer graphic ripped straight from the resource file, for funsies I guess

This is on Hayden's desk when you go into his office. It's in the game.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Is there a post somewhere covering technical advice? The game has started to chug for me from the second mission on, and I'm running a reasonably beefy computer.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Anticheese posted:

Is there a post somewhere covering technical advice? The game has started to chug for me from the second mission on, and I'm running a reasonably beefy computer.

It suddenly went from 72 FPS to 36 one day. What I did was install the latest NVidia drivers and brought my in-game graphical settings to default, then cranked them back up to the highest. It's back to 72.

Morter fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 30, 2016

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

lite_sleepr posted:

This is on Hayden's desk when you go into his office. It's in the game.

Are you trying to suggest that Linguica didn't know that? Because, uh.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

AirRaid posted:

Are you trying to suggest that Linguica didn't know that? Because, uh.

No. Just saying in case anyone wanted to know where to find it in the game.

Because, uh? Is Linguica an authority on Retard4?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

lite_sleepr posted:

Isn't it also present as an image in the third Doom Marine codex entry?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I just noticed that when you drop down after getting the BFG, Doomguy makes sure he still has the gun before examining himself for any injuries. :allears:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I finally managed to find some Multiplayer matches yesterday. It's all right. Kind of pointless to have all those projectile or slow weapons when almost everyone uses the Chaingun and/or Rocket Launcher though.

lite_sleepr posted:

Is Linguica an authority on Retard4?

Linguica runs Retardworld.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

lite_sleepr posted:

:laugh:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

lite_sleepr posted:

He's pretty much an authority on Doom in general, but that's not what I meant. More that it's hilariously obvious where it is in the game, and really really hard to miss.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
So it turns out DOOM does some weird stuff with widescreen, and the weapon models end up all stretched and weird looking.

I saw someone mention the Flawless Widescreen plugin, and it makes a big difference.

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 30, 2016

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Sub-60fps in an empty corridor isn't really my cup of tea.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Michaellaneous posted:

It's still pretty drat repetitive.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

NESguerilla posted:

It's still pretty drat repetitive.

I felt like it was juuust starting to wear out its welcome when it came to an end. Perfectly paced all the way through, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm feeling a little burned out in Mission 10. Game is good but it doesn't really have many tricks up it's sleeve and man I'm getting tired of the scenery.