Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
What's the deal with the matchmaking system in this game? I keep ending up in matches where literally everyone else is 20 to 30 levels higher than me, and getting crushed by them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

NoDamage posted:

What's the deal with the matchmaking system in this game? I keep ending up in matches where literally everyone else is 20 to 30 levels higher than me, and getting crushed by them.
It's likely (possibly confirmed) based on hidden MMR that's taking a while to calibrate. Time played is going to correlate with skill but don't assume someone's level directly maps to how good they are.

e: vv Yeah, if they're factoring playtime directly into MMR, they hosed up.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 11:53 on May 30, 2016

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

I think a level 5 playing a Lucio in an average game and trying to play the objective could very well be more of a net positive to the team than a guy who plays 60% Hanzo and 40% Widowmaker 10 hours a day shouting "we need a healer". And thus should be higher in the MMR. I don't know how Blizzard is trying to configure the match-making, but it should be way more complicated than levels. A few months from now, there will be massive differences in levels, but that guy playing 5 hours a week can still be REALLY good.

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 11:53 on May 30, 2016

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Holy poo poo I need to join some pre-mades or something. My QyickPlay winrate is like 30%.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Today I learned that having Armor (Torb armor) actually transfers it's durability to any shields you may have on top of that armor.
This makes Zarya with a 200H/75A/200S + her extra 200 Absorb shield a monster to deal with.

A 3 man setup of Zarya/Torb and a healer (Mercy or Zenyetta) is much stronger than I first thought it would be.

Another thing is that when playing Winston on defense I found myself completely disrupting and demolishing the enemy squishies, however the after game statistics were not so favorable for the playstyle.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Is that based on actual testing of some sort? If so I'd be interested in actually seeing supporting evidence. As far as I'm aware it isn't true, but since shields go before armor the torb armor sticks around longer if you are good at managing your health. Also Zarya's shield skill is special and doesn't bleed damage over the cap into your actual health, so against burst damage she can absorb over 200.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I had a rather enjoyable game yesterday with goons in which we stormed the last point with 5 Winston's on Overtime.

It was rather funny and chaotic at the same time.

Thanks goons! :)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Your Computer posted:

If I wasn't such a thin-skinned baby I'd roll in solo queue using only Mercy's pistol because it's so drat fun to use :(

When I'm playing as Mercy and it's clear that my team is dogshit and we're guaranteed to lose anyway, I switch to using the pistol with her for practice. If your team is all flankers and snipers, Mercy probably won't be great to use. I'll probably also do this with Bastion's Recon mode too.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

bara godzilla posted:

tf2's sentries definitely deal more damage, but between the fact that overwatch turrets having infinite range, and the fact that tf2 has ubercharges, im honestly more bothered by torb's turrets

Torb turret has a range of 40m. It says so in a death tip

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

WMain00 posted:

I had a rather enjoyable game yesterday with goons in which we stormed the last point with 5 Winston's on Overtime.

It's a pro tactic for real pros.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Played with Hanzo a bit and it seems like they ripped most of his abilities directly from Ashe in League of Legends. One or two similar abilities could be a coincidence, but they're both archers with:
An ability that fires multiple arrows at once.
An arrow that reveals enemies near where it lands.
An ultimate with infinite range that goes through terrain.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

TheTatteredKing posted:

Torb turret has a range of 40m. It says so in a death tip
What is a 'meter' in this game? What does that even mean? What is the distance of a meter in overwatch?!? The sentry in TF2 had a very short range of 1000 or so HU (hammer units,) it was very easy to be outside the sentry range in any map. In TF2 an engie couldn't plop a sentry down and expect it to kill dudes on the other side of a map's 'yard' arena as separated by z-connectors.

The sentry range is too long. Kind of a problem with bastion too, there shouldn't be a class that can deal so much hitscan damage at any range. That's no excuse for the bastion potgs with your teammates getting ambushed in inexcusable ways or just charging in like morons, but I mean the lack of sentry/bastion falloff is a design problem in both cases.

WMain00 posted:

Did you start the match with 5 winstons? I'm probably thinking of a different game from the other day.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Played with Hanzo a bit and it seems like they ripped most of his abilities directly from Ashe in League of Legends. One or two similar abilities could be a coincidence, but they're both archers with:

I refuse to believe someone would be stupid enough to say this seriously so I assume you're trolling.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I accept the last two posts as evidence to remove Hanzo, Bastion, Widomaker and McCree. Get on it Blizz.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Turns out there's only so many thematic abilities to do with arrows, and that League of Legends did not invent any of them.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

From my experience 40m stretches don't even exist in the maps in any meaningful way.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My favorite PotGs are when I go Symmetra and passively kill 3-4 people while my screen is looking at corners to place sentries.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Weak troll, 2/10

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

quote:

Did you start the match with 5 winstons? I'm probably thinking of a different game from the other day.

Nah we ended it with 5 because things weren't going well so we decided to just have a laugh.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I'm getting good at working out how to walk a team of pubbies to victory. Reinhart and other heavies? Go Lucio and run them around. Mostly squishies or a good enemy sniper? Teleporters to get their dead asses back to the point. And of course Mercy if they are decent and can avoid outright dieing on every fight.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

The 40m range appears to be roughly the size of the room that hanamura point B is in. I know if a torb has a turret in the top left you can shoot it from the opposite sides without it firing back.

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
Are there any eurogoons in the discord/anywhere else? Not being able to play/add people cross-region sucks. I mean, if I can shoot mans with 150 ping in csgo I'm sure I could hande putting up a shield or keeping a beam on people.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kehveli posted:

Are there any eurogoons in the discord/anywhere else? Not being able to play/add people cross-region sucks. I mean, if I can shoot mans with 150 ping in csgo I'm sure I could hande putting up a shield or keeping a beam on people.

Yes. Most of us have EU next to our nicknames on Discord when we're on. Log on and I'll friend ya.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Kehveli posted:

Check the OP, rows 1 and 3 :smugdon:

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend

Bolivar posted:

Check the OP, rows 1 and 3 :smugdon:

I could have done that but I didn't and here we are :tipshat:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Knuckled down and played a bit this evening. If you remember my whining before, I'm 40ish with a ruined shoulder (and half deaf... I didn't even realize footsteps were a thing until someone mentioned it in the thread, but I'm still useless with position audio. No wonder I get flanked so easily...) and managed one win in around six hours or so.16% win rate! :suicide: Yeah that was rather disheartening.

But... at the end of it it seems like I had enough games for the MMR to clue into the fact that I am literally useless and finally started putting me in games with other window-licking slowbrains. It got a lot more fun for those last few games, and even managed some (comparatively) useful gameplay. Hopefully this wasn't just random luck and it finally settled me into the right brackets... guess I'll find out if that W/L ratio goes up this evening.

The sadder thing is being grouped with other incompetents means the chat got infinitely more scathing and horrible, lots of raging out and slurs and mockery and stuff. Though it was hilarious to see a teammate mock the other team for being ~bads~, when I knew full well that he was just as useless due to being teamed with me...

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Sanctum posted:

What is a 'meter' in this game? What does that even mean? What is the distance of a meter in overwatch?!? The sentry in TF2 had a very short range of 1000 or so HU (hammer units,) it was very easy to be outside the sentry range in any map. In TF2 an engie couldn't plop a sentry down and expect it to kill dudes on the other side of a map's 'yard' arena as separated by z-connectors.

There are several areas in the testing map that have markers on the ground indicating distance.

Here is a visual representation of 40 meters in-game.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 30, 2016

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Just gonna drop my sick play of sick sickness in here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtELZLqrU_w

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Having Arcade be the launch week brawl was the dumbest descision you could possibly do, when you had a mode already that would teach people the heroes in the random hero on death one.

Honestly wish random heros was a mode you could just pick but choosing gamemodes is so 1997 and I appreciate the guided experience givin to me by Blizzard.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
is it just me or is are you almost guaranteed to end up on the commend screen as zarya long as you hit e whenever a dude is gettin hit

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

anime was right posted:

is it just me or is are you almost guaranteed to end up on the commend screen on zarya long as you hit e whenever a dude is gettin hit

This is to balance out the fact that your ult will give everyone else play of the game.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
So Torbjörn's gun is way OP, why is no one talking about this. If the Torbjörn's player can aim it's really OP.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Everyone is banking on it staying the way it is and win the next tournament by going all torb and retiring to fake Sweden, that's why you don't see him played more often they don't want the secret out. shhh

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Consider me on the 'soldier dad is a great pick' train as well. All-round good and self-sufficient but also good for the team.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Torbjorn's burp intro is real good and I don't know why everyone has the other ones.

Oh yeah, I got a legend cash stack. 500 coins. Neat.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Gunslinger Engineer was by far the most fun way to play him though.

Torb's turret is specifically designed to not be something that will ever hold a point on its own. I think one of the tips even says you won't be able to repair damage faster than it accumulates most of the time. Torb himself is a decent fighter but its still frustrating when you can't get a single turret up cause he's a lot less effective without your autoaim distraction.

Also it annoys me that you can't rotate the turret which makes placing it in certain areas really annoying.

In my experience Winston either does really good or is totally ineffective.

So does the turret have a field of fire? It always seems like it is 360 to me?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

Is that based on actual testing of some sort? If so I'd be interested in actually seeing supporting evidence. As far as I'm aware it isn't true, but since shields go before armor the torb armor sticks around longer if you are good at managing your health. Also Zarya's shield skill is special and doesn't bleed damage over the cap into your actual health, so against burst damage she can absorb over 200.

From the Wiki (I know this isn't considered actual testing, i'll try it out tonight)

quote:

While a hero has any number of armor points remaining, every instance of damage they receive will be reduced by a flat 5 points. However, for instances of damage less than 10 points each, the damage cannot be reduced below half the base damage. For weapons that fire multiple projectiles at once, such as Reaper's Hellfire Shotguns or D.Va's Fusion Cannons, armor applies once for each individual pellet.

Despite the 50% reduction limitation, armor is most effective at reducing the effect of low-damage, high-rate-of-fire attacks such as Tracer's Pulse Pistols or Soldier 76's Heavy Pulse Rifle.

This would also mean a Zarya putting her E-shield on any other character with armor adds more than the 400hp the shield normally provides. (for two whole seconds)

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

sorry, torbjorn's turret has An Exact Range Of Exactly Forty Meters, but seeing as that covers basically any meaningful placement in the entire game, i used the word "infinite" as exaggerated shorthand, i'm sorry everybody. Sorry

e: also by no means do i find the range too long or torbjorn overpowered (lmao), i'm just saying they have a more threatening presence to me, personally, as an individual. thanks for listening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
To the five other goons who I played with last night for four hours, it was real fun!

The five dwarf sons and father Lucio. (who took this pic? I got it from AVolcano and he said he didn't take it)