Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Well, at least a dev has responded to the instakilled python video:

:frontear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZN_yZ07-18

Can someone explain the video to me? Because at 00:36 in that video, the NPC is heading towards the player and and in INFO it says "Thermal attack: Gaining heat". The heat just goes down until the ship suddenly explodes at 00:48.
But the NPC hasn't even been facing the player for 12 seconds? Is it firing something from a turret?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

tunah posted:

Can someone explain the video to me? Because at 00:36 in that video, the NPC is heading towards the player and and in INFO it says "Thermal attack: Gaining heat". The heat just goes down until the ship suddenly explodes at 00:48.
But the NPC hasn't even been facing the player for 12 seconds? Is it firing something from a turret?
The NPC flies past him and gets on his tail. The Vulture is one of the most most agile ships in the game and the Python is a fatty bum bum, so this part's okay in my book.

It's what the NPC does when it gets on his tail that's puzzling. A bugged weapon would be my guess.

edit: actually no you're right, re-watched and the NPC doesn't seem to be facing him at all. Unless I'm misinterpreting the HUD, the top side of the Vulture was though, so a gimbled weapon might be able to reach that far.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 30, 2016

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

tooterfish posted:

The NPC flies past him and gets on his tail. The Vulture is one of the most most agile ships in the game and the Python is a fatty bum bum, so this part's okay in my book.

It's what the NPC does when it gets on his tail that's puzzling. A bugged weapon would be my guess.

There are other videos of NPCs spewing out PAC rounds like it's comming from a multicannon as well as a beam laser with a shotgun spread. You can see the vulture fire a PAC right before he gets behind the python so my guess is the multipac bug.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Astroniomix posted:

There are other videos of NPCs spewing out PAC rounds like it's comming from a multicannon as well as a beam laser with a shotgun spread. You can see the vulture fire a PAC right before he gets behind the python so my guess is the multipac bug.

I had an NPC iClipper firing a shitload of PACs at my Python. All missed because of the crazy wide hardpoint locations but if those were on any regular ship I'd have been dead, no two ways about it.

I'm... hmm, regretting not keeping a Python lying around with a Bi-Weave. Because gently caress combat in general at the moment. I think I just want to run from everything if it's going to be this widely unpredictable.

tunah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZN_yZ07-18

Sure, it's a normal fight with an NPC that slips past the Python. Which then explodes in seconds for some unexplained reason.

And Frontier goes: :salt: LOL "git gud" etc etc. :salt:

Personally I want to call bullshit. Even with zero armor and no shields I'd expect a longer kill time than that.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 30, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I wish combat was that quick for legit players in this game :sigh:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Removing Bi-Weave shields is dumb as gently caress and I really hope it's just an oversight and not something deliberate

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Hmm "threat zero wreck what could possibly go wrong?"

*gets jumped by a wing of 3 pirates immediately on entering instance*

Insert name here posted:

Removing Bi-Weave shields is dumb as gently caress and I really hope it's just an oversight and not something deliberate

Agreed but it sure sounds deliberate. And dumb.

This whole engineers update reeks of "great ideas but it really needed some loving testing and balance passes".

Or maybe they could have listened to the feedback of the people who did test it instead of ignoring everything. I don't know.

My next USS was five winged hostiles that attacked instantly at "level 2". My advice? Get into your fast ships so you can bug out ASAP.
No loving around anymore, I'm back in the military hulled FDL since gently caress this poo poo.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 30, 2016

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Literally Kermit posted:

It's better: that is the woman who works on AI.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Amazing.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
So what positive changes did the update bring? AI seems a bit overtuned and buggy, engineers is just another insane grind on top of the grind, missions aren't that much different and buggy. Doesn't leave a whole lot to cheer for.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The new small ship thrusters are insane and great and awesome and epic. And small ships are cheap and easy to fit.

If you want to fly large ships you're still pretty much hosed, because gently caress that grind (where's my offline mode so I can cheat :arghfist:), but why would you want to fly a space truck when you can fly a space F-14??

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

RabidWeasel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_6HjebZFYs

Some kind of RoF bug + AI having infinite ammo, energy and no heat buildup from shooting = hello plasma accelerator multicannon! This probably explains those "my Python just instantly melted" videos :v:
Found another great video of this bug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dHdsYrmKnM
Watch his loving shields and hull just melt

I uh, think I'm gonna sit this patch out until they fix some things

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Insert name here posted:

:staredog:
Haha holy poo poo. I'd like to see them explain that one.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Insert name here posted:

Holy poo poo frontier please try to rationalize with only haing 1.5 pips in sys. A capital ship wouldnt be able to deal with that sort of fire power

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Insert name here posted:

thats been around for a while about 4 months ago i undocked from Lave in my hauler, and it said "You are under Attack" then kaboom - I had been killed by some Cmdr as i was undocking with a cargo hold full of rares and i didnt even have time to hit Boost.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I guess that's what happens in the other instant-death video then. :ms:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_6HjebZFYs

:allears:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
So Elite's now a bullet hell game :v:

What the hell is going on? Are the Engineer mods given to the NPC's set to have randomly rolled stats and somehow they land on improbable numbers?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

WebDog posted:

So Elite's now a bullet hell game :v:

What the hell is going on? Are the Engineer mods given to the NPC's set to have randomly rolled stats and somehow they land on improbable numbers?

I would play the poo poo out of Elite Dangerous: Tyrian 2000 Edition

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Looks like maybe C3 multicannons are bugged for NPC's and they shoot plasma instead?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Insert name here posted:

Yeah nope. As if I needed more reasons not to play.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
gently caress playing till that is fixed. How is this not an emergency patch situation? How can they sit on Twitter going LOL ALL FINE?!

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Wait, I haven't paid all that much attention since the patch, so the fact that I couldn't find bi-weave shields to buy was because they aren't for sale anymore? Wtf

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

TTerrible posted:

gently caress playing till that is fixed. How is this not an emergency patch situation?

No one was in the office for the weekend I think. Bank holiday or sth (which btw makes the 2.1 release day a pretty retarded thing to plan the way they did).
It is a bug, they will fix it.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 30, 2016

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

I still enjoy the space game.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
Someone earlier in the game had an awesome idea that I think I'm going to take up.

I'm gonna nope the hell out of the bubble while they sort out chaingun plasma accelerators and laser shotguns. Seeya in the black.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

DancingShade posted:

:staredog:
Haha holy poo poo. I'd like to see them explain that one.
A rare case of plasma diarrhea.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Conskill posted:

Someone earlier in the game had an awesome idea that I think I'm going to take up.

I'm gonna nope the hell out of the bubble while they sort out chaingun plasma accelerators and laser shotguns. Seeya in the black.

I hear tell there are baddies outside the bubble now...

:spooky:

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Akion posted:

I hear tell there are baddies outside the bubble now...

:spooky:

If I get hit by anything less than a Thargoid after a thousand lightyears I'm calling bullshit.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Well then look out for those Elite FdL pirates that can match your asp jump for jump!

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Well then look out for those Elite FdL pirates that can match your asp jump for jump!

My favorite encounter for the weekend was 3 Elite FDLs spawning in a Threat 0 USS.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Insert name here posted:

Can't stop laughing. It's like a plasma MG42.

People need to lighten the gently caress up, this bug is hilarious.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Holy poo poo.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

I love the part at the end where it's just pissing plama into the wreckage for good measure

timn
Mar 16, 2010

tooterfish posted:

Can't stop laughing. It's like a plasma MG42.

People need to lighten the gently caress up, this bug is hilarious.

For real, eating poo poo to that in my Corvette would absolutely make my day. I wouldn't even be mad about the 30mil rebuy.

Related, I spent some time in RES for the CG and I regret to inform everyone that the game is actually still fun. Sorry guys.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

timn posted:

Related, I spent some time in RES for the CG and I regret to inform everyone that the game is actually still fun. Sorry guys.

I spilled 100 tonnes of beer into empty space and all I got was a good laugh.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Someone make a photoshop of the "scientist baffled by man's ability to continuously gently caress up" but photoshop the old picture of EE-sama and change it to braben or the frontier logo.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

Someone make a photoshop of the "scientist baffled by man's ability to continuously gently caress up" but photoshop the old picture of EE-sama and change it to braben or the frontier logo.

Or you could :fuckoff:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Those two uberweapons were definitely not in beta. This means two things.

1. Weird bug that coupled with a bump in NPC AI made the game into a sadistic rogue-lite.
2. These are high tier weapons from one of the engineers that Frontier DID NOT let us test (we only got access to some of them).

I don't know which of the two categories would make the outcome more hilarious.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

You're lucky I've been working on my photoshop skills:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Hey guys, I was away from my computer on the weekend, how's Engin-

:yikes:

• Locked thread