Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Primary concern seems alarmist to me as well. I'd translate more as "subject of/to", which how I read it. Target or primary concern makes it sound more like the act is specifically mean to curb the parties activities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

I agree that's probably a more accurate translation, so I've edited the headline

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

LimburgLimbo posted:

Target or primary concern makes it sound more like the act is specifically mean to curb the parties activities.
Well considering that the JCP has been the only non-LDP/KMT party making steady gains in its Diet representation recently...

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Navaash posted:

Well considering that the JCP has been the only non-LDP/KMT party making steady gains in its Diet representation recently...

Hey I'm not gonna say that's not possible, I just don't think the headline itself suggest that haha

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pop quiz, what's the second largest political party in Japan?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is it now officially the JCP?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Is it now officially the JCP?
No, that would be much more interesting.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

it's the "Democratic Innovation" Party because of a merger between the DPJ and some other party. Of course, now they've lost all their name recognition right before an upper house election.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
Wait so they are now DIP? As in DIPshits haha.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Only the Japanese name of the party changed. They are still the Democratic Party in English. 民進党 wouldn't be DIP even if they did translate it. It would be Democratic Progressive Party, like the Taiwanese party they ripped the name off of.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr. Fix It posted:

Only the Japanese name of the party changed. They are still the Democratic Party in English.
The official English name of the 民主党 was the "Democratic Party of Japan" (DPJ), so it did change: they dropped "of Japan" from the name, and the abbreviation is now just "DP".

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 2, 2016

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

mystes posted:

The official English name of the 民主党 was the "Democratic Party of Japan" (DPJ), so it did change: they dropped "of Japan" from the name, and the abbreviation is now just "DP".

I stand corrected.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

Only the Japanese name of the party changed. They are still the Democratic Party in English. 民進党 wouldn't be DIP even if they did translate it. It would be Democratic Progressive Party, like the Taiwanese party they ripped the name off of.

I checked the Wikipedia entry, and it seems that they're going with DP as the abbreviation. Wasn't the DPJ itself the result of a merger of a few smaller centre-left parties as well?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Mr. Fix It posted:

http://www.sankei.com/politics/news/160318/plt1603180009-n1.html

Democratic Innovation Party was the proposed name for the merger. I guess they decided to go with a different English translation after being roundly mocked for being a bunch of dips.

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 3, 2016

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Now they just need a new slogan.

Like...

Japan loves DP!

DP, let's all come together.

Search for DP online today!

DP, that's what I like about Japan.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Mainichi Shimbun has this article about the number of cases reported of preventable deaths in medical treatment (which now have to be reported) being much lower than expected (1/3 of the expected number). Apparently medical professionals don't like to say that deaths were preventable. Anyway, the article has this chart that I like showing different interpretations of the requirement:

The Association of Japanese Healthcare Corporations's interpretation is hilariously narrow: "nobody thought they could possibly die," which is probably never the case during a medical procedure, and it excludes mistakes such as giving people the wrong medication because that happens sometimes and therefore can be expected.

Edit: Also, the whole debacle with Koya Nishikawa's TPP book has been amusing, especially the part where he accidentally admitted he had written it when he thought his microphone was off: http://www.news24.jp/articles/2016/04/09/04326897.html (in Japanese).

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 10, 2016

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
lollin' at 単純ミス.

Edit: can you link the mdn article?

Sheep fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 10, 2016

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

7c Nickel posted:

Now they just need a new slogan.

Like...

Japan loves DP!

DP, let's all come together.

Search for DP online today!

DP, that's what I like about Japan.

For a better tomorrow, DP today

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sheep posted:

lollin' at 単純ミス.

Edit: can you link the mdn article?
Oops, yeah here you go: http://mainichi.jp/articles/20160409/ddm/003/040/022000c

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I'm surprised that with the recent Okinawa base stuff going on that this thread hasn't had any new posts for a while. Here's an article related to recent incidents. It talks about cultural training Marines receive: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/2016/05/25/issues/u-s-marines-briefing-links-crimes-gaijin-power-okinawans-pays-complain/#.V0ZKbCSCjqB

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Japanese politics is kind of too depressing to really talk about. Here's a good youtube series that summarizes the week's news run by some expat lawyers and NGO people:

https://www.youtube.com/user/langleyesquire/videos

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 26, 2016

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Thanks! Subscribed.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Somehow I wound up on that's dude mailing list a couple years back. I met him in person once and I guess he got my email. He seems nice enough I guess although his mails are just the most breathless "you won't BELIEVE what happened in Japan this week" stuff :shrug: Also, who puts "Esquire" in their name?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Btw is the insane police mobilization this week nationwide or just in Tokyo? loving cops on every street corner, riding around on bikes, in every train station, bus station, gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse in the 23 wards, at least. They must be bringing them in from all around and working them 16 hour shifts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5fts7bj-so

It's probably a really good preview of what the Olympics are going to be like. Ugh.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Kilroy posted:

Somehow I wound up on that's dude mailing list a couple years back. I met him in person once and I guess he got my email. He seems nice enough I guess although his mails are just the most breathless "you won't BELIEVE what happened in Japan this week" stuff :shrug: Also, who puts "Esquire" in their name?

Lawyers, it's usually used to indicate that you are an attorney in my experience

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Kilroy posted:

Btw is the insane police mobilization this week nationwide or just in Tokyo? loving cops on every street corner, riding around on bikes, in every train station, bus station, gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse in the 23 wards, at least. They must be bringing them in from all around and working them 16 hour shifts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5fts7bj-so

It's probably a really good preview of what the Olympics are going to be like. Ugh.

I live in Funabashi and haven't noticed anything but I heard Chiba station was like Tokyo. Lots of foreigners being stopped and asked to show ID.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Dr.Radical posted:

I live in Funabashi and haven't noticed anything but I heard Chiba station was like Tokyo. Lots of foreigners being stopped and asked to show ID.
I got asked by one if I was visiting Japan and I sort of gruffly replied that I was going to work and then turned away from him. That was the end of it.

Pretty sure he was just making small talk and I was an rear end in a top hat :ohdear:

paragon1 posted:

Lawyers, it's usually used to indicate that you are an attorney in my experience
If you live in 18th century England, sure. Otherwise it's marker of a little too much eccentricity.

He's not licensed to practice law in Japan though.

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 27, 2016

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Kilroy posted:

If you live in 18th century England, sure. Otherwise it's marker of a little too much eccentricity.

He's not licensed to practice law in Japan though.

Langley Esquire is the name of his legal services firm. It's not the name he uses generally.

Him not being licensed in Japan has more to do with the fact that foreigners can't just go and sit the Japanese bar exam, and even the 392 foreign lawyers who have registered with the Japanese bar since they first enacted the system in 1986 are severely limited in what they can actually do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attorney_at_foreign_law

Generally he acts as a go-between for foreign people/companies who need to interact with the Japanese legal system and Japanese people/companies who need to interact with international legal systems.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 30, 2016

mystes
May 31, 2006

ErIog posted:

foreigners can't just go and sit the Japanese bar exam
Are you sure about this?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

mystes posted:

Are you sure about this?

I'm not sure about recently, but I doubt you could in the early 80's when Langley was attempting to do it.

If you have source that says otherwise I'd be willing to read it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ErIog posted:

I'm not sure about recently, but I doubt you could in the early 80's when Langley was attempting to do it.

pre edit quote

mystes
May 31, 2006

ErIog posted:

I don't have a source that specifically says "in the early 80's it was possible for foreigners to take the bar exam," but if you have a source that indicates there was previously ever a citizenship requirement to take the bar exam at a certain point in time, perhaps I could work from there to determine when that changed?

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 30, 2016

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Stringent posted:

pre edit quote

If someone were to be a huge pedantic rear end in a top hat then yes, the statement, "foreigners can't just go sit the Japanese bar exam," is probably false in 2016. If you actually go look at what becoming a full member of the Japanese bar entails along with the pass rates now(and in the early 1980's when Langley was attempting to do so), I think you'll find that the structure of the system does a good job of keeping foreigners out.

Like I said, there's 392 registered foreign members of the bar in a country of around 130 million people. The number of foreigners among the ~34,000 regular members of the par is probably even smaller than that. In a country as large as Japan is with an economy as large as it is you would think there would be more foreign members of the bar.

So it just depends on your point of view. If you want to go full Politifact "there will still be a program called Medicare," on it then yes, you could easily prove me wrong. That misses the overall point, though.

mystes posted:

I don't have a source that specifically says "in the early 80's it was possible for foreigners to take the bar exam," but if you have a source that indicates there was previously ever a citizenship requirement to take the bar exam at a certain point in time, perhaps I could work from there to determine when that changed?

While I doubt there was ever a citizenship requirement in modern times, the Japanese bar system has a number of requirements in place that make it de facto Japanese only. Every time talk of reform has come up, the legal trade groups all fearmonger about how foreigners are going to sue everyone imaginable if you let them practice law in Japan.

http://www.jpri.org/publications/critiques/critique_II_9.html
https://jurisjapan.com/2011/02/13/getting-to-%E5%A4%96%E5%BC%81-or-so-you-want-to-be-a-lawyer-in-japan/
http://www.japantoday.com/category/business/view/foreign-lawyers-fight-for-reform-in-japan

Generally the way most foreigners cope with this is the same way Langley did. He has a law license back home. He has experience from his career. He can put together a good business doing what he does. I doubt not being a full member of the Japanese bar is really holding someone like him back.

However, it would be nice if there were more of a level playing field for foreign lawyers wanting to practice in Japan.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 30, 2016

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

edit: W post

mystes
May 31, 2006

ErIog posted:

While I doubt there was ever a citizenship requirement in modern times, the Japanese bar system has a number of requirements in place that make it de facto Japanese only. Every time talk of reform has come up, the legal trade groups all fearmonger about how foreigners are going to sue everyone imaginable if you let them practice law in Japan.

http://www.jpri.org/publications/critiques/critique_II_9.html
https://jurisjapan.com/2011/02/13/getting-to-%E5%A4%96%E5%BC%81-or-so-you-want-to-be-a-lawyer-in-japan/
http://www.japantoday.com/category/business/view/foreign-lawyers-fight-for-reform-in-japan

Generally the way most foreigners cope with this is the same way Langley did. He has a law license back home. He has experience from his career. He can put together a good business doing what he does. I doubt not being a full member of the Japanese bar is really holding someone like him back.

However, it would be nice if there were more of a level playing field for foreign lawyers wanting to practice in Japan.
Based on the three links you have listed, your primary concerns seem to be 1) the test is hard for people who aren't native Japanese speakers, and 2) there are limits on foreign law firms or foreign attorneys who aren't admitted to the bar in Japan.

Therefore, out of curiosity, how would you like the playing field to be made more level? By allowing foreigners admitted in other countries to practice Japanese law in Japan without passing the bar exam? Or, by allowing foreigners to take the bar exam in their native language?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mystes posted:

Based on the three links you have listed, your primary concerns seem to be 1) the test is hard for people who aren't native Japanese speakers, and 2) there are limits on foreign law firms or foreign attorneys who aren't admitted to the bar in Japan.

Therefore, out of curiosity, how would you like the playing field to be made more level? By allowing foreigners admitted in other countries to practice Japanese law in Japan without passing the bar exam? Or, by allowing foreigners to take the bar exam in their native language?

Replace bar exam with Phoenix Wright games for filthy gaijin.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

They're not "my concerns." I'm not going to put together a policy document for you. I'm not a lawyer, and I'm not going to pretend I know how to fix it.

Thankfully, there are actual lawyers who have written about this very topic that you can go read the opinions of if you bother to Google. The first article I linked makes some good points about Japan not playing fair when it comes to reciprocity with the New York bar, and I'm sure there's lots of other lessons to learn from how more open countries have implemented their law licensing.

Law licensing in Japan is a protectionist racket by design. That protectionism has a disproportionate impact on foreigners. There's more lawyers in single states of the US than the entirety of Japan. It has nothing to do with language. A person motivated enough to want to be a Japanese lawyer would probably be able to learn Japanese just fine. Learning Japanese would probably be the easier part of their study.

Toshimo posted:

Replace bar exam with Phoenix Wright games for filthy gaijin.

The parts of Phoenix Wright that were cut/pasted from the Japanese legal system would horrify you.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 30, 2016

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Since the Japanese legal system relies almost entirely on coerced confessions (99% prosecution success rate :lol:), it would seem like a lawyer's position there is more of a formality, or to keep up appearances.

mystes
May 31, 2006

ErIog posted:

They're not "my concerns." I'm not going to put together a policy document for you. I'm not a lawyer, and I'm not going to pretend I know how to fix it.

Thankfully, there are actual lawyers who have written about this very topic that you can go read the opinions of if you bother to Google. The first article I linked makes some good points about Japan not playing fair when it comes to reciprocity with the New York bar, and I'm sure there's lots of other lessons to learn from how more open countries have implemented their law licensing.

Law licensing in Japan is a protectionist racket by design. That protectionism has a disproportionate impact on foreigners. There's more lawyers in single states of the US than the entirety of Japan. It has nothing to do with language. A person motivated enough to want to be a Japanese lawyer would probably be able to learn Japanese just fine. Learning Japanese would probably be the easier part of their study.

The really crazy thing is how close Phoenix Wright is to the actual Japanese legal system.
The New York Bar waives the requirement to have graduated from law school. There is no such requirement for foreigners taking the bar exam in Japan in the first place. Therefore, I don't see how they are "not playing fair when it comes to reciprocity." Also, while that article complains that it's unfair that the Japanese exam makes Japanese language ability more important than in many US states' bar exams, this was written before the Japanese bar exam was changed in a way that apparently had a similar effect, so I'm not sure that this issue is relevant now.

quote:

Yes, the Japanese bar exam is much, much harder than the US one, and as a result there are fewer lawyers than in the US system, which turns out zillions of lawyers every year who then become unemployed or work low-paying temp jobs without benefits and can't pay back their massive loans. You still haven't pointed out any way that the Japanese bar exam is unfairly hard for foreigners, though.

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Japan being protectionist for domestic products and services? Oddly has formal and informal policies that by chance excludes foreigners?

Gonna need some third party verification of this.