Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Otisburg posted:

It someone raises my opinion of the Great Unwashed masses that you can't just release absolute garbage and bank on putting the names of the two most recognizable characters in fiction behind Jesus and Santa Claus to carry you to box office domination.

But I guess if your promotional campaign is halfway decent then combining that with the ridiculously high brand recognition/nostalgia will at least bring in a shitload of presale ticket purchases which will elevate the opening box office to the point where the movie can limp across the finish line to make a profit even if pretty much the entire first weekend audience immediately rushes online and tells everyone to avoid the film., which is what happened here.

Pretty much the only difference between ticket sales on BvS and Man Of Steel and even Superman Returns is that BvS had a HUGE opening, the other films flatlined after 4 weeks as well:

DC just can't get audiences to sustain any sort of interest in their Superman films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
When movies make that much money, like in Guardians or Deadpool, is it from people who are convinced to see it, or is it from repeat viewings?

Conversely, when BvS fails to make a dramatic impact, is it because a lot of people were convinced to never even see it for the first time, or is it from people only ever watching it once?

I ask because I've watched some real stinkers, BvS included, but I never watch movies twice (much as I sometimes want to), and knowing that BvS was real bad didn't discourage from wanting to see the trainwreck regardless.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

When movies make that much money, like in Guardians or Deadpool, is it from people who are convinced to see it, or is it from repeat viewings?

Word of mouth can change a person's plans from "not really interested in this movie" to "hey this sounds like a good time".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

that spelling triggers me. I know it's because Marvel beat them to the punch but just call him Armageddon or Gotterdamerung or something, Christ

Darkseid has a pock but no lips what is even going on?!?!?

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
When one burns one's bridges, what a wonderful fire it makes
No way in hell am I going to look in BSS and ask this question, but what do you guys think of ole Cap being a hydra agent this while time?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

It's dumb as hell.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

it's the dumbest possible thing you could do with cap, and i hope no one bites on the bait.

the comic mans are swearing up and down that this is the real cap (not a clone, not a fake out!). i'm reminded of such assurances on the cover of old silver age comics where superman makes his pall jimmy olsen eat a bucket of poison bees or HAS TO FIGHT BATMAN TO THE DEATH, ONE WILL FOR SURE DIE THIS ISSUE! or whatever that were all elaborate fake-outs

i give it 6 months before a retcon or clarification it was indeed time travel or him being a triple agent or whatever.

BvS content from the IosM thread:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Otisburg posted:

it's the dumbest possible thing you could do with cap, and i hope no one bites on the bait.

Wayyyyyyyyyyyy too late for that, one guy has burned a copy of the comic, a bunch of Jewish people have denounced Cap for being a Nazi (noting it was just in time for Jewish History Month), the guy who wrote that comic has apparently received death threats, etc etc etc etc

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

honestly at this point it really doesn't matter what stupid nonsense they do to cap to try and trick people still stupid enough to pay 3 bucks for like 24 pages of garbage-teir content into thinking something is going to change to status quo, as long as the MCU has a pretty enjoyable and true to character cap

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What was supposed to be the point of that, anyway? I read it, but unless I skipped across too many words it didn't seem like there was really any reason for Cap to be Hydra except he was inducted into a Hydra Youth society when he was a kid

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
Jesus Christ. People take their picture books way too loving seriously.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

gradenko_2000 posted:

What was supposed to be the point of that, anyway? I read it, but unless I skipped across too many words it didn't seem like there was really any reason for Cap to be Hydra except he was inducted into a Hydra Youth society when he was a kid

it's called 'wanting to make shitloads of money' maybe you've heard of it

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
This will get retconned with something like very, very early incarnations of Hydra themselves were once an actual 'good' group with 'good' intentions that found themselves turning into something evil as actually good aspects got cut off, the groups splinted and corrupted leadership took over. Steve discovering that and thinking maybe he can reshape and reform Hydra from within; destroying them as a threat by using their 'cut off one head, two will take it's place' mentality to force two contradictory Hydra ideologies into a permanent war with itself or into correcting Hydra back into a more noble.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

boom boom boom posted:

That's the name of the planet. And it predates Marvel's Apocalypse by decades

so they have no excuse then

'Apokolips', jfc

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JediTalentAgent posted:

This will get retconned with something like very, very early incarnations of Hydra themselves were once an actual 'good' group with 'good' intentions that found themselves turning into something evil as actually good aspects got cut off, the groups splinted and corrupted leadership took over. Steve discovering that and thinking maybe he can reshape and reform Hydra from within; destroying them as a threat by using their 'cut off one head, two will take it's place' mentality to force two contradictory Hydra ideologies into a permanent war with itself or into correcting Hydra back into a more noble.

Or he's just a reprogrammed Life Model Decoy which thinks its real and has false memories and the real Captain America is on ice somewhere

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Or he's just a reprogrammed Life Model Decoy which thinks its real and has false memories and the real Captain America is on ice somewhere

I thought some site with an interview somewhere said specifically, "Oh, he's not an LMD or brainwashed or a clone or a..."

They're saying to give it a few weeks until the next issue comes out to explain the Hydra origins a bit better, which doesn't seem to be that big a deal or wait to get some better context.

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
Does Chris Evans have anything to say about this very important matter?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JediTalentAgent posted:

I thought some site with an interview somewhere said specifically, "Oh, he's not an LMD or brainwashed or a clone or a..."

Ah, I didn't see that. This article has a bunch of theories about how it could still be the real Captain America but he's not really a Hydra agent.

Edit: I love that one of their main points is "He once wielded Thor's hammer and you can't do that unless you're worthy therefore he can't have been a secret Hydra sleeper agent because you can't fool an ancient Norse hammer!!!"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Cap was working with a bunch of reconstructed super villains. And by "reconstructed" I mean that literally. SHIELD had taken fragments of cosmic cubes and rebuilt their bodies and personalities into nice, lawabiding people. Mind rape, pretty much. But it's okay because they're the good guys.

But all the fragments of cosmic cubes had merged together into the form of a young girl, because of loving course they did.

This girl turned Cap from the geriatric and feeble self he's been the past year or so into a young and fully powered Captain America. She also seems pretty lacking in human morality and empathy, doing some pretty sketchy things. You know, standard 'god child does not understand her own strength or this human thing you call...love'.

So, gee, I wonder if this physical embodiment of the power to change reality itself has anything to do with Captain loving America suddenly remembering a lifetime of being a Hydra agent.

Naah.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 30, 2016

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

It's a gimmick

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

Cap was working with a bunch of reconstructed super villains. And by "reconstructed" I mean that literally. SHIELD had taken fragments of cosmic cubes and rebuilt their bodies and personalities into nice, lawabiding people. Mind rape, pretty much. But it's okay because they're the good guys.

But all the fragments of cosmic cubes had merged together into the form of a young girl, because of loving course they did.

This girl turned Cap from the geriatric and feeble self he's been the past year or so into a young and fully powered Captain America. She also seems pretty lacking in human morality and empathy, doing some pretty sketchy things. You know, standard 'god child does not understand her own strength or this human thing you call...love'.

So, gee, I wonder if this physical embodiment of the power to change reality itself has anything to do with Captain loving America suddenly remembering a lifetime of being a Hydra agent.

Naah.

the red skull was hanging around the human cosmic cube the whole time and he currently has the late charles xavier's brain grafted on to his own. it was incredibly obvious what happened to anyone who read the comic, but outrage junkies dont actually read comics. it wasnt (directly) mind control or an impostor; a living reality warping artifact changed his past to make him have always been a member of hydra. before that comic he wasnt a member of hydra, after that comic he was always a member of hydra.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Blizzy_Cow posted:

Jesus Christ. People take their picture books way too loving seriously.

(Almost) everyone knows it's going to be retconned (except for the insane idiots sending death threats).

My problem is making popular children's book character Captain America a nazi, in a time where a very dangerous sociopath has little kids cheering for building walls and killing brown people, is a loving horrendous idea.

Maybe, just maybe, at a time of rising white nationalism a loving Disney-owned Ubermensch shouldn't be swearing fealty to the fuhrer.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

(Almost) everyone knows it's going to be retconned (except for the insane idiots sending death threats).

My problem is making popular children's book character Captain America a nazi, in a time where a very dangerous sociopath has little kids cheering for building walls and killing brown people, is a loving horrendous idea.

Maybe, just maybe, at a time of rising white nationalism a loving Disney-owned Ubermensch shouldn't be swearing fealty to the fuhrer.

there is also a black captain america who is not a nazi

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Didn't Walt Disney hate the Nazis too?

I think it's supposed to be some kind of "alternate universe" thing but we live in a world where an alternate female Thor is a grave affront to everyone everywhere, so who knows.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gamer With Dignity posted:

Didn't Walt Disney hate the Nazis too?

Not in this universe

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Word of mouth can change a person's plans from "not really interested in this movie" to "hey this sounds like a good time".

And if the movie is good enough, people who have seen the movie will tell their friends and they'll go along with them to rewatch the movie. I must have seen The Matrix three times, once by myself, the second time after recommended it to a friend and go with them, and the third when both of us brought another friend who hadn't seen the movie. I'm pretty sure that when me and a friend went to see Guardians of the Galaxy, she had already had seen it and wanted me to experience it.

many johnnys posted:

It's a gimmick

Yeah, remember when Cap died at the end of Civil War series and it was on CNN and Fox News and people went into loving mourning? Despite the running joke that no one stays dead in the Marvel universe? It used to be Bucky and Uncle Ben were the only two, but Bucky got reintroduced in a big way and Uncle Ben was cloned.

But, who cares, because it blew away DC's continual reboot of the DC, this time bringing in Watchmen for some loving reason.

Honestly, if I had to guess what Marvel character was a secret Nazi, it would have to be Magneto. I think that would probably have a bigger impact than Captain America at this point.

naem
May 29, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Edit: I love that one of their main points is "He once wielded Thor's hammer and you can't do that unless you're worthy therefore he can't have been a secret Hydra sleeper agent because you can't fool an ancient Norse hammer!!!"

Ah yes Thor's hammer, the tool used to genocide an entire race of sentient beings, so worthy lol

Lunchabully
Jul 20, 2003
Pillbug
Is this really the first time Captain America has secretly been a nazi? The character is like 80 years old at this point, has gone through dozens of writers, and has died, disappeared, been brainwashed, passed on the mantle etc and come back more times than I care to look up. It's such an obvious attention-grabber storyline I can't believe some hack didn't already do it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Blargh posted:

Is this really the first time Captain America has secretly been a nazi? The character is like 80 years old at this point, has gone through dozens of writers, and has died, disappeared, been brainwashed, passed on the mantle etc and come back more times than I care to look up. It's such an obvious attention-grabber storyline I can't believe some hack didn't already do it

nah, there have been panels from an old kirby issue where he was brainwashed to become a nazi and even saluted hitler going around. also, the hydra = nazi thing is mostly from the movies. they couldn't use nazis so they did a find/replace so that ww2 was fought against hydra rather than nazi germany. in comics hydra is usually a generic evil organization even though it is usually (but not always) led by one of several nazis. there are some explicitly neo-nazi evil organizations running around the marvel universe but hydra is not one of them.

what it comes down to is that captain america traditionally punches out individual nazis and their non-nazi employees.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
also the last few pages of the general marvel thread in bss have been dedicated to one hysterical idiot arguing about this dumb poo poo and having every single point he tries to make instantly and effortlessly refuted. it is pretty funny.

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Female Thor: :rant:

Black Spiderman: :rant:

Nazi Captain America: :geno:

Lunchabully
Jul 20, 2003
Pillbug

Nah there's just as much :rant: it's just a different group of people bitching about the latest children's soap opera plot twist

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

One is an ideological change by the same person while two are very different versions of a long established character

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Its actually nice and nostalgic to see people getting irrationally upset about a good old fashioned 'what if hero is a villain' plot rather than a social issue. Like reliving the nerd outrage of a simpler more innocent time.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Blargh posted:

Remember when Cap was on meth?

Remember when Cap was a werewolf?

Remember when Cap was a Nazi? I mean, that other time Cap was a Nazi?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What If? was the best Marvel funny paper but the weirdest stuff was always in the main series.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Young Freud posted:

Remember when Cap was on meth?

Remember when Cap was a werewolf?

Remember when Cap was a Nazi? I mean, that other time Cap was a Nazi?

.... or the time he was a cat, or the time he was a woman, or the time he was African American, or the time he was an African American woman, or the time he was a vampiric ape ....

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
when he first met falcon he was stuck in red skull's body

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hate the way most long-running comics books subject their heroes to a neverending series of heel turns because it only wears down what makes them unique. Batman, for example, has his fatal flaws, but he is not a killer and does not use guns. Turning Batman into a murderer overlooks the subtle hypocrisy of him beating the ever-living crap out of people and then claiming the high road for it. Batman is a hypocrite and pederast, but he's no murderer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hal jordan is a pedophile, batman is not.

• Locked thread