Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sharp reinforced club dex/bleed build.
Garg flame spear/dragonslayer axe. Warcry and then use the spear charge.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Is there a reason that blue cops seems to be busted for me? I've had it equipped for almost my entire first play through and wasn't summoned a single time. I'd switch over to sunbro to help people with bosses but that was it. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Necc0 posted:

Is there a reason that blue cops seems to be busted for me? I've had it equipped for almost my entire first play through and wasn't summoned a single time. I'd switch over to sunbro to help people with bosses but that was it. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

If you are on PC you can try making a family share account and transferring the save. If you google it you'll get the whole procedure. Apart from that there's nothing to do, it's a bug with Froms serverside matchmaking.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Probably not, it's just that really the only people who want to wear Way of Blue are:

A) Total newbies on their first playthrough who are scared of invaders

B) Dudes in certain level tiers who are into fight club chaos.

You'll occasionally get a random hit, but it's usually one of those other two. Basically you're relying on a very unpopular covenant, and the users have to be Embered, and THEN invaded, and you have to be the one chosen. Not a super high chance of getting a lot of hits.

You can switch covenants on the fly more or less with no penalty by equipping the item. The exception is Rosaria's Fingers, which will lock you out of a certain questline until you progress to the end of the game.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I've had the Blue Cops covenant active the entire game and I get summoned constantly, normally in an hour of play I'll get around 5 summons. It can get really annoying sometimes when I get summoned quicker than I can remove the covenant item when I'm actually trying to progress on my own. I think a lot of people just have poo poo network setups that are blocking connections.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Mattavist posted:

Someone tell me a fun/strong PVE build that uses fast weapons (that aren't just a broadsword)! This is for NG+ so everything is available.

do you mean fun like "this will make playing the game easier and increase my enjoyment" or fun like "this is an usual build and is much more challenging / difficult than usual"?

the former is pretty much any other straight sword with the infusion that matches your attribute spread. refined/heavy darksword or refined/sharp carthus curved sword are both very popular. black knight halberd or winged knight halberd might count here depending on what you mean by "fast". most daggers are out (too little damage), although you could maybe do something with the bandit's knife and carthus rouge on bosses that are weak to bleed. if you wanted twin weapons you could also do sellsword twinblades or warden twinblades or gotthard twinblades.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Mattavist posted:

I've had the Blue Cops covenant active the entire game and I get summoned constantly, normally in an hour of play I'll get around 5 summons. It can get really annoying sometimes when I get summoned quicker than I can remove the covenant item when I'm actually trying to progress on my own. I think a lot of people just have poo poo network setups that are blocking connections.

I should add that normal summoning via soapstone works fine for me.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Mattavist posted:

You think incorrectly, because such bad setups would persist through a family share. Yet, people who family share with the exact same save report much accelerated summons.

And no it is not a softban on the original account.

Something is up.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

homeless poster posted:

do you mean fun like "this will make playing the game easier and increase my enjoyment" or fun like "this is an usual build and is much more challenging / difficult than usual"?

Basically I finished a run with broadsword + shield and now I want to play Bloodborne in DS3.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Tallgeese posted:

You think incorrectly, because such bad setups would persist through a family share. Yet, people who family share with the exact same save report much accelerated summons.

And no it is not a softban on the original account.

Something is up.

I could get summons all the time with Farron covenant and Aldrich Faithful, but got maybe 1 or 2 blue cop summons in 10+ hrs running around with it on. Did the family sharing save transfer trick and started getting Darkmoon summoned like every 5 minutes. Got all of my needed Concords in maybe 3 hours.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Working as intended together with poise and straightsword hitboxes in online modes, I'm sure :argh:
(Personal goal is not the trophy, because I believe in 100%ing games that are worth it or deserve to be conquered and mastered and DS3 ain't none, but to make DM blade buff builds for PvP..)

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Today i had a dog teleport on my head at the crucifixion woods bonfire and it was silly

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
right now i'm wearing the uchi and the dual katanas just to have a ton of sheathes. i need more sheathes how do i maximize my sword holder count?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Mattavist posted:

Basically I finished a run with broadsword + shield and now I want to play Bloodborne in DS3.

Get a buddy and mule yourself some dual weapons and no shield, under 30% load only. Bleed optional, it is really strong in PvE and rewards aggressive play.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Mattavist posted:

You are wrong, I and many others get no summons for bluecops on our main account, but the moment I use my family share account I get constant summons. Even stranger, Aldrich faithfull have always worked fine for me on my main account.

Here is the instructions for anyone on PC who have trouble getting blue cops and other autosummon covenants working.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/374320/discussions/0/357286119111456394/

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Million Ghosts posted:

right now i'm wearing the uchi and the dual katanas just to have a ton of sheathes. i need more sheathes how do i maximize my sword holder count?

What would happen if you equipped one dual katana in your left hand and one dual katana in your right hand

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Genocyber posted:

Yes, but you still need to meet the individual spell intelligence requirements, so you still need 30+ Int for good spell variety. You cast spells with the r2, same as any weapon catalyst.
Well that's goddamn dumb, what's the point then? :mad:

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

What would happen if you equipped one dual katana in your left hand and one dual katana in your right hand

you become Sheathe the Scaleless

but for serious i have no idea and no means to check

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

SubponticatePoster posted:

Well that's goddamn dumb, what's the point then? :mad:

So you can, uh..

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Million Ghosts posted:

A few greatswords have backpack sheaths, could rock the claymore or astora's greatsword.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
This has been the problem with alternate scaling tools since ds1. Velka's talisman allowed miracles to be cast and scaled from int but they still required faith to use. I don't think there's an easy way to solve it because making the talisman reduce requirements invalidates an entire stat. Why have faith at all if you can just use an int tool and be an omni mage. Spices in ds2 helped I guess.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Atreiden posted:

You are wrong, I and many others get no summons for bluecops on our main account, but the moment I use my family share account I get constant summons. Even stranger, Aldrich faithfull have always worked fine for me on my main account.

Ok, didn't take stupid FROM poo poo into account. In any case there are plenty of people wearing Way of the Blue and if your account/network/whatever isn't hosed up you'll get summoned to help out a lot.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Mattavist posted:

Bandit dagger with Carthus Rouge is pretty rediculous for PvE, just bring something else as a backup for unbleedable enemies. You'll get through a lot of Carthus Rouge, but once you're in NG+ the cost is extremely minimal anyway. You can quickstep around like an idiot and make blood spray everywhere, sounds pretty BB to me :v:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Spices in ds2 helped I guess.

DS2 didn't have alternative spell scaling tools though, did it? Your spell power in a given element was that element's AR.

In other words, it was a sane system that made complete sense.

You cast a fire spell, it checks your Fire AR! A strange and alien concept to Miyazaki, apparently.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 30, 2016

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

At least in DS1, you could use Velka's talisman in an int build to use the gravelord miracles, which was sorta fun. Is there an equivalent in DS3?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The Dark miracles do that, sort of. They technically use both scalings.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

rip in peace talisman of beasts

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Manatee Cannon posted:

rip in peace talisman of beasts

Crystal Chime functions the same way.

Sort of.

Just... don't trust the spell buff. It's a visual only stat.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
what DOES spell buff do?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Tallgeese posted:

Spell Buff isn't used for anything, it's just a visual indicator of the combination of Intelligence and Faith scaling, plus 100. It's a percentage, by the way.

EG, if Int scaling is 50, and Faith scaling is 0, Spell Buff is 150, meaning 150% base damage on Intelligence-based spells.

The same would be true if Int scaling and Faith scaling are both 25. However, for the purposes of casting Sorcery, it would indeed be 125%, since Sorcery only checks Intelligence scaling.

By upgrading a catalyst, you improve the scaling, which improves Spell Buff. But the Spell Buff number itself means nothing to your spells.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Tallgeese posted:

DS2 didn't have alternative spell scaling tools though, did it? Your spell power in a given element was that element's AR.

In other words, it was a sane system that made complete sense.

You cast a fire spell, it checks your Fire AR! A strange and alien concept to Miyazaki, apparently.

it worked so much better and it's such a shame it wasn't included into DS3. see also: the loss of hexes as an actual school of magic, instead of being relegated to a few mostly useless "dark" spells spread between sorcery and miracles and pyromancy.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

If you made a checklist of the few nice things about ds2 those are the things they decided to not put into 3

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Salean posted:

If you made a checklist of the few nice things about ds2 those are the things they decided to not put into 3

- Able to be invaded after boss death
- Properly implemented dual-wielding system
- Spell-casting system that could be easily understood at a glance
- Inability to apply harmful effects to other players
- Ability to temporarily revive NPCs killed by hackers
- Decent fist weapons
- Ability to easily bypass the name censor on all sides
- Poise able to be easily understood
- Ability to select a wide variety of hair colors without a dull gray tint
- All autosummon covenants working properly on a technical level
- Bonfire ascetics
- Functional Blue Eye Orb

Checks out, though I'm not sure I'd call that "few".

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 30, 2016

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
it's too bad that DS2 just feels gross to play for some reason, and also is kinda ugly with boring areas

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

DS2 was the best dark souls

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Fought Yhorm the Giant for the first time. Wish I had realized that you are supposed to use the special greatsword, Siegward managed to get him to 1/4 hp before dying, so I had to plink the rest with my rapier. :v:

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I really wasn't a fan of still being able to get invaded after an area boss was defeated, but I don't see what would have been so bad about being able to toggle it on with the Dried Fingers.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Million Ghosts posted:

it's too bad that DS2 just feels gross to play for some reason, and also is kinda ugly with boring areas

I have no idea what you're talking about, DS2 was an amazing and beautiful game with solid mechanics, fun boss fights, and some really cool areas.

Like did you just dash through the Dragon Aerie and Dragon Shrine? Those places were beautiful and well-designed.

Places like Huntsman Copse were not good but every Souls game has some lovely boring areas (lol smouldering lake)

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I know I'm a month late with these opinions but whatever. I've finished the game and I'm not really interested in playing through it again, unlike 2 where I had about 5 different playthroughs and was into NG+3 on my main character. Tried starting NG+ but got about 10 minutes into the first area before I got bored. I read that there's gently caress all different in NG+ anyway, how disappointing. Not sure if I'll come back for the DLC, planning on getting rid of my gaming PC this summer.

I got a good 60 hours of it anyway though so yeah. Just didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

QuarkJets posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about, DS2 was an amazing and beautiful game with solid mechanics, fun boss fights, and some really cool areas.

Like did you just dash through the Dragon Aerie and Dragon Shrine? Those places were beautiful and well-designed.

Places like Huntsman Copse were not good but every Souls game has some lovely boring areas (lol smouldering lake)

the dragon areas are really cool and i really like Aldia's (for some reason) but it feels like it has way more half assed areas. the Shaded parts and Earthen Peak feel really low effort in particular. also for whatever reason it feels like every weapon hitbox is a little bit too short and it makes the game feel sorta goofy. i've got no real objective issue with DS2 i just don't like it much.