Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Night10194 posted:

I just got the Elf Glaive. Despite it saying they're armor piercing, the light attacks do not pierce armor and the heavy is a two-hit combo of an uppercut with a slow start and then a fast downward followup that's going to take some getting used to but does a pile of damage and then combos into a horizontal light attack instantly with no gap. The horizontal attacks hit hard and sweep well, they're really fast, but it gets 'stuck' after 2 or so rats. But it attacks so fast and staggers the rats it hits as if you hit them with a zweihander charge if it doesn't kill them. Seems like a solid weapon that'll take some getting used to.

The devs said on reddit that the latest glaive changes didn't make the patch so it should be improved with a hotfix. I want a glaive though, only saw a blue once and didn't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tagichatn posted:

The devs said on reddit that the latest glaive changes didn't make the patch so it should be improved with a hotfix. I want a glaive though, only saw a blue once and didn't get it.

It is fun as poo poo.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Fatshark: We wanted to do all this but we couldn't because we were too busy making sure people could rebind F1, make sure that table in a map nobody plays wasn't disappearing, and also fix the innkeeper's head disappearing when you looked at the right angle.

Coolguye posted:

I'm cool with Hagbane being a great way to melt Stormvermin and Roger, I also just have an issue with it being a great way to handle every horde ever. There's nothing the Hagbane is bad at, it holds enough reserve ammo that you don't need to stress that much about arrows, and it does its job very quickly. Your performance with it is still stand-out but a smaller version of it is not unique and that's a problem.

Still disagree because it's her only AoE option as well. You can do the same with a shotgun, with beam staff, with good perks on pistols, the list goes on. To nerf the hagbane is to take away a risk to learn to control for great benefits in addition to making her useless against all special enemies. Kerillian fulfills the role as highest, fastest damage dealer against every enemy, and is not meant to tank. Anybody can take on rat swarms with ease using the right weapons, or just using teamwork, and remanding the character to that is an end to her being a meaningful teammate. Don't forget that what you saw was my knockback bow, so I was also getting lucky on those rolls for every enemy to get thrown rear end over teakettle. I know you said you'd keep it as a Stormvermin/Ogre melter, but I'm just stating all this with the blanket assumption if it got nerfed it'd be an overall nerf to effectiveness, including damage, which would make it useless.

The other bows are just so titanically poo poo and they aren't going to do anything to fix it, even though it would be this easy:

Longbow: Fire 2-3 arrows at once, or make it an alt fire. Increase the speed drastically, some more ammo.
Swiftbow: Add armor piercing, for one, and have a faster charge shot also with 2 arrows, because unless you get lucky on hail of doom or are some loving FPS wizard who can headshot all day everyday without using aimed shots, this weapon is utterly useless against all but clan and slave rats, and it will run out of ammo faster than you can blink doing it.
Trueflight: Allows the marking of targets, not forced. It's still suboptimal but eh.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 27, 2016

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Free weekend of this, seems fun so far. Any recommendations for a complete noob? I just did a couple of random maps last night, didn't get anything good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Siochain posted:

Free weekend of this, seems fun so far. Any recommendations for a complete noob? I just did a couple of random maps last night, didn't get anything good.

Jump to Hard matches. They aren't that much more difficult than normal, but the loot tables have more blues than greens. Who are you playing as, initially? A good starter is Kruber or Bardin, because they get shields, and a shield charge attack is the number one best crowd control weapon in the game. Also, remember that you have a dodge feature if you get surrounded.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I can't stop hitting rats with a glaive send help.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Lunethex posted:

Anybody can take on rat swarms with ease using the right weapons, or just using teamwork, and remanding the character to that is an end to her being a meaningful teammate. Don't forget that what you saw was my knockback bow, so I was also getting lucky on those rolls for every enemy to get thrown rear end over teakettle.

Just like you got lucky that the game was "bugged" and gave you infinite arrows for hagbane, instakill with kruber and instant heals?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tagichatn posted:

Just like you got lucky that the game was "bugged" and gave you infinite arrows for hagbane, instakill with kruber and instant heals?

Oh dayum!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The knockback is 10%, but the cloud counts as the proc chance. It's pretty drat good. Especially with the bow firing the way it does now. Also some of my weapons still aren't consuming ammo for some reason. It happened after a crash on day 1. I can screenshare that nothing but VT is running and that it's the case. But Kruber's instant kill bullshit went away. The infinite ammo is actually ironic because scavenger is basically infinite ammo on a hagbane.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 27, 2016

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Really enjoying the DLC thus far, but I've noticed that Kruber's bloodlust on Kruber's sword and shield seems to proc more than just about any other weapon I have with the trait. All are max chance as well, but it just seems to click with Kruber, especially when he's using the shield bash. Saltzpyre's rapier has it too, for example, but it rarely triggers unless he's already near full health. Also, I kind of wish the red weapons were better, cause I kind of like the look of the weapon more.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Ok, I just did some testing on that thing. It seems that there is a bug with hail of doom causing shots to not be consumed now. Two of my bows and a blunderbuss are broken to not be consuming shots regardless of it triggering or not, and they were weapons I was using at the times of crashing. If someone has a 15% hail of doom weapon, let me know if it's happening to you.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Using it more, the glaive is not as good as the Sword and Dagger, but that's more because the sword and dagger is broken as gently caress rather than the glaive being bad.

It's also way more fun to use and so it'll be my go-to elf weapon now.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

When Saltzpyre's new Volley Crossbow procs hail of doom on the 3 round burst, it fires six bolts

:stare:

The Ogre is just crying in a corner now. Combined with auto headshot, its Head Shot modifier and...well, you get the idea.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 28, 2016

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Eh n/m.

Haerc fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 29, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Well this patch has introduced a lovely bug for me!

So there are invisible rats that hurt me and only me. The other players don't see them and aren't attacked. No one can hit them with melee or ranged attacks. The bot will hit them just fine and bombs work, but that's it.

It's some weird form of desync if I had to guess. They say they killed a rat and so it ragdolls but my client sees it alive and treats it as such though it no longer renders the model properly since it already ragdolled away.

Or maybe it's just a weird rendering error.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Would like to join with a group. I go by kinenvy on steam it looks like.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Well this patch has introduced a lovely bug for me!

So there are invisible rats that hurt me and only me. The other players don't see them and aren't attacked. No one can hit them with melee or ranged attacks. The bot will hit them just fine and bombs work, but that's it.

It's some weird form of desync if I had to guess. They say they killed a rat and so it ragdolls but my client sees it alive and treats it as such though it no longer renders the model properly since it already ragdolled away.

Or maybe it's just a weird rendering error.

I've had the same thing happening, only seems to happen if I'm joining an already in progress game.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Mine persisted throughout the night. Joined into the inn and then we played the levels in order from Magus to Black Powder and every level had the issue. They could see me getting pushed from taking the hit but none of us could kill the invisible rats. Literally never had this happen prior to this recent update.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

RBA Starblade posted:

Wait this game's dev is Fatshark? The Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 guys who formed from the smoking ashes of Grin? Well, that's awesome. I had no idea!

Quiet, or you'll spoil the plot-twist where it turns out that Kruber's family was surgically-implanted into his garish hat the entire time!

Also can we get some grappling-hook-based swinging mechanics shoved into this game somehow

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I've put some time in with the Glaive. Although a satisfying weapon to use, it's pretty bad and broken.

It hits only two enemies per swing, which is its Achilles' Heel. Every other two-hander swings through at least twice that, and even the 1h Hammer, 1h Sword, they hit more than this weapon does. Going by the name from the code and from the little things I observed in game, the Glaive is basically a 1h Bardin axe upgraded and sort of copy pasted. The power attack's massive windup for only hitting one enemy is pretty bad too, but they said they wanted a weapon to kill Stormvermin with, so if you want to do it in a hit or two less than other melee weapons here you go I guess, it doesn't stop Kruber-Bardin handgunning or a hagbanin' from beating you to the punch more safely and with the windup time the way it is you'll get pushed and interrupted by that very same enemy and maybe hit by it or its entourage before you get the power attack off. In short, it doesn't work at this role very well, and it's very unsafe to try it. The one-handed weapons most characters have like the Mace, the 1h Bardin Axe, were all the ones originally meant to be Stormvermin killers so now that we're on the subject, it's safe to say the Glaive fails at it for being much too slow.

This weapon needed to be a faster crowd control with only a little less damage than the other two-handers and it's not succeeding. I've looked through all the traits on the 200~ instances of its orange version - the ones that can be rewarded by the loot ladder - and they're all incredibly bad with 100 of them having the Off-balance perk which does not jive in the slightest with only two stamina shields. Using the Shrine to roll for other perk sets shows ones that do not come from the loot ladder, but in most cases it ends up being like the Red Sword & Dagger, which, if you have that already there'd be no reason to use that Glaive set or the Glaive at all. It claims to have Armor Penetration on the light attack but it doesn't work, the only two hits that break armor are the vertical cuts.

It's an immensely satisfying weapon to be sure, but it's not Cataclysm viable, and it fails at crowd control. I find an excellent way to make use of it is - as always with the Hagbane - having the Endurance trait on it. While the poison ticks and you're equipped with the Glaive, that also rolls to trigger Endurance so you can regenerate stamina and constantly be pushing and guarding after swings, but other than that it comes off as a gimmick weapon. The Sword & Dagger still reigns supreme.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

To an extent, I feel like comparing any weapon to the sword and dagger is kind of silly because the sword and dagger is outright one of the the most powerful melee weapons in the game, and certainly the best elf weapon. It's one of very few that makes absolutely no compromises: It's good against every target, in every situation, only faltering very slightly against armored targets in melee, which you never have to fight in melee because you probably have a Hagbane.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really like Summoner's Peak. It's like Well Watch except not terrible.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Why on earth would a two handed weapon only have 2 shields

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Digirat posted:

Why do dual daggers and dual swords have less shields than dagger plus sword?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Digirat posted:

I blame Obama.

edit because new post: Why do dual swords have only two shields and not slow someone down when blocking with them, while blocking with daggers is slower for no reason? The Elf's weapons all have these weird dissonant quirks.

Night10194 posted:

To an extent, I feel like comparing any weapon to the sword and dagger is kind of silly because the sword and dagger is outright one of the the most powerful melee weapons in the game, and certainly the best elf weapon. It's one of very few that makes absolutely no compromises: It's good against every target, in every situation, only faltering very slightly against armored targets in melee, which you never have to fight in melee because you probably have a Hagbane.

That is, unless you have the Red S&D and will kill anything with impunity just by swinging wildly.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 29, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jesus loving christ, who thought the new Saltzpyre crossbow was balanced.

This thing is a murder machine and I love it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Night10194 posted:

Jesus loving christ, who thought the new Saltzpyre crossbow was balanced.

This thing is a murder machine and I love it.

You really don't need balance when every weapon is a means to murder ratmen. I mean, the best guns in Left 4 Dead 2 were laser pointer ak-47s with explosive ammo, and the gun shop level let you deck them out for a whole team's worth.

Also, the Dungeons are an absolute bastard. I have yet to do a successful hard run without dying to that Rat Ogre in the pitch darkness.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 30, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I like how if you Hail of Doom with the volley crossbow the extra shots get clustered in with your initial spread to fill in the gaps.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Looks like Lua hacking is back in business.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hotfix just did some Good poo poo for the glaive. The up-down combo is now the most damaging single combo in the game, the first rat hit by the regular attack takes enough to one-shot a clanrat on Nightmare, and all the attacks pierce armor now.

Yessss.

Oh my god this actually does exactly what they said it would, now. One up-down combo will kill a Stormvermin on Nightmare. The normal attacks will do it in about 4-5 hits. And killing the first rat you hit makes it way better at killing hordes than it was if you control your distance with dodging.

Just try to get Perfect Balance on it.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 30, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Arcsquad12 posted:

You really don't need balance when every weapon is a means to murder ratmen. I mean, the best guns in Left 4 Dead 2 were laser pointer ak-47s with explosive ammo, and the gun shop level let you deck them out for a whole team's worth.

Also, the Dungeons are an absolute bastard. I have yet to do a successful hard run without dying to that Rat Ogre in the pitch darkness.

The thing about imbalanced weapons in Vermintide is that you pick your weapons. The screw it, just pick up the best weapon in the game is part of the level design and disappears in other levels. In Vermintide having an awesome choice means other choices are always going to be that bit worse.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The glaive is way better now and I'm very happy with it destroying doors in one swing.

Still, hitting only two enemies at once is crippling. There's a lot of hits I'd not have taken with S&D. This weapon requires you to be good at evasion. Push when there are more than 4 rats bearing down on you, power attack to start every scrimmage, simple stuff, but not usable if you're not host imo because latency and bullshit rat attacks (like the running attack, you know what I mean) will ruin your day because of the 2 stamina shields.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
What's the reach on it like? Any thrusting attacks? God, I want a halberd for Kruber.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Range doesn't feel different from Elf Sword, maybe somewhat smaller, you have to time your swings much like the daggers so you don't swing too early, whereas you can just swing with impunity on the S&D.

The Glaive is infinitely more satisfying than any other weapon though, because it dismembers much easier than the other weapons. I charge attacked a rat that was jumping down, fucker got bisected in mid air, watched his top and bottom half flop around the floor. It was absolutely spectacular to watch and is yet another reason why this game is unbeatable in the combat department.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lunethex posted:

Range doesn't feel different from Elf Sword, maybe somewhat smaller, you have to time your swings much like the daggers so you don't swing too early, whereas you can just swing with impunity on the S&D.

The Glaive is infinitely more satisfying than any other weapon though, because it dismembers much easier than the other weapons. I charge attacked a rat that was jumping down, fucker got bisected in mid air, watched his top and bottom half flop around the floor. It was absolutely spectacular to watch and is yet another reason why this game is unbeatable in the combat department.

When I noticed the glaive was cutting rats in two on light attacks, that was the moment I resolved I was going to figure out how to make it work no matter what.

And I've felt the range is actually quite long.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

These perk sets are the best way to make it work:

Bloodlust - Extra Stamina - Berserking/Swift Slaying (Normal)
Bloodlust - Endurance - Berserking/Swift Slaying (Normal)

I looked through all 200+ instances of the orange Glaives and the shrine and couldn't find anything acceptable past those two, but they don't use Berserking, if I recall. I wasn't happy with any of the sets so I burned every one of them, 'cause the Red Glaive (which is the first set, Bloodlust,Stam,SwiftSlaying) and the Orange with Endurance are solid enough. Devastating blow makes no difference on this weapon, so maximize on killing and healing with it. The weird thing is the shrine can re-roll instant kill on normal attacks which makes no sense considering the weapon doesn't hit as much and also instant kills on NM.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

And the biggest problem with this game is STILL people who INSIST on being Rambo and running off on their own to die. I swear to gently caress. JUST. loving. STAY. WITH. THE. GROUP. I don't think that's asking a lot. It's not MLG level strats here. This is basic, basic, basic poo poo and they fail at it so loving much. God drat. Just stay with the group.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Gonkish posted:

And the biggest problem with this game is STILL people who INSIST on being Rambo and running off on their own to die. I swear to gently caress. JUST. loving. STAY. WITH. THE. GROUP. I don't think that's asking a lot. It's not MLG level strats here. This is basic, basic, basic poo poo and they fail at it so loving much. God drat. Just stay with the group.

Counterpoint: Lunethex IS Rambo and can go wherever he pleases.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I try not to do that anymore because Gutter Runners are broken as hell and that's still not fixed, or even acknowledged, but I generally leave pubbies behind for the sake of challenging myself.

In all fairness I keep within elf spitting distance of a group. As long as Line of Sight is kept up or easy to get back to in danger for whatever circumstance all's good.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i've been abandoned by teams so many loving times when playing rear guard in an attack/ambush situation. i'll just be clowning on a ton of slave and clan rats, then suddenly look up and see i'm loving 100 feet away from the group because they thought running from an attack would work this time

i really don't understand how so many people can get up to level 100 and not perceive that rats are faster than players

• Locked thread