Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Kairo "GulagDolls" Seijuro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Gulag is our clique's resident expert on the twenty-one foot rule

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
my katana is folded 1000 times

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Tommunist posted:

my katana is folded 1000 times

It must be pretty small now

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Birdstrike posted:

It must be pretty small now

nah its pretty big and it allows to me dash attrack

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Tommunist posted:

nah its pretty big and it allows to me dash attrack

You channeled gulag perfectly here.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

wait so if swords are > guns then shouldn't smaller swords ie knives be best?

just hundreds of knives

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Runescape Mafia has been closed for a mix of modkills and lack of participation gg all have a nice day

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Kashuno posted:

Runescape Mafia has been closed for a mix of modkills and lack of participation gg all have a nice day

That really sucks Kash, I know you put a lot of effort into this game and it really is lovely when people don't submit actions.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

good. now i can put mafia behind me forever. again.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
it happens. It was a combination of bad timing for me that delayed n1 and n2 and not much going on in the game.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

maybe next time scum should kill one of the people with single digit postcount and not the guy making graphs.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

GulagDolls posted:

maybe next time scum should kill one of the people with single digit postcount and not the guy making graphs.

Lynch all lurkers.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

I was participating! ;-;

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

GulagDolls posted:

I was going to kill you last night and I killed jon joe. Fighter's Assassin's Guild bitches.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

GulagDolls posted:

Yeah that was our mistake. Rarity really pushed for it though.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i used my dagger that negated kill attempts on me so qq

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

absurd revolver not dying d1 is why mafia must also die

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

GulagDolls posted:

absurd revolver not dying d1 is why mafia must also die

Agreed. Also my first game as scum :(

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

gg

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

:sigh:

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Absurd Revolver posted:

Yeah that was our mistake. Rarity really pushed for it though.

Nah, no raegrets, that was no mistake killing J J and his graph making. He would have found us out. Non participation did the game in. You performed well my scumbro.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Mafia is dead but if you guys want to play video games with mafia folk, contact JakeP. Hell, you might even see me once in a great while and I'll be an elitist rear end in a top hat on voip, just for you!!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I've seen the argument many times that scum shouldn't kill active participators, but those 'in the spirit of fun' rules are bullshit. Lurking is alignment neutral. Both teams should do what they can to win. Town has to take a chance killing lurkers early, as while they won't get much info, they'll be much better off in the lategame. It's a strategy, and is independent of the fact that lurkers are not fun to play with.

I think it was merk's political WIFOA game from last year where some people in town got really upset that scum was killing active townies. but... scum won. why should they feel ashamed?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I don't blame scum when they kill active people, but it's always appreciated when they go after lurkers.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

There's something to be said of scum who kill lurkers since it both improves the game and says more about their ability as scum. It's much, much less impressive if you scum to a win by killing the best players early, but it's fair game of course.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
It depends. I usually shoot for the middle unless an active player is snooping a little too close to home.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Scum should kill the lurkers but also lurk themselves so the active players feel very lonely

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
wats the best time of day to set deadlines for internet forum games

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Just remember, active is another word for good and lurker is another word for shouldn't have signed up and also bad

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

dongsbot 9000 posted:

With everyone across different time zones, pick a time that works for you and make it clear when the deadline is, IMO.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dongsbot 9000 posted:

Usually evenings EST tends to work. If anyone has a serious problem with the deadline, they'll speak up.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Spiros posted:

Just remember, active is another word for good and lurker is another word for shouldn't have signed up and also bad

Not always the case, there are very active players who will post a hundred poo poo posts and have two posts where they lightly case someone to appear relevant.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Spiros posted:

:yeah:

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
I think there is true lurking where a player is just a non-participant who shouldn't have signed up and people who coast by to stay under the radar intentionally. :shrug:

:justpost: doesn't always work.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

I think there is true lurking where a player is just a non-participant who shouldn't have signed up and people who coast by to stay under the radar intentionally. :shrug:

:justpost: doesn't always work.

the difference between those two is one is playing the game with a particular strategy and one is not playing the game at all. Just post always works, because you can normally tell when someone is full of poo poo and non-committal.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Not always the case, there are very active players who will post a hundred poo poo posts and have two posts where they lightly case someone to appear relevant.

Posting a lot doesn't mean active, actually.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

BottleKnight posted:

the difference between those two is one is playing the game with a particular strategy and one is not playing the game at all. Just post always works, because you can normally tell when someone is full of poo poo and non-committal.

:agreed:

I think lurking in general is a detriment to the game, but I feel circumstance can get in the way. I don't think players can always just post though. Sometimes there isn't anything to say and you don't want to look bad by comparison because if you're just rambling people are quick to jump on that as scummy.

I don't know if its mafia culture itself or the nature of an online PbP game, but quantity vs. content can be trouble for the game objectively. I'd rather have a player who was quiet for most of a day and made 3 content posts then a player who created 3 pages of quantity posts.

I imagine there has to be some balance, but I don't know if "lurkers" could ever truly disappear from online games.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
Someone give me a mafia discord invite plz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
All in all, as scum I go by content or lack thereof in my decision for NK. Look for breadcrumbs, look for poo poo posters, look for nonfactors and look for the brightest among the group. In it to win it, even if I seldom succeed :D