Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Enourmo posted:

thermo final in 4 hours and i havent slept but i've got a 4 pack of monster

wish me luck

Good luck. Remember that the higher temperature is hotter!

Here's a real whine for you. I didn't get a hundred on my previous physics exam because they mismarked two questions. I could get those points back easily but I've already got an A in the class that I can't lose even if I completely bomb the final. And grubbing over getting my 97% up to 100% when it's completely unnecessary is pretty lovely. But goddamnit, I earned that perfect score on the exam and I want it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Random Stranger posted:

Here's a real whine for you. I didn't get a hundred on my previous physics exam because they mismarked two questions. I could get those points back easily but I've already got an A in the class that I can't lose even if I completely bomb the final. And grubbing over getting my 97% up to 100% when it's completely unnecessary is pretty lovely. But goddamnit, I earned that perfect score on the exam and I want it!

I just took a midterm today and was two wrong multiple choice answers away from probably making a high A on it. Instead it will more than likely be a high B. This is for a class I'm doing well in, but I really want an A in it, and a high A on this exam would've helped me a lot with that.

I. M. Gei has a new favorite as of 00:19 on May 4, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Roro posted:

Well, that is what hearts tend to do :v:

I'm reacting to this like when I was eight and found out less is more was a figure of speech and not a literal definition.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Random Stranger posted:

Not always! But seriously, good luck. I've got a feeling you'll nail this.

Envision
Dec 17, 2006

Florida Betty posted:

I've never heard of a professor being fired halfway through the semester like that. What did he gently caress up so bad that they had to get rid of him so fast?

This happened to my brother as well. One of his professors got canned for some issue involving exams.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

EmmyOk posted:

I'm reacting to this like when I was eight and found out less is more was a figure of speech and not a literal definition.

So an annoyed sigh or...?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Envision posted:

This happened to my brother as well. One of his professors got canned for some issue involving exams.

I had a professor fired midway through our semester because she told the Feds that giving funds for Native American students to the school was a waste of money, because the school pissed away that money on things not involved with Native American students.

2 weeks until I get to boo the President of the Uni out. 2 GODDAMN WEEKS :shepicide:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Roro posted:

So an annoyed sigh or...?

Not at all! I was about to say it was dumb and then my brain said "no wait that's brilliant"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Speaking of fired teachers, I'm 90% certain that one of my professors was fired as of next week. They were arrested for drunk driving a few days before the course began and their behavior over the semester has become erratic. They didn't bother to show up for class three times including today, the last lecture before the final. The someone from the department office came in and apologized to us at the time the class was to start and say that they weren't coming in.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Halfway through another 300+ undergraduate CS class tests that need to be corrected by tomorrow night. They have to call a simple recursive method and a good 1/3 of them don't even so much as call the method within itself.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
I'm almost done with my MA thesis and a recurring problem has been that my supervisor's handwriting is almost illegible. I can read maybe 75% of his suggestions and have to guess on the rest. Despite acknowledging this and giving feedback in electronic form on my second draft, he went back to handwriting for the final one. Thanks. :suicide:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I had a group project for a law class. We were supposed to 'debate' a certain topic. We chose, for our group, the idea of banning fracking in California. Practically, what this meant was writing a series of 1-4 minute speeches for each group member. One girl broke her hand and dropped out. Nobody showed up to group meetings. It was so bad, that I just decided I was going to give my speech totally off-the-cuff.

In the same time, I was preparing an actual presentation for another class, on the Zapatista rebellion in Mexico in 1994. I spent an actual week preparing for that presentation, getting my story perfectly straight, doing research, rehearsing.

Then I do both on the same day. The prepared presentation, I got a B+. The off-the-cuff, bullshitted presentation was an A+ :eng99:. I even got comments back from the off-the-cuff speech that said "Well-rehearsed. Good vocation."

one more week

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
This coulda been a semester where I got all A's but i ended up missing a single test in an online course. Despite getting an A on literally every other assignment, including the final, this test was worth 10% with no chance to make it up.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Welp, that's it. I'm finally. loving.done.

If I just walked out of the graduation after doing the whole handshake thing, would that be bad form? I'm seriously tempted to do that.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My school just changed their webcourses page. From the previous perfectly functional design that had everything important in its own link on the top bar, they've gone to one that more closely mirrors the mobile app, with everything condensed into fewer items on the sidebar. So things you want to view like, say, your current grade overview, which previously had their own link, are now buried under several submenus, and the whole thing's just more annoying to navigate.

I guess public universities all fall prey to the old government motto: if it ain't broke, fix it til it is.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

EmmyOk posted:

Not at all! I was about to say it was dumb and then my brain said "no wait that's brilliant"

I asked because I relayed my comment to my mother, who rolled her eyes at me then left the room. I'm underappreciated.

E: I'm due to start placement next Monday and I feel like I'm going to have an anxiety attack when I think about it. Preparation for this placement block has just been full of problems.

Roro has a new favorite as of 13:23 on May 12, 2016

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

So I and everyone else are doing this class and it was going just fine as expected. One weird thing about it was an assignment that was mentioned on the assessment form, 30 hours of work on an outside project. No one knew what this was and if anyone asked about it, we'd just be told 'oh, the production isn't ready yet, we'll let you know more when we're ready to start.'

So it's three weeks until the end of the semester and everyone thought that maybe the assignment was forgotten about. The day before yesterday, I received an email telling us, yes the 30 hour assignment does exist, yes we're doing it and yes, it's still worth 40% of your grade.
Fantastic. Who the gently caress has 30 hours of time to spare on the last month of a semester?
I asked about the assignment, and was told 'it's ok, we'll run workshops, each workshop will easily give you 8 hours of work :) ' After all, 9am to 4pm is when absolutely nothing happens for nobody, everyone will totally be able to make it to these workshops, definitely.

I should mention that the email we received only confirmed the existence of the assignment, and not what it actually is. We can't start on it yet.

Also my aunt is making me fly out for her wedding two weeks from now. I guess it's not her fault but ARGH.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
Ugh, I'm so over this quarter. Can I take my finals already?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Just wanted to chime in and say that I got my grades yesterday, and now I'm formally a college graduate. I managed literally straight Bs, so go go 3 point O.

Good luck college Goons, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Don't kill yourself, despite how tempting it may be in the face of a 15 page paper due a week from the assign date.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.

A White Guy posted:

Just wanted to chime in and say that I got my grades yesterday, and now I'm formally a college graduate. I managed literally straight Bs, so go go 3 point O.

Good luck college Goons, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Don't kill yourself, despite how tempting it may be in the face of a 15 page paper due a week from the assign date.

Yay! Congrats! You're free!!!

And yeah, I'm in the middle of a couple of lab reports. Ugh...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Met with someone in the finance department of my college today to go over a few things. They had to break out a calculator to add 1000 to a number. :negative:

Later on they mentioned that they got their degree in communications and I thought, "Ah, that explains it."

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

It's one week after finals and I have a class with an incomplete grade. :negative:

It's calculus. :negative:

One more week. :smithicide:

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

It's one week after finals and I have a class with an incomplete grade. :negative:

It's calculus. :negative:

One more week. :smithicide:

This is actually your final exam: you need to take the limit (from below) of your grade through the semester.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Random Stranger posted:

Met with someone in the finance department of my college today to go over a few things. They had to break out a calculator to add 1000 to a number. :negative:

Later on they mentioned that they got their degree in communications and I thought, "Ah, that explains it."

Look man when an important class is on the line I'll use a calculator to verify 5+7.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I am beginning a terrifying descent into eight weeks of hell on Tuesday as I start the accelerated summer term for not one but two tough courses: Calculus 2 and Physics 2. Phys2 is a prerequisite for half the significant courses in my major and Calc 2 is the prerequisite for the other half. Unfortunately I couldn't take Calc1 and Phys1 until the winter semester so my options were taking them in the summer or really derailing my major. So here I go taking two heavy workload classes compressed into half their usual time and because I felt like I wasn't making my life difficult enough, I'm also doing a special lab program at the same time (though that's self-paced, at least).

That's rough, but such is life. Where the real complaint comes in is the only way to take these two, typically paired courses, in the same summer term at my college is if the lectures are five minutes apart. And naturally the classes aren't conveniently located in the same building. I know that there's at least a dozen students doing the same so it's going to look like the campus 5k occurring five days a week,

But it could be worse. There's a lot of people in my phys 1 class who didn't sign up for the summer physics 2 class thinking they could do it at a community college or pick it up in the fall. The phys 2 in both summer and fall filled up almost instantly and they found out that it would be tough to get into a phys 2 class at another school for the summer and then come back. Those guys are up poo poo creek

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

You are insane to be taking both Calc and physics at the same time for summer school. :gonk: I hope your professors are chill as gently caress about the courses, but my own experience with summer school was that the professors were dicks about homework. Have fun with multiple exams in the same week.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A White Guy posted:

You are insane to be taking both Calc and physics at the same time for summer school. :gonk: I hope your professors are chill as gently caress about the courses, but my own experience with summer school was that the professors were dicks about homework. Have fun with multiple exams in the same week.

My alternative for a summer calc 2 course was a special "calc 1 and calc 2 in one semester" course that my college offered last spring. I asked a few professors and TA's in the math department if taking it was a good idea and their response was ":stare: Holy gently caress no!" until I said that I'd have to do calc 2 in the summer then and then they were, "Well, calc 2 is the hard part so if you're going to be slitting your own wrists anyway..." Then I mentioned it to my advisor and they told me that the course had a 10% pass rate and that ended that idea.

I heard from some people doomed to that death course that they had a major exam about every ten days. Not ten class days, ten actual days.

It's phys 2 that has me more worried, though. They were persnickety about homework formatting in the first class and I typically had four to six hours of homework in it each week. Doubling that up is going to make life rough.

Edit: I just remembered something special about "multiple exams in the same week" from the previous semester. Typically I would have a physics exam at night until 10:30pm (they started at 7:30). Then I'd have the calc exam the next day starting at 8:00am. That's taking the multiple exams in the same week to a whole different level.

Random Stranger has a new favorite as of 15:28 on May 30, 2016

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Is depression and anxiety a worthwhile minor?

So yeah, everything is kinda whatever. Doing great in lectures and most things. Chem lab is brutal though. The TA decided to bring down the hammer of loving god and is becoming ruthless in grading. Last few lab report grades have been poo poo. I've been writing them the same. First reports got decent grades, so yeah he's being more strict now. At least I kick rear end on the weekly quizzes. Ugh. I don't wanna be a fish monger.

Edit: ^Do you like pain?

Glasgow Kiss has a new favorite as of 19:34 on May 30, 2016

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Every time my physics teacher writes "Gauss' Law" my eye twitches.

They wrote their own material for the course and they wrote it that way every single time. :negative:

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Random Stranger posted:

Every time my physics teacher writes "Gauss' Law" my eye twitches.

They wrote their own material for the course and they wrote it that way every single time. :negative:

Leaving off the s after the apostrophe is pretty common for names ending in s, is that one a hard and fast exception or something?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

What strange version of english do you speak? When you leave an a s off a possessing noun in english, it means that there are multiple nouns possessing something. As in, 'Rachels' dicks' means multiple Rachels have multiple dicks.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

A White Guy posted:

What strange version of english do you speak? When you leave an a s off a possessing noun in english, it means that there are multiple nouns possessing something. As in, 'Rachels' dicks' means multiple Rachels have multiple dicks.

It is correct in both MLA and AP style to leave off the s for the possessive form of a word ending in s, e.g. "Gauss' Law". I don't really like it, either, but it is a valid and fairly widely accepted variant.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

A White Guy posted:

Now do it if one Chris has one dick.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Enourmo posted:

Look man when an important class is on the line I'll use a calculator to verify 5+7.
Seriously. It loving killed me because we couldn't use calculators in signals and systems. We always had a bunch of integrals with no integral table, sorry I don't have all the integrals memorized anymore cause calc was 2 years ago oh and you want me to integration by parts? SURE.

A White Guy posted:

I was never the best student in English class, but I have seriously never heard this. If a non plural non ends in s, you just put the apostrophe, no s.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The plural possessive is correct but I have seen the apostrophe with no s when the possessor's name already ends on an s. I personally hate it but it seems way more common than things like "that is John Hughes's house"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I feel like as the only goon in classes for the next few months, I am obligated to complain more to make up for it.

So in about half an hour I have my first physics 2 exam. No problem, I'm prepared and have the material down cold.

The complaint is that we had a lab section today that was dedicated to essentially doing practice test problems. On an abrupt schedule with a complicated class with a lot of material that isn't intuitive, this kind of review is super helpful. So literally the entire class ducked out of it within half an hour. The TA is so disinterested in handling the lab that he didn't care when people said, "Hey, I'm done and leaving," and he even provided the answer key so people who wanted to pretend to actually do their work didn't need to put in any effort. It was myself and my lab partner there after that for about another forty-five minutes after the previous person left working through each problem step-by-step. No one even wanted to play with the big Van Der Graaf generator that was there and ready to fry anyone who got too close.

I am looking forward to their complaints tomorrow about how hard the exam was.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Random Stranger posted:

I feel like as the only goon in classes for the next few months, I am obligated to complain more to make up for it.

So in about half an hour I have my first physics 2 exam. No problem, I'm prepared and have the material down cold.

The complaint is that we had a lab section today that was dedicated to essentially doing practice test problems. On an abrupt schedule with a complicated class with a lot of material that isn't intuitive, this kind of review is super helpful. So literally the entire class ducked out of it within half an hour. The TA is so disinterested in handling the lab that he didn't care when people said, "Hey, I'm done and leaving," and he even provided the answer key so people who wanted to pretend to actually do their work didn't need to put in any effort. It was myself and my lab partner there after that for about another forty-five minutes after the previous person left working through each problem step-by-step. No one even wanted to play with the big Van Der Graaf generator that was there and ready to fry anyone who got too close.

I am looking forward to their complaints tomorrow about how hard the exam was.

What makes you think you're the only goon still in classes? I just finished one, and the next one starts in two weeks :colbert:. I got a timetable to stay on so I can graduate at a decent time.

Similarly, what few engineering courses Michigan offers in spring/summer are only spring, so a full course in 8 weeks. With the time crunch that comes with that, we ended up havin two exams within two weeks of each other. The prof wasn't happy that almost everyone missed one of the questions on the first exam, so he put the exact same problem on the second but changed one of the variables. I can almost guarantee most people missed the question the second time as well.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You know what's the best time to send out a message that someone hasn't completed a prerequisite and is being dropped from their class that starts in a little more than a week? 5 pm, since there's absolutely no way that there could be an error that would need to be addressed immediately.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
One week into the semester and I have no motivation to do anything. 2600 words worth of assignments in two weeks! Two lovely certificate things I need to have done by the end of this or next week! Some ungraded group presentation we're going to have to do weekly! gently caress them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Random Stranger posted:

You know what's the best time to send out a message that someone hasn't completed a prerequisite and is being dropped from their class that starts in a little more than a week? 5 pm, since there's absolutely no way that there could be an error that would need to be addressed immediately.

drat, that's worse than the garbage I've been put through.

I had to set up a direct deposit account with my university because I got a temp job, and saw that I was required to drop a course I didn't have a prerequisite for that I planned to take in September. This course was offered once a year in the winter semester for the last 15 years, but they all of a sudden decided last April that it would be changed to fall. They were going to have the course this fall, skip next year, then offer it again in 2018, because since they offered it twice in one year, they were required to skip it once for some reason. I was lined up to do my practicum in September and October this year, but had to put that off to take that course they switched up so I wouldn't have to take a year off to graduate. Guess what the prerequisite is for the course? The practicum, of course! I e-mailed the department explaining my situation and thankfully a week later they dropped the prereq requirement and I'm still enrolled, but goddamn I was panicking for a while.

• Locked thread