Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
This thread makes me want to buy a VW because I like things everyone else hates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

VW became a poo poo company when it stopped making dirt cheap, dead-simple cars with equally dead-simple air cooled engines like the Beetle.

Being able to quick-change a belt while the engine's running has got to be GWM somehow :)

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Moneyball posted:

This thread makes me want to buy a VW because I like things everyone else hates.

I want a Yugo or Gremlin, myself.

Content:

I went over to my friend's house last week. He constantly complains about his lack of funds, despite being DINK with his girlfriend. (Lower class jobs, but still full time employment for both of them.)

I found out how he pulled this off, as he showed me his latest purchases of that week; ten $60-80 PS4 games.

Apparently, he automatically buys all the new PS4 releases that make it to Australia. He told me he doesn't even play most of them more than once.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Moneyball posted:

I hear Westboro baptist Church is looking for someone just like you.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Sic Semper Goon posted:

I want a Yugo or Gremlin, myself.

Content:

I went over to my friend's house last week. He constantly complains about his lack of funds, despite being DINK with his girlfriend. (Lower class jobs, but still full time employment for both of them.)

I found out how he pulled this off, as he showed me his latest purchases of that week; ten $60-80 PS4 games.

Apparently, he automatically buys all the new PS4 releases that make it to Australia. He told me he doesn't even play most of them more than once.
What's a lower class job?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Any job title that's not a 3 letter acronym.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Any time I see VW in this thread my brain reads it at BWM. Seems accurate.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
:siren: AI IS LEAKING :siren:

Someone please do the needful and plug it with a horse carcass, tia

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Zo posted:

Any job title that's not a 3 letter acronym.
I ask because clearly he is Australian and in this weird country of ours "lower class" jobs could be earning $$$. My brother is a plumber and makes more than me as a Research Assistant and will continue to make more even after I finish my PhD. "Lower class" is bs.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Cross post from Everest thread.

Spending $25k to climb mount Everest: BWM.

Spending another $25k to bring your wife along, then abandoning her to die at the summit: GWM, as compared to typical divorce costs.

Yeah this really just happened.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Zo posted:

Spending another $25k to bring your wife along, then abandoning her to die at the summit: GWM, as compared to typical divorce costs.

:stare:

Link?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Was that the militant vegan woman?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Zo posted:

with a little more nuance than forums poster zo likes to provide

quote:

Her mother, Maritha Strydom, said she was glad the couple had been together in Dr Strydom's final moments.

"When I met him I was so happy my daughter met such a kind, wonderful person," she said.

"[Knowing she died in his arms] comforted me, because that's where she would want to be."

You always seem angry, Zo. Why don't you get a massage or quit your job or something?

in before "why don't you go gently caress yourself???!!?" :xd:

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

That would definitely be the disingenuous clickbait synopsis of what dying in one of the most remote and inhospitable points on the face of the Earth entails

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Oh well obviously if you leave out the part where he abandons her, then of course it'll seem like he didn't abandon her

quote:

The Melbourne university lecturer died as she attempted to descend the mountain after being stricken with altitude sickness.

"I asked, 'Do you mind if I go on?' and she said … 'Yes you go on, I'll wait for you here'," her husband Robert Gropel told Channel Seven's Sunday Night program.

"I didn't want to separate from her, I wanted her to keep going," he said.

"I also understood that she was just very exhausted … From that position, the summit did not look that far.

"When I made it to the summit of Everest, it wasn't special for me because I didn't have her there.

"I just ran up and down and it didn't mean anything to me, because we do everything together.

"Everything else we did together was much more special."

When asked if he blamed himself for his wife's death, Mr Gropel said "of course".

Oh no your wife is literally exhausted to the point of not being able to move in a place called "the death zone". Hey honey just chill for a bit while I scratch this off my bucket list haha chill get it!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

For what it's worth, there is effectively no saving someone who falls incapacitated on Everest at the very highest altitudes. If you stop to try to save them you are virtually guaranteeing your own death. We're talking literally carrying them when your body is already barely carrying itself. It's tacitly known and agreed upon for Everest (and similar) that there are some situations where attempting to save your partner just means that you both die, and that you should save yourself in those situations.

It's hosed up but it's just the reality of mountaineering at such extreme altitudes.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Beat me to it. The death zone is called that for a reason, you cannot do anything for anyone else at that altitude.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Guinness posted:

For what it's worth, there is effectively no saving someone who falls incapacitated on Everest at the very highest altitudes. If you stop to try to save them you are virtually guaranteeing your own death. We're talking literally carrying them when your body is already barely carrying itself. It's tacitly known and agreed upon for Everest (and similar) that there are some situations where attempting to save your partner just means that you both die, and that you should save yourself in those situations.

It's hosed up but it's just the reality of mountaineering at such extreme altitudes.

That's what makes those story so hosed up. She was still capable of descending, as evidenced by her attempt to descend after her husband returned. If they turned around right away who knows what would have been the result. But no, hubby has to summit, so she gets to sit an extra however long in the death zone.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Zo posted:

That's what makes those story so hosed up. She was still capable of descending, as evidenced by her attempt to descend after her husband returned. If they turned around right away who knows what would have been the result. But no, hubby has to summit, so she gets to sit an extra however long in the death zone.

Ok yeah that is hosed up.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Nitrox posted:

Was that the militant vegan woman?
I'm going to quote myself here, because the above linked article doesn't say a word about her militant veganism.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/the-death-of-the-vegan-climber-was-a-tragedy-but-her-diet-was-irrelevant-a7046191.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...or-frostbitten/

quote:

Maria Strydom set out to climb seven summits in seven countries with her husband Robert Gropel, in an attempt to ‘prove that vegans can do anything and more’. Acknowledging the outdated stereotypes surrounding vegan diets (you know the ones), Maria’s journey was an attempt to dispel these, and show how healthy you can be on a vegan diet. This commendable motivation has resulted in a cruel media backlash.

I wonder why she's being mocked by the media.

Keep forgetting this is not the schadenfreude thread

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Suspicious Lump posted:

What's a lower class job?

He's a baker, and she's a assistant manager at a fast food place.

So, not office jobs in the city, basically.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Call me uptight, but I'm not comfortable calling people "Bad With Money" based on actions that result in their death, even if they are superstars in the lulzy GBS Mt. Everest dead people fanfic thread

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

But if they have a positive savings rate, death is BWM.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Zo posted:

Hypoxia can really gently caress up judgement. It's very possible in the thin air, this seemed like a better idea to the couple than it seems from the outside; she very likely did not properly perceive she was as close to death as she was.

EDIT: I can't find it now but, check out footage of pilots having their judgement texted in hypoxia. It's really terrifying how even people trained for survival situations lose it all when receiving low amounts of oxygen - they can just unwind, become giddy and euphoric and, try to take their oxygen masks off, etc.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 30, 2016

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Nitrox posted:

I wonder why she's being mocked by the media.

Keep forgetting this is not the schadenfreude thread

The media is pretty roundly lionizing her. It's goons that are mocking her.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Suspicious Lump posted:

Long distance relationship straight into living together... ok not bad. Debit to move, ok ok, reasonable you have a fulltime job and you're taking one extra work. :chanpop: Owns 2 horses :chanpop:. Heavenly lord, this is goooooold. I love the words she uses "supporting", like theyre disabled, or you're in a relationship with them.

What have the other moms posted in response?

So far we have a couple recommendations for Dave Ramsey's course (which is $100?), a suggestion to consider a half lease with the horse (which seems to be renting it out to another person), and some suggestions to shop at second-hand stores.

She's already doing a half-lease.

Also two people who responded identified with her struggle because they have to plan and pay for a wedding.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Is it BWM if they had life insurance policies that they'd paid only so much into by that point?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

necrobobsledder posted:

Is it BWM if they had life insurance policies that they'd paid only so much into by that point?

Well, yeah it would definitely be BWM because life insurance probably wouldn't pay out on death by extreme mountainclimbing

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

pr0zac posted:

The media is pretty roundly lionizing her. It's goons that are mocking her.

I guess that depends on which articles you read.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I'm sure this will become BWM at some point: Horse Discrimination.

quote:

Would it be legal for a stable to only allow Christians to board their horses there?

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Well, yeah it would definitely be BWM because life insurance probably wouldn't pay out on death by extreme mountainclimbing

I thought after keeping your policy for two years you can pretty much do whatever you want.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

potatoducks posted:

I thought after keeping your policy for two years you can pretty much do whatever you want.

I believe a lot of policies exclude "extreme" activities or ones where you should expect death. Everest is pretty much the definition of expecting death.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ban all private car ownership.

EDIT: wait no the car derail ended already sorry!

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 30, 2016

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Hypoxia can really gently caress up judgement. It's very possible in the thin air, this seemed like a better idea to the couple than it seems from the outside; she very likely did not properly perceive she was as close to death as she was.

EDIT: I can't find it now but, check out footage of pilots having their judgement texted in hypoxia. It's really terrifying how even people trained for survival situations lose it all when receiving low amounts of oxygen - they can just unwind, become giddy and euphoric and, try to take their oxygen masks off, etc.

Aren't you supposed to make the sherpas bring cans of oxygen specifically so that doesn't happen though?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Aren't you supposed to make the sherpas bring cans of oxygen specifically so that doesn't happen though?

Sorry about perpetuating derail, but what would stop someone to suck on oxygen during the entire climb? Or at least when things aren't looking so hot?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Zero One posted:

I'm sure this will become BWM at some point: Horse Discrimination.

You would imagine that christians knew a loving thing or two about the value of letting others use your stable!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Mostly because it's far too heavy to carry enough to breathe with it the whole way.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

I believe a lot of policies exclude "extreme" activities or ones where you should expect death. Everest is pretty much the definition of expecting death.

Even after the 2 year contestability period? My policy doesn't say anything like that. I had to do some extra work because I'm a scuba diver, but it doesn't have restrictions on new activities. I'm pretty sure I could die on Everest tomorrow and they'd still pay out. For sure I could blow my brains out tomorrow and they'd still pay out.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

potatoducks posted:

Even after the 2 year contestability period? My policy doesn't say anything like that. I had to do some extra work because I'm a scuba diver, but it doesn't have restrictions on new activities. I'm pretty sure I could die on Everest tomorrow and they'd still pay out. For sure I could blow my brains out tomorrow and they'd still pay out.

No they don't say that. You can commit suicide and get the payout if it's after some exclusion period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Nitrox posted:

Sorry about perpetuating derail, but what would stop someone to suck on oxygen during the entire climb? Or at least when things aren't looking so hot?

Nothing. I only paid attention to the Everest thread a few years back and some 14 year old was huffing oxygen the entire way and still died. I highly recommend checking out the Everest thread since it's just a nonstop shitshow of people's pride being the ultimate reason of why they died. I understand that it's super grim, but you can check out some real good examples of bad decision making.

• Locked thread