Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Is there an app that uses any FTP server for automatic backup like dropbox/icloud?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

Housh posted:

Is there an app that uses any FTP server for automatic backup like dropbox/icloud?

I've heard good things about PhotoSync.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Violator posted:

If you have Garage Band you could use that. I just tested it and it will import the audio file from that link I previously posted and then I just used the audio recorder in Garage Band to record 20 seconds of silence. Then export it as an m4a. You could add all sorts of neat effects to make something Jarvis-like if you wanted.

Cool, think I have that on my iMac but need to check. Will the iOS app do it if I get the aiff created?

Violator
May 15, 2003

I would think so, but I've never used iOS Garage Band so I can't say for sure. You could probably import the aiff via iCloud Drive or something.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Michael Scott posted:

When people say Waze is "annoying" they probably didn't take the 10 seconds to turn off whatever was annoying them in Settings.

I use Waze and will happily call it annyoing because there's a bunch of dumb poo poo in it that you're glossing over.

Off the top of my head:

-always uses Location Services
-pesters you to "take a photo" of your destination
-nag screen while typing when moving
-updates with no changelog
-dumb social features
-sleep screen is annoying and shouldn't be necessary at all

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Has anyone noticed Spark seems really slow about fetching messages from gmail lately? Is this similar on other 3rd party mail apps? This is on LTE or speedy wifi.

Google Inbox is fine speed wise but I find it annoying how it hides a lot of mail from me.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

priznat posted:

Has anyone noticed Spark seems really slow about fetching messages from gmail lately? Is this similar on other 3rd party mail apps? This is on LTE or speedy wifi.

Google Inbox is fine speed wise but I find it annoying how it hides a lot of mail from me.

Spark has syncing problems. Outlook is the best iOS mail app, unless you want some crazy power-user feature or something.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

maduin posted:

Spark has syncing problems. Outlook is the best iOS mail app, unless you want some crazy power-user feature or something.

That's a bummer, I liked Spark. Outlook is pretty good too though, I will go back to that.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I don't like outlook. :colbert:

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
oh it's actually Inbox which is the best.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Outlook and Inbox are both good. I just wish there was a third good one so I could continue to use one app per email address.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I really like Airmail, for whatever that's worth.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
So wait. On PC (and I assume OSX), I can go to Internet Radio in itunes and load up my local college station's stream.

But on the ipad mini 4... there's no such option? What the hell?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

skooma512 posted:

So wait. On PC (and I assume OSX), I can go to Internet Radio in itunes and load up my local college station's stream.

But on the ipad mini 4... there's no such option? What the hell?

iOS doesn't have built-in support for internet radio, but there are third-party apps like iHeartRadio that can do it.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Another vote for Outlook. I'm managing 4 accounts with it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My one quibble with outlook vs spark is the archive button is less convenient, top right instead of centre bottom in Spark. Otherwise it's very nice and quick.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
What's the go to for To Do apps that can be shared? My wife needs to help me not have the memory of a goldfish when it comes to things to do around the house

Secondly, is there a way to backup a shared photo album other than just downloading all the photos?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

~Coxy posted:

I use Waze and will happily call it annyoing because there's a bunch of dumb poo poo in it that you're glossing over.

Off the top of my head:

-always uses Location Services
-pesters you to "take a photo" of your destination
-nag screen while typing when moving
-updates with no changelog
-dumb social features
-sleep screen is annoying and shouldn't be necessary at all

I always appreciate an accurate rebuttal. You're totally right, I would get rid of all of that crap. The sleep button is kind of nice to immediately kill location services without force-closing the app. The always-uses-location should be a setting.

The social features are maybe necessary as a gamification to keep the masses reporting accidents, etc.

I'm glad you still use it, though, as I think Waze's navigation and alerts are the best in the business. Everything else about it is kind of lame.

Violator posted:

Alright, so this is super nerdy and a ridiculous first world problem, but how do folks handle saucy pics from their partners?

-- If we use the native Photos app and iCloud Sharing then everything gets synced and is browsable from each device in the house. I don't want guests seeing my wiener if I pull up Photos app on the AppleTV to show vacation photos.
-- If we use iMessage then the photos get synced to each device and I have to go through each device (laptop, desktop, iPhone, iPad) and delete them so I don't have them displayed in apps on each device.
-- I don't want something where you could easily accidentally post to a social network. I don't want to post sausage on Instagram or something.
-- Filters and FX would be neat ("City Noir really makes my rear end pop, honey!").
-- I'd like to be able to save the keeper photos. The recipient being able to import into Dropbox would be aces.
-- Receiving a non-thumbnailed notification would be great.

Right now we're using Dropbox because it's fairly self contained and password lockable, but it's a pain in the rear end because you have to use two apps (camera app + import to Dropbox) to send a photo and there's no notifications. Ideally I'd like something where you could take a photo, add a filter, and send it super quick and easy. Then the other person gets a SFW notification, can save it or delete it, and not worry about it showing up places where other folks can see it.

I feel like a real goon.txt for overanalyzing this, but I have no idea what the current app landscape is for stuff like this since I'm old and out of touch. :ohdear: Is this something where Snapchat or whatever is what people use? :iiam:

The masses use Snapchat for this. When you choose to screenshot, it will be placed in Photos. You can quickly delete it and place in Dropbox from there.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 31, 2016

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Irritated Goat posted:

What's the go to for To Do apps that can be shared? My wife needs to help me not have the memory of a goldfish when it comes to things to do around the house

If you want the path of least resistance, just create a shared list in reminders. Works well enough.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Irritated Goat posted:

Secondly, is there a way to backup a shared photo album other than just downloading all the photos?

Wunderlist

No

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What are you guys using for weather? I like something that shows both Celsius and Fahrenheit at the same time and keeps track of multiple cities. I've been using the bloated adware Weather Network app on my phone for years because it's been accurate.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

The masses use Snapchat for this. When you choose to screenshot, it will be placed in Photos. You can quickly delete it and place in Dropbox from there.

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Irritated Goat posted:

AnyList is good.
Only downside is the subscription to be able to access the website or Mac app is a little steep.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

The social features are maybe necessary as a gamification to keep the masses reporting accidents, etc.

I don't mind the gamification / reporting / alerting aspects (got some likes for reporting a multanova on an artifically slowed dual carriageway with limited access) but I find the stuff like shared drives and in-app friends a bit dumb.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I like the shared drives. I use them pretty much daily.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a version of Tasker for iphone basically i want to automate my bluetooth turning on at certain time and turn off at certain time etc

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nope, Third party apps don't have access to turning hardware features on/off.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Workflow is as close as it gets to tasker but is limited to iOS's boundaries.

s0urc3
Mar 1, 2009

The ship is now armed and preparing to explode. This will be a fairly large explosion, so you'd best keep back about 22 miles.
I love my Live Photos, some of them have come to mean as much to me as any still photo. Is there any particularly good way to back these up in a somewhat universal format?

I use Google photos for sharing and such, and it seems to play them fine, I'd just like a local backup as well.

Violator
May 15, 2003

s0urc3 posted:

I love my Live Photos, some of them have come to mean as much to me as any still photo. Is there any particularly good way to back these up in a somewhat universal format?

I use Google photos for sharing and such, and it seems to play them fine, I'd just like a local backup as well.

In Photos on Mac, if you select File -> Export Unmodified Original then it will export both a JPG and MOV of the Live Photo. Not completely self contained, but it's a way to at least have them backed up in a format readable by any app.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Irritated Goat posted:

- Reminders is actually pretty good

- Wunderlist is also pretty good, but Microsoft bought it and if history is to be believed, will kill it before to long

- Todoist is really good and has more features, but you gotta pay for a subscription if you want them

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Abu Dave posted:

Is there a version of Tasker for iphone basically i want to automate my bluetooth turning on at certain time and turn off at certain time etc

Activator can do this, but it's for jailbroken phones only.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Abu Dave posted:

Bluetooth and wifi are also extremely low power so unless they're connecting to something unwanted and you can't fix it, it's best to just leave them on forever.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Huh maybe ill do that, used to my old HTC One which would drain so fast with bluetooth

s0urc3
Mar 1, 2009

The ship is now armed and preparing to explode. This will be a fairly large explosion, so you'd best keep back about 22 miles.

Violator posted:

In Photos on Mac, if you select File -> Export Unmodified Original then it will export both a JPG and MOV of the Live Photo. Not completely self contained, but it's a way to at least have them backed up in a format readable by any app.

I think alongside with the apps that do semi-native support, that's perfect, thank you!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Not exclusively iOS app related but heads up if you use KeePass

https://twitter.com/comex/status/738112743857901568

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
And for context, that tweet is a reaction to news that any attacker can safely man in the middle a Keepass update from start to finish, because the update check, the website to download the update, and the downloader built into Keepass that can grab the update are all served in plain HTTP.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just :lol: if you're not using 1Password and Paprika for all your password recipe needs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I use Beweather and Overcast for my passwords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I recommend Microsoft Word for passwords.