Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

Is that what happened? Blaze didn't actually fire the gun?

She probably did, and Tracy is feeding her false information to shake out the fact that she knows more than she could without being the murderer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not entirely sure how I feel about employees' wage demands being presented on the same level as all the other stuff.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (May 7, 1951)

Barnaby (October 12, 1942)

Nancy (June 21, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (March 4, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (April 2, 1923)

Lil' Abner (November 16, 1936)

This week, I'm adding Barney Google to my dailies. Best known nowadays as the precursor to Snuffy Smith, Barney Google was immensely popular in the 1920s, and was even the topic of a hit song. I'm beginning in March of 1922, which is about four months before Spark Plug enters the strip.

Barney Google (March 20, 1922)

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

I used to play this all the time as a kid with a nerf football. It's called the body part game.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mark Trail Meets Badass Toad-Eating Amphibious Spiders

Yup, this plan has never backfired on itself. I'm guessing the spiders will evolve into giant poisonous man-eating monsters (that make up 80% of the Australian fauna) in about five years.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Viivi & Wagner

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Strontium posted:

Ok, i actually laughed at this one.

Strontium posted:

Viivi & Wagner

She's loving this pig.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

TyrsHTML posted:

She's loving this pig.

He's supposed to be an everyday Finnish guy. And what you're seeing here are the bland remains of a strip that exhausted all of it's jokes like 15 years ago. It was pretty good when it started out.

Moomin

Classic Dilbert

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom Gets a New Artist

And already everyone's muscular definition has dropped dramatically.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

God, just say CPR, Mark. You're not even saying it out loud, who are you trying to impress?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (April 1, 1929)

Peanuts (June 2, 1969)

Today is Cranky Shafterbean because hey everybody, it's yet another lovely crossover!

Their newspaper is called The Paper. Media consolidation is a bitch like that in "ten years from now but somehow also in the present".

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (May 6-7, 1929)

Thimble Theater (December 17, 1929)

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

EasyEW posted:

Today is Cranky Shafterbean because hey everybody, it's yet another lovely crossover!

On the bright side, since TomBat likes to pretend his ability to write two overlapping plotlines separated by ten years makes him oh-so-clever, this might get us out of the grueling therapy bits in Crankshaft in favor of grueling crossover crap.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom Gets a New Artist

Ouch, this is a pretty sharp change. I can already tell I'm going to need everyone to announce their name whenever they appear for quite a while.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

She probably did, and Tracy is feeding her false information to shake out the fact that she knows more than she could without being the murderer.

Or she pointed the gun at her and she had a heart attack out of fear.

New Phantom artist guy is apparently not as fond of the wide-shouldered, powerful frame. The faces look a bit off as well. Might just need to get used to it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oops, forgot to post yesterday so enjoy a double-shot!

The Classic Dinette Set

Working Daze

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

treasureplane posted:

This week, I'm adding Barney Google to my dailies. Best known nowadays as the precursor to Snuffy Smith, Barney Google was immensely popular in the 1920s, and was even the topic of a hit song. I'm beginning in March of 1922, which is about four months before Spark Plug enters the strip.

Barney Google (March 20, 1922)

Your comics keep getting better and better! Thanks for posting them. May I ask where you are pulling these from? The quality is great.

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

The Singer Building would have been very painful to sit on once it was completed. Thankfully, it was still under construction in 1907. It was torn down in 1968 to put up this ugly building. :smith:

That would not be the last misfortune for the Lusitania: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Lusitania

Outbursts of Everett True

Ah, 1918 Everett True.

And He Did.

Guess If They Are Married!

Whoops Sisters click for big.

Illustrating Webster

Good Time Guy (click for big)

"I thought you were off me like an amputation."

Banana Oil! click for big.

Dave’s Delicatessen (click for big)
\

Mopsy

Feiffer (click for big)

Jaf

Wee Pals (click for big)

Mr. Tweedy

Andy Capp (click for big)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True

As much as I enjoy his usual routine of grouchily walloping annoyances, it is nice to see Everett having a genuinely good time every once in a while.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Somebody go tell old man Piraro that it's time for his stories

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Inspector Danger

Deep Dark Fears

:stwoon:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
idk :effort:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tiggum posted:

God, just say CPR, Mark. You're not even saying it out loud, who are you trying to impress?
She should never have tried diving without a self-contained underwater breathing apparatus.

F Minus

Well, weddings are expensive.

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Just another day in the life of Rex "Mo' Money" Morgan.

Secret Agent X-9

It seems to me that creating a cover through arrest records for your undercover operatives would not be a very unusual order.

Apartment 3-G

If your plan is to have attractive young women come on strong to men, I don't think it will work out the way you want it to.

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger

I am pretty sure the standard paper size in the US is 8.5 x 11.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

:perfect:

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Worst Comic in the Thread, or, Gasoline Alley

Phoebe and her Unicorn, or, Heavenly Nostrils

Middle School Action Comics!, or, Big Nate

Descent into Madness, or, Ziggy

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Best Comic in the Thread, or, Cul de Sac

In the interest of fairness, management has invited a member of the unicorn community to offer a rebuttal to the opinions expressed in the comic above.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

I guess that answers that question.

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Dr. Dos posted:

I used to play this all the time as a kid with a nerf football. It's called the body part game.

I used to play a similar game in the pool and we called it Jaws.

No Jungle Jim today. I guess it's just a Sunday thing!

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

Dear Colorist,

Even if Ms. Rankin is the kind of "cool" teacher who wears jeans to school, she probably still wouldn't reveal her midriff. You wouldn't believe the parental complaints she'd get. Parents are even more uptight than newspaper comics readers. That line on her belly was probably meant to be blue.

Love,
Julet

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

I guess that answers that question.
I'm guessing they want to keep Blaze around and make her more a good guy, so they're removing the outright murder from her history. Sure, she still tried to murder Flaky Biscuits, and thought she did, but she didn't. Technically.
You know, there's still at least some chance some other people will come to this silent film screening that you advertised with posters for anyone to attend, and they may choose the love seat before one of those uncomfortable chairs.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 31, 2016

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

You really should send this to Jam Esallen. It's perfect.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

He probably means he needs to come to terms with his past or something, but I'd prefer to think the shrink is just as sick of whiny guy's poo poo as everyone else.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

At this point the best Mark can manage is mild disapproval.

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Dark Side of the Horse

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Odonata posted:

Worst Comic in the Thread, or, Gasoline Alley
I swear there's been like 2 loving panels since that interview on tv where he hasn't been mentioning his gold cane that he got for being the oldest guy in town, and one of those panels was asking if the other character remembered the tv interview they both finished watching like two strips previous. Just mercy kill him already.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lara looks like she's either incredibly bored, or she's about to break up with him.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

Deep Dark Fears

:stwoon:

Same!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Old Finnish trick for surviving those cold winter nights.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Odonata posted:

Middle School Action Comics!, or, Big Nate

"Oh no, here comes whitey"? :yikes:

Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Darkest Auer posted:

"Oh no, here comes whitey"? :yikes:

"Whitey" as a nickname for a person with light blond hair seems to be a New England thing -- my brother got the same nickname when he used to work on a farm in Massachusetts.

Anyway, Post-Memorial-Day Catch-Up Part I!

Buni

Edge of Oh My God That Head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'll say that's a strange look :stare:

• Locked thread