Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I did use goo gone, but it's hard to get on the underside of the window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Enfys posted:

Thank you. I always fill all the way, but I generally wait until I am down to the E or near it for no particular reason other than that is how I have always done it.

I have read people here talking about getting oil changes every three months, but every mechanic or auto shop I have ever gone to only recommends once a year with the annual service (I don't live in the US). Should I be doing more to keep my car running longer? Yearly seems to be the norm here, which is why the every three months thing surprised me. It is a used car, and I would like it to last a good few years.

You should go by what the service manual says, which will be either a time or mileage interval. Do the oil at the lower of either; if it says to do it every 6k miles/6 months, and you've done 6k miles in 4 months, change the oil. If you do 3k miles in 6 months, change the oil. If you don't have the service manual for your car, information is pretty easy to find online.

If you have more specific questions about maintenance, the AI Stupid Question Thread will probably be able to help you out.

hooah posted:

I did use goo gone, but it's hard to get on the underside of the window.

That's fair enough, it can be annoying to get it in tight places. Maybe some paper towel on the end of a stick? Or you could just use masking tape like was recommended earlier.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Muttonchips posted:

Would you mind explaining this in more depth? I've always been terrible at math.

A $10,000 debt at 10% would mean the interest is $1000. A $700 debt at 10% would mean the interest is at $70. In this case, wouldn't you want to start cutting down on the 10,000 before you pay off the $700 to cut down the interest and end up paying less?

Sigh. You actually have $10700 at 10% interest in debt. Every dollar you owe is subject to interest, not the lump sum, so each dollar in both accounts is accruing interest at the same rate. It doesn't matter which account you pay off first.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Goo Gone will work wonders. A single-edged razor blade will also scrape just about anything off glass.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Can anyone else touch the tip of their nose with their upper lip?

I think I'm the only person I've met who can do this and I've used it in dumb ice breaker activities a bunch and whole rooms full of people have been unable to do it!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

tuyop posted:

I think I'm the only person I've met who can do this and I've used it in dumb ice breaker activities a bunch and whole rooms full of people have been unable to do it!

I would think that actually being a chimpanzee would be a much cooler icebreaker than just being able to touch your nose with your lip. But I guess if you're trying not to draw too much attention to yourself, the lip thing works fine.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Crankit posted:

Thanks for your help guys, I guess I've learnt a very important lesson here: Never have a dream.

Please post your wonder food idea.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

tuyop posted:

Yes. Sorry, you can't patent your face.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

Namarrgon posted:

Helpful information

Thank you so much for answering this! And you did a better job than the jackass who was being a smug condescending rear end-muncher about the whole thing.

quote:

sigh yeah ok let me give you unhelpful information
:fuckoff:

Muttonchips fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 30, 2016

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Muttonchips posted:

Thank you so much for answering this! And you did a better job than the jackass who was being a smug condescending rear end-muncher about the whole thing.

:fuckoff:

I have never loving understood the propensity of people on these forums to see an answered question and then insist on answering it exactly the same way as has already been done, with the added bonus of acting like a complete prick to the original asker.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Memento posted:

I have never loving understood the propensity of people on these forums to see an answered question and then insist on answering it exactly the same way as has already been done, with the added bonus of acting like a complete prick to the original asker.

In a few cases, it's because answering the question took a while and the person answering didn't preview to see if it had been answered yet.

But primarily it's because its easy to click quote and respond rather than read through other responses. Someone who is frustrated or whatever (as evidenced by being a jerk) is more likely to do something hasty like that, so you see a correlation there.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Anybody who asks an open-ended question about a random topic who does not like the way someone (who is giving freely of their time) answers the question needs to log off, turn off the computer and go outside for a while.

It's not on the answerer to do anything but answer. It's sometimes better if they have some knowledge about things, but even if they don't, often the incorrect answer draws better corrections than the original question could by being better tuned, so to speak. People are more likely to correct an error than answer a question. very few people write Wikipedia articles from whole cloth. Lots of people correct errors in them.

If you pay someone for answers, expect customer service. If you are getting answers for free, seriously, suck it the gently caress up.

The world does not in any sense revolve around you. I ask some questions in this thread, I answer some questions in this thread, but mostly I like hearing smart funny people teach me random poo poo I would never otherwise know about. And sometimes the cleverer answer is just more fun, even if it is obnoxious to some.

And people who are babies about the phrasing of the answers are just self centered twits who forget the world does not exist to service their immediate needs. And they probably drive out some people who would post inn this thread, but can't be assed to deal with crybabies.

Imagine if Fishmech worried about being polite. We'd lose a whole bunch of cool ideas out of our lives.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 30, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

kapalama posted:

Anybody who asks an open-ended question about a random topic who does not like the way someone (who is giving freely of their time) answers the question needs to log off, turn off the computer and go outside for a while.

It's not on the answerer to do anything but answer. It's sometimes better if they have some knowledge about things, but even if they don't, often the incorrect answer draws better corrections than the original question could by being better tuned, so to speak. People are more likely to correct an error than answer a question. very few people write Wikipedia articles from whole cloth. Lots of people correct errors in them.

If you pay someone for answers, expect customer service. If you are getting answers for free, seriously, suck it the gently caress up.

The world does not in any sense revolve around you. I ask some questions in this thread, I answer some questions in this thread, but mostly I like hearing smart funny people teach me random poo poo I would never otherwise know about. And sometimes the cleverer answer is just more fun, even if it is obnoxious to some.

And people who are babies about the phrasing of the answers are just self centered twits who forget the world does not exist to service their immediate needs. And they probably drive out some people who would post inn this thread, but can't be assed to deal with crybabies.

Imagine if Fishmech worried about being polite. We'd lose a whole bunch of cool ideas out of our lives.

Fishmech actually is quite polite though?

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

kapalama posted:

It's not on the answerer to do anything but answer.

Yes, in a thread specifically Called "Small and stupid questions" someone admitting they know nothing about a subject and asking for advice should absolutely not expect a non sarcastic answer from someone.

Because what's better for open discussion than some cock with a false sense of superiority treating people like morons?

If you are literally incapable of answering basic questions without instantly treating people like idiots then you spend to much time on the computer and need to go outside for a while.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Everybody just go outside

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Holy poo poo, I just came back from outside, do not listen to these people. It's loving terrible out there.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

kapalama posted:

misanthropy_teen.txt

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

kapalama posted:

This would be true, except it costs money to make an account here.

Also, if you're going to be a smug sperglord about the whole thing, at least give a halfway decent answer. :shrug:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Muttonchips posted:

Also, if you're going to be a smug sperglord about the whole thing, at least give a halfway decent answer. :shrug:

Money is bad, trade only in bootlegged anime DVDs.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
Seeing as this thread is over 1000+ pages long, which question has been asked the most number of times?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Muttonchips posted:

Seeing as this thread is over 1000+ pages long, which question has been asked the most number of times?

This one.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Muttonchips posted:

yeah but that money goes to lowtax, not to the people answering questions in this thread. also I really doubt anyone made an account just to ask questions in the stupid/small questions thread. at least I'd hope not

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
My advice is good advice, if you're all butthurt about my answer. I paid off 62k of debt in three years by growing the gently caress up and using concepts from 7th grade math instead of crappy motivational psychology filtered through crappy popular personal finance personalities.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kapalama posted:

Did we go to highschool together?

Are you still there?!?!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is it "30 staff" or "30 staff members"?

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

Dear Diary, I'm sorry for all those hateful, racist things I said about you.
I think it's "30 staff" in British English, where collective nouns are plural, and "30 staff members" in American English, where they're singular, but that's just a hunch.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
A couple of what is this questions:

What kind of car is that next to the Beetle?

And what kind of guitar is this (video ca. 1969)?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

A couple of what is this questions:

What kind of car is that next to the Beetle?

I don't know anything about guitars but the car appears to be a vauxhall chevette or one of several regional variations thereof.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

tuyop posted:

My advice is good advice, if you're all butthurt about my answer. I paid off 62k of debt in three years by growing the gently caress up and using concepts from 7th grade math instead of crappy motivational psychology filtered through crappy popular personal finance personalities.

And by growing basil, don't forget that.

FishMist
Apr 24, 2005

*sniff sniff*

Mister Kingdom posted:

My guess is some variety of Mosrite.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How come beer doesn't come in more sweet / fruity flavors? I've been drinking not your fathers because it's smooth and super sweet, and I'm wondering why more aren't like this.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

FishMist posted:

My guess is some variety of Mosrite.

Yes, that's it. It's apparently a Mosrite Combo Hollowbody. Thanks

Slavvy posted:

I don't know anything about guitars but the car appears to be a vauxhall chevette or one of several regional variations thereof.

That's it. Thanks.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

People put flowers in water to make them last longer. How come we don't put vegetables in water, in the fridge, to make them last longer?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What kind of plant is making these purple flowers? There's a lot of them in the area and I don't remember seeing them in past late springs.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Turtlicious posted:

How come beer doesn't come in more sweet / fruity flavors? I've been drinking not your fathers because it's smooth and super sweet, and I'm wondering why more aren't like this.

I don't know what beer you're talking about, but many traditional continental European types of beer are sweet and/or fruity, German wheat beers and Belgian krieks for example. Although if you want your beer to taste less like beer and more like soda, I wouldn't pursue this path (I would pursue cautious steps towards adulthood).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hyperlynx posted:

People put flowers in water to make them last longer. How come we don't put vegetables in water, in the fridge, to make them last longer?

The reason water works for flowers is that it's the simplest way to keep them from wilting, supplying them with water, since they're still a bit alive.

Vegetables meanwhile usually aren't going to rot less just because there's water, and some of them will rot faster.

Turtlicious posted:

There's tons of that around, it's just not currently in fashion where you are.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Turtlicious posted:

Have you tried drinking ciders yet? I'd imagine having more than a couple of those not your father's would have you feeling pretty gross. Cider is sweet and crisp, and it's good on ice.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Turtlicious posted:

In addition to what other posters have added, I'd recommend trying some fruit lambic beers, which are really only "beer" in the broadest sense of the word.

It might just be that you don't like beer, which is perfectly acceptable, and would prefer cider or hard lemonade or something. Go to a decent high-end bottleshop that has people who know about booze and ask about a sampler, lots of places will put together a mixed six pack of things so you can try a variety.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Wine is a delicious vaguely fruity alcoholic beverage. Have you tried wine??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Is there a way to use more than one Dell gift card without calling customer support?