Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Maybe the most :patriot::911::patriot: thing Ive seen this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

....I've never wanted a hump a bridge more in my life.

I shall prove myself a better bridge humper then that fool that tried and so badly failed before me.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

dr_rat posted:

I shall prove myself a better bridge humper then that fool that tried and so badly failed before me.

I dunno man, the standard is already pretty high :nws:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

dr_rat posted:

I also feel a powerful urge to thrust against the unyielding steel and concrete of that bridge.

Maybe we're looking at this wrong, though. Maybe the bridge itself isn't the danger, but the madly jealous man who posted that warning/threat.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pharmaskittle posted:

Maybe we're looking at this wrong, though. Maybe the bridge itself isn't the danger, but the madly jealous man who posted that warning/threat.

Nah, bridge humpers like to share. (See my previous post)

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
Ok, I give up. What the hell does that sign actually mean?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Karma Monkey posted:

Ok, I give up. What the hell does that sign actually mean?

People got the genitals stuck in gaps or burned/froze them on the steel.

I sincerely hope this is it.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Furiously googling "bridge humping is the technical term for?"

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Mithaldu posted:

Furiously googling "bridge humping is the technical term for?"

This is boring :(
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/592/what-does-do-not-hump-mean-on-the-side-of-railroad-cars

-e-
Wait, this is for railroad cars, not bridges :haw:

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 30, 2016

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
There are all those hilarious/interesting videos about stuff getting crushed with a hydraulic press. I guess it's this threads fault that Youtube suggested me this one.
:nms: of course....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ldwuv2ZRy8

Yes, he died. I'm not a doctor, but I'm veeeeeery sure.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
yeah there's a big pool of blood growing from his head

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The fact that the other guy runs in horror instead of making any attempt at seeing how the guy is tells us far more than that grainy video ever will.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Last week the Croatian navy scuttled a old ship called the Vis, which was formerly Tito's back-up yacht/command ship.
http://www.waterline-con.com/index.php/projects/m-y-vis

However they apparently accidentally left a couple guys behind before setting off the scuttling charges.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfUfYoXR1EM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzPxn8l7dms

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
That second video makes it look intentional, like there was a film crew monitoring the cameras. If true, gently caress that job.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

dr_rat posted:

We are a peaceful fellatiocracy! We need no knob ruckus.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dude tried to scoop his mother up :lol:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

That's impressive, I wouldn't even be mad.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

RabbitWizard posted:

There are all those hilarious/interesting videos about stuff getting crushed with a hydraulic press. I guess it's this threads fault that Youtube suggested me this one.

yeah... at :22 you can see the brains ooze out of the side of his head.
splat. Guy was toast before the alarm even went off.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 11:55 on May 31, 2016

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Not really OSHA, but related to recent chat. I've always loved this video of how to pull out a truck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw1xZxUssfs

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

mds2 posted:

Not really OSHA, but related to recent chat. I've always loved this video of how to pull out a truck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw1xZxUssfs

That's what you do with the straps you just go...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

tater_salad posted:

Well it worked :colbert:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

tater_salad posted:

"Dat was hilarious" in rainman voice.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

RabbitWizard posted:

Wonder what the last thing to go through his mind was.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

geeves posted:

Fragments of his skull?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

geeves posted:

"Oh no, not again"

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
I really hope that it was just his nerves last spasms and him still dieing until his body goes limp.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

geeves posted:

The press

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

RabbitWizard posted:

Why did the machine run when open?
It seems to me that it shouldn't run with guard open or at least have a pedal that makes the press run so you can stop it from crushing your head.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

tater_salad posted:

Why did the machine run when open?
It seems to me that it shouldn't run with guard open or at least have a pedal that makes the press run so you can stop it from crushing your head.

There's a high likelihood that it did at one point but someone took the safety measures off because it slowed poo poo down

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Plus who would ever accidentally press the start button while they had ahead in there right, not like that'll ever happen.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
When you're pressed for time you have to use your head otherwise you'll be spread too thin and get squeezed out.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
He'll never be the head of a major corporation.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
That job would just crush me. I could never work there.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

tater_salad posted:

Plus who would ever accidentally press the start button while they had ahead in there right, not like that'll ever happen.

I was working a test program some years back involving testing some acoustic isolation mounts for submarines. One test sequence used a drop tower, just dropping weights on the thing to generate increasing loads while measuring strain output, accelerations, etc. The next test sequence involved mounting the unit horizontally so a big horizontal hydraulic ram could apply a steady and controlled load.

At one point, just after reaching into the arrangement to adjust some wiring, something failed and the hydraulic ram instantly slammed out to full extension, and then lost all pressure. No idea what happened, it wasn't our facility (we were just their to administer the testing for them), and we weren't operating it. Maybe an accumulator was overpressure and vented into the actuator or something, but I can't think that "go to maximum extension *right now*" is ever an acceptable failure mode. If it had happened three seconds earlier, I'd probably have lost an arm. The test unit, HY100 steel, was *cracked*.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

dr_rat posted:

It reminds me of those proposed signs/monuments for nuclear storage at Yucca Mountain that are like,
"No great men or deeds are interred here, only death awaits." and architecture that is just meant to impose a sense of danger and foreboding.

Fake edit: Ahhh, here we are:
http://www.wipp.energy.gov/picsprog/articles/wipp%20exhibit%20message%20to%2012,000%20a_d.htm

Actual quote:

quote:

This place is a message...and part of a system of messages...pay attention to it!

Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.

This place is not a place of honor...no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here...nothing valued is here.

What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.

The danger is in a particular location...it increases toward a center...the center of danger is here...of a particular size and shape, and below us.

The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.

The danger is to the body, and it can kill.

The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.

The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

I mean, seriously, did the people who design this never play a game of D&D in their life? That sign just SCREAMS valuable treasure and magical artifacts within, and maybe a spooky skellington or two.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

DrBouvenstein posted:

It reminds me of those proposed signs/monuments for nuclear storage at Yucca Mountain that are like,
"No great men or deeds are interred here, only death awaits." and architecture that is just meant to impose a sense of danger and foreboding.

Fake edit: Ahhh, here we are:
http://www.wipp.energy.gov/picsprog/articles/wipp%20exhibit%20message%20to%2012,000%20a_d.htm

Actual quote:

I mean, seriously, did the people who design this never play a game of D&D in their life? That sign just SCREAMS valuable treasure and magical artifacts within, and maybe a spooky skellington or two.

DEFCON 1: The skeletons and radiation are already inside your body.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Blistex posted:

He'll never be the head of a major corporation.

Thats no way to get ahead in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DrBouvenstein posted:

That's actually the exact problem keeping any of this from going forward. We don't know how these theoretical primitive humans or alien explorers are going to react to our warning signs. Anything that tries to make the burial site seem foreboding and deadly has a good chance to be interpreted as "There's something valuable in here that we're trying to keep you from getting". Pictographs showing the radiation killing someone and causing plant life to die were rejected because future humans may read from right to left, causing the comic to look like the radiation brings the dead back to life and nourishes the plants.

In the end, the only surefire way to keep cavemen of the year 200,000 CE from uncovering radioactive materials is to put it somewhere they won't find it, like hurling it into space or burying it so deep and secure that only a society that can understand radiation can have the tools necessary to uncover it.