Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Yeah, one of the few things they took from DS2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I beat O&S in DS1 and now I don't know where I'm supposed to go, shoudl I go through the gates opened w/the seal of artorias or somewhere else? just need a push in the right direction

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Million Ghosts posted:

right now i'm wearing the uchi and the dual katanas just to have a ton of sheathes. i need more sheathes how do i maximize my sword holder count?

Does a second set of dual katanas double up the sheathes?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

gotthards and dual katanas gives you three sheathes

sheathe the swordless

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Frog Act posted:

So I beat O&S in DS1 and now I don't know where I'm supposed to go, shoudl I go through the gates opened w/the seal of artorias or somewhere else? just need a push in the right direction

Go up in the lift that starts going in O&S's room after you beat them, get an item and take it to Firelink Shrine.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Frog Act posted:

Yeah you can go through those gates and go kill Sif. Through Catacombs + Tomb of Giants to kill Nito. New Londo under Firelink to kill Four Kings etc

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There's slightly more things that DS2 started that were carried over than people give DS3 credit for, like having 3 weapon slots and 4 ring slots.

They also copied the blue sentinels/way of blue, and not only did they leave the implementation just as bad as in DS2, they broke the matchmaking. Progress!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Digirat posted:

There's slightly more things that DS2 started that were carried over than people give DS3 credit for, like having 3 weapon slots and 4 ring slots.

They also copied the blue sentinels/way of blue, and not only did they leave the implementation just as bad as in DS2, they broke the matchmaking. Progress!

I mean the implementation is a bit better in some ways. With them encouraging invasions early on with the easily-obtained early REO it gives more chances for blues to counter-invade. But then they hosed that up with making invading lone hosts such a low priority, and making it so easy to summon 2/3 phantoms so as to discourage a lot of people form invading early on/period.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Frog Act posted:

Amazing chest ahead

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I... think the bigger problem is that Blue Sentinels simply do not work for a lot of people.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Qwertycoatl posted:

Go up in the lift that starts going in O&S's room after you beat them, get an item

but before you take the item to the new NPC in firelink

Humans Among Us posted:

go kill Sif [then to] New Londo under Firelink to kill Four Kings

and then take the item to the NPC after the 4K :getin:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Humans Among Us posted:

Yeah you can go through those gates and go kill Sif. Through Catacombs + Tomb of Giants to kill Nito. New Londo under Firelink to kill Four Kings etc

Cool beans, I decided to just go screw around and check out New Londo and it seems pretty cool so I guess I'm gonna do that first. I just wanted to know what general directions I should be going, thanks

Maybe I'll take a side trip to finish off that hydra that pissed me off around level 40

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Also after I beat DS1 should I skip 2 and go straight to 3 or buy scholar of the first sin, people seem to really think 2 is bad

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

It's worth doing all three back to back imho - hell, mix in bloodborne too if you like. With the new game sheen wearing off people are coming out with non-trivial gripes against 3 as well. Some even rank it worst of the soulsborne series :monocle:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Frog Act posted:

Also after I beat DS1 should I skip 2 and go straight to 3 or buy scholar of the first sin, people seem to really think 2 is bad

It's not a bad game, it's actually very good. Some people argue that it's the lowest point in one of the best game series ever made. And usually that's an opinion based on vanilla DS2 at release, not SOTFS (which not only seriously improves on the original game in some great ways but also comes with all of the very-good expansion content)

On my list, SOTFS is definitely better than DeS, slightly better than DS3, and not as good as DS1. DS1 is the pinnacle of the series for me just because it's so well-designed, multiplayer issues notwithstanding

Definitely get SOTFS, it's not necessary for understanding or enjoying DS3 but it's still a really good game. If you enjoyed DS1 then you'll enjoy SOTFS

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 31, 2016

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Frog Act posted:

You should buy Scholar of the first sin, it's the best dark souls game

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

hard counter posted:

Some even rank it worst of the soulsborne series :monocle:

That strikes me as an unusual perspective. Like I could see somebody making the case that any of the five games is the best/their favorite, depending on their personal taste and what criteria they're judging them by, but it's hard to imagine the set of criteria by which all four of the others are superior to DkS3.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

It's not a bad game, it's actually very good. Some people argue that it's the lowest point in one of the best game series ever made. And usually that's an opinion based on DS2, not SOTFS

On my list, SOTFS is definitely better than DeS, slightly better than DS3, and not as good as DS1. DS1 is the pinnacle of the series for me just because it's so well-designed, multiplayer issues notwithstanding

Definitely get SOTFS, it's not necessary for understanding or enjoying DS3 but it's still a really good game. If you enjoyed DS1 then you'll enjoy SOTFS

Agreed. I would also put SotFS ahead of DS3 at the moment. I'd probably put it SotFS, DS1 in the top two spot, no particular order. Then probably DS3, DeS, and DS2 Vanilla. Bloodborne is my fav of the bunch, but that doesn't quite count as a souls games.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Dark Souls III - Every Game is the Worst Game in the Series

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Manatee Cannon posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Dark Souls III - Every Game is the Worst Game in the Series

it's obviously final fantasy 2, dude

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Frog Act posted:

Don't let those nerds deter you. Whether you think 2 is a worse dark souls or not (and many think it's better) there is almost no way to argue that it's a bad game. If it didn't have dark souls in the title you wouldn't hear anywhere near the same level of hate for it.

Once I got past a rocky start to the game, I had more fun with it than any other game in the series.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I had a funny invasion earlier where I entered a world with a host and two phantoms, but I think all three of them were new or something because they were all REALLY scared of me and kept backing up as I "menacingly" walked toward them with my scythe in hand. None of them dared attack me until they were literally backed up against a wall.

I died when they finally worked up the nerve to fight, but they really did not want to be the first to engage. I would have felt bad if it weren't for the fact that I, you know, died.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cyberventurer posted:

I had a funny invasion earlier where I entered a world with a host and two phantoms, but I think all three of them were new or something because they were all REALLY scared of me and kept backing up as I "menacingly" walked toward them with my scythe in hand. None of them dared attack me until they were literally backed up against a wall.

I died when they finally worked up the nerve to fight, but they really did not want to be the first to engage. I would have felt bad if it weren't for the fact that I, you know, died.

Attacks with this large scythe, normally used for crop harvesting, are effective at breaking past shields.

The magnificent sharp curved blade instills fear in opponents. Perhaps it is their survival instinct at work.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I bought SotFS the other day cause I was bored and it's fun for someone who has only seriously played DS3. Is lock on different in that game? Or am I just bad cause lots of times it seems to attack no where near the locked on enemy. Hasn't been an issue until I got to no man's wharf and there's walls everywhere.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The problem with calling any one game the worst in the series is that it implies that that one is bad, which is wrong. All of the Souls games are loving fantastic, and if I could only ever play 3 games again in my life I would pick all three of them in a heartbeat. There is one that is worse than the other two, but it's still better than most of the games out there.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

8th-snype posted:

I bought SotFS the other day cause I was bored and it's fun for someone who has only seriously played DS3. Is lock on different in that game? Or am I just bad cause lots of times it seems to attack no where near the locked on enemy. Hasn't been an issue until I got to no man's wharf and there's walls everywhere.

yes it's a bit different. I would say the main difference is, it doesn't automatically turn you towards the target the same way DS3 does, it's most notable when you roll to avoid an attack.

Gus Hobbleton posted:

The problem with calling any one game the worst in the series is that it implies that that one is bad, which is wrong. All of the Souls games are loving fantastic, and if I could only ever play 3 games again in my life I would pick all three of them in a heartbeat. There is one that is worse than the other two, but it's still better than most of the games out there.

:agreed:

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

8th-snype posted:

Are you using a greatsword or larger? Those attack based on the direction you're moving the analog stick, rather than the object you're targeting. You have to point toward your target or let the stick go if you want it to swing straight ahead.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Cool I'll pick up SOTFS after I beat DS1 then. Also it seems like a lot of people invade assuming they'll just be able to gank the gently caress out of lower level players, especially in Anor Londo, and I'm feeling realyl good that 4/5 the people who invaded me I actually managed to kill. The only one who got me was using some mega fireball thing that also spawned giant magma chunks everywhere

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

LegoPirateNinja posted:

what's nuts is that you can only get ONE caestus per playthrough, so you can't switch from dual wielding to offhanded to parry with the left until NG+. that is completely bonkers. why doesnt Greirat or Patches or the Handmaiden sell it at any point in the game like they do other basic weapons?

Demon Fist also has the Caestus moveset in the off-hand (punch and parry) and the only difference to regular punchy-fist is that it doesn't have the hilariously good tough-it-out move and instead gets a spin-slash-into-launcher combo.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Catacombs of Carthus is the best PVP area in the whole series holy poo poo.its so much fun to invade. gently caress your gank squad,I can cut the bridge, make it across just in time, and watch you get mauled by skeletons. Someone made it across? Two-hand the Lothric Greatshield and shove their loving rear end off the edge

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Does anyone have the face slider values for the firekeeper? Making a similar gimmick character to Handsome Patches, although this one is unfortunately a lot less authentic since her hairstyle isn't available to player characters and they didn't let us get her weird crown-blindfold anywhere. I'd at least like to get the face right though, and the hair color.

Edit: Nevermind, reverse image search on google with the patches image did the trick: http://imgur.com/a/HkrMw

Has all the character face values! Even the ones you don't get to see the face of normally. Marvel at how balding Greirat is.

...Wait, I don't see the firekeeper in this set! Damnation!

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 31, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
If neither her hairstyle nor helm are available, it kind of suggests that her head might be a unique model that you can't really duplicate in the creator, which would also explain why it's not on that page.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh god Consumed King is kind of kicking my pyromancer's rear end. Why! (because he's so skinny the fireballs just sail around him)

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Obligatum VII posted:

Does anyone have the face slider values for the firekeeper? Making a similar gimmick character to Handsome Patches, although this one is unfortunately a lot less authentic since her hairstyle isn't available to player characters and they didn't let us get her weird crown-blindfold anywhere. I'd at least like to get the face right though, and the hair color.

Edit: Nevermind, reverse image search on google with the patches image did the trick: http://imgur.com/a/HkrMw

Has all the character face values! Even the ones you don't get to see the face of normally. Marvel at how balding Greirat is.

...Wait, I don't see the firekeeper in this set! Damnation!

I like to imagine this scrolling by like the cast section of the credits after a movie, and then it gets down to the unnamed characters and one is credited as "nearly naked guy with a rapier".

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Gus Hobbleton posted:

I like to imagine this scrolling by like the cast section of the credits after a movie, and then it gets down to the unnamed characters and one is credited as "nearly naked guy with a rapier".

I like how Yellowfinger Heysel has the same dumb face-paint look that my character has after not playing around with the visual respec options thoroughly enough. Fitting for how she ends up.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkJets posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about, DS2 was an amazing and beautiful game with solid mechanics, fun boss fights, and some really cool areas.

Like did you just dash through the Dragon Aerie and Dragon Shrine? Those places were beautiful and well-designed.

Places like Huntsman Copse were not good but every Souls game has some lovely boring areas (lol smouldering lake)

Dragon Aerie was just okay, had those obnoxious exploding enemies who nobody liked and rickety bridges on top of that. Great place to farm materials.
The Shrine was also a neat location, but the enemies there sucked too, infinite stamina super knights and dragon knight assholes

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Cyberventurer posted:

Are you using a greatsword or larger? Those attack based on the direction you're moving the analog stick, rather than the object you're targeting. You have to point toward your target or let the stick go if you want it to swing straight ahead.

Right now I'm using the rapier cause I heard it was good and the only other good weapon I've found is the fire long sword.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So what should my STR/DEX/END cap be for a medium roll sword and shield knight in DS1? I'm thinking I'll be going for 26 STR, 50 DEX, 40 END by level 120 or so

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Alright this has happened enough now that I have to ask: is there some 'thing' where hosts and invaders can communicate that they're in on killing summoned phantoms? Several times now I've been summoned in to help someone and about halfway through the level they'll get invaded. I'll fight on the assumption that my host will take opportunities that I open up and after acting like they intend to fight they just sit there and let me get killed once I dedicate. The most recent time this happened the host and invader even started clapping at each other once I was killed.

What the gently caress, guys :saddowns: I'm just trying to help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Putting down signs at Yhorm was kind of annoying last night. One guy kept summoning me for help with the jailers and gargoyles and mimics. :|