Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuller9x
Feb 15, 2005

Gimme Milk

pik_d posted:

Chris Harris is on Extra Gear with Rory Reid.

Hopefully Evans stays away and lets Reid and Harris cultivate that chemistry that they started to show in the studio bits, but they tried to cram so much into those 24 minutes of crap no-one cares about. 1 minute of Chris hooning the Atom, 1 minute of awkward Guilia jokes and 20 minutes more of Ginger SHOUTING at everyone, the get to know your TG hosts and the look at the building of the new improved Rallycross track, cause RallyCross is the hot thing. Have we mentioned we have a Rallycross track now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I'm trying to watch the new episode so I can be as disappointed as everyone else.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Chris Evans must have incriminating photos of someone at the BBC, because that's the only reason I can think of as to why the irritating twat stays employed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Extra Gear is pretty cool. They really should have called it Overdrive though. Who is taking bets that the Stig driving the mini around the new track was the guy they had help design the track.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Cojawfee posted:

Extra Gear is pretty cool. They really should have called it Overdrive though. Who is taking bets that the Stig driving the mini around the new track was the guy they had help design the track.

So you're telling me new Stig is Tanner Foust?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

So you're telling me new Stig is Tanner Foust?

The guy they had in the episode that was pointing at things with the construction guys.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Chris Harris is definitely the better Chris of the two. lol that reboot needed to hit it off with a bang. What we got was a wet queef from Chris Evans's screeching face. Why would they put their best cast on the lovely internet post show?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I really was gonna give this a chance but halfway through I was like "well I don't care about any of this and not even the worst racist excesses of the old cast turn me off half as much as Evans does." If they're ever supposed to have hit their stride I'm sure someone will tell me and then I can give it another go.

Imagine a special with this lot.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Christ almighty that was bad.

I was genuinely hopeful. I wanted to punch Chris Evans in those stupid loving glasses from the first minute though. I could barely make it through the episode.

I like Top Gear US more than this. Seriously.

(Seriously it's pretty good, the amphibious cars bit they did a couple weeks ago was great. Yeah it's been done a couple of times, but seeing Tanner make a great car but a lovely boat and for it to sink immediately was fantastic. And the hovercraft Jeep!)

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

That episode of Top Gear aired October 29, 2013. Theres probably not a reason to spoiler it.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Tsuru posted:

I just knew it was going to be bad when they had the gear of the TG logo spinning after the opening tune. They didn't even use some of that multi-million-pound budget to re-render it with proper lighting, oh no.... someone just picked the old one up with after effects and made it spin.

I haven't seen the new version yet, but I thought it always spun. Or maybe that's just the on the DVDs?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Insecure much?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Ola posted:

Insecure much?

"More people watched it than the opener for the last series."

Well yeah, I mean you're always going to have trainspotters, but if the news gets out that a trainwreck is coming then the whole town shows up.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Ola posted:

Insecure much?

Wow is that guy ever the personification of a twat.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
FACT: chris evans needs to stop yelling

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Ola posted:

Insecure much?

Wow. How do you thrive in showbiz with a skin that thin. Sure, I'd be touchy too if I woke up to the near universal panning of my performance in a show built around me posted to every single media platform around the globe. But he's been at this for decades.

They really should have got Steven Coogan in Alan Partdige livery, right down to the stringback gloves, to host it. That way they could keep the air of jocular racism but also look down at English people as well. No way Alan would have left LeBlancpool without voicing some measure of disgust.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't know if it's because I'm as aware as anyone on the internet how much they did it in The Dark Knight, but it seems like New Top Gear is using those "repeat what the audience just saw" reaction cuts a whole heck of a lot. Or maybe old Top Gear did as well and there were just more interesting things happening.

cdc
May 28, 2007

To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?
Extra gear is good and fun
Top gear not so much

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Ola posted:

Insecure much?

lmao

This show has no chance with him in it.

cdc
May 28, 2007

To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?
Sack the ginger oval office and Joey and make extra gear the top gear. I say this as a fellow ginger oval office.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

shadow puppet of a posted:

They really should have got Steven Coogan in Alan Partdige livery, right down to the stringback gloves, to host it. That way they could keep the air of jocular racism but also look down at English people as well. No way Alan would have left LeBlancpool without voicing some measure of disgust.

Sadly nobody in the BBC is that forward thinking anymore... :/

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

ApathyGifted posted:

"More people watched it than the opener for the last series."

Well yeah, I mean you're always going to have trainspotters, but if the news gets out that a trainwreck is coming then the whole town shows up.

167 0-1 "Patagonia Special, Part 1" 27 December 2014 7.21

Or if you prefer the first "proper" episode:

169 1 "Series 22, Episode 1" 25 January 2015 6.41

Compared to

179 1 Series 23, Episode 1 29 May 2016 4.40

So not only is he a loving loud idiotic shithead, he's also a liar.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Oh. My. God. I was expecting dire given the response but.... it exceeded all expectations in how loving much of an annoying oval office Chris Evans truly is. What an utter trainwreck.

And the real pity is that there is a glimmer of a good show in there - LeBlanc clearly will work with a less obnoxious dickhead sidekick. Evans is less appealing than having your dick beaten by a hammer

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Seeing lots of opinions but not too many FACTS buddy.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Chris Evans is an annoying oval office. FACT.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

shadow puppet of a posted:

Seeing lots of opinions but not too many FACTS buddy.

FACT - having your dick beaten by a hammer is indeed less painful than listening to Chris Evans.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

CornHolio posted:

Christ almighty that was bad.

I was genuinely hopeful. I wanted to punch Chris Evans in those stupid loving glasses from the first minute though. I could barely make it through the episode.

I like Top Gear US more than this. Seriously.

(Seriously it's pretty good, the amphibious cars bit they did a couple weeks ago was great. Yeah it's been done a couple of times, but seeing Tanner make a great car but a lovely boat and for it to sink immediately was fantastic. And the hovercraft Jeep!)

seriously? poo poo, my DVR told me it was new. I hadn't seen it before, either way.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Ola posted:

Insecure much?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Chris Harris in the viper i think would have made that segment pretty good.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I now understand why people don't like him. My favorite part was how silent the audience was when he randomly yelled out "Yay!" as Jesse drove over some mud.

Matt Leblanc is cool though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Ola posted:

Insecure much?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
BBC's plan was to put in someone who would be universally hated, sack him after he proves to be awful and then send in someone who will be loved for rescuing the show.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
After watching Extra Gear what I've come away with is that Evans is absolutely the worst. Does he have proof on who knew about Jimmy Savile and when they knew it? And does he use this as blackmail to stay on the air?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Top Gear could have been good, but Chris Evans in studio is just miserable to watch. The filmed segments were OK, but Evans talking in the studio was awful. Leblanc was great. I thought he was really entertaining and fun to watch drive.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

After watching Extra Gear what I've come away with is that Evans is absolutely the worst. Does he have proof on who knew about Jimmy Savile and when they knew it? And does he use this as blackmail to stay on the air?

Probably, there are rumours that he indecently exposes himself to other BBC employees, so travels in same circles I expect.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
God why is he shouting so much?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
LeBlanc is good. Ginger is bad. What's with the pants tucked into the boots?

AND THE YELLING

e: Gordon Ramsey looked so uncomfortable

Tide fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 31, 2016

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Guys I have not smiled once... how can something be so joyless.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Tide posted:

e: Gordon Ramsey looked so uncomfortable

I think it's because he's huge piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Extra Gear is surprisingly good. They really just need to replace new Top Gear with Extra Gear.