Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I want two of him so I can finally start my Melvins tribute band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

He looks like he's entertaining himself. If the camera turned around there's probably no one there but his wife and some of their buddies.

IIRC, that's at Knoebel's Groves amusement park in PA (my family's from there, I walked by that bandstand at least once every year as a kid) and there's usually like ten, twenty people sitting around watching whatever's on at the bandstand---and more in line for the bumper cars.

The bumper cars there are really good.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 31, 2016

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Bill Posters posted:

Alternatively... never not do this.

A drummer who never drops the beat is worth any amount of crazy flailing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

praxis posted:

I'm a 40 year old drummer who pretends to be a rockstar on the weekends. I don't know of anything drummers my age do that is comparable to what these blues dads are doing. Other than drooling over expensive drums it seems the only thing drummers my age are guilty of is playing crazy double bass that usually has no place in the music. If any non-drummers can offer an outsider's perspective I would appreciate it. Also, I'm just past the halfway point of this thread. I'm gonna make it, goddammit.

My dad (58yo) plays drums, and while he does drool over expensive drums and look at drumming videos on Youtube all the time, he's also not very into "all that trendy stuff" like double bass drums and stuff. He thinks most drummers these days just want to play as fast as possible and can't be bothered with the actual rhythm, so he's more like a drum curmudgeon dad than a drum blues dad.

There was a brief period where he was very into getting the perfect tightness on the skins and stuff, alternating between using analog and digital dials, but he's ditched all of that and just tightens the skins until no ripples show when he pushes down on the middle with his knuckles. Seems to work pretty darn well.

He recently replaced his cheap, but decent-sounding Pearl drums with a complete Premier Gen X set, and holy poo poo what a difference. Those are really loving nice drums. Maybe not for the ~$4.5K normal price, but definitely for the ~$1.2K he paid.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:58 on May 31, 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

He looks like he's entertaining himself. If the camera turned around there's probably no one there but his wife and some of their buddies.

iirc the story behind that guy is he's a metal dude but the cover band band actually makes money so he goes apeshit to stave off boredom and obviously it got him a little notoriety

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Original Real Marshall Half Stack Fridge for Your Studio Man Cave posted:

Like New ! Original cost $379.00.
Considering offers - Cash or Trades for high quality gear.

Original Collectible Marshall Half Stack Fridge for Your Studio Man Cave. Real Fridge !
Nothing is cooler than this Marshall Fridge for your Studio or Man Cave !!!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall/Compact-Refrigerator-1360008823138.gc

The Marshall Compact Refrigerator looks just like a classic Marshall stack because it uses authentic Marshall parts and control knobs (which go to 11), authentic black fret cloth, accented with classic white piping and brass rivets, the iconic Marshall logo across the middle as it would be on a real amp, and topped off with an engraved Jim Marshall signature. While it doesn't make your guitar sing, it'll keep your stomach from feeling distorted with 4 cu. ft. of refrigerator space and .4 cu. ft. freezer compartment (adjustable from 0 to -6 degrees) for your heavy metal ice cubes. Other features include an adjustable tempered glass shelf, convenient can storage, reversible door, adjustable front leg, flush back design and a low decibel compressor. Limited one-year warranty.

Features
4 Cu. Ft. refigerator
.4 Cu Ft. freezer compartment
Adjustable tempered glass shelf
Can storage space
Reversible door
Adjustable front leg
Flush back design
Low decibel compressor
Authentic black fret cloth accented with classic white piping and brass rivets
Marshall logo on "grille"
Jim Marshall signature on faceplate of "amp head"

God I love craigslist

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

comes along bort posted:

iirc the story behind that guy is he's a metal dude but the cover band band actually makes money so he goes apeshit to stave off boredom and obviously it got him a little notoriety
http://noisey.vice.com/blog/drummer-at-the-wrong-gig

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
Wonders will never cease, a guitar kickstarter that's not retarded as gently caress

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/738447513/experience-a-guitar-beyond-anything-youve-ever-kno

I think it's kinda cool, but it's still pretty much a novelty guitar
not cheap though...

busking and campfire singalongs may never be the same again

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
That is the kind of thing that is suited to a more budget friendly guitar. If you are going to beaches and campfires, most people don't want to bring around a guitar that costs almost $800.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

unlawfulsoup posted:

That is the kind of thing that is suited to a more budget friendly guitar. If you are going to beaches and campfires, most people don't want to bring around a guitar that costs almost $800.

Absolutely. Will be interesting to see if they find enough buyers/backers. Guitars with built-in amps are no new idea, but this is maybe the highest-spec example there's been?
Plenty of "TONE" cheese in that vid too

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Fair Hallion posted:

Absolutely. Will be interesting to see if they find enough buyers/backers. Guitars with built-in amps are no new idea, but this is maybe the highest-spec example there's been?
Plenty of "TONE" cheese in that vid too

I think there is a market for something like that at $300-400 range. Basically ignore the tonewood and analog bits, because I don't think most people in the portable market are going to be that focused on that. If you can make something that is similar in CV Squire quality with a lithium ion battery powered modeling amp, I think you would be set. I would be interested in something like that. I don't totally blame them, because there is less money in that range and I am guessing they are banking on more serious spenders who want to play electric guitar on the beach.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

most ridiculous piece of hardware on a completely vanilla looking instrument.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

dick wizard posted:

most ridiculous piece of hardware on a completely vanilla looking instrument.

I still think the Bigsby on SGs looks killer

plus it helps counteract the neck dive

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I basically hated all trems until I drunk bought a Gibson guitar that had a Lyre Vibrola on it. Bigsby's look dumb and are annoying to deal with. Locking trems are loving miserable to deal with. Fender trems never seem to stay in tune.

It looks goofy, and I fully intended to take the arm off and never use it, but you can abuse the poo poo out of it and it never goes out of tune. Like to the point that it blows my mind that it is still in tune after dicking with it for 5 minutes non stop. It doesn't go as far down/up as a floyd rose or even a strat style tremolo, but it's great for subtle or fairly intense vibrato. I really like doing a big bend and yanking on that thing. Sounds so gooood.

edit: pic of said guitar and the trem. Its goofy looking and I posted it here when I got it. It's my #1 now days.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 1, 2016

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Bigsby and goofy large trems look okay on hollowbodies like Gretsch and Gibsons. They are too large on things like the Tele.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Fair Hallion posted:

Wonders will never cease, a guitar kickstarter that's not retarded as gently caress

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/738447513/experience-a-guitar-beyond-anything-youve-ever-kno

I think it's kinda cool, but it's still pretty much a novelty guitar
not cheap though...

busking and campfire singalongs may never be the same again

I actually kind of like the way it looks :blush:

I dig the retro "cheap poo poo sold in a Sears catalog in the 60s" vibe it has, made all the better with the gigantic loving seam and plastic finish. Headstock is eh but there are very few good looking headstocks.

Still, for $800 hell no that's too expensive.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
One time here in Melbourne I saw a band called Salmon play and they had two drummers and six guitarists on stage. I wish I had taken a pic because it looked so loving stupid, but truth be told it actually owned really hard. I don't think there were any vocals except for one song where an old guy in tight leather pants yelled a lot.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

That's because Kim Salmon (probably said old guy in tight leather pants) actually owns really hard.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Nah it wasn't Kim, this dude was WAY older. Like 80 year old crusty grandpa territory.

Also yeah Kim Salmon owns and his name shouldn't be in this thread.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Scientists were THE BEST poo poo EVER. God Bless Kim Salmon. Everyone should own Blood Red River 1982-1984 and get their asses shakin'.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
So I'm pretty sure this is the exact opposite that this thread was made for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8RBrw5pGWg

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Seņor Pablo Gilberto is still awesome

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
That's great.

I feel Paul has slowly but steadily become a more interesting and more naunced and all-around more musical guy little by little every year. I love his sense of humor. I love his Rush Tribute (aptly named Hurry Up.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Sg0v4tZBw

I also love this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNlGgH64HKM

If you race FM6 I made this Extreme Volume Guy logo and shared it. GT: Captain Howdy 0. There's room for your car #. Listen to Motorman while racing:

I made this car for a buddy of mine who just got FM4 (Yes, his GT is the name of Paul Gilbert's DiMarzio pickup):

I want to remake all my guitar logos (Ibanez, Seymour Duncan, Peavey) for FM6 but :effort:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The dad in that video is driving a red Aston Martin DB5 convertible. I don't know what this means other than "my immersion!"

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

Shugojin posted:

I still think the Bigsby on SGs looks killer

plus it helps counteract the neck dive

walked right into my nerd trap you dolt

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
Today was half price rental day so I rented a 18 watt Hughes & Kettner tubemeister combo for 20 dollar, and might be one of those dumb tube amp goobers who believes in magic, or I might be one of those guys to swear to my dying day that my Line 6 Spider II sounds better. We will see after a month.

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

I bought this:

It REALLY likes to pick up on harmonics when you're using a synth to drive it instead of a guitar.

Also bought an effects unit:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aoi-chan posted:

I bought this:

It REALLY likes to pick up on harmonics when you're using a synth to drive it instead of a guitar.
Soundcloud demos. NOW.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
The review of that pedal by Rob Chapman and Lee Anderton was pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aveUEZkcQno

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

reallivedinosaur posted:

Today was half price rental day so I rented a 18 watt Hughes & Kettner tubemeister combo for 20 dollar, and might be one of those dumb tube amp goobers who believes in magic, or I might be one of those guys to swear to my dying day that my Line 6 Spider II sounds better. We will see after a month.

I'm guessing you have a L&M near you? Half-price rental day seriously deserves to be a holiday

I rented a double bass and a tenor sax for something like $60, then came across this crazy deal:

I don't even play brass

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

New New Fresh posted:

I'm guessing you have a L&M near you? Half-price rental day seriously deserves to be a holiday

I rented a double bass and a tenor sax for something like $60, then came across this crazy deal:

I don't even play brass

holy crap I'd take up the french horn if I saw that

L&M has some crazy deals on off-rental stuff, there was a nice wedge monitor for 100 bucks, normally 800 or so. I saw it online and debated for a few hours "do I really need a 100 watt wedge monitor? " then when I went to the store someone else already bought it.

I didn't really need that wedge monitor for anything, couldn't imagine ever plugging it in, but I wanted to put my foot up on it while I ripped rear end solos and 100 bucks for a bitchin metal solo footrest is reasonable.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

reallivedinosaur posted:

L&M has some crazy deals on off-rental stuff, there was a nice wedge monitor for 100 bucks, normally 800 or so. I saw it online and debated for a few hours "do I really need a 100 watt wedge monitor? " then when I went to the store someone else already bought it.

I didn't really need that wedge monitor for anything, couldn't imagine ever plugging it in, but I wanted to put my foot up on it while I ripped rear end solos and 100 bucks for a bitchin metal solo footrest is reasonable.

As a man who has done this (not the bitchin' solo per se but the "putting my foot up on it for better fret access" way, it feels great if you have grown up watching just that.

I'm a "guitarist who makes weird faces while playing" guy, and I know whom to blame for it (I learned it, I wasn't born that way) and once you learn something it's hard to un-learn it. I think this thread is proof-positive of that, my own BS included.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

New New Fresh posted:

I don't even play brass

Hah, that price makes me wonder if it's in something other than F. You'll come across single horns in B flat or E flat from time to time but there's just not much call for them.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

reallivedinosaur posted:

you need a fan to go with it so your hair can billow appropriately

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Soundcloud demos. NOW.

Been meaning to upload those myself. The lag makes it all but useless for sequences above 80 BPM or so, but it's fun if you want to simulate someone drunk trying to sing along with your music.

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

I can't tell what key it's in since I can't find the fundamental, but I'll get my trumpet playing friend to figure it out. I figured even if I never learn to play it, I could just clean it up and sell it to a student or something.

Edit: what model Gibson is this? I can't find it anywhere.

Dirt posted:

edit: pic of said guitar and the trem. Its goofy looking and I posted it here when I got it. It's my #1 now days.

New New Fresh fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 6, 2016

Dirt
May 26, 2003

New New Fresh posted:

Edit: what model Gibson is this? I can't find it anywhere.

It's a N-255. Basically a double cut version of the old Nighthawk guitars.

I don't think they make them anymore.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
I honestly think that's the sexiest Gibson shape of their entire line of solid body (or chambered solid bodies) they have, by leaps and bounds. I almost went out and bought a used one because it has everything I need except that, every review I read said it was a good idea but fell flat on it's face as a type of good all-around but not serious guitar.

Hearing your opinion, I might be harboring some regret now.

gently caress those pin-striped ones though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

P90 Neck/Humbucker bridge has been my go to setup for years now. Like just about every HH guitar I have ever owned I end swapping the neck out for a Humbucker sized P90, so that's probably why I was initially attracted to that guitar besides the wacky looks.

As far as an all around guitar, it will do pretty much anything you want IMO. It's basically a heavier P90/HB SG(but not neck heavy). It has the slimmer SG style neck, and good upper fret access like a SG. The whole thing is made of maple(body and neck) so it's on the heavier side. The pickups might not be for everyone, the Dirty Fingers bridge might be hotter than some people would like. It's considerably hotter than the neck, the P90 sounds exactly like it should though. The coil tap for the bridge is actually useful though, get's some tele type tones out of the tapped bridge pickup. Plus the trem owns.

I play it probably 80% more than my other guitars since I got. I dig it.

The pinstripe ones are hideous though. I wanted the natural clear finish one, but they didn't have any at American Musical Supply where I got this one on clearance. It was only red or pinstripe for the sale price, and ~400 dollars off retail forced me to drunk buy it ha

Dirt fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 6, 2016

• Locked thread