Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Cactrot posted:

We just got goblin chieftain, what more do you want?!

That was actually the first decent one in a while. Not played a lot but it's a $6 rare and people love goblins. Then it's followed up by such hits as.. crumbling vestige? Wizards has like a 20% hit rate in fnm promos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Gitaxian Probe
Might of Old Krosa
Dryad Arbor
Inquisition of Kozilek
Dismember

The list goes on and on. Of course I get that they like to promote standard so some standard cards need to be in there, but so far the choices have been awful.

They just reprinted Dismember but the others are a great start. Aven Mindcensor too.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Roast was a good one. But really, Crumbling Vestige?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

They just reprinted Dismember but the others are a great start. Aven Mindcensor too.

They reprinted it in a set sure, but its an easy slam dunk especially if it got some decent new art. You don't even have to go for every expensive uncommon/common. Imagine a new lightening bolt with some cool new art. Wild Nacatl?

I feel picking exciting commons/uncommons for these promos is like the easiest task ever and it surprises me how they can gently caress it up.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Why not some or the more expensive, difficult to obtain EDH uncommons in honor of EMA?

Isochron Scepter
Lightning Greaves
Skullclamp
Ghostly Prison

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Honestly, I'm not unhappy with Sylvan Scrying and Spatial Contortion. I mean yeah they're not exciting price-wise, but they're multi-format playable cards that are an affordable way to spice a deck a bit. As far as promos go, that's not bad.

I have no idea what wizards is thinking with poo poo like clash of wills and crumbling vestige though.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

clash saw a decent amount of standard playat least

vestige(and imo contortion) are pretty :laffo: though

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

People play Contortion. It is uncommon though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I remember getting a Blighted Fen at the last FNM I attended and I didn't even realize it was an FNM promo at first, it just felt like such a letdown.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Contortion is fine, it sees a smattering of play in standard and modern. I'm not sure how stuff like vestige or orator of ojutai gets approved.

Edit: actually, looking at the list of past fnm promos they've been about 75% commonly played standard cards, which isn't too bad. These recent ones just feel pretty bad and it isn't exactly hard to make sure everything is going to be exciting and playable.

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 31, 2016

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Balon posted:

Why not some or the more expensive, difficult to obtain EDH uncommons in honor of EMA?

Isochron Scepter
Lightning Greaves
Skullclamp
Ghostly Prison

FWIW Lightning Greaves is in the red white Commander 2015 deck.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Balon posted:

Isochron Scepter
Lightning Greaves
Skullclamp
Ghostly Prison

Scepter is in EMA. Dismember was both in MM2015 too. I thought Probe was in there too until I looked it up, I guess I just have 10 from old drafting.

If they are going to reprint uncommons for Modern, do Terminate, Inquisition, Chromatic Star, Finks, and Helix.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Iso scepter and dismember have already been fnm promos, unless :thejoke:.

Edit - finks as well.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 31, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Does anybody else think wotc should just make some five dollar bills the FNM promo?? I know it's sort of an EDH thing,

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

It really seems like they try to forecast what will be making waves in standard and just gently caress it up constantly.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

sylvan scrying promo is good, I'll finally be able to split my Tron playset of it into four different versions to complement my hideously mismatched tron lands.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

ZeroCount posted:

sylvan scrying promo is good, I'll finally be able to split my Tron playset of it into four different versions to complement my hideously mismatched tron lands.

I thought the try hard rule was that your cards all needed to match, so that your opponent couldn't figure out what was in your hand after they get to take a peak with Inquisition/Thoughtseize?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

anglachel posted:

I thought the try hard rule was that your cards all needed to match, so that your opponent couldn't figure out what was in your hand after they get to take a peak with Inquisition/Thoughtseize?

We can only hope that forums poster zerocount will turn aside from this madness before they dishonor their family

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

anglachel posted:

Oh contrare, you want to have completely different versions and count on your opponent misremembering what he/she saw.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

anglachel posted:

That's the try hard rule; the try harder rule is to use as many mismatched arts as possible alongside white borders, lands in front of creatures, YuGiOh sleeves, and a My Little Pony playmat to make your opponent as on-tilt as possible without doing anything actually against the rules.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Urza's tower has four different seasons for a reason.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Jabor posted:

Urza's tower has four different seasons for a reason.

I change the arts in my deck based on what season it really is :smuggo:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I only play FBB Japanese Chronicles Tron lands for maximum tilt purposes. I also play all 3 existent Karakases in Death and Taxes!

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

anglachel posted:

spoken like someone who doesnt show up to draft with their own supply of 8th edition basic lands

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

I only play FBB Japanese Chronicles Tron lands for maximum tilt purposes. I also play all 3 existent Karakases in Death and Taxes!

If you would like to own the fourth just let me know. 3s are for plebs after all

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Don't forget to play your cards facing your opponent, and study the battlefield for 5 seconds each time your opponent plays any spell, no matter if you have an empty hand before saying "it resolves."

Also, play your deck in the ultra pro magic card back sleeves upside down, so that it looks to your opponent like your hand is oriented wrong.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

If you would like to own the fourth just let me know. 3s are for plebs after all

Eternal Masters is going to ruin everything by printing 2 more versions.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Soul Glo posted:

FWIW Lightning Greaves is in the red white Commander 2015 deck.

The R/W is the worst one as somehow they put together a ramp-into-fatties deck without including ramp or draw, so you have a normal RW deck except your guys cost 5-8 instead of 1-4.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

suicidesteve posted:

Legends, judge, and?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Pontius Pilate posted:

Legends, judge, and?

Italian Legends.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

suicidesteve posted:

Eternal Masters is going to ruin everything by printing 2 more versions.

Those aren't real cards anyways

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The R/W is the worst one as somehow they put together a ramp-into-fatties deck without including ramp or draw, so you have a normal RW deck except your guys cost 5-8 instead of 1-4.

It's Giant Tribal

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Who's going to GP Columbus?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

A Fancy Bloke posted:

It's Giant Tribal

Yeah I bought it and played with it when those first released.

It's terrible.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

A Fancy Bloke posted:

It's Giant Tribal

It's a far less exciting outcome than the other experience counter commanders since it makes RW combat keyword pile #181 larger, which is redundant when casting fatties should already dominate the board.

It's just so lame when you have Meren a few boxes over whispering of untold secrets and reusing the same spore frog forever, or Ezuri getting a whole gang of value guys together and one of them hulks out.

And Anya somehow is even duller. Mazirek Kaseto, Karlov, and Arjun are all unique in some way. Anya is #182.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Spatial Contortion promo should have been Warping Wail and the set key for Eldritch Moon is EMN not EDM

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
"Can't possibly lose now"
https://www.twitch.tv/lsv/v/69592755?t=35m35s

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

little munchkin posted:

Imagine using the phrase "initial investment of 300$" for a computer game lol

I know what you mean, but is "initial investment of $300+ for a paper card game" any less insane? And for me, even with the interface oddities and bugs, Mtgo is preferable to playing in person unless its with my friends. I hate card stores.

It is gross that Wotc charges, and people will pay, paper prices for pixel cards that can be spun up infinitely at no cost.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

They could run a different freemium model and still make bank. Some here have mentioned a subscription with access to certain things (X drafts a week, infinite access to the card pool).
The problem with that it is makes everyone's cards literally worthless. I dont mind (I have a modest MTGO collection) but I'd hate to do that to someone.

little munchkin posted:

Imagine using the phrase "initial investment of 300$" for a computer game lol
Yea it seems nuts but, to be fair SOME of can be recouped by cashing out. The digital objects have value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Snacksmaniac posted:

They could run a different freemium model and still make bank. Some here have mentioned a subscription with access to certain things (X drafts a week, infinite access to the card pool).
The problem with that it is makes everyone's cards literally worthless. I dont mind (I have a modest MTGO collection) but I'd hate to do that to someone.

Yea it seems nuts but, to be fair SOME of can be recouped by cashing out. The digital objects have value.

You should be able to subscribe to "Standard" for 20 or 30 bucks a month and have access to the card pool.

• Locked thread