Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
In the book I'm currently reading the author revealed that her daughter's name is Tarpley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Not all newly made up alternate spellings of names are inherently horrible, are they?

If you're using an alternate spelling to assist in pronunciation of an often mispronounced name, then no, I don't think so. But if your alternate spelling is going to make your kid's life more difficult, then yes.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Istari posted:

If you're using an alternate spelling to assist in pronunciation of an often mispronounced name, then no, I don't think so. But if your alternate spelling is going to make your kid's life more difficult, then yes.

I've encountered multiple Korean dudes named Seung working in customer service roles. All had name tags that said "Sung" to keep people from calling them See-ung. It's amazing how bad people can be with pronunciation.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Istari posted:

Being fair, this happens with names that are all in common use as well, like mine. I've had people spell my name Brandon, Brayden, Braedin, Bradin, Braydon, etc. When my name (Brendan), is fairly common. People will gently caress up your name, no matter how simple it seems like it should be able to be spelled out.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I know I post a lot of dumb football player names because that's my job, but I talked to a mom today who would only refer to her 8 year old son as "The Greatest of All Time". Like even when I'm trying to get his legal name for medical waivers and poo poo that's all she would give me.

Pretty :krad: honestly.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

fullroundaction posted:

I know I post a lot of dumb football player names because that's my job, but I talked to a mom today who would only refer to her 8 year old son as "The Greatest of All Time". Like even when I'm trying to get his legal name for medical waivers and poo poo that's all she would give me.

Pretty :krad: honestly.

I love these types of names but you basically doom your kid to be anything but when you name it something like that. Though the acronym for this kid would be pretty good as a nickname IMO

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

sweeperbravo posted:

I love these types of names but you basically doom your kid to be anything but when you name it something like that. Though the acronym for this kid would be pretty good as a nickname IMO

T'goat is so spectacularly Northern. I really hope The Greatest of All Time is from Yorkshire.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Someone named Jadon Beeson claimed to see the Millennium Falcon on the ISS feed last month.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Purple Poon

潘 柴

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faOjg-CRwaA

A list of unusal NFL player's names. Some awesome ones:

D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Crocket Gilmore
Ricky Tjong-a-tjoe
Vontaze Burfict
Ziggy Hood
Fozzy Whittaker
"Haha" Clinton Dicks
Captain Munnerlyn
Barkevious Mingo. From Wikipedia: "Mingo is the son of Hugh Mingo and Barbara Johnson. He has two older brothers, Hugh and Hughtavious and two younger brothers, Malik and ladarain. His unusual first name was created by his mother, adding the first three letters of her first name to a name she liked, Kevious."

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 09:21 on May 27, 2016

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Barkevious Mingo. From Wikipedia: ("Mingo is the son of Hugh Mingo and Barbara Johnson. He has two older brothers, Hugh and Hughtavious and two younger brothers, Malik and ladarain. His unusual first name was created by his mother, adding the first three letters of her first name to a name she liked, Kevious."

Barkevious is a kick rear end name, but Kevious? What the gently caress. That is not a name. Even reading Kevious gives me flashbacks to the crazy rear end nonsense I used to see in pediatrics. Fortunately I've mentally walled off whatever name that it's giving me a flashback to. All I can remember is the god drat OB-gyn pediatric room and glaring at God lovely parents in disdain because they had brought their infant in for a non-complaint and named him some dumb bullshit.

Content: have I mentioned this one? Dude came in by EMS with his name tattooed across his chest. His name? Lil'Greg. Super cool dude with an unfortunate name. His explanation was that his Father's name was Greg. His crazy mother named all of her sons after their fathers. His brothers were Lil'Damien and Lil'Tyrell. His mother named her daughters after her. Her name was Lashonda. All I remember is one sister named La'rhonda. Can't remember the others.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

To be fair that's a good way to remember.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

berenzen posted:

Being fair, this happens with names that are all in common use as well, like mine. I've had people spell my name Brandon, Brayden, Braedin, Bradin, Braydon, etc. When my name (Brendan), is fairly common. People will gently caress up your name, no matter how simple it seems like it should be able to be spelled out.

My daughter's name is Anna, which people would have had absolutely no trouble pronouncing correctly if Disney hadn't made a movie featuring the name pronounced the other way while I was pregnant with her. Now everyone sees it written and assumes it's Ah-na and that she's named after the princess. No, it's just ordinary Anna and she's named after one of the most important people in my life, I hate you all.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

TheKennedys posted:

My daughter's name is Anna, which people would have had absolutely no trouble pronouncing correctly if Disney hadn't made a movie featuring the name pronounced the other way while I was pregnant with her. Now everyone sees it written and assumes it's Ah-na and that she's named after the princess. No, it's just ordinary Anna and she's named after one of the most important people in my life, I hate you all.

Let's just say, I know your pain exactly.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

TheKennedys posted:

So what kind of weird-rear end special snowflake pronunciation do you think is ordinary

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

presumably with the first vowel as in 'can'?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Waci posted:

So what kind of weird-rear end special snowflake pronunciation do you think is ordinary

Where the hell do you live that you need to ask this?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Where the hell do you live that you need to ask this?

GBS :mmmhmm:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What movie is it anyway?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She means Frozen.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Waci posted:

She should grow up to be really annoyed by bananas.

:smith:

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
From an article about swim lessons for toddlers: "Tarin McAdoo Comer, 42, of Hamilton, signed her 3-year-old daughter Jacksanna.."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

She means Frozen.

Haven't seen it :shrug:

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Do you say Anna or Änäh?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Analy.

I'll see if I can find the picture I took, it was a long time ago. A car, clearly the car of a person who has just graduated high school, and part of the decoration read "You did it! Analy"

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

You folks remember that child from a few years ago that had an obscene amount of 'y's in her name?

She now has a little brother.

quote:

Big sisters Khayleigh-Huntyr Madisyn and Kharringtyn-McKhynleigh Khaybryn are proud to announce the birth of their little brother, Kheestyn-McKhormyck Dallas

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Kevin DuBrow posted:

"Haha" Clinton Dicks

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
One of the servers at work today waited on a woman whose name was, no poo poo, Seima Krak.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

You folks remember that child from a few years ago that had an obscene amount of 'y's in her name?

5'll get you 10 that their parents smell like patchouli and have a perpetual "I'd like to speak to your manager" look.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Waci posted:

Do you say Anna or Änäh?

"M'lady"

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Should have been McKhorben Dallas.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

hyperhazard posted:

Should have been McKhorben Dallas.

And the next sister can be called Mh'uuulteeeei Paaahhhsss.

Content: I met a Selma at work today. She was not 80; she was in her 20's.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

One thing I think is funny about the "too many Ys" family is that "kh" is its own distinctive sound that isn't just the same as saying "k" or the "ch" you find in Christopher or Christina. I'm almost 100% certain that the parents aren't intending for that to be the pronunciation and doubt they even know it exists.

That's one problem with the unusual spellings of normal names. People overestimate their own ability to use spelling rules that make sense and then seem truly surprised when the rest of the world doesn't magically grasp their intent and pronounces their kid's name like they're trying to clear their throat.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

sweeperbravo posted:

One thing I think is funny about the "too many Ys" family is that "kh" is its own distinctive sound that isn't just the same as saying "k" or the "ch" you find in Christopher or Christina.

I don't think you "get" language.

(Anyway, in RP and probably most other varieties of English, kh, ch [when it's a voiceless velar stop as in Christopher or Christina], and k are abso loving lutely the same phoneme.)

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Haha of course they're from Salina. The middle of Kansas breeds the strangest and weirdest folk.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

(Anyway, in RP and probably most other varieties of English, kh, ch [when it's a voiceless velar stop as in Christopher or Christina], and k are abso loving lutely the same phoneme.)

What about people who have a different native language than English? And I don't think it's too weird to see a name that looks like it uses non-English spelling and pronounce it according to that. Imo. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

shelley posted:

What about people who have a different native language than English? And I don't think it's too weird to see a name that looks like it uses non-English spelling and pronounce it according to that. Imo. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think he was responding to the pat statement that the two are pronounced differently. Being a non native speaker would make that statement less sensible, not more.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

What English words contain "kh" in a sense that isn't two syllables coming together like "backhand" or "sinkhole?" Genuinely curious :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

Well, let's see. There's Khelli.... and Khamryn... and Khanneigh...