Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Speaking as someone whose cool fun start-up employer is in the process of getting acquired by a giant boring company, this thread doesn't exactly fill me with optimism but I'm glad I've been reading it for a while.

It's cool, though. I knew the catered massages wouldn't last forever, and, fingers crossed this whole deal should let me pay off the last of our student debt and move someplace beautiful. gently caress, though... I guess I have to get another real job, eventually. Unless our chill, fun culture survives assimilation, because that happens sometimes, right? Right????

At some point the company will trade all the perks for more MBAs who will then parasitize everything they can for performance bonuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Speaking as someone whose cool fun start-up employer is in the process of getting acquired by a giant boring company, this thread doesn't exactly fill me with optimism but I'm glad I've been reading it for a while.

It's cool, though. I knew the catered massages wouldn't last forever, and, fingers crossed this whole deal should let me pay off the last of our student debt and move someplace beautiful. gently caress, though... I guess I have to get another real job, eventually. Unless our chill, fun culture survives assimilation, because that happens sometimes, right? Right????

Random question: cool fun Virginia startup that's really into ping pong?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

uninterrupted posted:

Could be. Are you one of my comrades in arms?

I'm actually more optimistic than my previous post might imply; this will be an instructive experience, and the next year should be interesting, assuming i still have a job in a month.

Edit: integrating or trying to integrate some of the things I've worked on into an ecosystem four times larger, also seems interesting.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

uninterrupted posted:

Haha I was thinking the same thing - don't work there but have a friend who does.

Braintree here in Chicago seems to have done well enough under Paypal but Oracle..ouch.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
If I ever create a startup, it's not going to have any of these silly, wasteful amenities that are meant to have you overstay at the office. Work 9-5ish, more if there's crunch time, spend time with your family and friends. Maybe a console in the break room for when you want to clear your head.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Could be. Are you one of my comrades in arms?

I'm actually more optimistic than my previous post might imply; this will be an instructive experience, and the next year should be interesting, assuming i still have a job in a month.

Edit: integrating or trying to integrate some of the things I've worked on into an ecosystem four times larger, also seems interesting.

I am.

Although I'm just kinda pumped because I've never been in a big company. Also cubicles are way better than open offices; it feels like everyone's looking over my back. Fingers crossed we don't end up having to commute to Reston.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

uninterrupted posted:

I am.

Although I'm just kinda pumped because I've never been in a big company. Also cubicles are way better than open offices; it feels like everyone's looking over my back. Fingers crossed we don't end up having to commute to Reston.

Ha. Small world! I'm the person in web who draws cats and tells bad puns and orders food for our floor. You should swing by our pod and ask me if I have stairs in my house or something; that hasn't happened since my first job out of college.

I tried to move this to pm but I guess you don't have plat? I've worked for larger orgs, but never on the scale of where we're headed. It should be a hell of a ride. Good to know there's another SA person around.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If I ever create a startup, it's not going to have any of these silly, wasteful amenities that are meant to have you overstay at the office. Work 9-5ish, more if there's crunch time, spend time with your family and friends. Maybe a console in the break room for when you want to clear your head.

It's all what you make of it. I've had those sweet amenities for four years, and generally kept to 40 hours, as have the majority of my direct co-workers. I do think that having all that nice stuff has been a differentiator that has helped attract and retain interesting, talented people.

So, if you get lucky, you can have all these things. This is my fifth job out of college and the only one with weekly catered lunches and massages. It's certainly not the only place that I've had awesome co-workers with a sense of purpose, but previous places I'd say that about, are all NPOs.

I care a lot more about working with great people on interesting problems than I do about shoulder rubs, but the latter certainly hasn't hurt my morale...

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

I know of a company that has all of the above but also mandatory 8-6 in office working hours, just saying.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Gail Wynand posted:

I know of a company that has all of the above but also mandatory 8-6 in office working hours, just saying.

Can you take a nap from 1-3 everyday though? Cause I def would.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Asimov posted:

Very cool video. Although I don't know much about eagles or drones, I get the feeling that a larger craft would chew up any bird that tried to grab it. Maybe there is a technique that allows grasping of the drone body while avoiding all the rotors, but unless the eagle is throwing a net or using a fancier trick than I just watched, I think the blades of a medium sized drone would do serious damage to a living creature.

When I built my first drone, something hosed up in the autopilot and it started up when I was about to switch its battery. Needed like ~11 stitches across 2 fingers, and that was just from a glancing hit from a single prop. Actually, I guess it could have been better if it hit my hand directly, since it would have stopped the blade completely (not that much momentum with standard nylon blades), but still--those things can easily injure a person, so I'm not sure how they won't gently caress up a bird.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah there's a weird obsession with being at the desk over tasks. I have a friend who works at the US subsidiary of a rather big Japanese corporation and their culture is a bit wonky. He came from a company that was more flexible about what 40 meant, like staying late to get something out the door Thursday meant it was okay to leave a bit early Friday if your plate was empty. Since he's in the US the expectation is more 40 hours than 80 at least, but yeah they're all about 'This is the start time, this is the end time, be here 5 days a week in that window. We don't care what you're doing as long as you're here. The company at least seems decently loyal, though they practically disappear folks when they do fire them.
The worst workers are almost universally the liaisons in depts from the Japanese/home company. Like to the point that they thought something in the instructions about expected duties was being lost in translation until they had a few that spoke perfect English.

Japanese companies are super into face time, which is why they want you ask your desk.

For instance the NA President of Honda doesn't have an office, he has a desk as far as you can get to the door but everyone working in his giant open office space which is full of managers and assistants can see what he's doing. It creates a weird corporate culture.

Also the liaisons are always poo poo but if you are a webioo that wants a job that pays really will but you will never get promoted from it's a good job to get.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

So I know this thread is about bad startups, but I work for a good one. Are there resources for recent ML phds (which is me) or similar academic folks who are trying to not be huge idiots about salaries and stock options and things? I'm four months into this job, and outside my specialty, I know precisely jack poo poo about business and finance.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 31, 2016

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tim Raines IRL posted:

lol, nope. Maaaaybe if you got bought by Google or Facebook your culture would survive. Otherwise, it's basically a 2-year countdown until everything goes to poo poo. A lot of the visionaries and top talent will probably hit the door the day the lockup ends, and the rest of the A-talent will be out the door as soon as the retention bonuses dry up. In the meantime, the poo poo talent will move up because they have "institutional knowledge" and the acquiring company won't yet know what to do with you. Also the assholes and people with a natural disposition to office politics will have a field day interfacing with the corporate mothership. The changes will start slowly -- shifting over to old, lovely internal systems, inscrutable policy messages from corp. HR -- then accelerate rapidly. Milk this time for everything you can. Treat it like a 6-24 month severance package.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

a foolish pianist posted:

So I know this thread is about bad startups, but I work for a good one. Are there resources for recent ML phds (which is me) or similar academic folks who are trying to not be huge idiots about salaries and stock options and things? I'm four months into this job, and outside my specialty, I know precisely jack poo poo about business and finance.

SAL (the DND subforum) would be a good place to start. I know there's a poster, Sol Terasa, who's involved with ML stuff though I think he's on the academic side.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Value your equity at zero, it's basically a lottery ticket especially with the prevalence of dirty term sheets. Even (almost especially) at unicorns.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

A Man With A Plan posted:

Can you take a nap from 1-3 everyday though? Cause I def would.
Whoa dude, why aren't you at your desk crushing it bro?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Post in https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3246449 please. IIRC poster 'the talent deficit' is looking for ML people to work for a place in Vancouver which is a beautiful place to live, btw

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I've already decided that My Headcanon Startup would be a 32-hour week = full-time place with three weeks mandatory vacation standard, but lol at the idea of me making that kind of leap :(

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

cowofwar posted:

At some point the company will trade all the perks for more MBAs who will then parasitize everything they can for performance bonuses.

what's weird about my degree is that i'm about to graduate with a focus in ethics and all my classes have hammered home empathy nonstop

the only ideas i have about loving over people for my own short-term gain have come from this thread and the corporate thread in bfc

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You should manage it so there is no crunch time. Crunch time is a sign of bad management and why would you want that??

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Charlie Mopps posted:

You should manage it so there is no crunch time. Crunch time is a sign of bad management and why would you want that??

eliyahu goldratt spins webs through my mind

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Aliquid posted:

what's weird about my degree is that i'm about to graduate with a focus in ethics and all my classes have hammered home empathy nonstop

the only ideas i have about loving over people for my own short-term gain have come from this thread and the corporate thread in bfc

I demand my cut :homebrew:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

when i'm all grown up ... :laugh:

every firm begins like that. obviously. tech startups run into the retarded work culture problem because founders typically have to endure one-two years of psychological hell to get it in the air. it really fucks up their anchor point for what constitutes a reasonable amount of work and personal investment in a job, ever so slightly, one day at a time. it'd happen to you too.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Aliquid posted:

so you have no real life business experience? because this is :shobon: as gently caress

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Real Foogla posted:

so you have no real life business experience? because this is :shobon: as gently caress

nope! i was principal of an elementary school so it is literal :shobon:

i managed a holiday inn in college but lol

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Charlie Mopps posted:

Because performance bonuses to executives and management for delivering early are a thing, and if your workforce is disposable you can drive it like you stole it to make your money then buy a new one for the next title.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Aliquid posted:

https://moz.com/about/tagfee

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Charlie Mopps posted:

Crunch time is a failure of project management, but failures happen. Especially in a startup when you're dealing with the unfamiliar. I'd pay overtime for it, though.

Also, European levels of annual paid vacation. :vrfrog:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If you're on the old-fashioned cycle where there are actually discrete releases, I think crunch time with comp time afterward is fine. It's like finals week -- work like mad, then vacation. It's crunch time that lasts for months (or is permanent) that's obscene.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The issue is that you always have that one manager or executive that starts thinking "wait, hey we can have people work 90 hour weeks from time to time? Why don't we do that all the time?"

It also doesn't help that there just never seems to be enough developers around, ever. Competent programmers are never, ever, ever cheap and software development isn't a fast process at all so of course you also have execs saying "hey how do we get more out of these super expensive guys we're paying?"

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you're on the old-fashioned cycle where there are actually discrete releases, I think crunch time with comp time afterward is fine. It's like finals week -- work like mad, then vacation. It's crunch time that lasts for months (or is permanent) that's obscene.

Yeah, I was rolling my eyes at the talk of 'crunch time is a sign of poor management' but realized I was thinking more of 'There's a spike in sales at end of year,' or 'almost every regulator wants reports filed March - May.'

I wasn't thinking of the unsustainable unicorn and tech sector world, or other project based 'we can grind these employees into the dirt since they're probably not gonna be here in 5 years and I sure as hell won't be!' environments.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Kobayashi posted:

lol, nope. Maaaaybe if you got bought by Google or Facebook your culture would survive. Otherwise, it's basically a 2-year countdown until everything goes to poo poo. A lot of the visionaries and top talent will probably hit the door the day the lockup ends, and the rest of the A-talent will be out the door as soon as the retention bonuses dry up. In the meantime, the poo poo talent will move up because they have "institutional knowledge" and the acquiring company won't yet know what to do with you. Also the assholes and people with a natural disposition to office politics will have a field day interfacing with the corporate mothership. The changes will start slowly -- shifting over to old, lovely internal systems, inscrutable policy messages from corp. HR -- then accelerate rapidly. Milk this time for everything you can. Treat it like a 6-24 month severance package.
Yup, I was being facetious. It's cool, even if I got termed at the end of the summer, this place has been a great deal for me and a hell of a ride.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Also, European levels of annual paid vacation. :vrfrog:

More than anything else, this is why I'd never move back to North America.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Munkeymon posted:

Post in https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3246449 please. IIRC poster 'the talent deficit' is looking for ML people to work for a place in Vancouver which is a beautiful place to live, btw

Do not move to Vancouver unless you want to enjoy the worlds most rear end-rapey overpriced housing market.

This is a real listing from Vancouver right now

http://www.point2homes.com/CA/Home-For-Sale/BC/Vancouver/Sunset/495-E-61ST-AVENUE/26130115.html

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Problem is that if you have crunch time to get a release out on schedule, then it isn't vacation time after the release but instead it is crunch time again to fix all of the terrible crap that gone done wrong in a hurry at the last minute to meet the schedule. Fixing all of the stuff leaves you behind schedule for the next release and therefore your have to start release crunch time even earlier than before.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

sbaldrick posted:

Do not move to Vancouver unless you want to enjoy the worlds most rear end-rapey overpriced housing market.

http://www.point2homes.com/CA/Home-For-Sale/BC/Vancouver/Sunset/495-E-61ST-AVENUE/26130115.html

Housing pricing is just hosed in general in North America as a whole. That doesn't really surprise me. Which makes me very sad.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

sbaldrick posted:

Considering the Canadian Funbucks exchange rate, that's about half as bad as London. At most.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

sbaldrick posted:

So how far do people have to drive to even get affordable rent?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

blowfish posted:

Considering the Canadian Funbucks exchange rate, that's about half as bad as London. At most.

At last count its more expensive then London as per the economist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I hear a lot of land was just opened up around Ft. McMurray