Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Now I'm curious on how bad it could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipple
Oct 22, 2008
Look pal luffy has his nakama, goku has his kamehameha, Naruto has his rasengan, Ichigo has his zanpakuto, and Zuo mo has his ling jingshi jindan yao mo xuizhe

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I just ordered the 5th volume of Kono Koi to, Sono Mirai the other day, and yesterday the author tweeted that the series has been cancelled, so the final 6th volume won't be published. Apparently he's giving up on light novels now. Woo. :(

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

dipple posted:

Look pal luffy has his nakama, goku has his kamehameha, Naruto has his rasengan, Ichigo has his zanpakuto, and Zuo mo has his ling jingshi jindan yao mo xuizhe

Oh god that's just plain terrible. What is that? Golden Spiritual Lion Steel Bullet Medicine? I think for translations of proper nouns, it comes down to rule of cool. Does it sound really stupid when you read it out loud in the language you're translating it into? Does it sound more stupid if you keep it in the original language? Choose the lesser evil, because either way it wouldn't translate well, but Turtle Fist sounds hella more stupid than Kamehameha. Just be prepared for a native language speaker to cringe at the chuuni name.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ISSTH: The answer, as anyone could figure out, was Xianxia Bob Ross.

Obviously.

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003
It's a bunch of terms squashed together.

Ling-adjective, meaning magical/spiritual. I think the literal meaning is "treasure".
Jingshi-sprit stones(currency).
Jindan-core formation cultivator.
Yao-demon.
Mo-devil.
Xiuzhe-cultivator.

I'm okay with ling, it's an aspect of the setting that there's magical everything, and it gets used like 6 times a chapter.

Honestly a cloud-to-butt style browser plugin could do a pretty good job fixing the translation issues.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

dipple posted:

That's.... an actual thing?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That is also the solution the translator suggested. WoC is not good enough to warrant going through that much trouble.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Some of these adjectives are what I'd expect from a poorly thought-out menu.

Triple Decker Five-Cheese Heaven Defying Cheeseburger

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
*spits out three and a half mouth fulls of blood*

drat I want that burger.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
It'd certainly be a helluva last dinner. Spitting blood up is a sign of mortal wounds, you know, what with the churned up organs and all that.

I'd love to see someone translate all of the medicines as some crazy fast-food kind of thing, like Divine Ultimate Supreme Pizza of Golden Buckwheat or Heaven Shattering Crystal Doughnut.

But then it'd turn into a cooking story in a fantasy setting, not a xianxia story. Which would still be better in every sense.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i tried reading magic chef of fire and ice but then the protagonist murdered someone over a petty slight. it hasn't even hit 20 chapters yet and the supposed chef is already a huge rear end in a top hat.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
That isn't a cooking story in fantasy setting (like Cook of the Mercenary Band). That's a xianxia story masquerading as a cooking story.

GlassElephant
Oct 25, 2009

Schwere Panzerabteilung 502
Discovered they were Glass Elephants, 27 APR 45
Someone on reddit did make a extension to make it more readable but it looks like it hasn't been updated in a while.

https://www.reddit.com/r/noveltranslations/comments/402u23/i_made_a_google_chrome_extension_that_replaces/

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

jwang posted:

That isn't a cooking story in fantasy setting (like Cook of the Mercenary Band). That's a xianxia story masquerading as a cooking story.

Yeah, I was just surprised at how quickly it dropped the pretense.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

jon joe posted:

Some of these adjectives are what I'd expect from a poorly thought-out menu.

Triple Decker Five-Cheese Heaven Defying Cheeseburger

lol

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

Yeah, I was just surprised at how quickly it dropped the pretense.

It's like LMC: the MC's supposed to be a sculptor, but he's really a dickwad swordsperson murderhobo that sculpts to get power.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

jwang posted:

It's like LMC: the MC's supposed to be a sculptor, but he's really a dickwad swordsperson murderhobo that sculpts to get power.

He lives in a house. Online game dickwads are different from wuxia super power dickwads.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
I'm sorry. He's not a murderhobo, he's a murderhomeowner. But only online.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

jwang posted:

I'm sorry. He's not a murderhobo, he's a murderhomeowner. But only online.

Killing someone in a MMORPG isn't the same as annihilating their souls in real life.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Weed is a jerk, not a psychopath.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Yeah, there's a difference between PKing some dude for calling you a fag and roasting someone's soul in eternal hellfire while eating their family because they refused you for 1/1000000th of a second.

There IS a similarity there though. Ultima Online was the first Xianxia, discuss.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Yinlock posted:

There IS a similarity there though. Ultima Online was the first Xianxia, discuss.
Hmm, muscle wizards everywhere murdering people for gold and shiny equipment. Along with macroing sessions (cultivation). I can see it.

Although I was a thief with crossbows murdering everyone so I'm not sure where I fit in.

FriggenJ fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 30, 2016

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Neurophage posted:

Killing someone in a MMORPG isn't the same as annihilating their souls in real life.

This is debatable with how salty some people get over their computer pixels.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Something that I completely missed in my first readthrough (and subsequent translation) of Kumoko, which had to be pointed out to me by one of my readers: the reason why everything in the dungeon wants to kill her is because Appraisal makes the target aware that they're being appraised, and it feels very hostile, so the fact that she's Appraising literally everything she sees means she's provoking every monster she comes across. :doh:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

blastron posted:

Something that I completely missed in my first readthrough (and subsequent translation) of Kumoko, which had to be pointed out to me by one of my readers: the reason why everything in the dungeon wants to kill her is because Appraisal makes the target aware that they're being appraised, and it feels very hostile, so the fact that she's Appraising literally everything she sees means she's provoking every monster she comes across. :doh:

Yup

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Usually the action sequences in ISSTH aren't my favorite but I'm looking forward to this one. The Black Sieve Sect has had it coming for a while now and I want to see the absurd new power ups Meng Hao has (domains/areas/skills he couldn't use prior to spirit severing/etc).

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

In Desolate Era news, I'd much rather be reading the story of Bluecliff Xiaoyu rather than Ji Ning. At least for right now! Alas, she is destined to simply be a required token for getting a new ability, nothing more.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It took a long while, but Sevens has finally gotten into gear. If you dropped it earlier, I'd recommend picking it up again.

Also it's actually proofread, so that's a thing.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Tsubasa2004 posted:

Jingshi-sprit stones(currency).

I skimmed the first few chapters of World of Cultivation, skipping over the TL notes, so for the longest time I thought Jingshi was just a currency, whereas if it was translated, I'd have picked up on it as soon as the term popped up. Spirit stones are sort of common in Xianxia stories. Right up there with arrogant young masters in terms of prevalence.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Lyon posted:

Usually the action sequences in ISSTH aren't my favorite but I'm looking forward to this one. The Black Sieve Sect has had it coming for a while now and I want to see the absurd new power ups Meng Hao has (domains/areas/skills he couldn't use prior to spirit severing/etc).

quote:

Bones shattered, and then Meng Hao loosened his grip, sending the old man’s body tumbling down to the ground.

Meng Hao didn’t even think about the man’s bag of holding.

Oh shiiiiiiiit! You know Meng Hao is serious when he is ignoring loot. I think this is the first time ever Meng Hao didn’t try to swindle someone during a fight.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
So what's the difference between Meng Hao's Eternal cultivation base as compared to his Perfect cultivation base, besides just 'it is better'? Am I right in understanding that to reach Dao Fruit, you have to have a Perfect base and then sever it, and to go from Dao Fruit to Eternal requires for you to have died (except through whatever means don't actually die)?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Cultivation bases are basically how strong you are in your current tier. It is why Meng Hao could chump anyone at the same level he was for most of his life. Though, ever since they introduced the incredible power of being real beefy (bitch), the cultivation base thing has been much less important.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

"It's just better", and there's the automatic regeneration. The mechanics behind it isn't really ever plot relevant.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
His Perfect foundation just meant that he didn't leak energy, but due to the Heavens of Ji's ban on perfection, he couldn't absorb energy normally and had to cram himself full of medicinal pills or cultivate in alternate dimensions. Normal cultivators soak up energy from their surroundings, but they also leak it out through the cracks in their foundations, which I assume is some kind of immortal pyramid scheme to funnel power to the Heavens of Ji and prevent anyone from rivaling the Ji Clan's power.

Fun bit of trivia that some people may have forgotten, the formula for the Perfect Foundation and Perfect Core were inscribed on a piece of turtle shell that Meng Hao "acquired" from Shangguan Xiu. Shangguan Xiu could also use Demonic Qi, and would likely have become the 9th Generation Demon Sealer if it weren't for Meng Hao.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

The Lord of Hats posted:

So what's the difference between Meng Hao's Eternal cultivation base as compared to his Perfect cultivation base, besides just 'it is better'? Am I right in understanding that to reach Dao Fruit, you have to have a Perfect base and then sever it, and to go from Dao Fruit to Eternal requires for you to have died (except through whatever means don't actually die)?

A philosophical one, mainly. Perfection means you can't keep improving, because once you're perfect any change moves you away from perfection. Eternal, in this instance, is symbolic of a never-ending will to improve.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Avulsion posted:

His Perfect foundation just meant that he didn't leak energy, but due to the Heavens of Ji's ban on perfection, he couldn't absorb energy normally and had to cram himself full of medicinal pills or cultivate in alternate dimensions. Normal cultivators soak up energy from their surroundings, but they also leak it out through the cracks in their foundations, which I assume is some kind of immortal pyramid scheme to funnel power to the Heavens of Ji and prevent anyone from rivaling the Ji Clan's power.

Fun bit of trivia that some people may have forgotten, the formula for the Perfect Foundation and Perfect Core were inscribed on a piece of turtle shell that Meng Hao "acquired" from Shangguan Xiu. Shangguan Xiu could also use Demonic Qi, and would likely have become the 9th Generation Demon Sealer if it weren't for Meng Hao.

I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for Meng Hao and his pesky parrot-mirror, too!

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

Somebody in the comments on that chapter explained it pretty well.

quote:

Fseeker

May 30, 2016 at 11:14 am
Thanks for the chapter.

This is a though one to digests, and this is my take on the situation:
Cultivation (immortal) is pretty much the same as cultivation (farming).
You start by planting a seed (start gathering qi) and let it grow until it form a basic plant (foundation). Then as the plant grows and strengthens (core formation) into a tree you have to further nurture it (nascent soul) and yet you also have to trim it (spirit sever) so it reaches its apex.
At this point the tree is ready to bear a fruit, and this fruit would contain all the experience of this journey.

However Meng Hao’s case is special.
All his journey of perfection is also, in a way, imperfect. This imperfection comes just from the fact that he thinks perfection is the end point, which makes him unable to see the fruit that his tree bore, leaving him in despair when the tree is stolen by the 10th Wang patriarch.
When he realizes that this imperfection the path becomes clear. As he plants the new fruit and the severs the thoughts regarding the stolen tree, a new and sturdier tree grows (lets call it an eternal tree).

Essentially, the eternal stratum is like the ability to see the cycle of life within yourself, death included, and regenerate by realizing the life of the Dao Fruit which grows into another tree to once again bears fruit.

Adelheid fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 1, 2016

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013
The new series "I'm Really a Superstar!" is excellent, strongly recommend it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Uggggh, it looks really interesting but I'm already binge reading Tyrant of Emperors. I guess I'll get around to it once I lose interest in how xianxia dickhead MC #473 fucks over the supporting cast, figuratively and literally.

• Locked thread