Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

oldpainless posted:

Is date rape so common everyone in a restaurant has personal experience with it?

:can:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Yeah let's not open that can of worms please.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

As long as the previous owner disclosed it, the buyer is responsible for getting someone to take care of the infestation.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

ParserGirl posted:

The story is ridiculous but most roofies make someone appear drunk, and work slowly enough that the victim is still able to walk and be lead away while their date makes excuses for them having had a little too much to drink. One of the warning signs is feeling far more inebriated after one or two drinks than would otherwise be typical.

And here I thought they were for use in the home, or in nightclubs where it's not unusual for people to over indulge.
Still poisoning the last drink after eating seems like it would be more sensible than getting it in the first before they even began the meal. But without that the story couldn't have had the date go on another 40 minutes for security to review the CCTV and the police to arrive.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Enfys posted:

"Some heroes don't wear capes."

They do know that we don't actually live in the Marvel universe, right?

It's a common phrase on the Internet

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Dead or alive?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Tripped over this while reading about vodka made with water from fog catchers....

Apparently the anti-rape bar squad story is true.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/3-women-stop-an-attempted-date-rape-7952176.php

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Is date rape so common everyone in a restaurant has personal experience with it?

It is in THIS restaurant!

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Well I'm really surprised the entire story was true. It's got all the hallmarks of STDH.
That poor woman, it must have been the most uncomfortable date of her life waiting for the police to arrive.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Orgasm

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

What an idiot, doesn't close his bracket (the smiley doesn't count

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Spam

quote:

This troper was in astronomy class when the teacher decided to play the Universe Song by... you guessed it, Monty Python. The song ends, and the CD moves on into the Spam Song. Teacher goes to turn it off, and two entire rows scream "NO!". Everyone turns to stare at the rows, who proceed to sing along, with one providing the "Spam, spam, spam, spam" and other other providing "Wonderful spam, lovely spam!" This troper was in the "spam, spam, spam, spam" row. The non-singing student beside her edged his desk away.

Texas

quote:

If you live in Texas, chances are you've experienced at least one instance of someone starting to sing "The stars at night/are clear and bright..." and then one or multiple other parties joining in with the appropriate *clap clap clap CLAP* "Deep in the heart of Texas!" A particularly awesome example occured when this troper was at the Revolve tour (a giant all-girls Christian concert event) and the entire crowd of almost two thousand teenage girls and their moms finished the song after the announcer's tentative prompt. I Am Not Making This Up

Acting

quote:

This troper's acting class (which basically consists of the best actors in the school and three or four kids doing it just for credit) was doing a unit on musical theatre, and one of the girls brought in the soundtrack for Wicked that she was using for her song. After the first batch of students finished up and we started to put the classroom back in order, for the last 10 minutes or so she played the CD. It ended with about ten people all singing along to "Popular", with this troper dancing by the singers with a hat he was taking back to the costume closet. He finished off the song himself with the final note, which he decided to sustain long after everyone else stopped.
Said acting class also took a field trip to see a production of Kiss Me, Kate at the theatre near the Orlando Science Center. On the bus ride there, we got at least half the bus to start singing along to various songs by N*Sync and the Backstreet Boys.

Choir

quote:

As a choir/theatre kid, I've been involved in more than one of these. My personal favorite was during a pre-rehearsal dinner when a kid I was sitting with started softly singing "Stand by Me" by Ben E. King. I started singing the bass line, and soon other kids were beatboxing, harmonizing on the melody, and stacking chords on top of my bass line. Eventually we had all 40 kids either singing the melody, harmonizing, or acting as backup vocals.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

quote:

If you live in Texas, chances are you've experienced at least one instance of someone starting to sing "The stars at night/are clear and bright... and then one or multiple other parties joining in with the appropriate *clap clap clap CLAP* "Deep in the heart of Texas!" A particularly awesome example occured when this troper was at the Revolve tour (a giant all-girls Christian concert event) and the entire crowd of almost two thousand teenage girls and their moms finished the song after the announcer's tentative prompt. I Am Not Making This Up"

Apparently they don't really live in Texas, cause those aren't even the right loving lyrics. The stars at night are BIG and bright. I'm from New England and even I know this.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
People sung along? At a concert???? Oh my god

also no Texan has ever burst out in a group singing of that dumb song, the stars aren't clear or bright here and it's really hot and wet and no one likes it

e: the stars at night/can't be seen under the loving biblical floods

Xen Tricks has a new favorite as of 12:04 on May 30, 2016

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Most of those are just 'people sing in groups at times when it would be more or less appropriate to do so'. Like yeah, kids sing on bus trips. A story worth the telling.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

e: poo poo that didn't happen: me reading the thread before posting.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 14:11 on May 30, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

e: poo poo that didn't happen: me reading the thread before posting.

You're swift ;)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Xen Tricks posted:

People sung along? At a concert???? Oh my god

also no Texan has ever burst out in a group singing of that dumb song, the stars aren't clear or bright here and it's really hot and wet and no one likes it

e: the stars at night/can't be seen under the loving biblical floods

I think it's actually relatively common in the weird small cities. So common that, apparently, it's banned in a lot of factories because people clapping along and being distracted were causing injuries with heavy machinery.

I do want this rain to stop though, it's been so wet for so long. :smith:

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

I think it's actually relatively common in the weird small cities. So common that, apparently, it's banned in a lot of factories because people clapping along and being distracted were causing injuries with heavy machinery.

I love that mental image so much, people just enthusiastically clapping along until oh drat it Jim Bob got caught in the lathe again.

Also yes it would be nice if it ever returns to the old ways of "every storm not causing catastrophic flooding"

Xen Tricks has a new favorite as of 15:43 on May 30, 2016

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

EmmyOk posted:

You're swift ;)

:how:

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

This raises so many questions. Like, how old is our protagonist? What gender? And why was Dad under the bed?

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

You're swift ;)

"Dad, how long were you under the bed for? "

"Long enough son... long enough"

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
Standard STDH, but 14 and 15 are gems

http://www.pref.com/a/jaw/19-people...4aadfcb28032793

14. I work at an after school program for underprivileged youth. In the neighborhood we serve, our population of kids is about 85% Hispanic.

None of them know I understand Spanish. (I comprehend much better than I can recall vocabulary, so I never speak it. But I've had enough exposure through school and several different service industry jobs in close contact with Spanish speakers that I understand the majority of what I hear.)

When they're mad at me, they call me a motherfucker, an rear end in a top hat, an idiot and a fatass under their breath. But I let it slide, because if they realized I understood, they might stop using it to hold conversations they don't want me to hear.

And then I'd lose the ability to find out about things that I can help them with, like whose parents are making them drop out of school to make money for the family - therefore whose life I could change by casually mentioning online GED classes. I wouldn't hear them talking about a kid who reeks of piss today, and be able to quietly make a call to the kid's parents to ask them to bring a change of clothes. I wouldn't hear the laments about how there's no way they're going to college because they'll never find the money; and then how would I know to offer a special college finance and scholarship workshop once a week?

They don't know how much I understand, but it's not the stuff they say about me that matters.
- hufflepufftato

15. I'm a black guy living in Japan. I hear things ALL the time, but this exchange remains my favorite. I was sitting on the train and there were two girls standing next to me.

Girl 1: Wow look, it's a black guy.

Girl 2: Yeah, I've never seen one in person.

Girl 1: He's quite big and scary, don't you think?

Girl 2: Yeah...but you'd still sleep with him, wouldn't you?

Girl 1: So would you!

Unfortunately I didn't make anything happen from that. :/

overseer07 has a new favorite as of 02:22 on May 31, 2016

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

I don't think 14 is that far fetched.

15 though, missing a "*In perfect Japanese*" reply from the black guy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Khazar-khum posted:

This troper's acting class (which basically consists of the best actors in the school and three or four kids doing it just for credit) was doing a unit on musical theatre, and one of the girls brought in the soundtrack for Wicked that she was using for her song. After the first batch of students finished up and we started to put the classroom back in order, for the last 10 minutes or so she played the CD. It ended with about ten people all singing along to "Popular", with this troper dancing by the singers with a hat he was taking back to the costume closet. He finished off the song himself with the final note, which he decided to sustain long after everyone else stopped.
Said acting class also took a field trip to see a production of Kiss Me, Kate at the theatre near the Orlando Science Center. On the bus ride there, we got at least half the bus to start singing along to various songs by N*Sync and the Backstreet Boys.

Holy poo poo, I was part of that field trip.

This was in I think 10th grade at Lake Mary, which would have been 8 years ago? I actually do remember that singing along to boy bands on the bus. My English class also took a trip to that theatre (the Orlando Shakespeare Theatre) to see Hamlet in 12th grade. I don't remember the "Popular" thing specifically, but Wicked was indeed a common choice for kids to use for their musical performances. Their description of the class was also completely accurate: there was a Drama class that was just a generic and basic theatre class that had a mix of random students, and then Acting 1 and Acting 2 classes available afterward that were ostensibly meant to be more detailed but really just provided an excuse for all the Drama Club students to have a class all to themselves.

This is definitely the most bizarre thing I've seen posted in this thread.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Holy poo poo, I was part of that field trip.

This was in I think 10th grade at Lake Mary, which would have been 8 years ago? I actually do remember that singing along to boy bands on the bus. My English class also took a trip to that theatre (the Orlando Shakespeare Theatre) to see Hamlet in 12th grade. I don't remember the "Popular" thing specifically, but Wicked was indeed a common choice for kids to use for their musical performances. Their description of the class was also completely accurate: there was a Drama class that was just a generic and basic theatre class that had a mix of random students, and then Acting 1 and Acting 2 classes available afterward that were ostensibly meant to be more detailed but really just provided an excuse for all the Drama Club students to have a class all to themselves.

This is definitely the most bizarre thing I've seen posted in this thread.

This is somehow more boring than what you quoted

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
I sincerely hope this idiot really tries this. Assuming the horse doesn't hurt him, the owner will.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Captain Monkey posted:

first theres not enough water now theres to much!? make up your mind texas

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Khazar-khum posted:

I sincerely hope this idiot really tries this. Assuming the horse doesn't hurt him, the owner will.

A good post from Games :monocle:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Imapanda posted:

Good mom. :3:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Hell of a tribute, that is...

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

bringmyfishback posted:

His friend is probably cussing him out from the great beyond for picking such a lovely beer to remember him with.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

And that gentleman was none other than Donald Trump!

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
Hey barkeep, give me your cheapest beer, I need to memorialize a fallen hero

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At the end of the night his memorial beer gets emptied in the sink too.

Really though, the only STDH part of that is the note. People actually do that, but they want everyone to know it when they do.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

bringmyfishback posted:

And after he left, the bartender sold that same bottle again. :capitalism:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You're supposed to pour one out, not just leave it with some stupid note.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Jim really loved making people clean up after him, so I just leave poo poo for other people to pick up on the bar in his memory.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/voldemortsbicep/status/719878711768690688

If you guys are gonna call twitter exchanges fake, at least bother to check.