Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

alansmithee posted:

I kinda wish I'd have waited now to pick up LotR stuff. I've recently got the first three sets, but if they're moving on to another co-op LCG I'd rather just start fresh. Also I'm kinda one of those suckers for Lovecraftian stuff (I actually have all the arckham horror board game stuff, and eldritch horror as well).

Yea but unlike agot 1st edition you can still get a ton of milage out of your LOTR cards. Also I can't see LOTR going anywhere. It still moves a ton of product and it seems every time something comes back in print it flies off the shelves. Turning off the LOTR faucet for an eldritch game seems zany as well because cthulhu based card games haven't gone so well for them before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
They won't stop reprinting the cycles they've already made. That would be lunacy.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?
This is the biggest inside joke in the LOTR community. Can it be a rule to not discuss speculation of LOTR dying?

sassassin posted:

They're at the end of the book at it's already got a huge number of expansions and the people running it don't give a poo poo about LotR itself and are already eyeing new projects.

Dragging it out with new stuff fewer and fewer people will buy doesn't make sense, especially when power creep has already made a lot of early expansion player cards obsolete. They'll get Frodo to Mount Doom then reprint stuff periodically until it stops selling.

This is the dumbest loving thing I've read. I know Caleb and Matt personally and they bleed LOTR. Power creep isn't a thing. If anything, there has been a throttling of power. They have been focused on new mechanics, rather than just upping strength.

Let's move on.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Why haven't they read the books, then?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

alansmithee posted:

I kinda wish I'd have waited now to pick up LotR stuff. I've recently got the first three sets, but if they're moving on to another co-op LCG I'd rather just start fresh. Also I'm kinda one of those suckers for Lovecraftian stuff (I actually have all the arckham horror board game stuff, and eldritch horror as well).

The good news is, you're allowed to play both!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

sassassin posted:

Ah, you're a loving grognard, I get it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm enough of a Tolkein grognard to just accept that nothing will please me and pretend that it's all taking place in some alternate universe. And then I get to enjoy a pretty sweet coop game.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

StashAugustine posted:

I'm enough of a Tolkein grognard to just accept that nothing will please me and pretend that it's all taking place in some alternate universe. And then I get to enjoy a pretty sweet coop game.

The alternate Horatio Hornblower/Muppet Treasure Island Tolkien universe.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
High seas adventures and scrabbling for treasure are two things that are specifically not-Tolkien.

Maybe the next pack will involve setting up new factories in the Shire, while the evil gentry try to keep the working man down.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

sassassin posted:

High seas adventures and scrabbling for treasure are two things that are specifically not-Tolkien.

When was the last time you read The Hobbit? Scrabbling for treasure is very much a part of that story.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mongol posted:

This is the biggest inside joke in the LOTR community. Can it be a rule to not discuss speculation of LOTR dying?

This is the dumbest loving thing I've read. I know Caleb and Matt personally and they bleed LOTR. Power creep isn't a thing. If anything, there has been a throttling of power. They have been focused on new mechanics, rather than just upping strength.

Let's move on.

i could honestly see them not wanting to support two co-op LCGs at once or not thinking there's a big enough market for both of them, sorry to burst your bubble. i hope it doesn't go anywhere though! i like it a lot and would play both

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
LotR is consistently one of their best selling titles. That's why people don't think it'll get killed off.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CaptainRightful posted:

When was the last time you read The Hobbit? Scrabbling for treasure is very much a part of that story.

And everyone learns a very important lesson that it is a really bad idea.

LotR continues the theme.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Aside from 4 of the series' protagonists wielding elven blades they found from looting a troll's treasure horde.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Foehammer posted:

Aside from 4 of the series' protagonists wielding elven blades they found from looting a troll's treasure horde.

But they didn't go on a quest to take those swords. Desiring treasures is bad (the ring, Smaug's treasure, the covetous Kings of Men & Dwarves, Lobelia Sackville-Baggins, Aragorn asking for his many heirlooms...), happening on rewards is fine (the ring), as is receiving reward for good works done without hope of it (the mithril vest, those swords etc.). The ability to let items of "value" go is also central to Tolkien's view of "goodness" (as is light skin).

Treasure hunting is coded negatively in the books. And sailing out to sea has specific thematic meaning.

They wanted to make a sailing and treasure hunting game and that's cool. Doesn't chulhu or whatever live in the sea?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

sassassin posted:

They wanted to make a sailing and treasure hunting game and that's cool. Doesn't chulhu or whatever live in the sea?

Pretty sure he's gnawing at the roots of Caradhras

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
I won a game of thrones tournament today with Martell/Tyrell!
There were only 6 of us so it was a tiny tournament, but I had a good time and now have like 5 promos. :3:

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

sassassin posted:

Ummmm, they have?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I won a game of thrones tournament today with Martell/Tyrell!
There were only 6 of us so it was a tiny tournament, but I had a good time and now have like 5 promos. :3:

What's your deck? I'm gonna put some decks together this week and line both those houses.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

pbpancho posted:

Ummmm, they have?

Then why does the character we're told would draw too much attention if he went with the Fellowship have the lowest threat value in the game?

If they "bleed lotr" it's a gushing head wound. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt by saying they just don't care that much and want to make different funny card games, and will get that chance soon when LotR finishes.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

sassassin posted:

Then why does the character we're told would draw too much attention if he went with the Fellowship have the lowest threat value in the game?

If they "bleed lotr" it's a gushing head wound. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt by saying they just don't care that much and want to make different funny card games, and will get that chance soon when LotR finishes.

I assume you mean Glorfindel? Who wasn't even developed by Matt or Caleb because he came out back in the 2nd cycle of the game? How the gently caress does that mean that the current developers don't know care about LOTR?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

LotR is consistently one of their best selling titles. That's why people don't think it'll get killed off.

Do we know what the rankings are for lcg sales?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Last year I heard Android, LotR, then everything else a ways back, but that was before AGoT 2.0, eh uh seems to be doing very well. Those are definitely the top three though. Star Wars might be close.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

What's your deck? I'm gonna put some decks together this week and line both those houses.

https://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/4342/flo-ridas-portland-spring-tournament-winner-26-people-1.0

A modified version of this pretty much, to include Tyenne who did a lot of work but probably would be better in Fealty.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Ah yeah spirit glorfindel that increases youŕ threat when they quest.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Unless anyone wants to actually provide some concrete evidence that FFG are going to ditch LOTR LCG why worry about it? It's a big seller and has plenty of content already. No biggie.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

So beat the flight from Moria today.
Started with a feint, Asfaloth, Stewad of Gondor. During Setup I had A foe beyond fizzle because there was nothing in the victory display, and an easy location. First quest card for stage 2 was hasty council, so more victory points to buff the Balrog ptreey quick. Got a cave troll right up. Ended up on Goung down, or going up, as the choice from Hasty council. Bypassed the quest and ended up on the Escape from the darkness on the next quest stage. Got Abandoned tools from the draw, guarded by an Cheiftan of the Pit. Used feint, killed it. Aragorn picked up the abandoned tools. Aragorn also had unexpected courage. So it's the end of the second round, I have the tools on acourageous aragorn. Game won by the end of the 4th round.
Had to test of will some bad treacheries, but all in all no trouble.

Talk about luck.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The Redhorn Gate: Lots of locations, just a matter of getting through them. Ended up having the Dimril stair, Caradhras and a black arrow to mak up my 5 victoy points. Had the sword that was broken on Aragorn to keep my willpower up on one deck. And luckily had the dimril stair to drop two Freezing colds.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
After smashing my head against the Trolls at Carrock one time too many yesterday, I've decided "gently caress it" and added all of Mirkwood APs to my card pool. I'm not going to have time to deckbuild tonight, specially with new cards (holy poo poo is A Burning Brand awesome) but want to get a couple of games in. Gimli/Thalin/Eowyn's deck from Path of Beorn is an option, but I'd rather try something different. Is there any place I can search for decks using only a specific cycle?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Amoeba102 posted:

Ah yeah spirit glorfindel that increases youŕ threat when they quest.

In practice he'll never raise your threat enough to make him a threatening choice, given how low it starts, Light of Valinor, and how good he is as an attacker. There's a reason he's the most popular hero choice (Galadriel maybe? Another super-low threat choice for what you get).

pbpancho posted:

I assume you mean Glorfindel? Who wasn't even developed by Matt or Caleb because he came out back in the 2nd cycle of the game? How the gently caress does that mean that the current developers don't know care about LOTR?

Then this last cycle in general. It's all over the place in terms of theme, art direction, mechanics...

Not to say it's a bad game cycle. It's just moved on from LotR.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Here's a neat article on Master of Lore about why The Grey Havens/Dream-Chaser cycle fits perfectly within Tolkien's world.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Single Tight Female posted:

Here's a neat article on Master of Lore about why The Grey Havens/Dream-Chaser cycle fits perfectly within Tolkien's world.

It's like saying a cycle where players steal a magic ring and build weapons factories in The Shire fits perfectly within Tolkien's world.

Tolkien's writing frequently use the sea, but in specific and consistent ways; 'the Sea once again represents a mysterious longing for something greater beyond earthly delight'. Fighting pirates and searching for treasures isn't a comfortable fit (nor is coming home afterwards, the sea is usually a one-way journey).

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
As I've mentioned before I actually don't care about the lore except as something to hang the game on. So I'm not going to argue over the merits of either argument. Just presenting that article because it's pretty much the first counterpoint to people saying The Grey Havens stuff doesn't fit.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Single Tight Female posted:

As I've mentioned before I actually don't care about the lore except as something to hang the game on. So I'm not going to argue over the merits of either argument. Just presenting that article because it's pretty much the first counterpoint to people saying The Grey Havens stuff doesn't fit.

I read it and I enjoyed reading it and then I enjoyed disagreeing with it.

The people who feel that this cycle "fits" are the people who think of Tolkien's writings as a massive living, breathing world where of course if there are ships and a sea there must logically be pirates and islands and treasure and Tolkien didn't say there weren't any of these things did he?!?

But the Tolkiens actually just published a selection of books which have specific themes and how things are used is as if not more important than the idea that they exist at all. When you ignore (or just fail to identify) these themes and motifs you end up producing tone-deaf fanfiction.

Some people don't care about that and that's fine. The designers don't either. I'm sure the next hero will be a low-born and swarthy republican.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

https://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/4342/flo-ridas-portland-spring-tournament-winner-26-people-1.0

A modified version of this pretty much, to include Tyenne who did a lot of work but probably would be better in Fealty.

Thanks!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Dead Marshes quest question: Can I win this with Gollum lost in the encounter deck? It seems pretty silly, and, RAW, the best approach seems to be to ignore Gollum and his escape attempts completely.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Fat Samurai posted:

Dead Marshes quest question: Can I win this with Gollum lost in the encounter deck? It seems pretty silly, and, RAW, the best approach seems to be to ignore Gollum and his escape attempts completely.

You need to have Gollum to win. It can be a strategic move to attempt to lose & re-capture Gollum if he has >5 tokens on him, but then you'd better have something like Shadow of the Past to recover him in case he gets played as a shadow card.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Foehammer posted:

You need to have Gollum to win. It can be a strategic move to attempt to lose & re-capture Gollum if he has >5 tokens on him, but then you'd better have something like Shadow of the Past to recover him in case he gets played as a shadow card.

Denethor and Henamarth Riversong are also helpful.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I'm looking to sell a complete AGoT2 collection (minus whatever the most recent pack was). Anyone have any experience trying to sell something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010

tokenbrownguy posted:

I'm looking to sell a complete AGoT2 collection (minus whatever the most recent pack was). Anyone have any experience trying to sell something like that?

If you decide you want to split this up I'm interested in everything other than the core cards. Send me a PM if you'd like.