Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

whee

started out maitre'd for the jazz show upstairs so the GM could catch garrison keillor live one last time (the GM likes to catch some of this singer, easy way to do it and also not have to pay an extra person--which i don't mean critically)

once all the tables were sat upstairs whoops regular non-jazz related service downstairs is coming to pieces, guess who gets to play emergency support floor manager

it was actually really rewarding but now i have to get up in like...five hours to set up the continental breakfast for my yacht club

and honestly, at least for now, i wouldn't have it any other way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Stockholm Syndrome is a hell of a thing

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

JawKnee posted:

Stockholm Syndrome is a hell of a thing

$50/hr is a hell of a thing.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

$50/hr is a hell of a thing.

:lol: at the idea of managers making tips

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

actually now that I've woken back up and given some of my joints a chance to express their contempt for the rest of my body i could probably stand to have it some other way

specifically a way where i'd stopped aging past like, 24

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

First thing I saw walking into the dining room today was our blackboard sign with "Honoring Baby David" written on it and I almost said aloud "That is not appropriate signage for a dead baby." The baby was very much alive and the event was merely baby shower.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Liquid Communism posted:

Absolutely, both of the stores in CB are on their distro list. Hy-Vee's gotten a lot better over the last few years, they get a lot of my business. Might want to call ahead and see what varieties they're stocking, I really enjoy most of Exile's stuff but for sours specifically you're looking for Beatnick Sour or any of the Bohemians. Blood Orange releases Friday at the brewery, so not sure how long it'll take to get it out to the retail outlets.

Finally did this btw, looking forward to putting Beatnik Sour inside me.

Through some work of magic as of Monday I will have had four of the last eight days off, which is just as well since a can fell from the top rack and landed edge-first just above the nailbed of my big toe. I woke up once during oral surgery and it doesn't even compare to how much that hurt. Like I feel like I understand the 10 on the pain scale now. Anyway I've been on the mend so this time off has been nice, almost worth the tradeoff for a few lovely paychecks tbh.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
We're going to stop being open on Mondays since we don't get squat for customers on Mondays, and start doing Sat/Sun Brunch instead, having previously been closed on Sundays. As the only person in a position dedicated to working prep, the chef-owners have given me a choice in regard to how I want my schedule to adjust (provided that whatever I choose ends up working for the restaurant). I can either have Sundays off, work on Monday when no one else is in the building/in the way with the condition that I do all of the dishes that I generate, followed by a Tuesday off, OR I can work Wed-Sun, and have a Mon-Tue weekend, which would be similar to what I do now in that I don't work on our first day of service for the week, OR I can figure out another schedule, potentially including my current Tue-Sat. What would you guys want to do in my position?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

a work-day with literally no one to bother you?

Is this a real question?

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Uhhhh yeah take the drat Sunday off man and chill with friends / family.

Work Monday in peace and quite.

Smoke mad dank and prep.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

What the gently caress, prep alone. Make it a zen day and do your thing.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Why would you work in an empty restaurant?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

We're going to stop being open on Mondays since we don't get squat for customers on Mondays, and start doing Sat/Sun Brunch instead, having previously been closed on Sundays. As the only person in a position dedicated to working prep, the chef-owners have given me a choice in regard to how I want my schedule to adjust (provided that whatever I choose ends up working for the restaurant). I can either have Sundays off, work on Monday when no one else is in the building/in the way with the condition that I do all of the dishes that I generate, followed by a Tuesday off, OR I can work Wed-Sun, and have a Mon-Tue weekend, which would be similar to what I do now in that I don't work on our first day of service for the week, OR I can figure out another schedule, potentially including my current Tue-Sat. What would you guys want to do in my position?

I would work by myself and take Sunday off.

RandomPauI posted:

Because it's better than working in a restaurant full of assholes

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
That's what I was leaning towards, since I generally do all the prep work myself anyway, but with everyone in the goddamned way. The only downsides are that my weekend gets split up and having to do my own dishes, but it's probably worth it. I already told them I'd give it a trial run on the first week of the new hours, but I figured I'd check in to the thread to see if there was something I was missing.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I guess it also depends what time the prep work is - if you can do it morning to shortly after mid-day you still have your afternoon/evening - and for me that was always awesome.

Worst part of industry work for me was always being tired until the afternoon and only getting to enjoy them a few days out of the week anyhow.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

RandomPauI posted:

I would assume they will be doing prep for the next day/evening. There is a lot of stuff you can do ahead of time.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

because hell is other people

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Also can't you just knocked out the prep In a few hours and then also take the rest of Monday off??

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Absolutely I would work when nobody was around. You can crank some music up, take up ALL the burners and ALL the ovens, really get some poo poo done.

We had a kitchen manager type where I worked.. we were only open dinner and most prep began around noon or 1pm, but kitchen manager worked more of a 9-5 and he would do prep and also receive orders.. I would've enjoyed a gig like that.

As a sous, I also had the opportunity to work alone for hours.. it was when I would come into work 4 hours ahead of everyone else or stay 4 hours later just to catch up :smithicide:

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
The shift will still probably take 8-10 hours just because everything will have been wiped out over the weekend and need to be done, so it's not like it'll be a quick half-day. Not having anyone in the way and having to stop and re-wash our limited number of large stockpots should hopefully even out time-wise.

Plus, now when our trucks come on Monday, I can be there to check them in properly instead of finding out whatever they shorted/substituted us throughout the week as I discover that we don't have the ingredients we need.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Plus, now when our trucks come on Monday, I can be there to check them in properly instead of finding out whatever they shorted/substituted us throughout the week as I discover that we don't have the ingredients we need.

that alone would be reason enough for me, tbh

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Boss yelled at me for the third time in a row for "not prepping my area in time for work" after scheduling me right when tickets start spitting. gently caress you, I'm on salary and not going to show up, unpaid, a half hour to an hour early to prep my station when we have a goddamn guy for that.

Also why would anyone have to think about having a day to themselves to work? That's just lunacy.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

fizzymercy posted:

gently caress you, I'm on salary and not going to show up,

This isn't the industry for you

Hauki
May 11, 2010

fizzymercy posted:

Boss yelled at me for the third time in a row for "not prepping my area in time for work" after scheduling me right when tickets start spitting. gently caress you, I'm on salary and not going to show up, unpaid, a half hour to an hour early to prep my station when we have a goddamn guy for that.

Also why would anyone have to think about having a day to themselves to work? That's just lunacy.

hahahaha

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

fizzymercy posted:

I think you're thinking of hourly, not salary.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Of course the AC unit poo poo the bed this morning. We're slammed busy. I'm hot and sweaty as gently caress. Oh god.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

A Man and his dog posted:

Of course the AC unit poo poo the bed this morning. We're slammed busy. I'm hot and sweaty as gently caress. Oh god.

I took some PTO for a half day, went and watched XMen with my wife and now I'm drinking beer and gearing up to watch the basketball game with some ribeyes in the immersion circulator and a head of golden cauliflower roasting in the oven.

Come join me outside the industry guys.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I took some PTO for a half day, went and watched XMen with my wife and now I'm drinking beer and gearing up to watch the basketball game with some ribeyes in the immersion circulator and a head of golden cauliflower roasting in the oven.

I stayed in bed til the afternoon hung over, after drinking a bunch of beers and eating brisket and whatnot yesterday.

The struggle is real.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Shooting Blanks posted:

The struggle is real.

Went to bed ~5 hours earlier than usual bc I was falling down drunk after only two (11%) beers and like 3-4 shots in a few hours, way less than I normally drink in a night. I was suspicious that maybe I got roofied until I woke up at the crack of dawn, drank a quart of water and promptly vomited. Spent the whole day on the couch in between taking 100% of farts to the toilet. Go figure that this is how I spent a holiday since the flu passes me by every other time. Verily, the struggle is real.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Errant Gin Monks posted:

During the slow days I think "What if I just got some CompTIA certs and became a tech monkey."

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Not even a little bit. I'm giving myself a year of having 3 jobs before I burn out but hopefully by then I'll be debt free and I'll have a salary shot locked at my actual career and I can cut industry work to 1-2 days a week. I just love the money.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

how :(

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

RandomPauI posted:

Because cooks aren't beholden to tips to survive, so a day of getting to do all the back prep, deep cleaning, and general bullshit that never gets taken care of without having to actually serve customers is the tits.

Then again, what do I care, I clocked 8 hours of holiday pay today while at the lake with my feet in the water and a beer in my hand.

Get out of the industry. There is more to life than collapsing exhausted and drunk just to crawl back in to work again.

Republicans posted:

During the slow days I think "What if I just got some CompTIA certs and became a tech monkey."

This is pretty much what I did. If you're half competent at following written direction, you could do the job as well as some of the loving idiots who've worked for me in the last couple years.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 31, 2016

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
Why the gently caress was i so busy tonight. Who the gently caress goes out for bullshit vegan hipster pizza on memorial day

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Capturing the moment from hair-loopies to big bellies.
I work overnight and I can't tell you how nice it is to have all the prep space I need and all the equipment to myself.

But that's about to end in 2.5 weeks, put in my notice last week and after 11 years, I'm done being a cook for a long while.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Get some lovely CompTIA certs. Get a job as a desktop janitor. You will start out making more than you make now. After a year or two work on some Microsoft certs on desktop crap. Get your cert. Move over to the server side of life. Get some certs there after you get experience with the systems.

Congrats you are making a lot more money and only working 40 hours a week.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Am I like, the only person doing relatively well in this industry around here?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

The bartenders usually do OK.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Nah, I'm doing pretty good too at my hospital gig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I'm doing okay, but I also have a lot of sheer dumb luck involved in my life outside of work.

• Locked thread